Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
McTeague is Canada’s Gas Guru
He's an industry shill, nothing more.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 6:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Surely staffers could be fired for that. Of course the political whores in the Liberal party will follow the money (from the article)

The Liberal Party of Canada is facing a revolt by ministerial staffers, mostly of Arab and Muslim origin, over the Trudeau government's handling of the war in Gaza and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict generally.

Fifty-two Arab and Muslim staffers working in the Liberal government signed a letter addressed to "the leader of the Liberal Party" that says they will not participate in its byelection campaign to hold on to the seat of LaSalle–Emard–Verdun, left vacant by the resignation of former Liberal justice minister David Lametti.

Referring to "the increasing push for Liberal staff members to phone bank and door knock," the letter obtained by CBC News warns that "while many of us started our political careers in elections as volunteers, we can no longer in good conscience campaign for a party that excludes us and our values."

Staffers are not acting alone. They have also asked for and received the support of a group of influential Arab and Muslim donors to the Liberal Party known as the Network 100-GTA, London, Ottawa, Montreal...(bold mine)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Is PP still going to be going on and on about carbon tax, when you have economists starting to come out questioning the merits of eliminating the tax. There was a Scotiabank writeup from a day or two ago:

The Federal Carbon Tax: An Axe to Grind
I think the fundamental problem with your type of analysis is you are assuming that public opinion at this point is being driven by civil society and academic experts. It's not. If anything, it's precisely the opposite at the moment.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Surely staffers could be fired for that. Of course the political whores in the Liberal party will follow the money (from the article)

The Liberal Party of Canada is facing a revolt by ministerial staffers, mostly of Arab and Muslim origin, over the Trudeau government's handling of the war in Gaza and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict generally.

Fifty-two Arab and Muslim staffers working in the Liberal government signed a letter addressed to "the leader of the Liberal Party" that says they will not participate in its byelection campaign to hold on to the seat of LaSalle–Emard–Verdun, left vacant by the resignation of former Liberal justice minister David Lametti.

Referring to "the increasing push for Liberal staff members to phone bank and door knock," the letter obtained by CBC News warns that "while many of us started our political careers in elections as volunteers, we can no longer in good conscience campaign for a party that excludes us and our values."

Staffers are not acting alone. They have also asked for and received the support of a group of influential Arab and Muslim donors to the Liberal Party known as the Network 100-GTA, London, Ottawa, Montreal...(bold mine)
Wow. High emotions for sure. The politicians shouls squash this but I respect those standing up for something. Canada isn't a major player in these discussions but if we changed policies it would be another crack in the dam and a small amount of ammunition for the US change that may happen after Harris is elected. It also points out how much the ethnic politics has changed on this issue in Canada.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Given that every province has the right to run carbon pricing how they want, that's an option. There are two provinces that don't rebate every taxpayer. BC and Quebec. The federal program is a backstop for provinces that refuses to implement federally compliant carbon pricing. Which is also why the feds don't want to run a complicated program directing billions in carbon tax spending in each province. Easier to rebate.

But also, there's no way for the government to keep hundreds of dollars per person and not have a backlash against such a massive tax increase. It's the rebates that make it neutral for most people while still providing a price signal at the point of consumption.
The SCC also probably would not have allowed the selective application of the backstop if the revenues were used to pay for federal program spending. The feds would have had to impose a nationwide carbon tax (ie. equally on every province) to do that, and that would interfere with existing carbon taxes in BC & QC (and also with AB & ON, at the time the program was launched).
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 7:09 PM

Quote:
A bit like threatening to blow a hole in a rapidly sinking boat.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Wow. High emotions for sure. The politicians shouls squash this but I respect those standing up for something. Canada isn't a major player in these discussions but if we changed policies it would be another crack in the dam and a small amount of ammunition for the US change that may happen after Harris is elected. It also points out how much the ethnic politics has changed on this issue in Canada.
Nobody in politics is ever going to say this out loud, but it's giving me a pretty dim view of the Muslim community in Canada, to be honest. Diaspora politics is normal and a natural part of any high-immigration country, but the way Muslim Canadians are putting this issue (which is barely even relevant to Canada as we have no role over there) ahead of anything else makes me question their loyalty to this country. They're essentially placing their religious-compatriot loyalty to Palestinians ahead of the interests of Canada.

Like.. I'm Jewish and pro-Israel but in some alternate scenario where Israel buddied up to the China/Russia axis and was sending weapons to Putin to kill Ukrainians (and thus becoming an enemy of Canada) I absolutely would not be opposing any attempt by Canada to sanction them, because at the end of the day the interests of Canada come first. The same standard should be demanded of every Canadian citizen.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Nobody in politics is ever going to say this out loud, but it's giving me a pretty dim view of the Muslim community in Canada, to be honest. Diaspora politics is normal and a natural part of any high-immigration country, but the way Muslim Canadians are putting this issue (which is barely even relevant to Canada as we have no role over there) ahead of anything else makes me question their loyalty to this country. They're essentially placing their religious-compatriot loyalty to Palestinians ahead of the interests of Canada.

Like.. I'm Jewish and pro-Israel but in some alternate scenario where Israel buddied up to the China/Russia axis and was sending weapons to Putin to kill Ukrainians (and thus becoming an enemy of Canada) I absolutely would not be opposing any attempt by Canada to sanction them, because at the end of the day the interests of Canada come first. The same standard should be demanded of every Canadian citizen.
Meanwhile in Britain....

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 9:00 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Yes but things can change.
Here is a link to the LPC Constitution - LINK.

Please feel free to point out where the PM can unilaterally disband local Electoral District Associations in the next 12 months.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 9:45 PM

The Globe is now actively defining Trudeau's legacy for the history books:

Justin Trudeau’s legacy will be destroying the Canadian consensus on immigration

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...-consensus-on/

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 2:51 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Well, yeah.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'tit Renard View Post
The Globe is now actively defining Trudeau's legacy for the history books:

Justin Trudeau’s legacy will be destroying the Canadian consensus on immigration

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...-consensus-on/
Well that is an opinion piece from a columnist that previously had editorial positions at the National Post and the CBC. She should be relatively balanced.

That is the defining issue today. Will it be the defining issue 10 years from now when everyone looks back at JT in retrospective? I don't know. I think he will be remembered more for his progressive agenda and socks than the immigration policy.

There is still work to do, but he also put in place the ground work for the green energy transition.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Well that is an opinion piece from a columnist that previously had editorial positions at the National Post and the CBC. She should be relatively balanced.

That is the defining issue today. Will it be the defining issue 10 years from now when everyone looks back at JT in retrospective? I don't know. I think he will be remembered more for his progressive agenda and socks than the immigration policy.

There is still work to do, but he also put in place the ground work for the green energy transition.
I think the negative effects of Trudeau's immigration policy will be felt for decades. He reversed 150 years of policy of targeting skilled immigrants who would benefit the economy and has dumped hundreds of thousands of uneducated and unskilled workers into the country who will become a permanent underclass and lead to a lot of the immigration-related problems that Europe has.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Are you high?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:
In interviews with protesters, I've heard Palestine referred to as "home" several times, so yeah, loyalty to Canada is not their first priority when coming to live here. Understandable to a point, as wherever you grew up is always home in your heart, and the entire war is upsetting, especially if it affects your friends and family members.

However, IMHO, to the rest of Canada, bringing the war to our shores in the form of protests, violence against Jews and threats against Jewish institutions, literally trying to leverage the Canadian government to act in their interests, etc. should be considered unacceptable, but it appears that we've been sold out by JT's Liberals, and Canada will likely never recover from it.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 12:32 PM

New Leger poll out this morning showing the same 18 point lead that most polling firms have been showing for the better part of a year.

What's more interesting is the absolutely abysmal numbers for the NDP, with only 15% of respondents saying they'd vote for them if an election were held today.

In this poll, the NDP are in 5th place in Atlantic Canada, behind the Greens and PPC (though technically all three are in a statistical tie).

https://leger360.com/wp-content/uplo...h-2024-002.pdf

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 12:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
In interviews with protesters, I've heard Palestine referred to as "home" several times, so yeah, loyalty to Canada is not their first priority when coming to live here. Understandable to a point, as wherever you grew up is always home in your heart, and the entire war is upsetting, especially if it affects your friends and family members.

However, IMHO, to the rest of Canada, bringing the war to our shores in the form of protests, violence against Jews and threats against Jewish institutions, literally trying to leverage the Canadian government to act in their interests, etc. should be considered unacceptable, but it appears that we've been sold out by JT's Liberals, and Canada will likely never recover from it.
There is a considerable amount of counter-messaging that strongly insists that this actually isn't happening in Canada.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 1:51 PM

Quote:
There is a considerable amount of counter-messaging that strongly insists that this actually isn't happening in Canada.
That’s how political groups, including terrorist-based ones, operate these days. And it works… So, not surprising.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 2:42 PM

Quote:

They think/have been told there is an ongoing genocide and we are supporting it to some extent. If Canada was supporting Nazi Germany in 1943 saying there are two sides to the issue and Germans have the right to be fearful etc and you worked for the governing party you wouldn't use any leverage you have to try and change the Canadian position?

I happen to think that is all nonsense and using the word genocide is ridiculous though once you call sending people to school genocide the word has lost meaning. But they are told Isreal is killing babies on purpose and wants to kill them all. How can they stay silent if that was true? I don't think that is diaspora politics at its worst.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada