HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Cntrbnd must know something that the rest of the retailers don't by setting shop in Downtown. They got some pricey stuff and interesting high end brands, but I am quite glad to see a luxury retailer try making Downtown retail a thing again.
It could just be another retailer looking to expand into Winnipeg with extremely poor local real estate representation. If you come in saying for example "all our stores are in the downtown area of a city" and then don't listen to local advice this could be the result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Ughh the Dollaramaification of St. Vital continues. One on St Mary's/River, one across the street from the mall, and one on St Mary's and Dakota already. How does that work lol.
Hard truth is if all these dollar stores were not somehow turning a profit the rate of their expansion would definitely slow. That dollar stores continue to pop up faster than Tim Hortons or dandelions basically says all we need to know.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Any news on what's going at the Old Pier One Exports/EQ3 space at SW corner at Polo Park. (It looks like it will be subdivided into 3 units)
The southwest corner of that building has (had?) a sign up saying TD bank would be the tenant.

I am honestly surprised CF didn't do a planned demo of that building with they moved EQ3 to the mall.

Also it isn't obvious until you are right next to in, the southwest corner on the ground level of the former Sears building is definitely vacant and for lease, likely with only an exterior entrance. Also I didn't explore it much but it appears the second floor Sears space is at least partially vacant. There is an access point from the food court to a hallway that appears to be geared to professional offices like a doctor/dentists with "for lease" signs in the windows. Not sure if that was a planned vacancy or is perhaps part of the the space 24/7 In Touch was using in the mall.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 5:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Banks seem to be prime targets for some of these new stand alone CRU units being built in mall parking lots. There is a new Scotia Bank building planned for the very front/centre of the KP Mall parking lot on Regent. Part of the "Mall Densification" project as KP says.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 9:13 PM

I think both the enclosed malls and the banks have come to accept they don't necessarily make sense to take up space inside the mall but still benefit from being fairly close.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Also I didn't explore it much but it appears the second floor Sears space is at least partially vacant. There is an access point from the food court to a hallway that appears to be geared to professional offices like a doctor/dentists with "for lease" signs in the windows. Not sure if that was a planned vacancy or is perhaps part of the the space 24/7 In Touch was using in the mall.
24/7 is still using that second floor space as far as I know.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 3:47 PM

Reminder of the KP mall expansion layout. Right now they just have drywall up where the CRU's will along the diagonal theatre access. I haven't been to the theatre yet, but will make an effort to get there soon.

I wonder when they're going ahead with the rest of the expansion project. I would assume they'd get the new food court up and running before demoing the existing area.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
24/7 is still using that second floor space as far as I know.
I was mostly speculating as it was fairly public that 24/7 had the contract for call centre to support covid test results and vaccination appointments. While nothing has been said publicly I would think it is reasonable that the current state of covid response would likely mean those staffing levels have dropped significantly.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 5:47 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Reminder of the KP mall expansion layout. Right now they just have drywall up where the CRU's will along the diagonal theatre access. I haven't been to the theatre yet, but will make an effort to get there soon.

I wonder when they're going ahead with the rest of the expansion project. I would assume they'd get the new food court up and running before demoing the existing area.
Unsure of the exact start date, but PCL sill has all of their construction trailers on site and all of the steel roof trusses have been pre-purchased and are in the laydown area on site.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 3:24 PM

Based on what I have seen driving past KP it seems to be planned for 3-5 phases on construction.

1 - Sears demo
2a - Save on Foods construction
2b - new theater construction
3 - new food court and connector to former Dominion spur
4 - demo of old food court, theater and attached areas
5 - construction of new larger space CRU

* it is possible to food court demo and construction of the new large CRU in its place may happen before the old theater and surrounding areas are demoed. Not sure its been confirmed but seems likely Dollorama is moving from its current location in the former Shoppers into the new CRU to be built approximately where the food court is today.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 4:02 PM

That's pretty much it.

Like Biff mentioned, the steel for the new food court has been sitting out back for years now. They paved the parking lot this past summer. So the site could basically sit as is for now.

The diagonal connector into the mall is planned for CRU's. they're currently just covered in by drywall from what I could see last week. I assume they'll continue work on finishing that area.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 12:44 PM

Even Thompson is getting its first Dollarama! The old Staples location was subdivided and re-oriented into three units with said dollar store taking a unit. Was just there for two days and retail seems to be doing well.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 7:51 PM

Looks like Winnipeg is getting its Arby’s back, and a Krispy Kreme

https://seasonswinnipeg.ca/assets/20...ochure-fas.pdf

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 10:03 PM

Krispy Kreme?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
Looks like Winnipeg is getting its Arby’s back, and a Krispy Kreme

https://seasonswinnipeg.ca/assets/20...ochure-fas.pdf
The plan does indeed show Krispy Kreme but when I linked to the AccessWinnipeg announce in early January and clicked on EAT, Krispy Kreme was not listed. Either this means that the franchise is available for this location or whatever, I checked out Krispy Kreme in Canada and there is no mention of any outlet in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laumag View Post
The plan does indeed show Krispy Kreme but when I linked to the AccessWinnipeg announce in early January and clicked on EAT, Krispy Kreme was not listed. Either this means that the franchise is available for this location or whatever, I checked out Krispy Kreme in Canada and there is no mention of any outlet in Winnipeg.
To be honest the Arby’s is way more exciting to me lol, miss them.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 3:12 AM

I loved Krispy Kreme even though I knew they were totally unhealthy with all those trans fats. I used to pick them up at the Co-op gas station on Mcphillips close to the perimeter on the way out of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 2:46 PM

If I recall correctly in broad terms in the early 2000s Krispy Kreme has started their first expansion attempt into Canada. I think Winnipeg was very much on the list. Then the recession of 2008 hit and basically hit the chain hard. It existed Canada and closed a number of US locations, and from memory that included Fargo.

Time has passed since then and they are in a better place financial and are again coming with an aggressive Canadian expansion plan. Typically those sort of plans would include at least one location in Winnipeg.

Here is a link to the story from the Krispy Kreme perspective:

https://retail-insider.com/bulletin/...ore-expansion/

--

Speaking on that update Seasons map that circulated recently it also has the chain St Louis Bar and Grill on the plans and a new Dollarama which feels really odd as they literally has a story on the other side of Sterling Lyon (aka next to Ikea).

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 5:02 PM

On regent there’s a dollarama in KP and another one across the street near the toys r us.

Selkirk now has two dollarama’s lol.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
On regent there’s a dollarama in KP and another one across the street near the toys r us.

Selkirk now has two dollarama’s lol.
Don't forget about the one's on Concordia, Plessis, and another just down the road on Regent lol.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laumag View Post
Winnipeg Free Press will have an article on Jan 17 about the Krispy Kreme coming to Winnipeg. The Chief Growth office for Krispy Kreme Canada is quoted saying they settled on the South Winnipeg spout about 8 months ago.

Same article also talks about the other new restaurants that will be opening there

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^^ As long as Chick-fil-A never comes to Manitoba it is a good thing.
As soon as Chick-Fil-A opens here, I am going to order some food. Not because I like the place. Only due to the idiots who are boycotting it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan