HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 1:54 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
We got 8 cm of snow, which changed to rain around 10 pm. It’s pretty messy out there.
Yea I’d rather that it were all snow.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 2:11 PM

It was all rain here, we ended up with 25.1 mm. Currently 0.5 degrees and very windy

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 2:51 PM

Winter has arrived in Kelowna, a few centimeters downtown and more the higher you go.

Today shouldnt be too bad, -4c for the high but starting tomorrow we are getting pummeled by the cold, daytime high on Friday is -19c....yikes.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 2:54 PM

Nothing here yet, just cold. Cloudy with some sunny breaks and -6 at 11:30am. Will remain chilly all day.

Snow rolls in tonight, though only expecting around 5-8 cm before a change to rain.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 3:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Snowfall warning has now ended in Moncton. Currently -1C with light snow and blowing snow. The transition to rain should occur within the hour.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 5:32 PM
early dogecoin investor

In Moncton today:

HL-10º

Lots of snow this morning as MonctonRad mentioned, its turned to rain and its coming down pretty heavy at the moment.

It's going to be an interesting couple hours here as temperatures climb to 6º around 8pm and ~12mm of rain should fall, coupled with the melting snow from today it's going to be wet and messy. Driving the TCH the roads are slick.

Wind will also pick up here soon as gusts from 85-100kph are expected until the evening.

Coming from Toronto yesterday this is now the second time I've sat through this system lol.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 5:35 PM

On one of my projects sites today. most walls are still not up so the wind blowing through was tough to deal with. But the snow has stopped, about 10cm if we are lucky. Temps were -23C but feels like -32. Even full winter PPE it was cold. Plus cleats on boots (mandatory PPE in the winter) and the finished concrete was still bloody slippery.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
The Vancouver pics have been off the hook lately! And lovely Cobourg shots too, and St. John’s and Quebec City have to be the most photogenic snow cities in Canada. Although Vancouver with the snow capped mountains ain’t half bad either.

Looks like Victoria proper could fall below zero for the first time this winter, maybe snow? Last day of snow here was December 20, 2022.

High today only 6.5 but felt half decent in mixed sunny weather. My pics from an afternoon walk. A plum tree on this street is having a gay old time, yet some of the other trees are still sitting with their dead and dried leaves. I guess the new growth will push them off. A proactive homeowner here has already got the salt down on the sidewalk, smart.
Is Victoria even a real place in Canada? Looks way to nice to be part of our big, cold, broken Canadian family

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 6:55 PM

Next few weeks will be cold in Toronto, with the peak seemingly arriving around Tuesday/Wednesday next week. Highs will hover around -10, with lows around -15. Since it is an El Nino year, it could be our coldest stretch of weather this season.

Last winter, our coldest temperature was -21.8. Doesn't look like it will get quite that cold this go around, but on the flip side, we did not have a stretch longer than a few days last year of frigid weather, whereas this pattern will stick around for at least 10 days or so.

In any case, today is not a very nice day; 1, overcast and very windy and blustery.

7 day forecast:1/1/2/1/-2//-5/-9

Light snowfalls expected Thursday and Saturday. Unlikely to exceed 5cms.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 7:16 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Cold but spectacular. Had to get off the bus at the post office to pick up my books for winter but it was a cozy walk home.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradFromTO View Post
Is Victoria even a real place in Canada? Looks way to nice to be part of our big, cold, broken Canadian family
Victoria actually has a cold weekend upcoming. Could get as cold as -10. I doubt it will get that cold though.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 7:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Now +3C in Moncton and raining. The rain will continue through 9 PM. Winds of 50 gusting to 70. It will remain warm tomorrow, so I expect the majority of the snowfall today will simply melt.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Victoria actually has a cold weekend upcoming. Could get as cold as -10. I doubt it will get that cold though.
I prefer the climate in Victoria over Vancouver. Feels like less rainy days. But they do get wicked wind storms.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 9:43 PM
I stand with UKRAINE

Reading your messages I understand how different the climate of my city is from those of Canada (no matter which part of Canada). Here in Palermo tonight it's the middle of winter, it's raining and it's 10'. But when I read your messages I realize that perhaps for you it would be typical early autumn or late spring weather. Lucky you who can enjoy all winter weather conditions (snow, ice, blizzards, freezing rain, fog, etc.). Here in Palermo I can only dream of them and thank nature which at least makes the rain fall and the temperatures drop below 15'

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 10:24 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradFromTO View Post

In any case, today is not a very nice day; 1, overcast and very windy and blustery.

7 day forecast:1/1/2/1/-2//-5/-9

Light snowfalls expected Thursday and Saturday. Unlikely to exceed 5cms.
It seemed it became a few degrees colder once the wind started blowing more so, by noon.
The overcast conditions were nice for a little walking around downtown.
Construction, Downtown, Jny10,24 by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 10:45 PM
recession proof

Taking a selfie outside Freshco this afternoon, I was stunned to see a tiny patch of blue sky and sun in the sea of gray.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 4:10 AM
Go Chiefs!

Turned out to be a spectacular day.

5C and sunny.

Low of 1C this morning with some rain. Temperatures were like yo-yo. Up to 5C at 4AM then down to 1C and then back up to 5C once the sky cleared.

The warmspot was Halifax (Dockyard), NS at 10.4C.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 5:28 AM

As TownGuy mentioned they’re predicting for -10 for an overnight low for Victoria on Friday with the daytime high of only -4. We’re currently sitting at 4 C at 9 pm in the city of Victoria, with the prediction we’ll go to -1 tonight, the first time below zero this winter.

I don’t know if it’ll really get that cold, seems a bit extreme. The coldest low for Gonzales (main Victoria station) from 1973 to 2023 for Jan 12 is -4.5C.

Those sunny pics I took on the weekend are quite a contrast to the wind storm we had yesterday. Pics by Colin Smith from yesterday taken with along the same shoreline I was at, but beside the cruise ship terminal. Big storms will toss rocks, stick and small logs onto the road - some of these people clearly have a death wish, lol. Photos by Colin Smith Takes Pics on Facebook.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 7:01 AM

^^^ Spectacular!

=========

Calm and dry with a mix of sun and cloud.

Wednesday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 6 C, the low was 3 C.

Coal Harbour/Devonian Park/Lost Lagoon, Vancouver, Jan.10 '24, my pics

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 7:20 AM

All those poor plants about to get an extreme shock.

El Niño really sleeping on the job.

I see this cold surge will hit Portland hard as well, along with Texas (Dallas could fall to below -10 in a few days) and quite an extended cold snap coming for places such as Memphis. Atlanta currently has a -9 in tune forecast.

It always amazes me how much of North America, even the regularly mild areas, are still susceptible to sudden relatively deep freezes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada