HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 8:10 AM
heavy user of walkability

these are from a couple weeks ago, but just a reminder of the massive series of projects (example, example) underway to upgrade the wastewater treatment facilities in the City

the Traffic Company and Forensic Services Division facility looks to be almost complete

hard to tell how active phase 2 of Rebuild Potrero is from a distance, but on their website they note PGE work around the site, so seems to be progressing:

glad to see our friendly piece of street art back out from under its protective cover (a bit worse for wear over the years - wonder if the artist is still around to touch up?) now that the construction of the project at 1140 Harrison has wrapped up

Van Ness construction is moving along - note this is South Van Ness

Van Ness at Market

seems odd that Trinity Place is not open yet

the supportive housing next to the courthouse on Mission

Fourth St near Folsom

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
seems odd that Trinity Place is not open yet

I still haven’t stood at that corner since Trinity was completed, but man, that thing is a serious hulking mass. Does it feel so damn massive in person, or does what’s left of the not-value-engineered-away cantilevers and whatnot break that up a bit?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 7:00 PM

I'm glad for the density and number of rental units at Trinity Place, but the materials look really cheap and ugly.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitty View Post
Does it feel so damn massive in person
Yes.

But on this part of Market St. that's not a bad thing. The long-term trashy street scene needs to be overwhelmed by the maximum number of working middle class residents coming and going.

My one concern about this project is that I like The Market in the Twitter building up the street and I hope the new Whole Foods in Trinity Place doesn't put them out of business.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 7:31 PM

Quote:
VAN NESS IMPROVEMENT PROJECT

Beginning tomorrow morning, Wednesday, August 4, at 6 a.m., the S. Van Ness Avenue and Mission Street intersection is scheduled to be closed for five days, expected to reopen at 6 a.m. on Monday, August 9. By closing the full intersection for five days, the team can complete work in the intersection that would normally require two months of work completed one segment at a time. The goal is to minimize inconvenience for the public. This closure will impact people driving, taking transit and walking in SoMa, Tenderloin, Civic Center, Hayes Valley, Downtown and Inner Mission.

People who travel in the area are encouraged to “Scout Your Route” before the shutdown and plan their travel accordingly. The project website details the available detours and provides additional information for motorists. While pedestrian access will be maintained at all times, people walking should consider bypassing the area.

Muni routes 14 Mission, 14R Mission Rapid, 49 Van Ness-Mission, 90 San Bruno Owl and 91 3rd-19th Ave Owl and AC Transit Route 800 will be rerouted and some bus stops will be relocated. Muni Metro and BART service will not be affected.

Thank you to all the residents and travelers who have remained patient through the traffic reroutes, dust and noise! We appreciate your support and are excited to welcome you on to the new BRT in early 2022.
SFMTA notice

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
SFMTA notice
that's great they're going to just make one big push to get whatever done there they need to, but I hope there was a notice sent out with a bit more lead-time than this too!! otherwise it's: 'scout your route, but do it by the end of today'

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 11:44 AM

8/4/2021 - Trinity Place IV view at night. I noticed for the first time that the Trinity Place sign is up and lit. I find it odd the way the sign letters are sideways. I also notice two signs at street level lit, one is probably the Whole Foods sign. The lights in the upper right area is the tree-like sculpture on a patio lit at night. I do see some apartments with furniture lit all night - I think they are models.

Notice the trees in front of TP IV. A bunch of mature sycamore were cut down & replaced with about half sycamore and some other type.

Trinity Place IV San Francisco

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 1:44 AM

Wandered down to the S. Van Ness/Mission construction site for the Van Ness BRT today and took a couple of snaps. You can't see much but:

Seems like they have torn up large sections of the pavement and are repaving but it wasn't obvious to me why.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 9:18 PM

go Hub

it will be nice to see that intersection looking orderly and spiffy, to go along with its two new buildings. really good to see the Hub getting the attention it has needed and deserved for so long

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 8:09 PM

Quote:
it will be nice to see that intersection looking orderly and spiffy, to go along with its two new buildings. really good to see the Hub getting the attention it has needed and deserved for so long
I went down there to take some pictures of the completed project but frankly it didn't look different enough to me to bother. The had strung Muni overhead wires so electric 47 trolleys can turn left at Mission but that's about all I noticed.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Renderings Revealed For SOM-Design American Buddhist Cultural Society, San Francisco
BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:00 AM ON AUGUST 23, 2021

New renderings have been revealed for the proposed six-story home of the American Buddhist Cultural Society at 1750 Van Ness Avenue in Nob Hill, San Francisco. The institution first revealed the project in 2016 after a preliminary project assessment filing. A public hearing is to be held Thursday, September 9th, during which the city’s Planning Commission could approve the project for CEQA and push the religious facility closer to construction.

The internationally renowned Skidmore Owings & Merrill is the architect. Renderings show the project clad with limestone, terracotta, and bamboo laminated glass. Details about the project reflect the characteristic nuance and detail that SOM has developed over the decades. The mid-block air well providing fresh air and light into the ground-level teahouse and galleries is reminiscent of the shophouse, a building type found in Taiwan, South China, and across Southeast Asia.

The 76-foot tall structure will replace the existing 10,750 square foot religious building with 40,520 square feet, including a 1,190 square foot street-level bookstore. The lower three floors will center around a 2,400 square foot dining hall and the double-height main shrine hall with capacity for 220 occupants, overlooked by a glass-wrapped meditation room. An educational center will be established inside the temple with four classrooms and an auditorium.

The top three floors will contain thirty studio dorm rooms for a monastic dormitory. Each floor includes a laundry room and lounge. More facilities in the building will consist of a light-filled gallery, teahouse, kitchen, and ground-level garden.

The American Buddhist Cultural Society is a nonprofit organization chartered for the San Bao Temple. The organization was founded by Venerable Master Hsing Yun in 1967 and moved to the east Van Ness location in 1989. City records show the property sold that year for $2.4 million.

The property is located between Clay and Sacramento Street . . . .

https://sfyimby.com/2021/08/renderin...francisco.html

One could wish it were taller consistent with the growing 12-13 story street wall along Van Ness, but otherwise the building is very interesting.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 8:38 PM
Build Baby Build

The main shrine seems secluded and without natural light for all but a blip of time. I also just know those classrooms are going to be empty 90% of the time. That spot would be a better place for the main shrine, with the statue's back towards Van Ness for people to watch the sunrise.

Also to be nitpicky, those bamboo are not going to get enough light to grow that big, the sun will only be directly overhead for about 20 minutes a day in the summertime.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 9:06 PM

Quote:
One could wish it were taller consistent with the growing 12-13 story street wall along Van Ness, but otherwise the building is very interesting.
My recollection is that the church just to the north was complaining about loss of light to their (stained glass?) windows. I assume that explains the cut out for the terrace.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
My recollection is that the church just to the north was complaining about loss of light to their (stained glass?) windows. I assume that explains the cut out for the terrace.
Yes, pseudolus, your memory serves you very well. The church put the brakes on the original plans. The Buddhist group thought that they could shoe-horn their building without any problem. Looks like the group is planning on a lot of monks!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 11:03 PM

^^Seems like one religion vs another. I'm not sure how that works in mostly humanist SF (at the Planning Commission).

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 1:51 AM

went by Hope SF Potrero yesterday. not too much on the actual housing construction front...

but 26th St on its south side is getting some sort of makeover (including a fancy new concrete barrier toward the bottom. maybe its form means that the slope will flatten in the middle where the new mid-block perpendicular street will meet it)

as seen from the bottom, looking west

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 9:20 PM

Quote:
I went down there to take some pictures of the completed project but frankly it didn't look different enough to me to bother. The had strung Muni overhead wires so electric 47 trolleys can turn left at Mission but that's about all I noticed.
this is looking promising, though:

https://twitter.com/jeffreytumlin/st...829588/photo/1

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 5:29 AM
你的媽媽

Nice higher up view of the Van Ness construction with the skyline in the background.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sanfrancisc...get_a_new_van/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 5:54 AM

Quote:
this is looking promising, though:
They’ve already planted quite a few trees--London Plane, though, not Eucalyptus like these--but a fair number of them already look dead (totally brown leaves). I’m not sure if they will revive or not—they do appear to be watering them some.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Aug 26, 2021 at 7:38 AM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 3:11 AM

A proposal for a new residential Tower to go up on Folsom Street .

Quote:
A 1922 office building on Folsom Street in San Francisco could make way for a $250 million residential high-rise with more than 600 units.

The new tower would rise 58 stories on a rectangular parcel at 620 Folsom St., between Second and Hawthorne streets
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ate=2021-08-26

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations