Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 12:48 AM
Closed account

I think.

Quote:
Trinity Medical Center to buy HealthSouth "digital hospital"
Posted by Birmingham News September 29, 2008 7:35 PM
Categories: Breaking News
Trinity Medical Center plans to invest $236 million to buy and finish the abandoned HealthSouth "digital hospital" on U.S. 280, scrapping a new hospital in Irondale. The City of Birmingham will offer $55 million in incentives, according to documents obtained by The News. A formal announcement is expected Tuesday.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 1:15 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Digital?

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 12:01 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabadrock View Post
Digital?

Indeed, I'm looking forward to today's official announcement.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 1:27 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabadrock View Post
Digital?
Read this article from 2001 for details about HealthSouth's "digital hospital" that was never completed:

http://www.managedcaremag.com/archiv...0106.tech.html

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 9:55 PM
Closed account

Very disappointing... I'm glad September is over.

Quote:
Update: Solvay won't build vaccine plant in Birmingham
Posted by Dawn Kent -- Birmingham News September 30, 2008 2:28 PM
Categories: Business
Solvay Pharmaceuticals said today it has discontinued its plans for a U.S.-based influenza vaccine manufacturing facility, a project which Birmingham had been in the running for.

Just this morning, the Jefferson County Commission approved $1 million in incentives for the $386 million facility, which was expected to employ 231 people in Birmingham. Incentives were also coming from the state and the city.

A number of factors played into Solvay's decision, including the current economic climate and a concern about an overcapacity of flu vaccine in the U.S. market, company spokesman Neil Hirsch said.

Solvay also was aiming for additional federal money to build the facility and learned that the pending contract would provide only a 40 percent reimbursement of that cost. In 2006, Solvay was awarded a $298 million contract to develop and test vaccines, and that work continues, he said.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 9:58 PM
Closed account

And now some good news...

Quote:
Trinity touts U.S. 280 location as best choice; Daniel, city officials rejoice
Wednesday, October 01, 2008
ANNA VELASCO and JOSEPH D. BRYANT
News staff writers

Trinity Medical Center officials said Tuesday that relocating to the former HealthSouth hospital on U.S. 280 will be far less costly, better for the environment and accessible to more people than the Irondale site where the eastern Birmingham hospital already has state approval to move.

Trinity, the city of Birmingham and Daniel Corp., owner of the half-built hospital, dropped a bombshell on Irondale and the health care community Tuesday when they announced Trinity's intention to abandon plans to build a new hospital at Grants Mill Road and Interstate 459 and to complete instead the old HealthSouth hospital, nine miles away.

Birmingham Mayor Larry Langford has offered tax incentives worth $55 million to clinch the deal and keep Trinity, formerly Montclair Baptist Medical Center, from moving outside the city limits.

"It would have been a travesty to put a wrecking ball to this facility," Langford said at a midday press conference in front of the impressive but empty shell of a hospital.

Trinity won Certificate of Need approval in May to spend $316 million to build and equip an Irondale hospital, but hospital officials said the real figure would be $400 million or more because of the increase in construction costs since the application was filed in November 2006.

Trinity started the approval process over Tuesday, saying the new project would be more economical. Trinity will spend $205 million to complete the former HealthSouth facility and $70 million to equip the 424-bed hospital, officials told state health regulators in a hand-delivered letter of intent. That's in addition to the sale price, which Daniel and Community have not disclosed yet.

The U.S. 280 site also is in the heart of a huge corridor of growth with twice the population base as the Irondale location, said Wayne Smith, chief executive officer of Community Health Systems, Trinity's parent company.

"This site works so much better for us," Smith said.

The 154-acre Irondale site is close to the Cahaba River and has portions that can't be developed. The old HealthSouth hospital is also close to the river, but the exterior is already built. The 13-story hospital covers less ground than the original designs for the Irondale hospital, which was envisioned as only a few stories.

HealthSouth's 40%:
Talks between Daniel Corp. and Langford began in March, when Daniel bought the entire 103-acre HealthSouth campus, including the hospital, for $43.5 million. HealthSouth retains a 40 percent stake in the building and will get a portion of the proceeds from the sale price.

The hospital, once dubbed the "digital hospital," was the brainchild of former HealthSouth CEO Richard Scrushy and was to be a model of computerization in hospital care.

HealthSouth sank at least $200 million into construction but halted work in 2003 amid an accounting scandal that threatened HealthSouth's future. Scrushy was forced out, and the company tried to unload the building to a hospital operator for years, to no avail.

Talks between Trinity and Daniel began about three months ago, according to both sides.

Trinity has options to buy 14 acres where the hospital sits and a parking deck would be built, and an additional 13½ acres behind the hospital, where it wants to develop doctors' office buildings to complete the medical campus.

Trinity officials said the city's inducement was key to the deal.

Langford's incentive package is similar to one he structured earlier this year for a new Children's Hospital. The Trinity-Daniel deal involves up to $55 million in rebates from the city over 20 years on a portion of occupational, real-estate and sales taxes generated by the project. Of that amount, $40 million would be dedicated to the hospital and medical campus development and $15 million for the rest of the Daniel campus.

"We crunched all of the numbers," Langford said. "All the pieces of the puzzle work to the advantage of Daniel Corp., CHS (Community Health Systems) and the city."

The City Council must approve the agreement. From the appearance of most council members at the press conference, after recessing their regular meeting and heading to the hospital site by MAX bus, Langford will get a majority behind the concept.

"This is a win for the city of Birmingham. This is a win for the region," said Councilwoman Carol Duncan, who campaigned against the hospital's move to Irondale. "I fought very hard to keep Trinity in Birmingham, and now that we're keeping it in Birmingham, I'm quite happy."

Logic of Irondale site:

The HealthSouth hospital has had many hospital suitors but no takers until now. In fact, Trinity's two previous owners took turns investigating the location before settling on Irondale.

Smith said that was before Community bought majority ownership of Trinity last year. Community then bought out Baptist Health System's 35 percent stake at the end of June and became full owner.

Smith said he never understood the logic of the Irondale site, but Community came in too late during the first state approval process to switch to a new site.

One of the frequent complaints about the HealthSouth hospital has been that despite its attractiveness, it was poorly designed for convenient medical care. The emergency department, for example, is on the second floor and the bottom floor designed for retail.

Smith said Community has been working closely with Daniel to remedy any problems.

"We have a solution for the ER," he said. "It's clearly our intention to make our emergency services accessible."

Smith said he thought the project shouldn't be opposed by competitors because it's less expensive and would serve more people.

But it's also closer to key markets for Brookwood Medical Center and St. Vincent's Birmingham.

Both Brookwood and St. Vincent's have signaled their immediate desires to build free-standing emergency departments just a few miles from the former HealthSouth hospital, in Greystone in north Shelby County. Those hospitals are likely to oppose each other's projects as well as Trinity's new plans.

Brookwood has appealed Trinity's initial state approval in circuit court.

E-mail: avelasco@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 5:26 AM
I concede

I cannot believe that Solvay deal fell through. In-freaking-credible.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 12:18 PM
I have lurking issues

It's because they wanted the government to damn near pay all the construction costs of the factory, and the government told em to f**k off, so they told Birmingham to f**k off. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm surprised the state didn't step in with a big incentives package that may could have gone towards the factory's construction. That's what is helping to pay for the big hulking ass expansion of the Goodyear factory in Gadsden.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 12:27 PM
I concede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
It's because they wanted the government to damn near pay all the construction costs of the factory, and the government told em to f**k off, so they told Birmingham to f**k off. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm surprised the state didn't step in with a big incentives package that may could have gone towards the factory's construction. That's what is helping to pay for the big hulking ass expansion of the Goodyear factory in Gadsden.
Surprised? I wish I could say the same. Given the state's general attitude to the city, it makes perfect sense. :-/

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 12:59 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ham Bound View Post
Surprised? I wish I could say the same. Given the state's general attitude to the city, it makes perfect sense. :-/
I feel the same way B'ham Bound.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 1:53 PM
I have lurking issues

True.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 2:12 PM
WAR EAGLE

Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by | BRAVO | View Post
I feel the same way B'ham Bound.
Birmingham is going to have to get over this issue. The state has NEVER made a decent effort with Birmingham. I think local business leaders and area local governments need to come together and do it themselves instead of playing the game with Montgomery. This issue has been around for decades...probably dating back to Birmingham...and north alabama taking political power away from South Alabama. We need to move on.

What the Metro needs is a pot of money and coordinated incentives at the local level. Once Montgomery realizes that we do not need their help...the relationship will be over. Once the Metro realized their collective power....all things will be possible.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 8:20 PM
I concede

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwtiger View Post
Birmingham is going to have to get over this issue. The state has NEVER made a decent effort with Birmingham. I think local business leaders and area local governments need to come together and do it themselves instead of playing the game with Montgomery. This issue has been around for decades...probably dating back to Birmingham...and north alabama taking political power away from South Alabama. We need to move on.

What the Metro needs is a pot of money and coordinated incentives at the local level. Once Montgomery realizes that we do not need their help...the relationship will be over. Once the Metro realized their collective power....all things will be possible.
True. But there's one little thing... that would require inter-government cooperation. At this point, that's about as likely as Alabama bailing Jeffco out of this sewer debacle. The ONLY thing that will help Birmingham at this point, is a strong civic leadership coupled with an intelligent mayor/council. Hell, I'd even argue that we have the former. But, without the latter...well, I'm sure you already know.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 5:02 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Have you guys seen the new Alabama tags I like them and I want your opinion on them it`s in the Mobile thread ?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 6:37 PM
Closed account

This will replace stars fell on Alabama the regular plate, it is not a specialty plate. The new plate will go in to play in January.

Last edited by 10101000; Oct 8, 2008 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 4:00 PM
Honored Member

I like the new tag. It's about time the state offered a standard tag that is comparable to what neighboring states have been offering.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 7:26 PM

For some reason I thought "Stars Fell On" was replaced by "God Bless America" and now I find that we'll have "Sweet Home Alabama" and "God Bless America" plates in addition to our numerous specialty tags. Nifty. I wonder if these will have county numbers on them - the "God Bless America" tags don't.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 9:24 PM
Closed account

Oh yeah. I like that so much better.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 12:28 AM
Trendy.

Love the new plate - very "Miami Vice."

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 12:34 AM

I wonder will the county codes continue to be on them? Like 1 for Jefferson, 11 for Calhoun, 47 for Madison and so forth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast