HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 3:45 AM

The portion of the Beltway from University Parkway to US 52 opens this weekend.
https://journalnow.com/video/news/dr...5e3252d2b.html

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Camel City residents: Get ready to fork over more money when you park downtown.

As the city develops a plan to glean more cash by increasing the cost of parking, the city’s Department of Transportation staff is preparing a request for proposals for a third-party parking vendor. The company will provide equipment such as electronic parking meters, payment options via phone, enforcement software and ticket appeal support for the program. Potential changes include an increase in parking fees and more tickets overall.

This information was presented on Tuesday to councilmembers during the city’s Public Works Committee meeting by transportation operations manager Reid Hutchins.

Between on-street and off-street parking, the city has 2,500 spaces managed by two parking enforcement officers, Hutchins said.
https://triad-city-beat.com/winston-...rking-changes/

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 1:59 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. If you can, please support any local businesses sharing photographs and thank them.

Yes, this is the city seen on Good Morning Washington (WJLA-TV 7 in Washington D.C.) as a fun city for outdoors adventures!

Video Link

Kaleideum Science Museum:
Third Street could have the beginnings of a sinkhole, directly infront of the new Kaleideum Museum! Soil described as "soupy" is located under 2 inches/51 millimetres of pavement and 8 inches/203 millimetres of concrete. Sadly, the City won't be able to repair this until February, when the museum is open. So, look for a Third Street closure to continue after the museum is completed, while the City finds the problem and makes repairs.

Chatham Building Apartments, Hotel, & Retail:

Credit: 8MW0hYTeV-M

New Brunson Downtown Elementary School:
This project is now in permitting. Interestingly, it's now a 103,500-square-foot building, clad with brick and metal panels. The estimated cost is around $42 million. It should be fun to watch the steel rise for this project.

Nissen Wagon Works Warehousing:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Liberty Park:
When completed, Liberty Park will be almost as big as Merschel Park! Almost.

A nice aerial view of the under construction park (bottom, left corner):

Credit: Nj1NsX0c_rc

Ambulatory Surgical Center:
The new facility will offer orthopaedics, otolaryngology, general surgery, urology, and plastic surgery, with a completion date of May 31, 2025 and an opening date of July 1, 2025. This new facility will also hire around 100 full-time employees.

Stevens Center Renovation:
The building is now closed and work is about to begin. Here are a few interesting architectural details and historic photographs from the 1920s movie theatre. This was the largest theatre in the Carolinas and was built with every top-of-the-line modern amenity of that era. It even had both motion picture sound systems (for talkies), so it could play every movie out there. It was also designed for stage performances.

Credit: raypublishing

Credit: raypublishing

Credit: david.swift.1422

Two Cities:

Credit: landmarkbuildersinc

Interstate 74:

Video Link

Highland Avenue Center:
Highland Avenue Center will be renovated, adding a 16 bed behavioral health center and a pharmacy to the building. Construction is scheduled to start in January 2024, with completion set for Fall 2024. RHA Health Services will operate the facility. STITCH Design Shop is the architect and I.L. Long Construction is the General Contractor for the project.

Salem Bottling Works:
The developer may switch from event space to hotel rooms on the second floor, which I think is a much better use and many Coca-Cola fans would love to spend the night in this building while visiting Old Salem. The developer will preserve as much as possible on both the inside and outside.

Credit: TCB

New Tenants/Leases:
Ferol Barton Blake recently moved to downtown Winston-Salem from Hudson, New York. He has plans to open XO Home & Garden in both Winston-Salem and Hudson, N.Y.,. He is an interior and furniture designer who worked or may still work in the New York City area. No address for the store at this time.

Crave Southern Palate could soon open at 6973 Yadkinville Road.

Broad Branch Distillery is considering an expansion at Big Winston Warehouse. Not many details at this time.

The new steakhouse & bar planned for the "former" Cibo space at 529 North Trade Street, in downtown's Arts District:

Credit: David Inman

Brouwerij DuBois: Built!
They waited until the project was completed to share their construction photographs. Since other sites are calling this completed, I think I'll also remove it from our construction list as completed.

Credit: Brouwerij DuBois

Eleventh Street Townhouses & Apartments:
We finally have a name for this development. It will be named Brown School Lofts at Legacy Heights, named for a school that once stood at the site. The school was named for Robert Washington Brown, who helped establish Winston Mutual Life Insurance Company in 1906.

Hanes Park Sports Facilities:
Work is about to start on the grandstands and retaining walls of M. Douglas Crater Stadium.

Of course I have construction documents (construction set) for the football stadium...

Concessions:

Credit: Michael Graves / WRCP

Grandstands:

Credit: Michael Graves / WRCP

These photographs are from early last month, as you can tell by the trees, but they are new to us:

Credit: rjrstadium

"The Crater" ...I so want to call it that!

Off-Subject:

Governor Roy Cooper visits suburban Winston-Salem Hindu temple for Diwali:
Video Link

Winston-Salem Cycling Classic:
In 2024, the Winston-Salem Cycling Classic will return to Memorial Day weekend, with more bicycle racing events and even more music acts for the Gears & Guitars Cycling & Music Festival.

Random Photographs:

Credit: Fam Brownlee

L.L.Bean Pop-up Store in downtown Winston-Salem... the shoe is a size 700 and is too big for the Statue of Liberty:

Credit: frontstreetcapital

Winston-Salem's own Mitch Easter from Let's Active (An internationally popular 1980s Winston-Salem alternative band) in 1986:
Video Link

Brazilian Dancers:
Video Link

Brazilian Dancers:

Tall bicycles and rat bicycles are a thing in Winston-Salem... I've seen these customized bicycles there many times, over-the-years:

And then he writes and sells poetry...

Celebrity Sighting: Henry Winkler on West Fourth Street in Downtown's Restaurant Row - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Winkler

Credit: Mozelle's Fresh Southern Bistro

Your City

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 3:20 AM

Winston-Salem Choice Neighborhood, Phase One

[IMG]https://ibb.co/BPzfP5y]

[IMG]https://ibb.co/JjN64nZ]

[IMG]https://ibb.co/G9Hg7b0]

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 3:48 AM

I noticed that the Winston-Salem Planning Board approved a 40-unit proposed housing project called Ivy Court. The location is described as on the East side of Ivy Avenue, north of East Tenth Street. According to Construction Journal, the project scope includes the new construction of a four-unit building, 6 six-unit buildings and a clubhouse on 2.71 acres on the northeast corner of the intersection. It looks like the property now contains an old warehouse owned by STC Properties of Forsyth County LLC, which gained notoriety in 2020 over its refusal to allow a samesex wedding at the site.

Last edited by DCMetroRaleigh; Nov 25, 2023 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 3:22 PM

I wonder if Henry Winkler visited Winkler Bakery in Old Salem?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 4:40 PM

Also, that is quite a list for Winkler's book promotion tour - one wonders why he (or his manger) chose Winston-Salem as a stop (so glad he did so)? I did a cursory check of the internet but found no particular reason for any of the choices of stops on the book tour - perhaps I just missed the reasoning.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post
Also, that is quite a list for Winkler's book promotion tour - one wonders why he (or his manger) chose Winston-Salem as a stop (so glad he did so)? I did a cursory check of the internet but found no particular reason for any of the choices of stops on the book tour - perhaps I just missed the reasoning.

I believe Winkler's appearance in the Camel City is based upon the strength of the Bookmarks organization. I've heard that it is now considered one of the more prominent literary organizations in the SouthEast. They are bringing in authors for special events all through the year and not just during the annual Bookmarks Festival.

I truly hope that someone did suggest that he stop by Winkler Bakery in Old Salem. Now that would have made for an epic photo!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 5:10 PM

“I truly hope that someone did suggest that he stop by Winkler Bakery in Old Salem. Now that would have made for an epic photo!”

Yea, it would - I’m surprised the bakery did not attempt to capitalize on his visit.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 5:55 AM
Fourth and Main

Thank you for sharing that update, DCMetroRaleigh. That is the development now called Brown School Lofts at Legacy Heights. I don't think that name was officially announced, at this time? It should be announced soon as the name.

Bookmarks is owned by a New York Times best-selling author and he has the connections to bring major authors to downtown Winston-Salem. Even his literary arts festival in downtown Winston-Salem is one of the most noteworthy in the South.

Since this is a time when I'm usually on-the-go, visiting family and spending time locally with my wife and son, there won't be many big update posts. So, I'll try to post them in small batches, without the large number of photographs.

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. If you can, please support any local businesses sharing photographs and thank them.

Since I didn't ask Lauren for a song, I get to pick one... How about a famous 1970s rock band trying disco? My wife Lauren would never pick that, but I would!
Video Link

It's also a famous band that hasn't been featured here.

Union Station Repairs:
When it rains, there are leaks at Union Station. Look for workers to make sizable repairs to the area where the concourse bridge was removed in the 1970s.

Ralph Lauren Expansion:
Front Street Capital will expand Ralph Lauren's massive building in Forsyth County to 1,005,623-square-feet. Landmark Builders will be the General Contractor. The significant expansion should bring new jobs to the area.

New Tenants/Leases:
Woof Gang Bakery & Grooming is opening at 205 South Stratford Road, Unit J.

East Tower:

Credit: 6 a.m. City

Winston Junction:
The owner of Earl's also owns a brand of hot sauce, called Victory Pepper Sauce. They want to paint a large advertisement on the building for Victory Pepper Sauce. Look for this ad, soon!

Alternative Transportation:

Smith Reynolds Airport Restoration:
This video has a new and greatly improved rendering for Smith Reynolds Airport's passenger lobby. So, why do they need such a nice lobby? For eVTOL passenger service! This could be a hub for eVTOL passenger and freight flights to destinations within 150-200 miles/240-322 kilometres. Obviously, this airport won't have record-breaking passenger numbers again, but it could have flights to and from many popular area cities in a less crowded (more comfortable) aircraft and maybe at a more reasonable price. It's exciting to see it could happen in two or three years and not in the far distant future!

Video Link

Off-Subject:

Video Link

Video Link

Last edited by Matthew; Nov 28, 2023 at 6:51 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 6:07 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

A big international employer selects here for a new facility and hundreds of new jobs, a change at Bailey Park, new traffic circle art, and three projects we haven't heard from in a while!

Video Link

Kaleideum Science Museum:

Credit: Kaleideum

Credit: flblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans & Sutherland
Our team has successfully completed a recent installation project at the Kaleideum Planetarium in Winston-Salem, NC, which is now equipped with a 40-foot diameter hemispheric projection dome with compound curved, NanoSeam, powder-coated panels. With this latest upgrade, the planetarium is equipped with the tools to deliver visually immersive and engaging experiences for visitors.

Credit: Evans & Sutherland

Credit: Evans & Sutherland

A full tour:
Video Link

The Depot Hotel & Residences:

Credit: stitchdesignshop

Bailey Park Upgrades:

Changes to these movable panels on the stage:

Credit: Innovation Quarter

Credit: stitchdesignshop

New Tenants/Leases:
It appears as if Roar will finally install historically appropriate signs on their landmark building. I think more historically accurate signage could be good for their theme.

Fogle Commons / IQ Infrastructure:

Credit: Raleigh Samuel Austin Adams

Credit: Dale Briggs

New Jobs:
Tokyo-based Dai Nippon Printing Co. Ltd., will construct a $233 million advanced manufacturing facility to make lithium-ion battery pouches for electric vehicles. The project is expected to create 352 jobs. Other areas competing for this project included Metro Charlotte and Metro Greenville (S.C.). It's a big win for Metro Winston-Salem.

Nissen Wagon Works Warehousing:

Wake Downtown:
Frank L. Blum Construction will convert roughly 5,000-square-feet of shell space on the second floor of Wake Downtown into more lab and office space.

Hanes Park Sports Facilities:

Credit: George M Bryan Jr

Credit: George M Bryan Jr

Interstate 74:

Salem Bottling Works:
It appears as if the food hall is out. The bakery has made this unfeasible and other restaurants want to lease space for full-sized restaurants. So, it will become multiple full-sized restaurants. And, of course, the event space may have returned? Conclusion: We really don't know what will be in this building, but it's being restored. The planned uses may change again, next week? Interestingly, this was the first Coca-Cola Bottling Facility designed by the actual Coca-Cola Company and their corporate architects! Most of the Coca-Cola facilities built after this one had a similar design.

I love the restored steel casement windows:

Credit: WFDD

1949:

Credit: salembottleworks

Traffic Circle Art:
It appears as if an artist and artwork may have been selected for the traffic circle in the IQ District's next phase (Third Street at Research Parkway)? What would you think of an triumphal arch made from Black Locust Wood and Appalachian Stone, called Sticks & Stones?

1001:

Credit: Bryan Lewis

The Byrum Apartments:
I was told it is moving forward, behind the scenes. A large number of things-to-do before any construction can start. Still, it's not starting this Fall, which only has a little over a couple weeks remaining. I was also told Spring 2024 could be a start date... we'll see. I still think conditions for multi-family are too rough, nationally, right now to start some of these big projects. I've been told the nation is in a multi-family housing recession. Even if downtown's vacancy rate is very low, costs are up significantly and there are fewer buyers for the completed buildings. Those buyers are also offering less.

A site plan for the project, so you can see how it will fill the site (I added all of the street names):

Credit: Stimmel Associates

1664 South Martin Luther King Jr., Drive:
An old industrial building from the 1960s to be renovated for today's industrial tenants.

Video Link

East Tower:

Lot 63 Taproom + Coffeehouse:
We haven't seen an update on this project in a long time! It's the adaptive-reuse of an 1867 building into a craft beer brewery and coffeehouse. The beer, coffee, and baked goods will be authentically Moravian.

Credit: lot63ws

A nice view of Salem Square Park, built in 1766:

Off-Subject:

Video Link

Random Photographs:

Credit: dylan.blackburn

Credit: dylan.blackburn

Bethabara Park National Landmark District (1753):

Bethabara, Winston-Salem by Bill Wells, on Flickr

Your City

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 12:18 AM

You re-posted the rendering of the Depot Hotel and Residences with no commentary. Is this project moving forward again? Thanks as always for your contributions!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 2:08 AM

Any word on the frozen apartment project on the corner of First and Second Street?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 3:22 AM

The children’s museum will be very special when it opens. They should do a big marketing campaign across the state to encourage day and weekend trips by families outside of WS.
It seems the Bottling Factory project doesn’t know what it really wants to be. Looking at the building from the outside, it seems ideal for a food hall or at least a mix of restaurants too. Hope there is room for some retail mixed in there and some unique cuisine.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 1:52 PM

Roar has a nice food hall, but Winston needs more than one food hall and a bigger food hall, preferably downtown.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 4:21 PM
Fourth and Main

I post all images and renderings found. With what I’m hearing (multi-family recession), I’m thinking all of the big projects involving “residences” are likely on hold. I haven’t asked about this project in a while. Interestingly I haven’t heard anything on Brookhyrst and it was scheduled to start this fall, according to several news reports.

It would be great to have another food hall downtown. These days, so many of them are restaurants created by the development team. It would be nice to have one with stalls open to any local restaurant startups.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 3:53 PM

The new 10-year Downtown Plan is approved and available. https://www.downtownws.com/partnering/downtown-plan/

Interestingly the indication is "One Triad Park Office Tower, which is 340 feet
high (2nd tallest in Winston-Salem), has 19
floors, and is 271,000 square feet in size. " (page 18 with repurposed design) What am I missing here since it's actually the 3rd tallest at 340 feet - Wells Fargo is 460 feet and Truliant is 410 feet.

After a cursory examination noticed a 5,000 seat amphitheater is suggested (I reckon they finally noticed Matthew's recommendations).

The report also calls for a full-service grocery/supermarket in the Stadium District -seems like city officials might actually be listening to people's recommendations.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post
The new 10-year Downtown Plan is approved and available. https://www.downtownws.com/partnering/downtown-plan/

The report also calls for a full-service grocery/supermarket in the Stadium District -seems like city officials might actually be listening to people's recommendations.
Perhaps, the stalled Brookhyrst project will finally Deliver the first downtown supermarket.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 1:46 AM
Fourth and Main

Actually...

It's more like...
Wells Fargo Center: 485'
Truliant Tower: 412'
200 West Second: 340'
500 West 5th: 330'
Cardinal Hotel & Residences: 330'

Those are all common heights or actual height numbers before getting rounded-off to the nearest "0," in the case of Truliant Tower, you've seen over-and-over, but the Wells Fargo Center is a dramatic 25 feet / 7.6 metres taller than what you've seen over-the-years. So, that deserves a good explanation.

For many years, I've heard the building was 16-28 feet taller than the height we've used for decades, but no one saying those heights would ever provide proof. Even Smith Reynolds Airport has it at 476 feet / 145 metres (Avcon Airspace Document, from the center elevation of the site to the top of the dome) as a flight obstacle for pilots to watchout for. About a year ago, I finally had the proof to change the height (though I haven't changed it here... because I don't want to redo the diagram ) Yes, I know I should change it, but I also wanted to announce it (with proof) in a place where people could see the change and discuss it before doing it. The 485 foot / 147.9 metre height is measured from the only side of the building that actually fronts the sidewalk. So, it is the sidewalk to highest point height. The sidewalk elevation at the southwest corner is 891 feet ASL and the top of the dome is at 1,376 feet ASL (architect's elevation and City of Winston-Salem). This gives us 485 feet / 147.9 metres in height.

Even the walkway around the building is 914 feet ASL, giving us 462 feet / 140.8 metres above the plaza and bank branch entrance:

Credit: Cesar Pelli & Associates

The main site I used is down and it is more exact than this one, but you can verify this at several places...

The 891 ASL number: (It shows 890, but it's 891 where the building meets the sidewalk)

Credit: State of North Carolina (with GSV background image)

So, where does the building measure 460 feet / 140.2 metres above something? It's 460 feet / 140.2 metres above the location of this tree (tree on the right at 916 ASL), which doesn't count:

Credit: GSV

The 460 foot / 140.2 metre height was from the far northeast corner of the site and is disconnected from the actual building. I think they just took the highest point of the block (916 ASL) and measured above that, even though the terrain drops as you walk toward the building. Even the printed materials of the time give that 916 ASL number around the far northeast corner. As for the taller heights people had: They seem to go back to a bad dome ASL height for the building at the airport. I'm using the number the architect's materials and City have. That airport number for the dome is the only one that produces a 488.6 height. It's different from the architect's and City's number for the dome, which produces a 485 height. I guess that FAA / Airport number will always have people saying 488.6 or a rounded-up 489 feet?

Last edited by Matthew; Dec 8, 2023 at 2:03 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 2:17 AM

Thanks for all the info. The question is that the new Downtown Plan lists the former BB&T Building as second tallest when it is clearly third tallest. Is there a reason or is it just a mistake?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations