HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
You go from this (nice random trees to sit under, probably 60-80 year old palm trees):
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4219...7i16384!8i8192

To a sterile landscape architecture student's final project.

And don't get me started on when ASU ripped out all of the original 100+year old palm trees on Palm Walk to replace them with the new date palms because "they were likely nearing the end of their lifespan".

Academics can't get out of their own way sometimes.
Academics aren't making these decisions. It's probably the landscape guys. Y'all sound a lot more like the tree hugging academics when it comes to this. Efficiencies and end-of-life statements sounds exactly like the lawn-mowing Ron Swanson types that typically steer landscaping departments.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 8:10 PM

I found this in the documents for the City Council Meeting today:
"(RFQ 23-112) The City issued a Request for Qualifications (RFQ)
inviting qualified firms to submit their qualifications to serve as the development team for the mixed-use
redevelopment of First Street and Farmer Avenue including City-owned land consisting of approximately
2.5 acres located at the northeast corner of First Street and Farmer Avenue. Qualified firms were
required to demonstrate that they currently have control over the adjacent property west of the City site.
A mixed-use redevelopment was sought that includes the following elements:
- Historic preservation of the Gonzales-Martinez House
- A façade conservation easement memorializing and protecting the structure.
- A pedestrian bridge to link to Tempe Town Lake.
- Mixed-income residential housing structure with ground floor commercial development"

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTempe View Post
I found this in the documents for the City Council Meeting today:
"(RFQ 23-112) The City issued a Request for Qualifications (RFQ)
inviting qualified firms to submit their qualifications to serve as the development team for the mixed-use
redevelopment of First Street and Farmer Avenue including City-owned land consisting of approximately
2.5 acres located at the northeast corner of First Street and Farmer Avenue. Qualified firms were
required to demonstrate that they currently have control over the adjacent property west of the City site.
A mixed-use redevelopment was sought that includes the following elements:
- Historic preservation of the Gonzales-Martinez House
- A façade conservation easement memorializing and protecting the structure.
- Mixed-income residential housing structure with ground floor commercial development"
Nice. I've been wondering when they would move forward there. Others might disagree but I'm glad they're preserving the Gonzales-Martinez house. And I'm intrigued by the idea of a pedestrian bridge. It would be nice if they completed the pedestrian path along the railroad tracks all the way to connect to the lake path.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTempe View Post
Qualified firms were

So if it is required for qualification to have control over the west-adjacent property, then only one applicant will be qualified? That adjacent property is owned by the state, so is that for sale? And then whoever buys that will be the only qualified applicant?

A ped bridge to Tempe Town Lake? Seems pretty pricey, but that would be a cool amenity and hopefully it will be for use for the public, not just the project. Maybe they're envisioning using these old column/footings?

http://www.google.com/maps/@33.43150...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 4:58 PM

So, am I the only one curious

As to what those black objects were each about the size of an outhouse that were buried in the ground right next to mill avenue at that new lawn area in front of Old Main on the ASU Campus? They dug a hole then buried about 40-50 or so of these things side by side close to where the drawing of this project shows a proposed long sign just parallel to Mill Ave. I have no clue what those are but they are not footings for a sign especially one that has no real height to it. I thought maybe it was some type of a water feature but that makes zero sense now.
You can see the tractors leveling the dirt over these now on the ASU Campus View Site. Time Capsules?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 6:31 PM

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 6:47 PM

So the "lighthouse" building west of the architecture school is fenced up...does anyone know what ASU's plans for the building are? It seems to be in a pretty shabby state...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 7:15 PM
Skyriser

This says its deferred maintenance is equal to its replacement value, so I'm wondering if they're gonna raze it rather than remodel or repurpose it.

https://issuu.com/bfcommgroup/docs/c...2744f29d4a573a

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
This says its deferred maintenance is equal to its replacement value, so I'm wondering if they're gonna raze it rather than remodel or repurpose it.

Is it just the one next to the arch school, or including the one on the corner or Myrtle? I think that is an old auditorium if I remember right.

But ugh, this metro area won't quit until every last older building is razed for a parking lot or a new value-engineered building of some sort.

Even if something like this doesn't have actual "historic value", the fact that it's 60+ years old and relatively unique makes the built environment more interesting and worth maintaining, IMO.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 8:17 PM

ASU parking by Mill and University

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 8:46 PM

Judgin by dem columns poured in front of the garage facing Mill Ave it seems like ASU is moving forward with it's "Classroom and retail" building at the same time? I think the other side of the garage was earmarked for student housing?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 4:48 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 2:03 PM

Grabbed a few photos of the South Pier and it's neighbor, which has been under construction so long I don't even remember the name.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 7:51 PM
Skyriser

It looks like the construction manager got a raise at Burger King... this project is slowly but surely coming together.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
As to what those black objects were each about the size of an outhouse that were buried in the ground right next to mill avenue at that new lawn area in front of Old Main on the ASU Campus? They dug a hole then buried about 40-50 or so of these things side by side close to where the drawing of this project shows a proposed long sign just parallel to Mill Ave. I have no clue what those are but they are not footings for a sign especially one that has no real height to it. I thought maybe it was some type of a water feature but that makes zero sense now.
You can see the tractors leveling the dirt over these now on the ASU Campus View Site. Time Capsules?
Could be cisterns for water collection and underground banking? I have seen it a few times, mostly in CA, though probably not quite at this scale.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Is it just the one next to the arch school, or including the one on the corner or Myrtle? I think that is an old auditorium if I remember right.

But ugh, this metro area won't quit until every last older building is razed for a parking lot or a new value-engineered building of some sort.

Even if something like this doesn't have actual "historic value", the fact that it's 60+ years old and relatively unique makes the built environment more interesting and worth maintaining, IMO.
I went by there last night and it's both buildings. ASU had posted some signage but it was too hard to read while driving.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I went by there last night and it's both buildings. ASU had posted some signage but it was too hard to read while driving.
Walked by, they are set for demolition. Disappointing.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 8:24 PM

/\ That is disappointing. Tempe and ASU is nearly complete in it's transition from a smaller college-centric town. For some people that's great because it means there are a bunch of new towers to look at. For others, me included, I'll always relish the past. I at least caught the twilight of the old hayday while I was at ASU. Oh well.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Does anyone have a photo of the buildings going down? Don't think i know these by memory but also hate seeing 50+ year old buildings come down... As much as I love a new highrise I think there is still plenty of room for both in most of this metro... Oh well.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 10:52 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Does anyone have a photo of the buildings going down? Don't think i know these by memory but also hate seeing 50+ year old buildings come down... As much as I love a new highrise I think there is still plenty of room for both in most of this metro... Oh well.
It's these two ... the gym on the right is from 1939, the "tower" is from 1961.

Don't think a new high rise is going here, i think this is the location for a utility plant but I'm not sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest