HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

River Point in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 5:34 AM
THAT Guy

Going, going, almost gone

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 5:44 AM
TL;DR

Damn it.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaguir3 View Post
shall we move this thread?
Ceremonial ground-breaking does not mean construction. . . looks like it will happen soon enough and we'll move the thread at that appropriate time. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 5:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Damn it.
Yea sucks.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 5:48 PM

Good for the city, good for the neighborhood except one thing. Is there going to be basically a blank wall alongside Lake St at street level?

Its already a kind of dark connection point, will only make it worse

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 9:17 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
I said this year is interesting b/c River Point, 111 W Wacker, Wolf Point (phase one), and 435 N Park will dramatically alter the riverscape, which is arguably more significant than boom volume (especially when much of it is cynical beige precast...blech). River Point, while not an Aqua or a 600 N Fairbanks, is on par with (maybe better) than boom trophies like 300 N Lasalle and 340 on the Park.

Also significant is the construction of Maggie Daley Park.
^ Ahh, I see where you're coming from.

I agree that some buildings in some pretty notable and prominent sites do seem to be all going up at once right about now. Also add to that list some highrises along the west "bank" of the Kennedy are probably about to start soon.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 1:53 AM

I'll shed a tear on that building getting demoed. It's a nice looking structure. But I do realize I'll get over it as soon as this tower starts to rise. In the end, I'm sure I'll be impressed.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 12:52 PM

And off we go...

River Point office tower lands law firm as anchor tenant

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...-anchor-tenant

Houston-based Hines Interests L.P. and local developer Larry Levy have revived plans for their River Point office tower along the Chicago River at 444 W. Lake St. in the West Loop. Downtown Chicago's first spec office tower in more than a decade had landed an anchor tenant.

Law firm McDermott Will & Emery LLP signed a letter of intent to lease about 225,000 square feet in the 45-story tower, called River Point, which is expected to be completed sometime in 2016, according to a source. If the lease is finalized as expected, the firm will move from 227 W. Monroe St. in the Franklin Center office complex, where its lease expires in 2017.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 5:48 PM
BANNED

^ Now if Hines will just add back the 10 floors it cut. This is ultra competitive real estate, unlikely to be matched for years, even with Wolf Point on the table.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 7:29 PM
The City

Quote:
^ Now if Hines will just add back the 10 floors it cut. This is ultra competitive real estate, unlikely to be matched for years, even with Wolf Point on the table.
^ And the hotel next door.

Nothing says lovin like total obstruction of the sun from the west.

The 2 sexiest things in downtown real estate are 1) submerged transportation infrastructure and 2) obliteration of the sun.

In its previous incarnation, this project accomplished both.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 8:31 PM

Quote:
I think only 7 floors were cut and I believe one of the several recent press releases mentioned that they might make it 50 storeys depending on how well leasing goes. So we might at least end up with 50 storeys which isn't bad for that site although I do agree that a building taller than 300 N. LaSalle would be perfect. I also hope the hotel gets built sometime in the future.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 9:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
I think only 7 floors were cut and I believe one of the several recent press releases mentioned that they might make it 50 storeys depending on how well leasing goes. So we might at least end up with 50 storeys which isn't bad for that site although I do agree that a building taller than 300 N. LaSalle would be perfect. I also hope the hotel gets built sometime in the future.
Oh that's good news.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 11:46 PM
Content provider

It's billed as spec

so make it more spec

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 12:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Nothing says lovin like total obstruction of the sun from the west.

The 2 sexiest things in downtown real estate are 1) submerged transportation infrastructure and 2) obliteration of the sun.
I like River Point. I'd even like a few more stories. 50-60 sounds nice. But, it's only a letter of intent from MWE. It's not a contract to rent. And, the letter's only for about 25% of the space. It's a good start, but the construction was delayed until the letter of intent was signed. So, River Point's not totally a spec building. And the market for office space is not that tight yet.

There will be no hotel building at River Point. The area where the hotel was planned has been deeded to the City for a public park and the deed has been recorded.

I thought everybody here got off on the skyscraper mimicking a male organ. My skyscraper's taller than yours! That juvenile male comparative civic pride I can understand.

But, obstruction and obliteration of the sun? You sure are into weird sex. IMO, . Whatever GYO!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 1:45 AM

Lots of contracts are coming up, and many companies are looking to modernize. I'd say 300 N. Lasalle and 353 N. Clark are doing pretty well for a reason in this market. Also, the law firms are always looking to impress their clients. River Point could very well be that place with the "it" factor in Chicago. That is going to be one sick view...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 3:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Lots of contracts are coming up, and many companies are looking to modernize. I'd say 300 N. Lasalle and 353 N. Clark are doing pretty well for a reason in this market. Also, the law firms are always looking to impress their clients. River Point could very well be that place with the "it" factor in Chicago. That is going to be one sick view...
For efficiency purposes, law firms prefer to drop anchor near the court rooms. MWE is 1/2 litigators and 1/2 transaction wheeler-dealers. A little bird tweeted me that the deciding factor was price, not view or proximity to the court rooms.

But, if the lease is ever signed, 1/4 of the River Point building would be rented - starting in 2017 when the MWE lease expires. (4 years from now!) Of course, Hines could buy out the balance of MWE's existing lease to get the firm in early.

Crain's said today: "McDermott's offices are at 227 W. Monroe St., where a lease for about 250,000 square feet expires in 2017. The firm will move to its new building in spring of that year."

But, at least it will be a knock-out view and it's a blue chip tenant (taking about 10% or 25,000 sq. ft. less space than it has now).

Last edited by jarta; Jan 18, 2013 at 3:35 AM. Reason: add percentage decrease

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 1:14 AM

Jan 14

Then and now

March 2008

January 2013

Getting ready for the ceremony

One last set

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 2:53 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Then and now

March 2008
This image gives me a thought, it'll be really cool if the towers on Wolf Point and River Point are rising at the same time, just like Trump and 300 N. LaSalle were.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 3:44 AM

So how did the official groundbreaking go?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 6:48 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
This image gives me a thought, it'll be really cool if the towers on Wolf Point and River Point are rising at the same time, just like Trump and 300 N. LaSalle were.
It'll happen. It might take awhile to secure approvals for Wolf Point, but River Point's construction will last 30 months, so at some point we will have matching construction sites.

Hines is making major moves here at the confluence. They should relocate here... more skyscraper activity than Houston, that's for sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive