HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 2:00 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Using this photo as a reference, the Astra tower should top out right we’re the dark blue/purple horizon meets the Devon tower on the right side of the building. Think that’s about right?
I think if you had one or two 5 or 600 footers in the mix, it'd look spectacular. But as it is, there's too much of a height discrepancy.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
It's true. Most people don't think twice about a cities skyline. We are Uber needs about this stuff and that's ok.

Case in point. My wife and I are driving from LA to San Antonio and every time we pass a downtown (LA, PHX, Tucson, and El Paso on this trip) I'm craning my neck and pointing out different buildings and what not and my wife couldn't care less.

BTW, phoenix is starting to look much better. Good for them. Tucson was actually better than I expected
I’m the same way when we road trip to LA, San Diego or other places. Next time you’re driving through Phoenix stay on the 202 past downtown Tempe. It’s only a very minor detour, 5-7 miles or so, but the skyline in Tempe has grown tremendously and it’s a fun one to checkout in the valley as well.

I like checking out the new stuff in downtown salt lake when I’m up there as well. It’s great seeing the mountain west add density.

Last edited by locolife; Aug 2, 2021 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 5:08 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2theSKY View Post
Hmmm, any guesses who's hiding behind the name Schmoe?
I know who she is, but I'm not telling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Also just a thought, but at this point, if the Dakota Pacific is being held up because of the Hotel component I would just as soon the tower become entirely mid to upscale residential. If the hotel industry's downward investment trend is going to continue for the foreseeable future then leave it up to W. Temple and West Downtown for future hotel development when the capital for the hospitality market is in better shape. What do you think Schmoe? Is there a chance that Dakota Pacific will alter its mix some? Maybe that's too much info. for you to share...

I haven't heard that they have an plans to change it. The general sentiment is that hospitality will rebound strong, so they're just waiting. If I learn different, I'll share (if I can).

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
It's true. Most people don't think twice about a cities skyline. We are Uber needs about this stuff and that's ok.

Case in point. My wife and I are driving from LA to San Antonio and every time we pass a downtown (LA, PHX, Tucson, and El Paso on this trip) I'm craning my neck and pointing out different buildings and what not and my wife couldn't care less.

BTW, phoenix is starting to look much better. Good for them. Tucson was actually better than I expected
I live in the suburbs of Tucson. Downtown is really fun and only getting better. They is a lot of housing being put directly into downtown. The prices are insane, but it's getting people there 24/7. There are some major connectivity challenges, though. The city would be crippled without I-10. We have a light rail system that doesn't go anywhere. We also have a train that runs directly to Phoenix but it's only for freight.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 6:32 PM
Space Magi

Excellent photo update from BSL today:

In pictures: Downtown construction pushes skyward – an update

The CCH is starting to make a big impact!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 8:10 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

Good find! Here's a few more from that site:

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 8:23 PM

Forum meet-up

Atlas:

I would love to take part in the meet-up on Friday if at all possible.

By the way the water feature is on the other side of City Creek center by Nordstroms. Do we want to meet by the food court or by the water feature.
It would probably be better to meet by the water feature.
also , how will I know it is you?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 8:37 PM

Quote:

CCH looks great, I always forget how wide the streets are in downtown SLC.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 8:39 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Atlas:

I would love to take part in the meet-up on Friday if at all possible.

By the way the water feature is on the other side of City Creek center by Nordstroms. Do we want to meet by the food court or by the water feature.
It would probably be better to meet by the water feature.
also , how will I know it is you?
Sure, we can meet on that side instead. I was actually talking about the waterfall by the food court but I like the idea of meeting by the fountain on the west side. I'll edit my previous post.

I'm about 6'2" and will be wearing a gray baseball cap.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 11:08 PM

I don't think we're going to get towers above the 400' range anytime soon. The soil, lack of accessible bedrock, and seismic issues are pretty substantial cost factors, and the only way to overcome them is with outrageously valued real estate and commensurately high paying industries to make the value proposition-to-risk equation viable for developers.

From the residential perspective, we've just crossed the threshold for rent per square foot that makes the high rises we're getting viable, but Utah developers still aren't getting in line to take those risks, with the unusual exception being Liberty Sky from Cowboy Partners, which was mitigated by construction method and project partners. Combined with recent events, I don't expect Utah developers to embrace this tower phase of the cycle. And even with out of state developers, I'm not sure the debt financing is open to risk like it was before 2020.

I'm okay with minimally varied skylines from a height perspective, which is to say, I'm okay with not having a 600'+ tower. But I'm not a proponent of our current zoning intent of keeping the tallest buildings on the corners of D-1 and some transect style descent in height outward from the CBD. And I think the max height drop from 375' to 100'-125' in the various downtown zones is too limiting. In lieu of 300-400' towers, I think there's more opportunity for 240-125' buldings along the outskirts of the CBD and out through East Central, and that would help with the skyline variety as much as going taller in the downtown core.

The boxy, SketchUp Modern style of the residential towers makes sense for cost control in an emerging premium market, and if the market had the juice to keep going in this direction for another 10 years, we might begin to see better tower design as a means of market differentiation, but we're gonna have to wait for the next cycle for something like that, I think. Back in 2019, I proposed a design scheme for a downtown tower that wasn't just simple stacked boxes and everyone laughed. We're definitely nowhere near getting Amazon or Google level architectural design.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 11:09 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post

This view really illustrates the impact of the CCH on our fugly mid-CBD gap-tooth. It will be 6 stories taller than the 222 Main bldg on the right and much closer to the viewer from I-15. It will fill in that gap and perhaps have a bigger impact on our skyline than any other recent tower. Its impact from that angle will appear to be equivalent or possibly larger than the Wells Fargo tower.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 11:33 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
When I see these projections of the skyline, I can't help but get stuck on how damn boxy it looks. It's really ugly, even with these proposals. Reminds me of the cities I built when I was a kid using those block toys.
You're cracking me up Comrade!

I agree with you on the height. The table top affect is not normal or appealing. Five hundred to six hundred feet+ is achievable in Salt Lake. We also have the $250k waiting for you.

I read that several architects agree that a building is not really a skyscraper unless it is 492 feet of 150 meters. By that definition, we haven't made it, and are still in the amateur leagues.

I am all for infill and midsized buildings. The 150'-250' size projects around Central City and other outlying areas would be impactful, but some taller buildings in the CBD will make the city more cosmopolitan.

Has the meetup happened already?

Last edited by Ironweed; Aug 2, 2021 at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
This view really illustrates the impact of the CCH on our fugly mid-CBD gap-tooth. It will be 6 stories taller than the 222 Main bldg on the right and much closer to the viewer from I-15. It will fill in that gap and perhaps have a bigger impact on our skyline than any other recent tower. Its impact from that angle will appear to be equivalent or possibly larger than the Wells Fargo tower.
Saying it will be 6 stories taller than 222 is misleading. Total height will be about 20 feet taller

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 1:43 AM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Has the meetup happened already?
Not yet:

Friday, August 6th at 5:30pm. Meet at City Creek by the fountain in the western plaza. Would love to see you all there!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
I think if you had one or two 5 or 600 footers in the mix, it'd look spectacular. But as it is, there's too much of a height discrepancy.
Exactly. Gotta think long-term with it.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 3:35 AM

I'll try to be there.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 2:52 PM

I'll do my best to be there, I don't think I have any conflicts. Beyond a boyfriend who will want to come but also be sighing and rolling his eyes at architecture and urban planning talk.

Which makes me want to be there MORE.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 2:55 PM

I will try to be there as well.

Quote:
Ha nice. Was that open to the public, did you have to sneak up there, or did you have someone take you up?
Someone from the forum knew somebody with access to the roof. I still have pictures.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 7:07 PM

Sapa - 722 S & 730 S Consolidation

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Subdivision and Condominium - Consolidation

Some document movement on the Sapa building on State Street.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 9:37 PM

Berkadia 2Q2021 Multifamily Housing Report

https://www.berkadia.com/research-an...ipeline-report
PDF Link: https://www.berkadia.com/wp-content/...ine-Report.pdf

Berkadia 2Q2021 Multifamily Housing Report. Tracks multifamily housing projects in Utah, Salt Lake, Davis, Weber, & Cache Counties. Q2 identified over 43,000 residential units that are either 'lease-up', 'under construction', 'planned', or 'prospective' in the region.

While I find Berkadia reports interesting, they also often include mistakes and inaccuracies, so keep that in mind.

Non-SLC locations

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West