HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 12:32 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's actually quite common (even in deepest Quebec, not just bordertown Gatineau) to hear francophone parents say they want to give their kids names that are easy to pronounce in French and English.
This must explain the rash of Mavrics and Manixs and Hendrixs these days.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
This must explain the rash of Mavrics and Manixs and Hendrixs these days.
Not a fan of these as you can imagine. Though I am not a fan of similar but more French-sounding names like Christelle or Loumick either.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 11:13 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I just learned that Mike Ward won his case in the Supreme Court about his joke on Jérémy Gabriel a few days ago.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 4:39 AM

Quote:
I'd still recalibrate the whole comparison and affirm that, controlling for other factors, being a unilingual francophone in Canada is still a more disadvantageous position than being a unilingual anglophone. By some measure.
It's easier being a unilingual Anglophone in Quebec than it is to be a unilingual Francophone anywhere outside of Quebec.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 4:46 AM

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
It's easier being a unilingual Anglophone in Quebec than it is to be a unilingual Francophone anywhere outside of Quebec.
And?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 2:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
And?
And... nothing. Though it's a popular myth in Tim Hortons and at backyard cookouts in the ROC that it's in fact the opposite that's true.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 2:31 PM

Major outrage about AC CEO Michael Rousseau's apparent inability to speak French.

Speak White, Air Canada

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/c...air-canada.php

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 2:33 PM
ハルウララ

Was wondering why I saw Quebecers talking about another separatism referendum online last night.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Was wondering why I saw Quebecers talking about another separatism referendum online last night.
I see this as Air Canada's private business where public opinion doesn't really matter, but at the same time it is curious that this guy who apparently lived in Montreal for many years can't string a few sentences in French together to appease everyone. You'd think that if he has the brainpower and work ethic to ascend to CEO that he could at least handle that?!

I wonder if the situation is exacerbated by his name. Maybe if he was named Mike Petrowski he wouldn't be subject to these expectations?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 2:41 PM

Hasn't the Air Canada c-suite always been an English speaking enclave?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 2:44 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I see this as Air Canada's private business where public opinion doesn't really matter, but at the same time it is curious that this guy who apparently lived in Montreal for many years can't string a few sentences in French together to appease everyone. You'd think that if he has the brainpower and work ethic to ascend to CEO that he could at least handle that?!
It's easy to live English-only in Montreal if you live in specific neighbourhoods and spend all your time with specific people. Very easy to find unilingual Anglophones at, say, McGill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer
Hasn't the Air Canada c-suite always been an English speaking enclave?
Apparently so if this issue was never brought up internally until Rousseau faced the public.

Quote:
I wonder if the situation is exacerbated by his name. Maybe if he was named Mike Petrowski he wouldn't be subject to these expectations?
Simply salt in the wound.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 3:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Air Canada has never been particularly good with official languages (well, French) in spite of being bound by the Official Languages Act under the terms of its privatization act. Of course the law doesn't specify that the head honcho needs to be bilingual, but the way he and Air Canada have handled this, coupled with a reboot of the language debate in general, have made him a bit of a lightning rod. Or maybe a sacrificial lamb.

I'd assume the way Air Canada's public affairs department has handled this over the past 24-48 hours will be studied at some point by university communications students - as an example of what not to do.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 4:05 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Major outrage about AC CEO Michael Rousseau's apparent inability to speak French.

Speak White, Air Canada

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/c...air-canada.php
It's pretty tone-deaf for the new-ish head of Air Canada, especially after Calin Rovinescu's quite successful tenure.

It's one thing to be an outsider like Montie Brewer (former United Airlines CEO) that no one has much in the way of expectations for.

Not that it will really change anything; Air Canada will remain the only real national carrier and will embody the national spirit in its true form. Mostly English, grudgingly offering French. The only airline with real 'national' presence, yet mostly focused on looking outside of the borders of Canada, not very much interested in serving within. Kind of an embodiment of the indifferent, fat oligopoly we kind of take as normal here.

I guess those who want a real French-speaking airline could fly Air Transat or Air France.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 4:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post

I guess those who want a real French-speaking airline could fly Air Transat or Air France.
Pop quiz - who founded Air Transat?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 4:18 PM

Quote:
It's pretty tone-deaf for the new-ish head of Air Canada, especially after Calin Rovinescu's quite successful tenure.

It's one thing to be an outsider like Montie Brewer (former United Airlines CEO) that no one has much in the way of expectations for.

Not that it will really change anything; Air Canada will remain the only real national carrier and will embody the national spirit in its true form. Mostly English, grudgingly offering French. The only airline with real 'national' presence, yet mostly focused on looking outside of the borders of Canada, not very much interested in serving within. Kind of an embodiment of the indifferent, fat oligopoly we kind of take as normal here.

I have always found that Air Canada does live in flight announcements in both English and French. The other guys (WS) are more likely to have a taped version in French.

I have found that Air Canada flights out of Montreal tend to be French first, English second. The same for Quebec City.

Honestly I think AC has done well in offering services in both languages.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 4:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Pop quiz - who founded Air Transat?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I have always found that Air Canada does live in flight announcements in both English and French. The other guys (WS) are more likely to have a taped version in French.

I have found that Air Canada flights out of Montreal tend to be French first, English second. The same for Quebec City.

Honestly I think AC has done well in offering services in both languages.
I've even heard flight announcements in Japanese going into Calgary, not that this has anything to do with the CEO not speaking French.

One would think that a translator could be made available for him, but I guess that's not the point.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I've even heard flight announcements in Japanese going into Calgary, not that this has anything to do with the CEO not speaking French.

One would think that a translator could be made available for him, but I guess that's not the point.
I doubt that the head of lAir Canada is making flight announcements.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 4:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Air Canada will remain the only real national carrier and will embody the national spirit in its true form. Mostly English, grudgingly offering French. The only airline with real 'national' presence, yet mostly focused on looking outside of the borders of Canada, not very much interested in serving within. Kind of an embodiment of the indifferent, fat oligopoly we kind of take as normal here.
Geez - with those creds, AC should be headquartered in Toronto! They were made for each other.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada