HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 10:09 PM

I would have preferred to have Murray as mayor, don't get me wrong. But he kind of served up the campaign on a platter to his opponents. The stuff he was accused of was like a laundry list of basic things you shouldn't do. It's not like the rest of his campaign was amazing either. I mean, the guy is 65... maybe he's just out of steam.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 1:59 AM

I hope Gillingham at least follows through with his plan to extend Chief Peguis trail to route 90.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 2:49 AM

the leader of the Indigenous led group working on old Kapyong site (sorry cant remember the name of it) was on CJOB today and praising Gillingham about his past work in the City and very positive about him being the Mayor. I think this is yet another reason why making the roadway larger in that area is beneficial. (and yes I know what a billion or trillion $ can get you)

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
the leader of the Indigenous led group working on old Kapyong site (sorry cant remember the name of it) was on CJOB today and praising Gillingham about his past work in the City and very positive about him being the Mayor. I think this is yet another reason why making the roadway larger in that area is beneficial. (and yes I know what a billion or trillion $ can get you)
It seems that Gillingham has been able to maintain good relations with all sorts of different groups. To be honest when I spoke to him I didn’t really sense any sort of heinous behaviour or ulterior motives in his actions he truly is a nice guy.

But so was Bowman…

Also, in terms of Kenaston my major concern is that the area between Academy and Taylor is home to some decent density housing and established neighborhoods that at this point are 50+ year old. If there is a concerted effort to make the land use on the new Indigenous development site more walkable then we might not even need to expand the route. I’m still of the belief that simply providing rapid transit + bike routes with the space that would be used to widen the roads would be a more effective, sustainable, and efficient use of space. It also will do more to alleviate traffic congestion then widening the road which will only worsen traffic conditions as well as noise and general pollution coming from exhaust and particulate matter from tires.

Furthermore, it means less residential vehicles on the road thereby giving commercial truckers more space too operate. Finally, it might give us a better chance at securing federal funding that has already been denied twice. The federal government is funding transit investment all over the country such as giving Hamilton $1.7 billion for an LRT project. So if widening Kenaston can be changed to Rapid transit on Kenaston I’m sure the feds would be more receptive and willing to provide the necessary funds.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 12:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
I hope Gillingham at least follows through with his plan to extend Chief Peguis trail to route 90.
About 25 years too late!

Population growth and new housing in NW Winnipeg should have warranted that years ago!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
About 25 years too late!

Population growth and new housing in NW Winnipeg should have warranted that years ago!
I agree it should have already been done, but I don't think it's too late. There is still plenty of room to do it. Even if they just extended chief Peguis to McPhillips it would be an improvement.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I was thinking....it's pretty amazing that one article from one journalist has changed the future of an entire city for at least a decade.
Partially agree. In my opinion, I think the article put a lot of would-be Murray voters onto the fence. Murray's flaky response to the property tax question at the CBC debate was the straw that broke the camel's back, giving the final nudge to those on the fence that their vote was better given to someone else who didn't have allegations of inappropriate behavior AND an unrealistic vision for the municipality's finances.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 3:41 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Kapyong would be way better without a six-lane highway driving a vehicle canyon between it and the surrounding neighbourhoods....look what it does to Waverley West. Destroys it. Kapyong's plan has big box shit stores all the way down...can't have curb cut access to the highway all the way down or what is the point of building the highway in the first place?

I'm sure he's in support of it because it means the city will have to pay him lots of money for the land he owns.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 3:43 PM

^ Wait, Gillingham owns Kapyong-adjacent land?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 3:44 PM
surely you agree with me

no....the person he referenced talking on the radio.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 3:47 PM

Ah OK, thanks!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 4:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Kapyong would be way better without a six-lane highway driving a vehicle canyon between it and the surrounding neighbourhoods....look what it does to Waverley West. Destroys it. Kapyong's plan has big box shit stores all the way down...can't have curb cut access to the highway all the way down or what is the point of building the highway in the first place?

I'm sure he's in support of it because it means the city will have to pay him lots of money for the land he owns.
Sorry Vike, the genie is already out of the bottle, you don't build a crap load of big box stores and strip malls and then say we can't build roads to accommodate the amount of traffic they generate!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 5:49 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Sorry Vike, the genie is already out of the bottle, you don't build a crap load of big box stores and strip malls and then say we can't build roads to accommodate the amount of traffic they generate!
I think that the plan for the route is wrong, but my beef with it is that it should be a trenched down actual expressway with limited access through there, doesn't have to disrupt surface level flow. Could make all the local streets flyover at grade and push sidewalks and active transit over with them. I don't really see how that would be that disruptive. The part where it splits north of the river will remain a dog's breakfast for the foreseeable future unfortunately. all of bishop, lag, route 90, and an extended chief peguis should be limited access.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
this project being bumped to the top of the municipal priority pile is the clearest possible sign that the mayor has absolutely given up on any vision of this city as anything but car-dependent, sprawling, and crushed by infrastructure deficit.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
this project being bumped to the top of the municipal priority pile is the clearest possible sign that the mayor has absolutely given up on any vision of this city as anything but car-dependent, sprawling, and crushed by infrastructure deficit.
Hard to argue with this.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 6:44 PM

So almost 20 million announced just in the past 2 days by Stefanson for winnipeg homelessness and downtown safety. Glad to see Gillingham's PC connections bearing some fruit for Winnipeg. This to me indicates a spring provincial election is more likely.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 8:26 PM

Holy shit this thread is hilarious. Everyone is praising the new mayor so they can get the moooonnnniiiiiiess. Big road monies.

The Cons are buying votes. But whatever yes it's good to have more money for homeless.

Kapyong people were wary of giving up any land, especially for a road. Now they're praising it. What will be funny is Kenaston will be widened. Still have traffic lights. And people will still only drive in 2 lanes because of habits, buses, parking, potholes.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 8:55 PM

Buying votes in st vital st James and Waverly heights is the only hope Stefanson has of even remotely staying in a bare bones majority. Gillingham's road map to victory is a good one she should try and emulate from a purely political perspective.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Yes i agree, the majority of North American cities will be car dependent for the foreseeable future. What other alternatives would not cause a infrastructure deficit though? RMT infrastructure is also very expensive.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 10:52 PM

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the city spend more on better public transportation, but it's probably not cheaper than building roads.

I see alot of talk about an LRT system. I think we should aim for a light metro system like the REM in Montreal or the skytrain in Vancouver.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan