HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 7:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Did you, or someone else, mention previously that there will be yet another Sobey's Liquor on the Victoria Square parking lot as well? (making it four Sobey's Liquors).
Yes, that one has already been confirmed.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 7:41 PM
BANNED

Its almost like we are going from a government monopoly to a private monopoly protected by minimum pricing. The selection is a lot better but prices are still high.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Its almost like we are going from a government monopoly to a private monopoly protected by minimum pricing. The selection is a lot better but prices are still high.
I think we were previously greatly underserved. Urban Cellars, Superstore and Costco should keep them honest.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 9:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I think we were previously greatly underserved. Urban Cellars, Superstore and Costco should keep them honest.
You're definitely right about that. Its just too bad its all out of province companies taking over, with no room for the local small business. Same goes for the cannabis shops being bought up by a few national companies.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
You're definitely right about that. Its just too bad its all out of province companies taking over, with no room for the local small business. Same goes for the cannabis shops being bought up by a few national companies.
I believe Urban Cellars (3 stores in Regina and Moose Jaw) is locally owned, but yes, dominated by Nationals and AB companies

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 9:47 PM

Quote:
I believe Urban Cellars (3 stores in Regina and Moose Jaw) is locally owned, but yes, dominated by Nationals and AB companies
Yes, Urban Cellars is locally (Regina) owned.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 11:29 PM

A lot of local companies sold their weed and alcohol licenses to the bigger companies.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 11:29 PM

Sobeys is also putting in a liqour store on 13th Ave. Public posting was a few months ago.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant View Post
Sobeys is also putting in a liqour store on 13th Ave. Public posting was a few months ago.
Not sure if I like this or not. On one hand it'll be nice to have a liquor store within walking distance but it may have some adverse effects on the Cathedral neighborhood. Have they announced what time it will close?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant View Post
I'm not against Sobeys Liquor, but I am a little surprised that Co-op (or Liquor Depot, for that matter) doesn't appear to be making any attempt to get a foothold in Regina. Especially weird that Co-op isn't trying, after all their complaining about Sobeys getting the licences in the cities, and Co-op getting the rural licences.

I also shake my head whenever I go into an LB now... they've got a half-decent wall of (largely unrefrigerated) craft beers now. At least 3 years too late. Their days are numbered. Might have been able to revitalize themselves if they'd made *any* attempt to carry craft beers 4-5 years ago. Alway half-arsed it (never listened to their own buyers, or customers... and gave individual store managers WAY too much autonomy. Some stores made attempts, but most didn't, and the special order desk was (and still is) terrrrrible).
(I get that the LBs were likely getting very little support at SLGA's senior levels, where they knew the government wanted to privatize - so they were hesitant to rock the boat - but this also makes their current shift towards better craft beer all the stranger. I digress...)

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 1:43 AM

Coop liquor is strong in Saskatoon, PA, North Battleford, Swift Current, and Estevan. And of course they have a very strong small town presence.

Since last Oct, retail liquor licensees have been allowed to sell their license. Not sure why the Regina Sherwood Coops didnt get in on the buying action.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 1:56 AM

Quote:
This assumes that Urban Cellars will be in business in a few years. Massive stores, no customers.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBoy View Post
Not sure if I like this or not. On one hand it'll be nice to have a liquor store within walking distance but it may have some adverse effects on the Cathedral neighborhood. Have they announced what time it will close?
There's already an off-sale down the street and multiple places serving alcohol in the area.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 4:13 PM

Alfords Furniture is closing down. Another independent gone.

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...sident-retires

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
I'm not against Sobeys Liquor, but I am a little surprised that Co-op (or Liquor Depot, for that matter) doesn't appear to be making any attempt to get a foothold in Regina. Especially weird that Co-op isn't trying, after all their complaining about Sobeys getting the licences in the cities, and Co-op getting the rural licences.

I also shake my head whenever I go into an LB now... they've got a half-decent wall of (largely unrefrigerated) craft beers now. At least 3 years too late. Their days are numbered. Might have been able to revitalize themselves if they'd made *any* attempt to carry craft beers 4-5 years ago. Alway half-arsed it (never listened to their own buyers, or customers... and gave individual store managers WAY too much autonomy. Some stores made attempts, but most didn't, and the special order desk was (and still is) terrrrrible).
(I get that the LBs were likely getting very little support at SLGA's senior levels, where they knew the government wanted to privatize - so they were hesitant to rock the boat - but this also makes their current shift towards better craft beer all the stranger. I digress...)
And yet the LB on Quance, while not as busy as before, still has as many customers as the other private stores combined. I've gone to Urban Cellars a few times and there have never been more than 2 other customers in the store. Same with Metro.

Urban Cellars may be local franchised, but I recall getting my liquor in a major grocery chain bag there once. I forget which one now, makes me think they are a subsidiary and not completely local.

At any rate, I have a friend who works with Sobey's Liquor who said he doesn't know how they make a go of it, rarely busy, often more employees than customers.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
And yet the LB on Quance, while not as busy as before, still has as many customers as the other private stores combined. I've gone to Urban Cellars a few times and there have never been more than 2 other customers in the store. Same with Metro.

Urban Cellars may be local franchised, but I recall getting my liquor in a major grocery chain bag there once. I forget which one now, makes me think they are a subsidiary and not completely local.

At any rate, I have a friend who works with Sobey's Liquor who said he doesn't know how they make a go of it, rarely busy, often more employees than customers.
I suspect much of he LB traffic is just habit. I also suspect the Quance store days are numbered which will help traffic in the other stores.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post

Sobeys on Pasqua N. seems busy all the time to me. I guess if warm beer is your thing the LB is the store for you.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 8:40 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Sobeys on Pasqua N. seems busy all the time to me. I guess if warm beer is your thing the LB is the store for you.
I typically still go to the LB. I find private stores more expensive unless things are actually on sale (in which case, private stores have better sales).

As for cold vs warm... I usually buy "supplies" before the day I plan to drink it, so I'm agnostic as to whether it's chilled in-store.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I typically still go to the LB. I find private stores more expensive unless things are actually on sale (in which case, private stores have better sales).

As for cold vs warm... I usually buy "supplies" before the day I plan to drink it, so I'm agnostic as to whether it's chilled in-store.
I'm pretty sure people pick up some booze on their way somewhere quite often. Selling warm beer is just bizarre to me. It's 2019, not 1985 with their pallets of cases of stubbies but I guess if your looking for a warm pack of Labatt Blue I could see going the LB in your future.

As far as price is concerned, I'l pay a few more cents for cold beer.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 10:31 PM

I rarely drink beer the day I buy it, so I couldn't care less if it's cold, except if it's unpasteurized, where refrigeration increases the shelf life.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan