HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 1:22 PM
arf

2-2 for 35-16

Rematch week
BC @ Montreal: no idea how Montreal lost to Ottawa last week. No, Nick Arbuckle was why. Not sure why no one showed up for it. They are losing this week and no one is showing up.
Toronto @ Ottawa: ugh. No idea. Nick Arbuckle? Sure. Ottawa makes the Grey Cup with the pickup.
Saskatchewan @ Winnipeg: way closer than I thought it would be. This won't be that close.
Calgary @ Edmonton: still not picking Edmonton despite last week's close score.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 2:32 PM

Cats look absolutely horrible. I don't understand why they've let the team drop off so much between hosting two GCs...

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
Cats look absolutely horrible. I don't understand why they've let the team drop off so much between hosting two GCs...
The loss of Shawn Burke hurt them badly.

I also avidly believe teams are destined to fail when the coach (Orlondo) has more than job (head coach and president of football operations).

Poor off season player transactions (lost more than was brought in) and not having a real (or even healthy) quarterback.

Condell (OC) also needs to leave. Play calling is abysmal

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
I also avidly believe teams are destined to fail when the coach (Orlondo) has more than job (head coach and president of football operations).
Wally Buono, John Hufnagel?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Wally Buono, John Hufnagel?
It used to be more common but it's less so now. Even Wally stepped away from the GM role to focus on coaching in his later years. Hufnagel eventually dropped coaching.

I don't know how Chris Jones in particular can honestly say that the current arrangement isn't doing the Elks a disservice.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It used to be more common but it's less so now. Even Wally stepped away from the GM role to focus on coaching in his later years. Hufnagel eventually dropped coaching.

I don't know how Chris Jones can honestly say that the current arrangement isn't doing the Elks a disservice.
Elks had no choice since they released most of their football ops staff after one year into their contracts. And with that stupid football ops cap that was instituted, they had to give Jones both roles.

Kind of dug their own grave when it comes to that part of their organization.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
The loss of Shawn Burke hurt them badly.

Poor off season player transactions (lost more than was brought in) and not having a real (or even healthy) quarterback.

Condell (OC) also needs to leave. Play calling is abysmal
Fair points all around, except saying "real" QB. I don't think anyone could have predicted Dane's struggles this year, after how good he looked last year.

Maybe I'm spoiled from years of Collaros/Masoli and Masoli/Evans, but IMO the failure was not keeping Dane and making him QB1, it was the lack of a better QB2. No offense to Schiltz, tbh we really need him back as he's the best we've got right now, but going into the season it didn't really inspire confidence.

What happened to Watford? We won a game or two with him, and I'd take him over #3 and #4 who played on Monday.

Last edited by jonny24; Sep 7, 2022 at 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
Fair points all around, except saying "real" QB. I don't think anyone could have predicted Dane's struggles this year, after how good he looked last year.

Maybe I'm spoiled from years of Collaros/Masoli and Masoli/Evans, but IMO the failure was not keeping Dane and making him QB1, it was the lack of a better QB2. No offense to Schiltz, tbh we really need him back as he's the best we've got right now, but going into the season it didn't really inspire confidence.

What happened to Watford? We won a game or two with him, and I'd take him over #3 and #4 who played on Monday.
To clarify, I agree with this --no one could've guessed Dane's downfall and I'm not blaming any coaching staff for that decision! Just pointing out that the cats won't have success until they sort out their QB situation.

Yup I'd feel most confident running with Schiltz at this point. The two on Monday were embarrassing

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 7:41 PM

All this talk about Schlitz is giving me a hankering for a beer!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 6:36 PM

Oof. 2-2 again for a 36-15 record on the season. I'm slipping.

Here's this week's rundown:

BC @ Montreal - BC is slipping and the Als are kind of on the upswing. This would have been a blowout a month ago but Montreal will keep it from getting out of hand. In fact, with Trevor Harris at the helm I would say they have a decent QB advantage over the Lions who are going with Antonio Pipkin. Could there be an upset in the making? Nah. BC.

Toronto @ Ottawa - Both teams on two game win streaks. Classic east division coin toss. Toronto.

Saskatchewan @ Winnipeg - Sask is a decent team but I don't think they'll have the horses to get past the Bombers in Winnipeg. Curious to see how the pass rush will fare without Marino. Winnipeg.

Calgary @ Edmonton - Easy pick, Stamps. Calgary.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 7:20 PM

https://3downnation.com/2022/09/09/a...sell-the-team/

Alouettes’ president Mario Cecchini says Spiegel estate turned down interest from local ownership groups, not actively looking to sell the team

New ownership appeared to be an inevitability for the Montreal Alouettes when minority owner Gary Stern stepped away from team operations last week, but president Mario Cecchini says there are no active attempts to sell the franchise.

A majority stake in the Alouettes — 75 percent — is currently controlled by the estate of the late Sid Spiegel. Estates are usually quick to part with sports franchises but Cecchini was emphatic that a hunt for a new owner had not been initiated.

“Absolutely not. Absolutely not,” he told TSN 690’s Melnick in the Afternoon on Thursday.

“The good news is that three or four groups actually called me, Quebec-based, so there is interest. If there’s one good thing, it’s that but when I mentioned it to the gentleman who manages the estate, they basically said, ‘Thank you, tell them I won’t return the call.’ So that was quite clear.”

The Alouettes were purchased in January of 2020 by Spiegel and his son-in-law and business partner Stern via the corporate entity S and S Sportsco. Spiegel passed away in July 2021, two weeks before the club was scheduled to open the 2021 season and without ever having seen the team he owned play a game.

Stern had been the team’s public face from the beginning of the arrangement but published an open letter last week revealing that he had stepped away from the team and resigned from the CFL’s board of governors, though his 25 percent ownership of the Alouettes would remain. League commissioner Randy Ambrosie indicated via Twitter that he has been in touch with representatives from Spiegel’s estate and they have assured him that the club will carry on with “business as usual” despite the recent shake-up.

Fans who have long clamoured for local ownership may be disappointed that Quebec-based investors have been turned aside but the lack of interest in an immediate sale seems to indicate that the estate is focused on stability with one of its most valuable assets.

“At the end of the day, the strangest thing is that there is no change. And what happened last week happens about every year or so with one or two teams where they just, between the different parts of ownership, decide to change governors or decide to change who the person will report to, a person like me,” Cecchini emphasized.

“That’s what happened last week, but Gary decided to thank the fans and made it public with a letter, and so that made it a little bit bigger than it actually is because, in effect, there’s no change. The ownership structure doesn’t change and I can tell you today that the majority ownership has asked me to be the lead governor, so that makes it even more simpler as far as the operations are concerned.”

Montreal currently sits second in the East Division with a 4-7 record and will host the B.C. Lions (8-2) on Friday evening with kickoff slated for 7:30 p.m. EDT.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 3:09 AM

Good win for the Alouettes tonight hopefully they are back on track

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 3:15 AM
Community Guy

Looking forward to seeing the rematch tomorrow.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Good win for the Alouettes tonight hopefully they are back on track
I sure botched the prediction for that game. It's time for me to face facts, Montreal's defence is for real.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 2:05 PM
Community Guy

Will a new home loss record be set tonight?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Will a new home loss record be set tonight?
I hate to say it, but quite likely yes.

Every team goes through its share of rough patches, Lord knows the Bombers have had a few of their own. But the one in Edmonton right now is just epic. The fans still turning out deserve a medal.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 2:20 PM
Community Guy

^a quadruple rye would be more suitable.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 5:00 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
To clarify, I agree with this --no one could've guessed Dane's downfall and I'm not blaming any coaching staff for that decision! Just pointing out that the cats won't have success until they sort out their QB situation.

Yup I'd feel most confident running with Schiltz at this point. The two on Monday were embarrassing
Sticking with Evans was the smart decision. Who knows what would have happened had Masoli stayed, but at the time it made the most sense to keep Dane. And Newman and Morton are just so raw -- maybe giving both more playing time for the remainder of the season would be smart. I think the team is done for 2022, sadly.

I'm more concerned about the coaching staff. Especially on offence. Condell has been a good OC but I think his time was done several games ago. And the Cats have a suitable replacement in the wings... I don't know why Steinauer hasn't pulled the rip-cord on that yet.

Defence seems like it could be ok, though the lack of tackling proficiency has cost them a lot of yards against. Is that skill or a loss of faith that it matters if they make the stop? STs are well coached -- Butler has a great future in the league, perhaps as our next DC.

It's great to have the bye-week now. But regardless, I may be chugging rye with Coldrsx until (and after) the season is done

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 9:10 PM

lapo is a garbage head coach and Arbuckle is a backup at best. Two excellent chances to win the game in the final 3 minutes and they blow it with poor play-calling a garbage qbing.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
lapo is a garbage head coach and Arbuckle is a backup at best. Two excellent chances to win the game in the final 3 minutes and they blow it with poor play-calling a garbage qbing.
I hope some up and coming ncaa or usports coaches get a chance next year as the CFL coaching carousel is still such an old boys network. Lapo is better as a Coordinator than HC. Montreal Ottawa and probably Sask will need new coaches next year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada