HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 5:49 PM

buy a house backing onto a strip mall and you are complaining about single story stores going up. yikes, why does that even need news coverage

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 6:43 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Nothing says NYMBY better that complaining that you will for ever loose your view out the back window of....a massive parking lot.
I own a condo across the street from this. It’ll add some amenities although I must say I find dollarama’s présence offensive. Like they couldn’t come up with a better tenant than that??

Overall it’s okay, I hope they can bring in a decent coffee shop and maybe have a lounge/sports bar type place
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 6:53 PM

one of the shops is a DQ Grill & Chill, which will be hugely popular with all the families in the area

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I own a condo across the street from this. It’ll add some amenities although I must say I find dollarama’s présence offensive. Like they couldn’t come up with a better tenant than that??
For a suburban strip mall? You were expecting a Louis Vuitton boutique?

Strip malls like that were made for Dollarama... I live not too far from one and I find it to be a handy stop. Helps me avoid going to truly inconvenient big box stores like Walmart, Canadian Tire, etc.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 7:04 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Strip malls like that were made for Dollarama... I live not too far from one and I find it to be a handy stop. Helps me avoid going to truly inconvenient big box stores like Walmart, Canadian Tire, etc.
People would go for sure, I just don’t like dollarama, don’t care for the branding or products because of the cheaply made products these ones truly are the worst lmao. A gas station and convenience store would be used by a lot of people too. I think people would happily go for that.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 7:07 PM

^ The branding is garish, but the products are not bad value for the money IMO. I mean, for clothes hangers, plastic storage stuff, random food odds and sods like salt, canned vegetables, etc., stationery, party stuff, it's fine. It obviously serves a need given how much they are proliferating.

I would think that a Dollarama that closes at 9 pm is probably going to be quieter, less noticeable and obnoxious than a gas station/convenience store that will most likely be open late and brightly lit.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 7:30 PM

Idk if kids are allowed to leave school during lunch anymore, but in terms of getting snacks and sweets Dollarama has always provided best bang for buck. There’s like 3 schools within a 10 minute walk, and pair that with all the apartments nearby it’s quite convenient for a lot of people. God I wish I had a dollar store near me when I was in middle or high school.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 2:34 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
^ The branding is garish, but the products are not bad value for the money IMO. I mean, for clothes hangers, plastic storage stuff, random food odds and sods like salt, canned vegetables, etc., stationery, party stuff, it's fine. It obviously serves a need given how much they are proliferating.

I would think that a Dollarama that closes at 9 pm is probably going to be quieter, less noticeable and obnoxious than a gas station/convenience store that will most likely be open late and brightly lit.
Meh, already loud af at night on the corner.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 3:02 PM

Re Resident opposes Dollarama building a new store.

1. The changes to the retail zoned property at most directly affect six properties as seen here. Google Map

2. The outspoken resident seems to be concerns over activity in the parking lot yet the new building will effective act as a buffer from that same activity as it will essentially be a 10 foot fence near the property line.

If someone could it would be nice to see the zoning variance links they are objecting to.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 4:02 PM

Quote:

Louis Vuitton boutique..funny...that would be nice..
Never here..Winnipeg can barely afford a scaled down Bay store.Lost the downtown one..All the others are still scaling down too.more pop ups, some in Canada will ad Zellers...Frugal cheapskates ? Call Winnipeggers what you will, we are barely supporting end of run Saks off 5th clearance store.
At one time Nordstroms was interested to come here while Sears was still going in Polo Park..as far back as 2011....
Even "Simons" ept store is in no longer in any rush to open here yet they are in B.C. Alberta, Ontario for many years now & of course where they originate from Quebec..
Holt-Renfrew existed here from 1911 - 2013.
We are a sea of Mal-Wart, Costco, Dollarama, Dollar Tree and high end for here is Marshalls & Winners at best.

Last edited by BAKGUY; Aug 31, 2022 at 9:01 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 4:43 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Louis Vuitton boutique..funny...that would be nice..Never here..Winnipeg can barely afford a scaled down Bay store.Lost the downtown one..All the others are still scaling down too.more pop ups, some in Canada will ad Zellers...Frugal cheapskates ? Call Winnipeggers what you will, we are barely supporting end of run Saks off 5th clearance store.
At one time Nordstroms was interested to come here while Sears was still going in Polo Park..as far back as 2011....
Even "Simons" ept store is in no longer in any rush to open here yet they are in B.C. Alberta, Ontario for many years now & of course where they originate from Quebec..
We are a sea of Mal-Wart, Costco and high end for here is Marshalls & Winners at best.
Ooooooof

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post

Ooooooof
What do people expect Winnipeg is not a wealthy city with a plethora of corporate head offices.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Louis Vuitton boutique..funny...that would be nice..Never here..Winnipeg can barely afford a scaled down Bay store.Lost the downtown one..All the others are still scaling down too.more pop ups, some in Canada will ad Zellers...Frugal cheapskates ? Call Winnipeggers what you will, we are barely supporting end of run Saks off 5th clearance store.
We are a sea of Mal-Wart, Costco and high end for here is Marshalls & Winners at best.
Yes because having materialistic desires for brands that sell clothes $400 overpriced is exactly what we need here.

Nobody shops at LV because their clothing is nice. If you want nice clothing you can go thrifting or H&M for a fraction of the cost. All these luxury brands like Gucci, Versace etc… are just symbols of social status and only serve 0.1% of the population. In fact at this point you can buy the Chinese knock offs of such products and barely notice any difference in quality.

Btw it’s not like these luxury stores are actually busy. Most of the time there’s just the security guard and 2-3 people at most at the store. The only luxury store in Canada that gets serious retail traffic is Holt Renfrew and maybe Simons.

From my experience with relatives in larger cities it develops into a larger problem of always trying to have the best clothes, cars, and spend exorbitant amounts of money for things that don’t really matter at the end of the day. It’s just the wealthy version of being in the rat race.

Even if we want too talk about high end fashion in Winnipeg it’s not like it’s nonexistent. Especially for winter clothing there’s not many places you’d be able to find higher quality parkas. I mean consider how many people you personally know that have a Canada Goose jacket which by all accounts is a luxury brand.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Call Winnipeggers what you will, we are barely supporting end of run Saks off 5th clearance store.
Although I haven't been to a Saks Off 5th yet, I was under the impression that it did not carry "Hudson's Bay" clearance merchandise, but carried a collection of lower quality goods made exclusively for "Saks Off 5th" like most other factory outlet stores.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 5:57 PM

You can easily buy luxury clothes right from the brand’s website. More choice/selection and no running around 👍. Even shopping at The Bay is easier on-line…if the Winnipeg store doesn’t have the item you’re looking for, they can send it from a store that does.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 8:15 PM

The state of high end retail in Winnipeg is pretty terrible (especially for men) - though I suspect it reflects what the City can afford. Apart from Danali, Hanford, Club Monaco and the Bay there aren’t a lot of options in Winnipeg. I’ve definitely resorted to online shopping a lot more recently.

I completely disagree that if you want nice clothing you can just turn to fast fashion brands. They are not the same and “overpriced” is a matter of opinion.

Canada Goose doesn’t even have a brick and mortar presence in Winnipeg.

Personally, I’d like Winnipeg to get a Holt Renfrew but what I’d really like are more independent stores like Danali that carry brands in that middle tier of clothing - not name brand luxury (Gucci, LV, etc.) but still high quality. It’d be nice to have one in OV and the Exchange.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 8:22 PM

In some respects, Winnipeg has full access to luxury retail just like everywhere else... i.e., you can get practically all of it online. The lack of physical luxury retail storefronts is irrelevant if all you're interested in is buying this stuff.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
Although I haven't been to a Saks Off 5th yet, I was under the impression that it did not carry "Hudson's Bay" clearance merchandise, but carried a collection of lower quality goods made exclusively for "Saks Off 5th" like most other factory outlet stores.
Some lines are clearance from Saks full line dept stores, some are made for the Off 5th brand.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
The state of high end retail in Winnipeg is pretty terrible (especially for men) - though I suspect it reflects what the City can afford. Apart from Danali, Hanford, Club Monaco and the Bay there aren’t a lot of options in Winnipeg. I’ve definitely resorted to online shopping a lot more recently.

I completely disagree that if you want nice clothing you can just turn to fast fashion brands. They are not the same and “overpriced” is a matter of opinion.

Canada Goose doesn’t even have a brick and mortar presence in Winnipeg.

Personally, I’d like Winnipeg to get a Holt Renfrew but what I’d really like are more independent stores like Danali that carry brands in that middle tier of clothing - not name brand luxury (Gucci, LV, etc.) but still high quality. It’d be nice to have one in OV and the Exchange.
Holt-Renfrew existed here from 1911 - 2013.
They gave it all they could.
I contacted them a few years ago making quite the pitch to them & they have 0 interest returning.
It just would be a nice option to have somewhere to once in a blue moon to treat yourself to a nicely made clothing item.
Women have a bit more variety with the shops scattered here and there and a few on Academy Road.
For men there is little to select from.
Online shopping does not work for everyone.
Some people are tougher to fit.
Just like cycling to the forks does not work for everyone either.
Not everyone or age group fits neatly into one box.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 9:14 PM

Harry Rosen

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan