HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 8:10 PM

News Items of Interest

Former Times-Picayune Sold
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...art_river_home
No word on redevelopment plans, but a commenter noted that Barry Kern was part of the team along with Joe Jaeger and suggested this might be a possible future site for Mardi Gras World, if it needs to be relocated when the Convention Center project move forward. It would certainly be a more visible location, although it's not very easy to access, limiting its attractiveness for residential and hotel uses.

New Orleans among larger cities with fewest apartments in the works, report says
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...s-report-says/

I count about 1300-1400 residential units under construction in large projects (i.e. not individual homes) but that includes condos and public housing. I think a lack of housing is limiting the area's growth. Fortunately there are a few thousand units' worth of construction in the proposed and planning stages, but it would be nice to see some large projects to make a bigger dent in the disparity.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 9:57 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by York1 View Post
Really like how the house looks at night - great lighting.
thanks I appreciate that.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 9:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
No word on redevelopment plans, but a commenter noted that Barry Kern was part of the team along with Joe Jaeger and suggested this might be a possible future site for Mardi Gras World, if it needs to be relocated when the Convention Center project move forward. It would certainly be a more visible location, although it's not very easy to access, limiting its attractiveness for residential and hotel uses.

New Orleans among larger cities with fewest apartments in the works, report says

I count about 1300-1400 residential units under construction in large projects (i.e. not individual homes) but that includes condos and public housing. I think a lack of housing is limiting the area's growth. Fortunately there are a few thousand units' worth of construction in the proposed and planning stages, but it would be nice to see some large projects to make a bigger dent in the disparity.

The issue here is finding parcels large enough to qualify for the statistic they are talking about. tons of small infill but not tons of places to build multi unit projects save for the east.

One project in the east will deliver 500 alone and the one across the street from me is 330 units.

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 7, 2016 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 10:01 PM
-

Quote:
Honestly that makes a ton of sense for Jaeger to be involved. Tulane and port own land that Mardi gras world is leasing. They will need to find a new location and the convention center / jope haegers property is going to want to utilize all that riverfront where it currently is. We will know for sure when things are really about to start because BUKU fest is going to have to move!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 3:28 AM
-

Blaze Pizza New Location
5001 Freret St, Suite B·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: 84FEKY
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Henry Hanisee
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
9/6/2016
Closed:
No
Description
Interior Build-Out of 2437sf as a Restaurant as per plans

814 Baronne St ·HDLC COA · Permit #16-28707-HDLC ·Ref Code: 33HS70
Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Danai J Columbus
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
8/31/2016
Closed:
No
Description
Construct balcony as per drawing and HDLC.

This is What You’ll Be Eating at Lula, Opening In The LGD This November

http://nola.eater.com/2016/9/7/12832...ening-november

Media Advisory: Mayor Landrieu, City Officials to Celebrate Opening of Five New NORDC Teen Centers

SEPTEMBER 07, 2016
NEW ORLEANS – Tomorrow, Mayor Mitch Landrieu will join the New Orleans Recreation Development Commission (NORDC) and City officials to celebrate the opening of five new Teen Centers at NORDC facilities across the city. The Teen Centers will complement NORDC’s robust teen programming, which provides kids ages 12-17 with a safe and structured social growth environment.

The newly remodeled Teen Centers will feature computers, Wi-Fi, air hockey and ping pong tables, as well as televisions equipped with gaming consoles, plus a host of brand new programming options. The new Teen Centers are located at the St. Bernard Center (1500 Lafreniere St.), Sanchez Center (1616 Caffin Ave.), Lyons (624 Louisiana Ave.), Joe W. Brown Recreation Center (5601 Read Blvd.) and Cut-off Recreation Center (6600 Belgrade St.). A sixth Teen Center will open once construction of the Milne Gymnasium (5420 Franklin Ave.) is completed this fall. Funding for this project was generously provided by Capital One, Chevron and Jordan Brand Nike.

El Gato negro Harrison Avenue:

Canal Crossing and Bienville Basin:

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 3:35 AM
-

1630 Canal Hotel:

Ochsner Clinic Canal and Carrollton:

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 4:02 AM
NOLA Razorback

Lula Distillery St Charles

So that article says that the new distillery/restaurant is part of the Prytania Park Hotel expansion? Is that finally going to start? Because Studio WTA had a great design for it I remember, and I'm ready to see that massive lot on the avenue disappear

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 5:59 AM
TL;DR

Quote:

Interesting to slice up this data. NOLA performs slightly better on apartment construction when you control for overall population or net change in population, but it's still in the bottom third of MSAs.

New Orleans is sort of a unique housing market, though. Apartments generally tend to crop up near job centers, but there is no available land near job centers in the suburban parishes; it's all either built up with SFH or it's underwater. The few sites that do remain are heavily restricted by zoning that outlaws new multifamily. Try building an apartment complex today in Jefferson, Plaquemines or St. Tammany. If you don't get laughed out of City Hall, the racist neighbors will come with torches and pitchforks like they did in St. Bernard.

You can really only build multifamily in Orleans, but the zoning is still super-restrictive and burdened with historic districts unless you're in the CBD, East or Algiers.

Other cities don't have the same mix of restrictive zoning and massive natural scarcity of land, except maybe SF - and that's the most expensive housing market in the US. It doesn't surprise me that NOLA has seen such a huge escalation in housing prices, even in response to a relatively small uptick in growth.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 2:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Interesting to slice up this data. NOLA performs slightly better on apartment construction when you control for overall population or net change in population, but it's still in the bottom third of MSAs.

New Orleans is sort of a unique housing market, though. Apartments generally tend to crop up near job centers, but there is no available land near job centers in the suburban parishes; it's all either built up with SFH or it's underwater. The few sites that do remain are heavily restricted by zoning that outlaws new multifamily. Try building an apartment complex today in Jefferson, Plaquemines or St. Tammany. If you don't get laughed out of City Hall, the racist neighbors will come with torches and pitchforks like they did in St. Bernard.

You can really only build multifamily in Orleans, but the zoning is still super-restrictive and burdened with historic districts unless you're in the CBD, East or Algiers.

Other cities don't have the same mix of restrictive zoning and massive natural scarcity of land, except maybe SF - and that's the most expensive housing market in the US. It doesn't surprise me that NOLA has seen such a huge escalation in housing prices, even in response to a relatively small uptick in growth.
Exactly, this is how cities with natural boundaries (lakes, rivers etc), have restrictive growth ... i.e. Vancouver, San Francisco, Manhattan can see such intense price growth because you really cant make more of it and the option to just move a little further out become time and cost prohibitive for most people. Combine that with the hotel industry chasing many of the same properties as what could have been housing and you have a perfect storm of factors.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 3:10 PM

I checked the website, but could not find much information.

How is the Deutsches Haus new building progressing? Have all the plans been OK'd and any move towards construction?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 3:25 PM

My question, with all of the projects going on, is with such limited land for large-scale development, why haven't developers built closer to the height/FAR limits? For example, the Canal Crossing project is only limited by the FAR of 12, so it could easily have been several floors higher without needing to jump through the usual zoning hoops. Likewise with the lot with the Dave and Buster's/garage, they could have easily put 6-10 floors of apartments on top of it.

My point is, yes densely zoned land is scarce, so why not make the most of it? A few extra floors here and there would really add up. From the developers perspective, it should be encouraging to know that someone can just add 1000 units next door and underprice you.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 4:49 PM
-

Quote:
My question, with all of the projects going on, is with such limited land for large-scale development, why haven't developers built closer to the height/FAR limits? For example, the Canal Crossing project is only limited by the FAR of 12, so it could easily have been several floors higher without needing to jump through the usual zoning hoops. Likewise with the lot with the Dave and Buster's/garage, they could have easily put 6-10 floors of apartments on top of it.

My point is, yes densely zoned land is scarce, so why not make the most of it? A few extra floors here and there would really add up. From the developers perspective, it should be encouraging to know that someone can just add 1000 units next door and underprice you.
Its true people could build bigger... every project is different though. But when transitioning cities rarely go full use of the far. There is a transition period and then some previous larger projects that dont use all far are either torn down or expanded. ALso building really large and high just takes a lot longer so its a risk reward at this point. As land runs out though, you will see people utilize far and the density bonus. Probably starting first in areas along the river where overall size of projects is smaller to begin with.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 5:52 PM
TL;DR

^ Also, developers have to get investors and lenders to buy into their plans.

The market's only been hot for a few years in NOLA and before that there was decades of stagnation, so I don't blame developers for being conservative.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 1:54 PM

CBD Moxy Hotel Gets Council Approval:
http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...82966dafa.html

Bywater Upscale Hostel Moves Forward
http://realestate.nola.com/realestat...ml#incart_2box

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 3:30 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Also, developers have to get investors and lenders to buy into their plans.

The market's only been hot for a few years in NOLA and before that there was decades of stagnation, so I don't blame developers for being conservative.
Not to mention post katrina safety concerns which i think people are really starting to feel good about. especially now that its clear flooding can happen in a lot of other places too.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Its true people could build bigger... every project is different though. But when transitioning cities rarely go full use of the far. There is a transition period and then some previous larger projects that dont use all far are either torn down or expanded. ALso building really large and high just takes a lot longer so its a risk reward at this point. As land runs out though, you will see people utilize far and the density bonus. Probably starting first in areas along the river where overall size of projects is smaller to begin with.
I really feel like we're beginning to see the beginning of a new phase in our transitional period too. The South Market District is a great example: look at the height of the two buildings they have planned right now. Those really are some of the tallest we've seen built downtown in a while, and SMD as a whole really highlights that transition from shorter to taller as they tested the market.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 7:59 PM
-

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 8:06 PM
-

I still dont understand how The Troubadour can open next month

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 4:23 PM
-

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 4:34 PM

Nice and FYI, you have to start a new video if you change the orientation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations