HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
Armani Exchange at Chinook opens today.

Has anyone tried Five Guys yet?
I tried it last night. It was a pretty good burger. Fries are a bit pricey, but you get a ton of them. Not sure if I'd go out my way for another one, but would stop in if I'm ever in the area.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 5:27 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
What's the ETA on all video/CD stores becoming obsolete... must be coming soon?
Missed this earlier... Canada is years behind on this. In the US, virtually all video stores are closing up or are long since closed. Blockbuster still exists but they're just about done as well. I'm always amazed to hear of people actually renting physical movies from a store - I think the last time I did this was in the 90s.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Missed this earlier... Canada is years behind on this. In the US, virtually all video stores are closing up or are long since closed. Blockbuster still exists but they're just about done as well. I'm always amazed to hear of people actually renting physical movies from a store - I think the last time I did this was in the 90s.
I prefer to pay for my content, but if something isn't available on Netflix, the PS3 movie store, or iTunes, I'll find it via "alternative means" before I'll go to Blockbuster/Rogers. Going to a physical video store is one of those unnecessary, archaic pastimes of yesteryear. Blockbuster in the US is bankrupt, and although the Canadian counterparts are still hanging on, it is only a matter of time before they die off.

I will admit to reserving the odd thing online for pickup at the library though, which is surprisingly convenient.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
Armani Exchange at Chinook opens today.

Has anyone tried Five Guys yet?

I've been twice... Fantastic burgers, by far the best of any kind of "fast food" fare. Portions of fries are huge and enough to share between two or even three... Because of the portion sizes, prices are actually very comparable to the alternatives. If you haven't been, go. Now. (Where's that damn 'drool' emoticon?)

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
I've been twice... Fantastic burgers, by far the best of any kind of "fast food" fare. Portions of fries are huge and enough to share between two or even three... Because of the portion sizes, prices are actually very comparable to the alternatives. If you haven't been, go. Now. (Where's that damn 'drool' emoticon?)
Good to know. I keep meaning to grab something there when I'm in the area but I always forget.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Oh good, the Retail Thread returns from a 12 day hiatus...

Yeah, I haven't rented for years, between "same day as video store" VOD-HD releases on Shaw and 34 commercial free movie channels on Dish Network... I really have no need for Blockbuster!

re: Armani X open... I was wondering that, I guess the last of the late openings is Anthropologie on the 17th.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 12:13 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
I prefer to pay for my content, but if something isn't available on Netflix, the PS3 movie store, or iTunes, I'll find it via "alternative means" before I'll go to Blockbuster/Rogers. Going to a physical video store is one of those unnecessary, archaic pastimes of yesteryear. Blockbuster in the US is bankrupt, and although the Canadian counterparts are still hanging on, it is only a matter of time before they die off.

I will admit to reserving the odd thing online for pickup at the library though, which is surprisingly convenient.
I agree. The biggest appeal of acquiring media through.. 'alternative means' is not actually the freeness, it's the on-demand availability.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I agree. The biggest appeal of acquiring media through.. 'alternative means' is not actually the freeness, it's the on-demand availability.
And that type of on-demand-ness is usually available a lot earlier than the 'regular means'... I still sometimes chuckle to myself when I see a big promotional commercial for a blue-ray and dvd release and think "gee, someone has already seen that at home, a dozen times now, over the last several months"

(this post in no way condones acquiring media through "alternative means" )

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 6:25 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
I bought a regular size fries with my burger and I got more or less a full pound of them. Huge is an understatement, you'll have plenty to take home unless you're not alone or you've been fasting all day.

By the way Future Shop is dead empty past 9pm because nobody knows we're open to 10pm now. (I'm a seasonal)

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 6:28 AM

And Walmart and Superstore have some (maybe all?) their stores open 24 hours until Christmas now.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 7:03 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
By the way Future Shop is dead empty past 9pm because nobody knows we're open to 10pm now. (I'm a seasonal)
Don't worry, you won't have long before it picks up massively. Especially on nights when most things are closed at 9 and you're the only game in town.

I hope you won't try to sell me one of those rip-off extended warranties, otherwise I'll have to avoid your store.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 8:51 AM
Hare Expert

The Deerfoot Meadows Future Shop is the second highest volume location behind Downtown Toronto. I'm sure we'll sell enough.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 5:55 PM

I'm probably the only person on the planet who still goes out and rents a DVD from a video store, but then again, I'm probably the only person on the planet who doesn't have skype neither! LOL...begin laughing now, folks!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
The Deerfoot Meadows Future Shop is the second highest volume location behind Downtown Toronto. I'm sure we'll sell enough.
That's surprising considering there's also an insanely busy Best Buy almost next door.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I'm probably the only person on the planet who still goes out and rents a DVD from a video store, but then again, I'm probably the only person on the planet who doesn't have skype neither! LOL...begin laughing now, folks!
My fiance and her sister go rent movies at least every couple weeks from blockbuster.

Noticed yesterday that the new deli on 1st street is also open, so will have to plan to go check it out soon.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 7:39 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
That's surprising considering there's also an insanely busy Best Buy almost next door.
That's because they're the same store.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
That's because they're the same store.
I know that. All I meant was that you'd expect the customers to be spread between the two stores thereby reducing each store to more "average" numbers.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 11:20 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I *think* (?) this is new to Calgary - a Giant Tiger opened up on 32nd Ave NE recently. Not exactly my shopping mecca but it fits into the area.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 11:34 PM
I'm the bear on the right

There has been a Giant Tiger on 17th Ave SE for a couple of years now. An old co-worker of mine would rave about the place.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 1:00 AM
Construction Enthusiast

I've seen the giant tiger there, but haven't gone in yet. What kind of a store is it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy