HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 1:10 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Another project in the central ninth area with an uncertain future is The Sydney (906 S 200 W), whose property and plans have been listed for sale for several months now on Crexi for $4.77 million: https://www.crexi.com/properties/598...south-200-west

Urban Alfandre does still list it on their website, but I don't know if we should read too much into that. The Sydney was supposed to replace the burnt down dry cleaners and correspond with The Slate project (under construction) next door.

Hopefully the new owners will build the project, which was supposed to include groundfloor retail and 128 residential units.

They are doing a bunch of site work and what looks like footings and utilities (??) right now. Could just be remediation from the former dry cleaners but the whole site is very busy.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merewether View Post
Hardison, at SE corner of South Temple and 500 East, seems nearing completion.
86CED438-5A55-4203-92FE-DCC592501231_1_105_c by MerewetherDB, on Flickr

7036FD89-426B-439A-8843-4014624B30A7_1_105_c by MerewetherDB, on Flickr
The Hardison is listed on apartments.com with units being available October 31. This can obviously change, but it seems like the project may indeed be completed and ready for tenants by Halloween.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 1:36 AM

The Hyve (1740 W Gertie Ave), the 6 floor & 304 unit project, is also listed on apartments.com with some updated images of their progress (looks almost complete) and October 21 is listed as when units will be available.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoneySLC View Post
I think it's smart business to not go ahead with this project. With so much neighborhood push back, Jolley risked a slew of negative press surrounding Kozo. Better to rework the whole thing and/or abandon ship.

Lets hope something which is more amenable to the neighborhood comes out of this whole process.
Amenable to the neighborhood? You realize this has the Hardware Apartments just to the east, and Citifront/Bridges and City Station apartments just to the south, right? Not to mention an older apartment complex literally across the street to the east. It's also got excellent transit access, being easy walking distance from both TRAX and FrontRunner, not to mention several 15-minute bus lines. It's not as if apartments are new to this area, and it's almost as transit-accessible as residential neighborhoods get in Utah.

I understand citizen concerns, but I don't want us to set a precedent of citizen pushback killing perfectly reasonable apartment complexes. We will never get out of our housing crisis this way. It's never worked in other cities and it won't work here.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
The Hyve (1740 W Gertie Ave), the 6 floor & 304 unit project, is also listed on apartments.com with some updated images of their progress (looks almost complete) and October 21 is listed as when units will be available.
I had a hard time remembering this project at first until connecting it as Phase III of West Station apartments.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 3:58 PM

I don't know much about construction, so I'm wondering how today's steel prices affect projects that are already completely planned or under construction. For example, would 255 State be affected by today's steel price? Or did they already pay for their full order of steel for the project? Same question for Astra. Are they locked into earlier steel prices? Or will they have to pay current steel prices to proceed?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
Also, I found it interesting that Salt Lake County has a much higher population density than Clark County, NV or Maricopa County, AZ. Even with all the wilderness area in Salt Lake County.
Do you have a link to this? Curious how it was calculated. I'm super familiar with SL and Maricopa counties, by comparison Salt Lake County is tiny at 800ish square miles versus over 9000 in Maricopa but most of this is undeveloped and never will be developed.

I am curious to see the urban area density stats will get updated and how things have changed. In 2010 the Vegas urban area was quite a bit more dense than SLC at 4500 versus about 3700 in SLC and around 3200 in PHX.

Last edited by locolife; Aug 18, 2021 at 4:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 4:19 PM

Someone in the SLC sub-reddit mentioned a friend received notice to move out the La France apartments. Perhaps the Greektown development is getting close to starting.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
Someone in the SLC sub-reddit mentioned a friend received notice to move out the La France apartments. Perhaps the Greektown development is getting close to starting.
This proposal, right? I absolutely love this project and my fingers are crossed this is true. Seems strange to me that they would start with the apartments first, though.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/02/...w-development/

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 10:28 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
This proposal, right? I absolutely love this project and my fingers are crossed this is true. Seems strange to me that they would start with the apartments first, though.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/02/...w-development/
Fingers crossed it doesn't. The apartments they're demolishing are so unique and a real slice of actual urban living in an area where i t's just such a rarity. To replace it with a bland development that could be built anywhere is a fucking travesty (and I'm not necessarily talking about the two towers but specifically the area replacing the current apartments...that could just as be West Valley City but I doubt you'll find anything quite like the apartments on that area anywhere in the valley).

Such a disappointment that again Salt Lake is cool with ripping out its fabric. It's remarkable how this city can be filled with historical and religious preservationists due to the LDS Church and be so shortsighted on actual city preservation. It's appalling. Almost as if they're all hypocrites.

Especially since I doubt the apartments replacing that area will be nearly as affordable.

In 20 years, I would not be surprised if pretty much every major historic apartment building in the downtown area is razed.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Amenable to the neighborhood? You realize this has the Hardware Apartments just to the east, and Citifront/Bridges and City Station apartments just to the south, right? Not to mention an older apartment complex literally across the street to the east. It's also got excellent transit access, being easy walking distance from both TRAX and FrontRunner, not to mention several 15-minute bus lines. It's not as if apartments are new to this area, and it's almost as transit-accessible as residential neighborhoods get in Utah.

I understand citizen concerns, but I don't want us to set a precedent of citizen pushback killing perfectly reasonable apartment complexes. We will never get out of our housing crisis this way. It's never worked in other cities and it won't work here.
I also don't think we get out of it by just letting developers have their will at every turn. Utilizing community feedback is necessary.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Fingers crossed it doesn't. The apartments they're demolishing are so unique and a real slice of actual urban living in an area where i t's just such a rarity. To replace it with a bland development that could be built anywhere is a fucking travesty (and I'm not necessarily talking about the two towers but specifically the area replacing the current apartments...that could just as be West Valley City but I doubt you'll find anything quite like the apartments on that area anywhere in the valley).

Such a disappointment that again Salt Lake is cool with ripping out its fabric. It's remarkable how this city can be filled with historical and religious preservationists due to the LDS Church and be so shortsighted on actual city preservation. It's appalling. Almost as if they're all hypocrites.

Especially since I doubt the apartments replacing that area will be nearly as affordable.

In 20 years, I would not be surprised if pretty much every major historic apartment building in the downtown area is razed.
I couldn't agree more. I have this horrible gut feeling that the vast majority of the tick-tacky apts being built in the current boom are destined to become rundown and mismanaged in the next 10-15 years. Lets hope that's not the case, but looking at The Lotus is the writing on the wall in that regard? *sigh*

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. I have this horrible gut feeling that the vast majority of the tick-tacky apts being built in the current boom are destined to become rundown and mismanaged in the next 10-15 years. Lets hope that's not the case, but looking at The Lotus is the writing on the wall in that regard? *sigh*
Oh please. Y'all being ridiculous.

Let me remind you of the dank and awful buildings you are alleging to be of such high quality design, construction, and social importance.

Images from: https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/02/...w-development/

The whole place is a termite ridden, rotted, garbage pile. Even if the church spent the countless millions of dollars to fully maintain the property (let alone countless millions more to bring it up to earthquake safety) the buildings would still be a bunch of dank, dark, and decrepit alleyways.

I will also remind you, that the whole point of them redeveloping is so that they can afford to better maintain the cathedral itself as well as build a new community center that will actually have social importance.

I will literally hold a party the day those awful things come down.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Aug 19, 2021 at 12:50 AM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I also don't think we get out of it by just letting developers have their will at every turn. Utilizing community feedback is necessary.
Community feedback is important...to an extent. If the 'community' was actively working with the developer to do things like: improve lighting so the area is safer at night, asking for the inclusion of some public art, encouraging more pedestrian-friendly elements, inclusion of some public space, etc. all that is great! That is the type of dialogue that improves the city.

But if the 'community feedback' is a bunch of a-hole bullies that think all redevelopment is 'violence' that go around screaming, swearing at, threatening, and harrassing construction workers and staff that are just trying to do their jobs...then 'community feedback,' as you put it, becomes mob-rule.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 12:56 AM

I'm with Comrade on the La France apts. There's almost nothing like them in the city except for a dead-end street here and there. The grit look is cool.
I've had 3 separate friends live there throughout the years, and the most recent has said that they've been warning residents to be ready to move out for years, just from the upcoming development.
If they could rehab them, and make them physically safe, I say keep em'.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 1:09 AM

I would have to agree with both Comrade and Blah_Amazing. It’s unfortunate that the owners of some of these unique older buildings couldn’t keep them up for various reasons. I’m sure it’s very difficult and expensive to keep these older buildings up to date/code and in good condition. I would say I blame the previous owners more then I would the new developers though. But blame may not always be the best word. Shit happens and shit is expensive. It would be nice to get a better mix of developers with different niche projects. We are definitely getting a lot of basic Developements and it’s understandable but at some point we need to get a few guys/groups that can specialize in restoration vs replacement. Hopefully SLC can foster that mind set for a few of these older properties that could make sense but the list is getting shorter by the year as they are replaced. You can see the possibilities in those photos posted but that would be a pretty serious project to make it turn out right. We need to get more young people into the trades and interested in older homes and buildings to spur interest in these projects. I’d like to get a “tech” campus downtown but maybe we need a little “Trades campus” too. There is a disappearing pool of talent that will need to be replaced as the older generation leave the industry. I think you are right that these current buildings will become run down sooner then later and probably because there are a more people unqualified and un trained building them in the first place. Even just a few minor/simple mistakes can turn into massive problems in the future.

I’ll stop know, I feel like I’m rambling. You get my drift though

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflatflat9 View Post
I'm with Comrade on the La France apts. There's almost nothing like them in the city except for a dead-end street here and there. The grit look is cool.
I've had 3 separate friends live there throughout the years, and the most recent has said that they've been warning residents to be ready to move out for years, just from the upcoming development.
If they could rehab them, and make them physically safe, I say keep em'.
Look, if you personally like rotten, moldy, 'gritty', and termite ridden building aesthetic, that's fine. Detroit is probably a better city for you.

La France would likely take millions to be brought properly up to code (likely resulting in them being pretty much stripped down and rebuilt all over again anyway) to make them safe in case of future worse earthquakes and improve living standards.

The balconies on the front (the only interesting part of them architecturally) would likely have to be fully ripped down, replaced, or permanently removed from the buildings. Up close especially you can tell that they are utterly unsafe as they are now.

So if you know how they could otherwise raise millions of dollars to do all of that, build the community center, and pay for the continued maintenance on the Cathedral - awesome!! Let them know right now!

Otherwise, the city is better off not having these dangerous and ugly structures in the built environment. At least, in my opinion.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Aug 19, 2021 at 2:00 AM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 1:22 AM

Update on 300 West roadwork (set to complete 2022): https://kutv.com/news/local/painful-...me-relief-soon

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 1:56 AM

2021 Completed SLC Projects

By my count, these are the projects that have finished so far:

So just over 950 residential units completed so far.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 2:54 AM

Does anyone know what has been holding up all of the projects in the Depot district? So many developments and no action. Alta Depot, the Cinq and the Zypher all have been approved for awhile. Hopefully they aren’t going down like other recently canceled projects.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West