HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 4:10 PM

32 units is a pathetically small number to show for over 5 years of construction.

That district energy system better work as planned...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 10:16 PM

^ All I see is a lack of energy of any form getting this development moving.

A cluster if ever I have seen one

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 2:40 PM

The City has no business being in the real estate business, pure and simple.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 6:01 PM
A Better Place

I walked through it yesterday and there were around 3 blocks of townhouses under construction with further infrastructure (i.e. roads, curbs, sidewalks, etc.) being constructed outside of the original Stage 1. Definitely slower than development in the suburbs no doubt, but at least it looks good.

There are still units that haven't sold after being listed for at least a year, like the Ocheller build. If the price points were maybe $450-650k instead of $550-$750k, I'm sure there would be more uptake, but I wonder if the builders there even have the capacity to construct faster. It's taken Carbon Busters over a year to even start construction, for instance, as they are only working on their first set of townhouses now.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 6:26 PM

Internal and multiple departments not communicating and having coherent policies is what I'm hearing is causing some design / permit delays.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 7:01 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide View Post
^I agree on the price point comment, but disagree on the removal of 'strict architectural standards' as somehow making it more affordable. I wouldn't call anything built thus far an architectural marvel, but I can imagine it would be way worse without any guidelines.
The land should be sold at a discount, particularly at the start just to get things moving faster.

Feels like just yesterday I was attending an open-house of the original perkins-will plan. Now we are already *32* units in?? Where does the time go.
Well, to the City's defense, there has been a lot of prep work that had to occur to get these lands in a condition ready for servicing. I believe they started the underground work for the first stage about 2-3 years ago so to be honest it's not all that different then what happens with new neighbourhoods in the suburbs. In fact, I am seeing developments that I worked on when I was at Stantec <2015 just coming online now - 7 years ago.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2022, 4:46 PM
Community Guy

After a very rainy June, construction on site has benefited from sunny skies throughout July and into August. Our crews have been hard at work in the first two stages of the community and are on track to start work on the next stage of development in the coming weeks.

Work also continues on the Metro Line NW extension. Crews are making significant progress on the line from NAIT to Blatchford.

In August, crews are:

Continuing work on the trackway, pouring concrete and installing rails from Blatchford Gate Station working south.

Pouring the sidewalks, cycle tracks and crossings that will provide connections to the community once the LRT is complete.

Continuing interior and exterior work on the Blatchford and NAIT utility complexes, including the interior painting at the NAIT utility complex and roof installation at the Blatchford utility complex.

Installing the station shelters at both NAIT/Blatchford Market Station and Blatchford Gate Station. The station platforms are now completed with precast concrete panels in place."

https://blatchfordedmonton.ca/celebr...in-blatchford/

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 10:11 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 2:17 PM
Change is good

Which will reach 5000 people first? Strathcona County's new town on hwy 21 north of 16, or Blatchford?

Sadly, I think the new town.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
i really don't know what to say...

taking away the tacked on asymetrical boxes, i'm pretty sure i saw a previous version of this in soviet housing blocks in prague.

for the life of me i can't reconcile this image with the inspirational "Blatchford hails from a rich history of aviation, rooted in the Golden Jet Age. With streamline design and touches of mid-century modern." tag line on their site.

just as i can't reconcile it with the "inspired by history" hero photo image on their site:

Last edited by kcantor; Sep 21, 2022 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 12:21 AM

Those are straight up terrible.
You might as well just rent in one of the 1950s low rise apartment developments.

They have better outdoor space at least.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 1:39 AM

Procura should be building the same stuff in Blatchford that they are building in Century Park.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 2:16 PM

Being a 100% renewable, carbon-neutral community comes at a huge cost. Then throw in affordability in there, and the above pictured units is what you get.

Not sure why anyone is surprised.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 2:24 PM
Community Guy

I don't mind that built-form, but would have preferred interior amenity courtyards and rooftop patios for each unit.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I don't mind that built-form, but would have preferred interior amenity courtyards and rooftop patios for each unit.
That's saying 'I would have prefered a completely different development'. The actual built form of a townhouse block is always the same.

This isn't much different than a motel, pull your car right up to the wall of your house.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 3:07 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton needs far more row-housing and from the street these will look quite good.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 6:39 PM

No. They won't. They can do better.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 2:18 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...here-1.6614731

Canadian Home Builders' Association (CHBA):

"We do not believe there is a financially viable path forward without some adjustments to Blatchford's model," he told councillors Wednesday.

The cities response? They ask for a business case review from city managers, leaving out environmental goals in the review. Even though that is the sole reason prices are much higher than other areas in the city. It would be nice to hear how much taxpayer money has been spent on this already for 40 or so homes being occupied.

Frustrating.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 2:53 PM
Community Guy

Continuous disappointment stemming from the RFP until now.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 3:47 PM

^^ City Council has no clue - what a gong show.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton