HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
That also looks to be right next to the Green Line. Is there a proposed stop at Springdale or Airport?
Springdale stop in the system plan

https://www.capmetro.org/docs/defaul...celevelmap.pdf

Stop locations are preliminary until further planning, but I'd bet on one near there.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 2:46 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Springdale stop in the system plan

https://www.capmetro.org/docs/defaul...celevelmap.pdf

Stop locations are preliminary until further planning, but I'd bet on one near there.
Thanks. So that still looks to be a <0.5mi walk to the ~800,000sf office. Totally doable.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 3:57 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
However, Texas seems to have something of a leg up on some other locations, at least based on a recent study by Blind, which anonymously surveys technologists. In that study, some 29 percent of technology professionals said that Texas was “the next Silicon Valley” and that they planned to move, versus the 36 percent who said that “Silicon Valley will always be the tech hub” (and that they’re staying). (The survey had 5,641 responses overall.)

https://insights.dice.com/2020/12/17...ajor-tech-hub/

Look at this, there were 5,641 responses from techies in CA.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...htmlview#gid=0

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 4:27 PM

I'm but a humble Uber driver living in Pflugerville and don't make more than 60k a year so my opinion doesn't count much, but after reading the ramblings on here, what constantly struck me as I think back to all the tech employees I ferried to and from the airport was our conversations on affordability with COL being a key factor why people choose Austin to live and not Palo Alto or the bay area. These are software engineers working for apple and other big tech and they were offered jobs in cali but turned their noses up because a shack there is a million dollars. Companies will have an easier time hiring here because the talent pool exists and people from out of state wouldn't mind relocating here because they can afford the American dream, in California, you cannot...or it's a LOT harder. That's why you might see a massive uptick in HQs moving here. Tik tok, tik tok, the clock is ticking...

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 7:52 PM

You can add Justin Ross' name to the list too (one of the founders of Opendoor). SF to Austin.

https://www.businessinsider.com/pand...w-york-2020-12

Last edited by N90; Dec 17, 2020 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 12:54 AM

Ooops! This company might not be around after the dust settles. https://www.kxan.com/news/business/u...in-solarwinds/

Last edited by austlar1; Dec 18, 2020 at 1:05 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidberko View Post
I'm but a humble Uber driver living in Pflugerville and don't make more than 60k a year so my opinion doesn't count much, but after reading the ramblings on here, what constantly struck me as I think back to all the tech employees I ferried to and from the airport was our conversations on affordability with COL being a key factor why people choose Austin to live and not Palo Alto or the bay area. These are software engineers working for apple and other big tech and they were offered jobs in cali but turned their noses up because a shack there is a million dollars. Companies will have an easier time hiring here because the talent pool exists and people from out of state wouldn't mind relocating here because they can afford the American dream, in California, you cannot...or it's a LOT harder. That's why you might see a massive uptick in HQs moving here. Tik tok, tik tok, the clock is ticking...
Regardless of whether or not Silicon Valley has a huge massing of tech or the cost of living is higher or whatever, it just isn't a super desirable place to live IMHO. Every time I've been out there for a business trip I have thought to myself "I don't get why people want to live here". It's mostly suburban sprawl full of strip malls and, in and of itself, uninteresting. It's nice that you can go to San Francisco or Napa Valley or whatnot on the weekends, but I prefer to live IN a place that's desirable, not somewhat near other desirable places I have to travel to.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Regardless of whether or not Silicon Valley has a huge massing of tech or the cost of living is higher or whatever, it just isn't a super desirable place to live IMHO. Every time I've been out there for a business trip I have thought to myself "I don't get why people want to live here". It's mostly suburban sprawl full of strip malls and, in and of itself, uninteresting. It's nice that you can go to San Francisco or Napa Valley or whatnot on the weekends, but I prefer to live IN a place that's desirable, not somewhat near other desirable places I have to travel to.
My experience of the South Bay/San Jose area is that it is a whole lot like Austin in terms of suburban sprawl, strip malls, traffic, etc. Austin has a nicer downtown and a more lively dining/nightlife scene, but there are overall many similarities. Silicon Valley sure beats Austin in the climate department.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
My experience of the South Bay/San Jose area is that it is a whole lot like Austin in terms of suburban sprawl, strip malls, traffic, etc. Austin has a nicer downtown and a more lively dining/nightlife scene, but there are overall many similarities. Silicon Valley sure beats Austin in the climate department.
I'm not saying that Austin doesn't have any sprawl, but it at least has a number of interesting neighborhoods that have a sense of place. In my experiences with SV, I haven't come across anything of the sort.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 10:38 PM

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/pr...car-technology

hmmm....if you were Apple, where would you manufacture these cars?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Hm, good insights! Thanks for sharing your side of it. I haven't been on the west coast so I honestly couldn't tell ya. I couldn't justify paying the exorbitant taxes to live in La La land. Even if there are some really beautiful parts of the state. Austin isn't perfect but it has a lot of natural beauty. Only thing it's missing is the ocean. I miss Florida because of that. They can keep their humidity though

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/pr...car-technology

hmmm....if you were Apple, where would you manufacture these cars?
I would normally choose a different city than my main competitor... but then, outside of CA, there’s nowhere else with more Apple infrastructure than Austin.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I would normally choose a different city than my main competitor... but then, outside of CA, there’s nowhere else with more Apple infrastructure than Austin.
There is plenty of room at Robinson Ranch next to their new campus under construction. Plus there is rail in the area.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
why? that would be a poor move strategically imo. there are several reasons industries tend to cluster

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 1:39 AM
Resident Moron

Quote:
I mean, I would want a talent base to hire from.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 1:47 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
I mean, I would want a talent base to hire from.
San Marcos is a great idea, imho, commutable from Austin and south Austin suburbs, but also commutable from San Antonio to tap into the car manufacturing expertise in their workforce. San Marcos is also relatively well positioned from a distribution standpoint.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 3:05 AM

Apple would prolly pick China or Vietnam to manufacture cars. They already do most of their manufacturing there and the costs are cheaper than in the US.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 4:45 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
Apple would prolly pick China or Vietnam to manufacture cars. They already do most of their manufacturing there and the costs are cheaper than in the US.
Truth
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 5:08 AM

Quote:
People who work in Silicon Valley don't live in Silicon Valley. They live an hour or further away, and commute every day. SV itself is not that great, like you say, but surrounding regions (Santa Cruz, Berkeley, Walnut Creek, etc.) are pretty sweet.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
Cars are a lot more expensive to ship than computers and phones. Most foreign car companies have US factories to supply the American market.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin