HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 5:33 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
Yep, I actually wish they did this earlier. My opinion is that the true source of the outrage (at the city council level) has absolutely nothing to do with "parkland" and everything to do with the residents near Zilker not wanting additional people and traffic coming into their quaint little neighborhood.

That said, the hype machine of Austin hippyism is pretty powerful when it gets going, and PSV was playing with the same fire that burned Uber. With Butler off the table the council people should be far less antagonistic.
One of my most hippie friends was big into soccer and played it, of course. He called football a wimpy sport because of all the padding they wore when compared to soccer players who don't wear any and hit the ball off their forehead or do a backflip to make a goal. I think the big rejection to a lot of sports is the corporate connection. Ultimately, I think that's what doomed this deal landing in a public park. When Texas is known for billion dollar football stadiums and high school football stadiums that make some colleges jealous, I don't wonder too hard why there's any resentment and resistance.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 11:53 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
PSV picks up talks with investors in Columbus.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus...n.html?ana=fbk
"Investors?" In what are they "investing," specifically? What a poorly written story! Man, has journalism gone down the tubes!

Heck, he could be talking to investors about buying a private site in Austin!?! Who are they? Are they new to the game? Are they his friends?

I really do not believe Austin is "being played" here. Precourt had Austin listed as his only "out" in the purchase contract of the Crew several years ago.

If it happens...AWESOME! If it doesn't, the city was not a pawn. Ask yourself...why limit your choices of relocation down to one city when you purchase a team?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 7:29 AM

As Precourt goes crawling back to Columbus for something better than what Austin offered, this (McKalla) is what Austin looks to be offering up as the site of our first major league sport stadium. This appears to be taken by a former Austin SSP poster - breathesgelatin:

https://twitter.com/breathesgelatin

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
As Precourt goes crawling back to Columbus for something better than what Austin offered, this (McKalla) is what Austin looks to be offering up as the site of our first major league sport stadium. This appears to be taken by a former Austin SSP poster - breathesgelatin:

https://twitter.com/breathesgelatin
what is this picture supposed to be showing?

that it's an empty lot? We knew this.

Are we supposed to be horrified at a little trash? Nothing compared to the bums and trash Butler shores has on occasion.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 2:46 PM

Precourt is not crawling back to Columbus. Greeley was at Haymaker last night talking up soccer in Austin to supporters.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 2:57 PM

Quote:
PSV picks up talks with investors in Columbus.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus...n.html?ana=fbk
Taking Butler Shores out of the running was a hit to Austin's chances (unless ILUVSAT is right and they new it was a nonstarter, and there's a different level of negotiation going on).

But this article isn't very informative.

1) I'm confused by the timeline. When did Precourt start talking to "investors"?

"Alex Fischer, CEO of the Columbus Partnership, told me on Friday that after the contentious meeting in New York between city leaders and Precourt and Major League Soccer he was approached by the local investors."

Right, that was back in November. So was it radio silent between Precourt and them until now, or not.

2) Nothing here sounds like a change in anyone's (official) position.

A) Precourt always said staying in Columbus was a possibility.

B) MLS has always said their preference would be for the Crew to stay (while allowing a potential move).

C) Precourt was always going to talk to "investors". Remember, talking (not necessarily taking a deal) is a _requirement_ of Ohio state law and their existing lease.

This whole article sounds like a whole lot of nothing.
"Fischer said there have been no talks with MLS officials,"
"Although there is no news about Precourt's stance"

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
what is this picture supposed to be showing?

that it's an empty lot? We knew this.

Are we supposed to be horrified at a little trash? Nothing compared to the bums and trash Butler shores has on occasion.
And after looking some more, I'm not even sure she was in the right spot. For one, here twitter thread talks about going to Discount Tires (which isn't adjacent to the McKalla site).

And the orange strip on that building looks pretty distinctive. I'm pretty sure it's that shopping center with two men and a truck, etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...2!4d-97.719408

Which seems to put that picture in the land plot one west of the city parcel. The the McKalla site seems to be cleared off, not brushy.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 8:14 PM
Meh

No underutilized vacant lot is ever complete without a diversely stained mattress nestled on a pothole dotted parking lot with random piles of odds and ends here and there.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 8:31 PM

The deal was based on Butler Shores. Taking it off the map is a huge reset and there should be very serious questions as to if PSV can secure upwards of 250 million in private financing for the project where there is such limited adjacent commercial development at Gueuerro and McKalla. I think you would have already had to see the warehouses in that corridor start to be demoed for new development or the riverside catalyst project already financed and in development in order to get the kind of investments that are going to be needed for this soccer stadium. It doesn't help that it's across the street from Pickle Research which isn't going anywhere. There is a reason why 100% privately financed stadiums are extremely rare.

I would look for talks in Columbus to continue to heat back up. I think the deal in Austin is dead unless they city is interested in contributing to the cost of building a stadium which it won't (and shouldn't) be.

Here are some highlights from the new AM article:
-Precourt Sports Ventures had directed most of its attention and diligence in recent months toward putting together a proposal to convert Butler Shores to the site for a 20,000-seat stadium. Representatives from that group have maintained that a stadium will need to be located in the city core to attract the level of private investment needed to build it without public financing.
-There will not be a item on the stadium locations at the Feb 15 council meeting
-Mark Littlefield, an Austin lobbyist working for Precourt, told the Austin Monitor the focus now is on putting together proposals that make use of public land attractive and beneficial enough to earn a vote from Council to move forward.
-Littlefield said the group is in favor of the mandated referendum vote that would be needed to OK private use of parkland property,

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 8:51 PM

Quote:
I think you would have already had to see the warehouses in that corridor start to be demoed
Which corridor? McKalla area? No, you haven't started to see demos (yet), but you have basically seen new development on every vacant parcel which is left (which you'd expect to lead).

Quote:
It doesn't help that it's across the street from Pickle Research which isn't going anywhere.
Two streets away, once the new street grid goes in. There's a new main street between ~McKalla site and the existing buildings on Burnet.

Quote:
Here are some highlights from the new AM article:
What new AM article ?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 11:25 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I heard something on KVUE News lastnight about other sites that may be added, unfortunately no further details on which new sites they were referring to. (crosses fingers for Statesman site)

Any site away from DT is a non starter for me.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 11:28 PM

MLS in Austin tweeted this Saturday -

We’re not saying there ARE additional locations under consideration as part of an entirely private transaction / local investment/investor, but don't be surprised if the site list gets suddenly bigger before it gets any smaller.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
What new AM article ?

https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...stadium-sites/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 12:01 AM

Why hasn't PSV offered to lease the Butler Shores land for something closer to market rate? I understand the economics might be tight early on, but wouldn't it be better to pay the city for a better location? I also feel like they could probably make some sort of public donation for use of its facilities. Or they could make a donation to the city's park fund or whatever they have for that sort of thing.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinaustin View Post
Why hasn't PSV offered to lease the Butler Shores land for something closer to market rate? I understand the economics might be tight early on, but wouldn't it be better to pay the city for a better location? I also feel like they could probably make some sort of public donation for use of its facilities. Or they could make a donation to the city's park fund or whatever they have for that sort of thing.
Those things probably could have been negotiated. However, they were never really given the opportunity. The conversation was immediately shut down by the loud voices that were having none of it.

They may have made a tactical mistake by letting this get out before putting all possible city/park benefits into some package. That could have been immediately debated for it's merits or lack thereof. If it was good enough, it could have provided points of argument to push back against certain concerns/complaints. As it was, they just couldn't get ahead of the outcry.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 5:38 AM
World Traveler

City wants to postpone Major League Soccer stadium discussion
Quote:
AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Austin City Council will likely delay discussing potential Major League Soccer sites at its Feb. 15 meeting.

A memo sent Friday to the mayor and council from the Austin Parks and Recreation Department (PARD) requests the council postpone the Feb. 15 item as it continues to work on possible properties that can be used. “It is staff’s intention to request a postponement without a definitive future Council date,” the memo states.
http://kxan.com/2018/02/02/city-want...um-discussion/

Big gulps, huh?.....Welp, see ya later!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
City wants to postpone Major League Soccer stadium discussion

http://kxan.com/2018/02/02/city-want...um-discussion/

Big gulps, huh?.....Welp, see ya later!
The city council wanting to postpose something, what a surprise. Seems like that's all they are good at.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 7:47 PM

Austin’s Guerrero Park becomes latest focus of MLS stadium search

http://www.statesman.com/sports/aust...2TOpu0y5QcYLP/

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 10:11 PM

KXAN article:

http://kxan.com/2018/02/08/major-lea...pected-friday/

From the article:

Quote:
An announcement concerning Major League Soccer in Austin is slated for Friday, according to the Austin Chamber of Commerce.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
People are saying the Chamber of Commerce is just going to come out in support of a move to Austin. Nothing new.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin