HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatscat View Post
Observation: It feels like many infrastructure projects, at least on the peninsula, are at a standstill. Observing their state, I feel like they all seem to be stuck waiting for concrete?

Examples: Joe Howe, the MUP extension at Bayers/Bridge, Liverpool street. Been in half-finished states for weeks. Joe Howe is still getting plenty of work but the pedestrian refuse seems to have been done for awhile without any pouring happening.

I know nothing of the process but that's my uneducated view
Same with Massachusetts Ave and Lady Hammond Rd. They're finally paving Massachusetts Ave, but they were supposed to replace the curbing and the concrete median and there not now.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 3:10 PM

Various U/C and recent projects in the Almon St area:

Last edited by Hali87; Nov 4, 2022 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 12:07 PM

Not really a surprise given how poorly the Province does PM on its buildings, but the Law Courts parking garage that serves as the base for the court building itself has been closed to the public due to structural decay:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...king-1.6640458

Probably the best thing that could happen would be for the building to start falling into the garage. It really is a poor location for that use.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Not really a surprise given how poorly the Province does PM on its buildings, but the Law Courts parking garage that serves as the base for the court building itself has been closed to the public due to structural decay:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...king-1.6640458

Probably the best thing that could happen would be for the building to start falling into the garage. It really is a poor location for that use.
I'm sure it seemed like a good idea in the early 1970s, but, yeah, this is one of the properties where demolition would yield the largest improvement to the waterfront, IMHO.

I recall the lot at the corner of Sackville and Lower Water was being discussed as a replacement for the law courts, but presumably that fell through the cracks?

It will be interesting to see what happens here, but I suspect they will have no choice but to spend big money on repairs, without an exit plan in place.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I recall the lot at the corner of Sackville and Lower Water was being discussed as a replacement for the law courts, but presumably that fell through the cracks?
I see what you did there...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
LANCASTER RIDGE - There is a rendering on site. I'll get a photo of it when I can access the church parking lot.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)
LANCASTER VILLAS - LANCASTER DRIVE, DARTMOUTH

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 12:16 AM
Salty Town

Shannon Park would be an ideal location.

North American Innovation Hub:
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...ddfeeaca3f0b23

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Shannon Park would be an ideal location.

North American Innovation Hub:
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...ddfeeaca3f0b23

DND has an un-used property and wharf next to the MacDonald Bridge, that is down the road from DREA, and across the narrows from the shipyard and HMC dockyard

And there’s Shearwater

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 8:04 PM
Cap the Cut!

I was walking by so.... a nice addition to the neighbourhood.

20221119_150442 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 8:10 PM
Cap the Cut!

This reno/addition is on Russel St. behind Point North. It looks nice but I'm not sure what is the purpose of the addition. The lack of windows and the height of it suggest that it's not residential.

20221119_150843_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20221119_150922_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 8:17 PM
Cap the Cut!

i think this is a completly new structure rather than a reno on Acadia St. just off of Vestry St. in the north end. It's quite a departure from the typical street venacular and is perhaps a sign of things to come? The fifth story is a small structure that opens to a large rooftop patio. It will have a nice harbour/basin/narrows view.

20221119_144831_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20221119_144925_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20221119_144941_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 8:33 PM
Cap the Cut!

This law office project in the Hydrostone area is nearing exterior cladding completon. It's certainly nothing special to look at though better looking than it once was. The entrance seems somehow lacking in that it's not (yet) terribly obvious. I'm hoping that they can fit a tree or two in their parking lot.

20221119_145915_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20221119_145941_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20221119_145954_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
This reno/addition is on Russel St. behind Point North. It looks nice but I'm not sure what is the purpose of the addition. The lack of windows and the height of it suggest that it's not residential.

20221119_150843_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20221119_150922_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

It’s a sound studio

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 3:23 AM

Tramway building renos:

Source

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 11:37 AM

Great shots. It's cool to see the street level concrete detail, that was hidden under the brickwork, seeing the light of day again.

On another note, I'm sure they know what they're doing, but their method of leveling up the crane makes me cringe a little...

I was wondering if Obladee was still open, but I see by their facebook page that they are still actively posting. I assume at some point they will have to move, as I think (IIRC) the plan is to gut the building and add floors to the top?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 11:47 AM

I guess that there is actually a war on cars. New article from CBC mentions Halifax.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/evs...ttis-1.6654675

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerville View Post
I guess that there is actually a war on cars. New article from CBC mentions Halifax.

Told you so.

I have never seen a Pittis article that I have agreed with and this is no exception.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Told you so.

I have never seen a Pittis article that I have agreed with and this is no exception.
Sounds like the interviewee found his niche in life:
Quote:
"I fundamentally do not believe that Canadian cities will materially change within my lifetime, which is exactly why we gave up on Canada," said Slaughter in our exchange last week. "That's literally why our family left Canada to live in the Netherlands, permanently."
The author talks about the move like it's some kind of tragic failure on Canada's part, but in reality many people move away from Canada to other countries that are a better fit for their lifestyle choices/preferences. Likewise, many more people move to Canada from other countries because it's a great place to live.

A win-win as i see it.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerville View Post

"And in Halifax, turning itself into a relatively compact, walkable, climate-friendly city and shunning sprawl has become embedded in all planning decisions right up to the mayor's office.

"Our city is committed to economically and environmentally sustainable growth," said Halifax Mayor Mike Savage last week in an email. And it's not just hot air, outside experts like Gordon say Savage has been making it happen."

There is simply no way to reconcile this quote with the City's planning decisions over the past 20 years. Instead of development, HRM prioritized height limits, view planes, a Byzantine development approval process, and obstructionism in the guise of community councils and special interest groups. Most of those obstacles remain in place. Some of them have been enshrined into the planning process.

Similarly, the lack of progress in modernizing transit and Halifax Transit's inability to ensure consistent service has cast a pall over transit as an alternative. Simple example: what incentive is there for a family of four with a dog to surrender their climate-controlled vehicle for a bus? What is HRM offering that is better? There are *hundreds* of anecdotal stories online about people taking *hours* to get to locations by bus that would take minutes for cars.

If the objective was to reduce or remove cars from the urban core, then anti-car proponents - who have controlled HRM policy for more than a decade now - have done little to actually make it happen.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTG_78 View Post
If the objective was to reduce or remove cars from the urban core, then anti-car proponents - who have controlled HRM policy for more than a decade now - have done little to actually make it happen.
Agreed. We has to be more protected bike infrastructure, better sidewalks and more transit lanes now. Council needs to be better and stop kowtowing to drivers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth