HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 7:16 PM

Has anyone heard any potential updates on any projects that were announced over the last while?
I can't seem to find any information anywhere, about anything!

Trinity Gate Tower on Walker road by the 401 is progressing. Top floor should be started shortly on phase 1 tower (6 stories )

I'd love to see any progress on the Security Building and The Canada Building renovations.

The Hive is finally complete... any word on the Condo building from the same developer that's due up at Wyandotte and Victoria?
Inspiration Tower??? still alive??
The Global Village on the old Grace Hospital site??

All their websites don't share a drop of info or updates.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselXL View Post
Has anyone heard any potential updates on any projects that were announced over the last while?
I can't seem to find any information anywhere, about anything!

Trinity Gate Tower on Walker road by the 401 is progressing. Top floor should be started shortly on phase 1 tower (6 stories )

I'd love to see any progress on the Security Building and The Canada Building renovations.

The Hive is finally complete... any word on the Condo building from the same developer that's due up at Wyandotte and Victoria?
Inspiration Tower??? still alive??
The Global Village on the old Grace Hospital site??

All their websites don't share a drop of info or updates.
Frustrating, isn’t it? The only bit of info that I have is that now that the Hive is complete, there was mention in a recent article of starting the new building at Wyandotte betweem Victoria and Pelissier sometime next year, and that it will be 6 floors now instead of 5. So a bit of good news, lol.

I’m really surprised that we haven’t heard any update on the Grace Hospital site!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 3:52 PM

Anyone else get a kick out of the fact that Dilkens gets named to the provincial initiative for housing yet Windsor can't seem to build a flipping thing with any sense of urgency ?
Unless his new position will enable him to fast track projects... I laugh and die on the inside at the same time.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 7:23 PM

There are a couple of potential new projects in Windsor that I know of and have been involved in, but can’t say anything about at the moment.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
There are a couple of potential new projects in Windsor that I know of and have been involved in, but can’t say anything about at the moment.
Well that’s encouraging to hear.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Promising yes! I'll take promising any day of the week.

Seeing is believing round' these parts thought lmao

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 3:20 PM

One of the only things I can really say is that the most visible indicator of developments going on behind the scenes is the presence of geotechnical/environmental drill rigs conducting assessments on a given site. These usually occur a good amount of time in advance of detailed planning. Environmental assessments are also required by banks to provide funding for a project. Not all geotechnical/environmental assessments are done for redevelopment (some are done for financing), but many of them are.

If you see one of these rigs out on a site, there’s a good chance that a redevelopment of some kind is planned. Lots of rigs in Windsor these days.

Last edited by ericmacm; Aug 13, 2022 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 12:35 PM

Interesting about the geotechnical equipment, will have to keep my eye out now for those

Also surprised about the Grace Hospital site not being talked about more with all the press it got. I think it might be worthwhile for the media to follow-up on these given the housing issues in the city.

As for Inspiration Tower, a couple of years back someone posted a link to a real estate listing in the Windsor development thread. It showed the Inspiration Tower images and mentioned that the land had been re-zoned and it "ready for development". I still hold out hope, but it looks like the proposal may have been used to re-zone the land and then try to sell it

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 4:21 PM

Anyone following the elections in Windsor? There's been a few popular city council candidates that are siding with the NIMBYs in Windsor and opposing several mid-high rise developments in the city. Here's a link of the biggest NIMBY supporter, Greg Lemay. Several projects in the development stages in Ward 7 alone.

https://www.iheartradio.ca/am800/new...ent-1.18526341

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 1:31 PM

So many NIMBY’S in this city anymore! Would they prefer a stagnating city with no growth instead of one that’s growing and healthy?

I have faith that most of these people’s attempts to stop new developments will be struck down by the city.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 2:53 PM

I've been following the election closely, and it's really sad to see so many candidates jumping on the NIMBY bandwagon. On the positive side there are also quite a few candidates that have been advocating for increasing infill development.

Hopefully if any of these candidates get elected they'll realize that infill properties bring in more money for the city instead of vacant lots!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 3:35 PM

Looks like Popeyes is opening up in DT at the old Burger King site. Should be much busier than that decrepit Burger King was.

https://windsorite.ca/2022/09/popeye...ntown-windsor/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Looks like Popeyes is opening up in DT at the old Burger King site. Should be much busier than that decrepit Burger King was.

https://windsorite.ca/2022/09/popeye...ntown-windsor/
Oh wow, that's great! Giving the KFC down the street some competition

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 12:24 PM

Popeyes seem to be doing well in Windsor. Thats their 4th location. There's currently one being built on the east side at Tecumseh and Buckingham, right across from another KFC .

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 12:25 PM

Local investors purchase CS Wind property

Not too much to report here, but the CS Wind property now has some local ownership. There are mentions in the article of some early talks with potential tenants, so curious to see where those conversations go

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 12:20 PM

Jake Rondot (Ward 4 city council candidate) has a great vision for Tecumseh road. He discussed his ideas with the Windsor Star a couple weeks ago but he also did an AMA on reddit which was interesting (mentions LRT and new BIAs). Links below.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windsoronta...m_running_for/

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...eh-road-revamp

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 12:02 PM

I can't picture Windsor getting LRT in the near future I feel that's a bit of a pipe dream, London isn't even at that point.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 12:20 PM

I'd love to see some LRT, even if it was more of a Waterloo-style ION system, although that might be far off (I can still dream though! ). We have a good amount of existing rail right-of-way, but again, still a dream haha

I do think some sort of BRT system could work here, even if it started small to start (dedicated bus lanes, transit priority signals, etc.) and incrementally improved from there (dedicated bus-only streets, improved stations, etc.). You could eventually scale it up to an Ottawa-style BRT (i.e. the TransitWay) as a long-term vision too. For quite a long time Ottawa was bus-only as well, they just prioritized its movement throughout the city (well, in certain corridors at least).

The biggest hurdle currently though IMO is getting council to prioritize transit funding in general. The express 1C route (called the 418X) got shot down at budget last year. The 518X (express route from Tecumseh Mall to St. Clair via E.C. Row) is only working today because St. Clair funded the pilot. The city's Transit Master Plan is a really great vision for the city's transit system, but it's definitely an uphill battle to seeing it implemented

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 3:27 PM

Windsor should definitely be planning for at least BRT in the near future. The population keeps increasing and they are trying to push more density with urban infill, so it just makes sense to start thinking about these things now. LRT could come later as demand increases.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 10:04 PM

Nice to finally hear some news about the old Grace Hospital Site “global village”, I was thinking that maybe it was toast.

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/fairmount...lage-1.6105950

https://blackburnnews.com/windsor/wi...king-progress/

Last edited by north 42; Oct 13, 2022 at 11:03 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario