HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
That's right, I think adding YVR to the 787 rotation was unnecessary from a route utilization perspective, keeping it to just two cities makes more sense. And of course prioritizing overseas routes is the smartest thing (ie. NRT, CDG, LHR), as these routes need the 787, while the YVR routes could easily be done on 737. And as I noted in my post from yesterday, WS upped the frequency on YVR to HNL, OGG, CUN, and PVR (CUN and PVR are 16x weekly and 15x weekly, respectively) so this makes sense with a full 737 schedule instead of a 787 in the mix. WS still has 1x weekly 737 from YYC-HNL, in addition to the 3x 787.

I've edited my original post to reflect 7x weekly 787 from YYZ.
More an indication of how few 787 WS had. No widebody aircraft on Vancouver-Toronto. In comparison, AC had widebody aircraft from YVR to YUL, YOW and YYZ.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 5:24 AM

Air transat cutting flights and leaving YHM https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240514-tsnw24cxld

Removed routes are:
Hamilton – Cancun
Hamilton – Cayo Coco
Hamilton – Puerto Plata
Hamilton – Punta Cana
Montreal – Havana
Montreal – London Gatwick
Montreal – Miami
Toronto – San Juan

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi330 View Post
Air transat cutting flights and leaving YHM https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240514-tsnw24cxld

Removed routes are:
Hamilton – Cancun
Hamilton – Cayo Coco
Hamilton – Puerto Plata
Hamilton – Punta Cana
Montreal – Havana
Montreal – Miami
Toronto – San Juan
Ouch for YHM.

I guess they still have the seasonal Sunwing flights at least.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 11:23 AM
early dogecoin investor

never mind.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelx88 View Post
Air Transat will increase YQB-CDG to 3X weekly this winter. AF is still seasonal on this route.
The rest of the changes for Air Transat are announced here https://www.travelweek.ca/news/air-t...the-maritimes/

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
Ouch for YHM.

I guess they still have the seasonal Sunwing flights at least.
And WG are supposed to be merged into WS for winter 2024-25. YHM really could use PD to YOW.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 9:52 PM

Quote:

Removed routes are:
Hamilton – Cancun
Hamilton – Cayo Coco
Hamilton – Puerto Plata
Hamilton – Punta Cana
Montreal – Havana
Montreal – Miami
Toronto – San Juan
And it looks like YXU is going to once a week for Cancun and Punta Cana. Although they originally were once a week last year as well and then went twice a week right before Christmas as announced in November.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 11:53 PM

Quote:

Removed routes are:
Hamilton – Cancun
Hamilton – Cayo Coco
Hamilton – Puerto Plata
Hamilton – Punta Cana
Montreal – Havana
Montreal – Miami
Toronto – San Juan
Re: the cuts at YHM, consolidation to YYZ/YUL continues.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 12:21 AM

YYC April 2024 Stats:

Domestic: 904,126 -3.7% [YTD: 3,517,360 +1.46%]
Transborder: 272,829 +1.1% [YTD: 1,118,465 +12.73%]
International: 206,618 +16.7% [YTD: 811,989 +10.40%]

April 2024 Total: 1,383,573 -0.2%
2024 YTD: 5,447,814 +4.88%

YYC has gotten the monthly stats out pretty quickly recently. Domestic continues to be down, but international continues to see big increases.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Re: the cuts at YHM, consolidation to YYZ/YUL continues.
Indeed. Even YOW will be down slightly vs this past winter as 2/3 of winter 2024-25 is loaded with the 320 vs almost exclusively on the 321 in winter 2023-24.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
YYC April 2024 Stats:

Domestic: 904,126 -3.7% [YTD: 3,517,360 +1.46%]
Transborder: 272,829 +1.1% [YTD: 1,118,465 +12.73%]
International: 206,618 +16.7% [YTD: 811,989 +10.40%]

April 2024 Total: 1,383,573 -0.2%
2024 YTD: 5,447,814 +4.88%

YYC has gotten the monthly stats out pretty quickly recently. Domestic continues to be down, but international continues to see big increases.
That’s great! WestJets new seasonal route from Calgary YYC - Reykjavík KEF , Iceland starts today operated by Boeing 737 Max8 & a few times weekly.

It’s the 1st departure from Alberta to Iceland since (end of 2019),when Edmonton YEG use to have service to there on Icelandair.

Last edited by Calfan12; May 15, 2024 at 9:54 AM.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 12:45 PM

YUL is suing YHU over its name change.

https://montrealgazette.com/business...er-name-change

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 3:47 PM

Quote:
YUL is suing YHU over its name change.

https://montrealgazette.com/business...er-name-change
Well that is... stupid. Like I get it but no.

London UK has 5 airports with London in the name.
Toronto has 2 airports with the name Toronto. With the claim YUL is pulling, its like Toronto-BillyBishop not having Toronto in its name because they had it first.

Cry me a river YUL.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post

Toronto has 2 airports with the name Toronto. With the claim YUL is pulling, its like Toronto-BillyBishop not having Toronto in its name because they had it first.

Cry me a river YUL.
I don't think ADM really expects YHU to drop "Montreal" from it's title. That part is clearly going to remain. But I think YHU needs to add "St. Hubert" in its new title. It's as if YTZ was simply called Toronto Airport, without "Billy Bishop".

Each London airport has a specific name in it's title. (Heathrow, Stansted, Luton, Gatwick, City etc.)

That's not the case between YUL and YHU now. YUL is known as "Montreal-Trudeau International Airport", so they have the "Trudeau" bit. I think If YHU had kept "St. Hubert" in it's new rebrand - something along the lines of Montreal-St. Hubert Metropolitan Airport - ADM would have left them alone. But they haven't. Now, is "metropolitan" enough of a difference between YUL and YHU? I don't know. I think ADM might have a point here.

They are playing this the correct way, saying that passengers will not be able to differentiate between the two. And knowing how dumb passengers usually are, they are right.

Remember that British couple that bought tickets to Sydney, Nova Scotia, thinking they bought tickets to Sydney Australia instead?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/oops-...stake-1.353972

That was in 2002. Guess what, it happened 4 other times as well. In 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2017. And it's not just passengers, but travel agents as well. Most of these guys bought their tickets via travel agents.

https://viewfromthewing.com/passenge...ney-australia/

Let's see how this plays out.

Edit: It is worth mentioning, that technically, only YUL is in the city of Montreal proper. Although the city of Dorval (where the terminal building is) isn't a part of the city of Montreal, half the airport grounds (most of runway 06L/24R) resides in the borough of Saint Laurent, which is a part of Montreal. YHU isn't in Montreal at all. So there is that as well.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; May 16, 2024 at 5:19 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 4:55 PM

Sounds like SFO getting upset with OAK wanting to add "San Francisco" to its name.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
Sounds like SFO getting upset with OAK wanting to add "San Francisco" to its name.
Strictly speaking, SFO is not located in San Francisco. It's located in San Mateo County.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 6:02 PM

Quote:
I don't think ADM really expects YHU to drop "Montreal" from it's title. That part is clearly going to remain. But I think YHU needs to add "St. Hubert" in its new title. It's as if YTZ was simply called Toronto Airport, without "Billy Bishop".

Each London airport has a specific name in it's title. (Heathrow, Stansted, Luton, Gatwick, City etc.)

That's not the case between YUL and YHU now. YUL is known as "Montreal-Trudeau International Airport", so they have the "Trudeau" bit. I think If YHU had kept "St. Hubert" in it's new rebrand - something along the lines of Montreal-St. Hubert Metropolitan Airport - ADM would have left them alone. But they haven't. Now, is "metropolitan" enough of a difference between YUL and YHU? I don't know. I think ADM might have a point here.

They are playing this the correct way, saying that passengers will not be able to differentiate between the two. And knowing how dumb passengers usually are, they are right.

Remember that British couple that bought tickets to Sydney, Nova Scotia, thinking they bought tickets to Sydney Australia instead?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/oops-...stake-1.353972

That was in 2002. Guess what, it happened 4 other times as well. In 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2017. And it's not just passengers, but travel agents as well. Most of these guys bought their tickets via travel agents.

https://viewfromthewing.com/passenge...ney-australia/

Let's see how this plays out.

Edit: It is worth mentioning, that technically, only YUL is in the city of Montreal proper. Although the city of Dorval (where the terminal building is) isn't a part of the city of Montreal, half the airport grounds (most of runway 06L/24R) resides in the borough of Saint Laurent, which is a part of Montreal. YHU isn't in Montreal at all. So there is that as well.
Before YTZ was Billy Bishop, wasn't it "Toronto-City Airport"? In fact, I think it's legal name is still Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport.

Now, this airport has been around a long time, and can't really "steal" traffic from YYZ, so I don't think there was ever an issue there.

I don't really see the problem with Montreal Metropolitan Airport. Albeit does make the airport sound like a major airport with the word "metropolitan" in it - but that's very French.

If anyone should be suing them, shouldn't it be the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC (aka The Met !)
Imagine you are a British couple and book tickets to The Met and accidentally end up at St Hubert airport instead of the fine art museum in NYC!

It will be interesting to see this play out. I do agree though, that St Hubert should be in their name... or even "Montreal - Longueuil". Perhaps "Montreal - South Shore", but they would have to have a French and English version of their name.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post

Cry me a river YUL.
Actually 6 - London Southend too.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 7:48 PM

Airport naming can always bring up weird emotions, especially in areas that it doesn't have as long a history (ie. as others have said, London has so many airports that people have always just referred to the name and not the city, same with Paris). SFO doesn't want Oakland to siphon anything off, even though Oakland airport has always been there. It's just the naming thing.

For YVR, we have both YXX (Abbotsford) and BLI (Bellingham) that advertise at times as Vancouver. BLI doesn't do it on their official branding or website, but Allegiant Air advertises the destination as Bellingham, WA / Vancouver BC. Very misleading, but technically allowed. YXX doesn't brand itself as Vancouver and neither do airlines that fly there. But for some reason, OAG Flight schedules (the largest flight schedule system in the world) lumps all of YXX flights in with YVR, it's actually very annoying. Go this URL, and type in flight to YYC, and the results pull up YXX flights as well, under the name "Vancouver Abbotsford Intl Apt"

https://timetables.oag.com/yvr/

Such a name doesn't exist AFAIK, yet here it is on the ultimate authority on flight schedules. And despite the fact that neither the airport or airlines market it that way, very bizarre!

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 9:05 PM

Airport names

Also, a bunch of airports around Orlando and Chicago also use the Big airports name to grab attention. Rockford Illinois and Melbourne FL are much further away from their counterparts compared to St. Hubert to Montreal. Sometimes the airlines refer to airports different like Play is currently calling YHM Toronto-Hamilton Airport and I believe globespan did the same when they were flying out of YHM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada