HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 8:53 PM

Right now I don't care who else was involved.

She is the premier and party leader.

She did it and it was despicable. Time to look in the mirror Heather.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I think that probably has something to do with it. That said, I know people who seem to be lifelong devotees of the NDP provincially and liberals federally who certainly thought some of the social issues brought up by the PCs were valid (which surprised me and made me think for a while it might be another PC government).

I'm sure if the campaign was more competently run we might be talking about a much closer loss at the very least, or perhaps even a return to government. To me the failure to establish who they wanted to be going into the election was what cost them.
The PCs should have hired the folks who ran Christy Clark's successful 2013 campaign in BC where the BC Liberals snatched victory out of the jaws of certain defeat to the NDP. They were 20 points behind when the writ was dropped. Watching some news clips of the 2013 BC election, one big difference was that Christy Clark worked her butt off during the campaign. She was front and centre of the campaign and was actively engaging with the public and the media on a daily basis. This did not happen with Heather Stefanson; who was quite invisible. Ironically, Clark lost her Vancouver seat and had to run in a by-election in a safe Liberal seat in Kelowna to enter the Legislature.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I think that probably has something to do with it. That said, I know people who seem to be lifelong devotees of the NDP provincially and liberals federally who certainly thought some of the social issues brought up by the PCs were valid (which surprised me and made me think for a while it might be another PC government).

I'm sure if the campaign was more competently run we might be talking about a much closer loss at the very least, or perhaps even a return to government. To me the failure to establish who they wanted to be going into the election was what cost them.
I think both sides had valid issues, even if I didn't agree with some of the positions.

I agree the election probably would have been closer if Stephenson had stayed with the "softer/kinder" approach, though it may have just been a seat or two in Winnipeg.

It's all monday-morning quarterbacking at this point anyhoo.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 12:36 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ting-1.6991575

Not much of a story, but starting off on the right foot. I don't think anyone wants a repeat of the relationship between the two Brians.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 1:11 PM
What could go wrong?

news release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 10, 2023

MANITOBA PARTY DE-REGISTERED

The Manitoba Party was de-registered by Elections Manitoba, effective today.
Under The Election Financing Act, if a registered party does not endorse at least five candidates in a general election, the Chief Electoral Officer of Manitoba must de-register it after the election.

As part of the de-registration process, the party must file an audited party annual return for the year 2023 for the period Jan. 1, 2023 to Oct. 10, 2023.

Elections Manitoba is the independent office of the Legislative Assembly responsible for the administration of provincial elections and byelections.

For media inquiries, contact:
Mike Ambrose, Director of Communications and Public Information
Phone: 204-945-7379 | Toll-free: 1-866-628-6837
email: mambrose@elections.mb.ca
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 2:33 PM

A premier who is willing to talk to the mayor of Winnipeg, the (at least temporary) de-registration of a right-wing grievance party and the Jets sign Helle and Scheif. A good week locally so far....

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 3:42 PM

Article from today's CTV news website:

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/manitoba...city-1.6624481

The article is primarily about trying to find energy efficiencies to free up MB Hydro power for future use.

What really struck me was this sentence: "The utility last year suspended new service for cryptocurrency operations, citing their high energy demand."

For me this is a grey area. I have a vague idea of what these operations are all about, and to me they seem to provide next to zero benefits to the province or the community in which the set up, at a cost of huge energy demands; energy which would be better served in industry that actually benefits the province.

How much power do they consume "creating wealth" that only seems to exist in a hypothetical state. I have no idea if this is possible or even legal, but would it make sense for the province to look at shutting down these operations altogether?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Article from today's CTV news website:

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/manitoba...city-1.6624481

The article is primarily about trying to find energy efficiencies to free up MB Hydro power for future use.

What really struck me was this sentence: "The utility last year suspended new service for cryptocurrency operations, citing their high energy demand."

For me this is a grey area. I have a vague idea of what these operations are all about, and to me they seem to provide next to zero benefits to the province or the community in which the set up, at a cost of huge energy demands; energy which would be better served in industry that actually benefits the province.

How much power do they consume "creating wealth" that only seems to exist in a hypothetical state. I have no idea if this is possible or even legal, but would it make sense for the province to look at shutting down these operations altogether?
The bitcoin rate is going to half again in April, not sure how many of these farms will remain profitable. It's diminishing returns. I know some small miners have resorted to using the heat generated by the mining to heat their homes to maintain profitable.

It's interesting though, because Texas has encouraged bitcoin farms as a way of stabilizing their energy grid. At peak demand the mines are compensated to shut down allowing their electricity use to go elsewhere.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 6:42 PM

They literally solve puzzles with lots of computers to 'create' crypto currencies. They require lots of power to operate crypto mines.

https://www.britannica.com/money/what-is-crypto-mining
The process of cryptocurrency mining is the “work” in a proof-of-work blockchain. Crypto miners use vast amounts of computing power as they compete to solve a complex math puzzle. The fastest miner to solve the puzzle is awarded the privilege of adding the newest block to a blockchain. They also collect transaction fees and the newly minted cryptocurrency associated with that block.

It seems being Power Smart is not only the way to keep your costs down, but provide MH with additional power to sell.

This current trend may in fact require the construction on Conawapa or other new generating stations. In the mean time, MH will look at ways to increase efficiency at older plants.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
They literally solve puzzles with lots of computers to 'create' crypto currencies. They require lots of power to operate crypto mines.

https://www.britannica.com/money/what-is-crypto-mining
The process of cryptocurrency mining is the “work” in a proof-of-work blockchain. Crypto miners use vast amounts of computing power as they compete to solve a complex math puzzle. The fastest miner to solve the puzzle is awarded the privilege of adding the newest block to a blockchain. They also collect transaction fees and the newly minted cryptocurrency associated with that block.

It seems being Power Smart is not only the way to keep your costs down, but provide MH with additional power to sell.

This current trend may in fact require the construction on Conawapa or other new generating stations. In the mean time, MH will look at ways to increase efficiency at older plants.
The old Winnipeg Hydro Point Du Bois dam is going to have the 110 year old generating units and transmission lines upgraded to produce more power in the next few years. The upgrades should be good for 30 years once completed.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
The old Winnipeg Hydro Point Du Bois dam is going to have the 110 year old generating units and transmission lines upgraded to produce more power in the next few years. The upgrades should be good for 30 years once completed.
I didn't know this was still being used, but the upgrade is good news.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I didn't know this was still being used, but the upgrade is good news.
It is good news as because at one point Manitoba Hydro was looking at closing the power house down due to the all the old generation equipment that they inherited from Winnipeg Hydro when they took the dam over.

Back in 2013 before the sale to Manitoba Hydro, Winnipeg Hydro was looking at spending over $210 million to upgrade the station.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 2:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It is good news as because at one point Manitoba Hydro was looking at closing the power house down due to the all the old generation equipment that they inherited from Winnipeg Hydro when they took the dam over.

Back in 2013 before the sale to Manitoba Hydro, Winnipeg Hydro was looking at spending over $210 million to upgrade the station.
They didn’t already spend a couple hundred million to upgrade the spillway to mothball the thing!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
They didn’t already spend a couple hundred million to upgrade the spillway to mothball the thing!
From what I read the spillway had to be replaced even if the powerhouse was to be shut down to keep the water level on the Winnipeg River at the historic levels for the other dams and cottages on the shorline.

Cost to complete was around $560 million in 2014

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 5:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
From what I read the spillway had to be replaced even if the powerhouse was to be shut down to keep the water level on the Winnipeg River at the historic levels for the other dams and cottages on the shorline.

Cost to complete was around $560 million in 2014
MB Hydro is going to have to come up with a lot of power transmission if Wabble is still pretending MB can go carbon neutral by 2035!

Can you imagine the power needed with 2 electric vehicles at every home, just can't be done period!

Heat pumps don't work below -15

Good luck with geothermal when your mechanical stuff goes...the draw from the pump itself for geothermal is huge and basically negates any savings! There's a reason why no one installs it anymore!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Heat pumps don't work below -15

Good luck with geothermal when your mechanical stuff goes...the draw from the pump itself for geothermal is huge and basically negates any savings! There's a reason why no one installs it anymore!
Arm yourself with knowledge before you post inflammatory dribble. Heat pumps now work to -25 and then an auxiliary heat source is used. For most of our winter that heat source isn't needed. I have friends with heat pumps and they absolutely love them. The technology wasn't where it is now when I replaced my furnace a few years ago otherwise I'd be using a heat pump now too.

Neighbour up the road has geothermal and loves it too. Got any sources for your dislike of geothermal?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Got any sources for your dislike of geothermal?
Cenovus...Suncor...Imperial Oil...the Conservative Party....I'm guessing pretty much any supplier of home heating oil or their stooges counts as a source.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Wabble
Yeah okay, Trump

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 6:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Arm yourself with knowledge before you post inflammatory dribble. Heat pumps now work to -25 and then an auxiliary heat source is used. For most of our winter that heat source isn't needed. I have friends with heat pumps and they absolutely love them. The technology wasn't where it is now when I replaced my furnace a few years ago otherwise I'd be using a heat pump now too.

Neighbour up the road has geothermal and loves it too. Got any sources for your dislike of geothermal?
Uh huh, talk to anyone in the know about how well they supposedly work after 10 years and the cost to replace parts, pumps and motors!

Ask those in the industry how many commercial clients are still putting in geothermal!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 4:03 PM

Previous government's P3 model for building schools being reviewed:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ools-1.7017179

From what some posters have written, this is probably a good thing, as there seem to be some long-term issues with P3's.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan