HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
Also Glam Bar Bazaar Is Coming To Polo Park
Nothing on north Main but someone is driving concrete piles for something on the Portage Ave site.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 1:55 PM

When I went down yesterday to use the City Place food court ATM I saw that long time tenant Manchu Wok has closed.

The Bayleaf Bistro is also closed down and their food court location is up for rent.

I wonder if the property manger will be able to find replacements for the food court with the work at home change in office occupancy reducing customers in the food court?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 3:52 PM

That food court was pretty busy once restrictions started to ease. Bayleaf didn't seem to fit any particular theme other than 'lunch food' whereas you had a Thai place and a Mexican place right there, plus the McDonald's, Timmies, and Pizza joint, then the old school Asian places (Indian, Chinese, and Japanese).
I wouldn't read too much into this.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 9:27 PM

Something Going On Two Former Stores in St Vital Centre Next To Bootlegger and Ecko Unltd

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
Something Going On Two Former Stores in St Vital Centre Next To Bootlegger and Ecko Unltd
I will say, the last time I was at St Vital, it felt like it has a bit of new momentum with storefronts filling in. Still has a ways to go, but it seems to be getting its footing back. All it would take is one huge closure to knock it back down again, though.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 6:49 PM

I took a stroll through Portage Place today... it looks like it is now fully transitioning from "distressed mall" to "abandoned mall" status. It's getting to the point where there will soon be more units vacant than occupied.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I took a stroll through Portage Place today... it looks like it is now fully transitioning from "distressed mall" to "abandoned mall" status. It's getting to the point where there will soon be more units vacant than occupied.
Sad, but maybe it's needed to add some urgency to redeveloping the place (if there was urgency lacking in the first place).

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 8:40 PM

Quote:
The redevelopment of the Moorhead mall in Moorhead MN is a good model i think that would be better for portage place to model a reno on. http://www.valleynewslive.com/2022/0...town-moorhead/

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 9:12 PM

^ Wow, Moorhead is going big. Good for them, looks like it could be a great project.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 9:18 PM

I like it its chunked out in bite size pieces which I think is a better model to get portage place to work instead of another downtown Winnipeg mega project

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 9:22 PM

Would it be more economical to attempt to "repurpose" and remodel Portage Place, or to just tear the whole thing down and start again? Imagine if the street grid was restored and each block was sold to a different developer.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 9:24 PM

I would prefer if it was a complete restart from scratch make it a mix of condos grocery store some art house and maybe some farmers plaza to break it up in chunks Winnipeg needs to learn how to master smaller projects not huge ones

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I would prefer if it was a complete restart from scratch make it a mix of condos grocery store some art house and maybe some farmers plaza to break it up in chunks Winnipeg needs to learn how to master smaller projects not huge ones
Now that's an understatement.

Imagine one of the blocks being divided up into small chunks, like 50 foot lots. Or maybe even 40. Let small operations get a crack at building something downtown.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 9:33 PM

Quote:

Imagine one of the blocks being divided up into small chunks, like 50 foot lots. Or maybe even 40. Let small operations get a crack at building something downtown.
Exactly

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:

To add on your point it would be great if the other massive surface lots through Downtown were able to get lot splits as well. I think the block sized projects just aren’t feasible in a city like Winnipeg where the capital isn’t there for massive highrises in which a whole block is required to construct. Splitting the lots and getting midrises anywhere from 3-15 stories will do wonders for the core.

Back to Portage Place it’s time to tear that sucker down and make sure Edmonton St is reconnected to the grid (preferably as an AT only route through the site). Maybe do the same thing with Kennedy. Either way PP could easily fit 1,000 people on the lots footprint.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 10:37 PM

Regina and Fargo/Moorhead seem to get it right with small business devlopment instead of the Winnipeg mega project approach. Some features of the new Moorhead mall devlopment:

https://www.inforum.com/news/downtow...ext-five-years

MOORHEAD — Redevelopment plans for the 16-acre site mostly occupied by the Moorhead Center Mall and parking lots call for turning it into nine city blocks of apartments, townhomes and condos, shops, restaurants and parking.

The Downtown Moorhead Development was announced Thursday, Aug. 11, at the Hjemkomst center by development partners Roers, JLG Architects, Stantec, Downtown Moorhead Inc. and the city of Moorhead.

As envisioned, the development plan created by Roers would revitalize the downtown area by creating more than 1,200 living spaces, over 100 retail and dining spots and 2,000 parking spaces over the next five years.

Demolition and construction on the east side of the property — which is mostly parking lot — and west side of the mall — the old Herberger's store and attached parking ramp — could start as soon as fall 2023, said Jim Roers, president of Fargo-based development firm Roers.

Roers said initial talks with the area's biggest developers have gotten a positive response, with some already pointing to areas they are interested in developing

The plan would revitalize downtown, and the investment could increase the property value of the site from $20 million into $200-250 million when completed, City Manager Dan Mahli said

"This is a super exciting time for Moorhead," Mahli said. "I think a lot of people are expecting and wanting what we're talking about here. Moorhead is just very strong right now and ready."

Phase I of the project would involve demolition and construction on the east side of the mall. Phase II would add new buildings to the south side of the mall. For now, the central part of the mall will stay, and tenants can do business there until later phases in the development of the property, Roers said.

Center Mall tenants were told of the vision for the property earlier this week, Roers spokeswoman Heidi Knutson said.

Roers now owns nearly 90% of the mall, which was created as a condominium enterprise, with businesses owning their own spaces. The city owns the City Hall building, 500 Center Ave., which will remain in the development as planned. The city also owns the halls, bathrooms, parking lots and parking ramp of the mall.

"This is our time to be bold," Mayor Shelly Carlson said. "This project has been in the works quite a while."

The Moorhead Center Mall was opened in 1973, she said.

"It's kind of time ... for a huge kind of complete redo and restart. It's really Moorhead's time to really shine," Carlson said.

Redevelopment could get a tremendous catalyst if voters approve a half-cent sales tax to create a new community center and regional library that could be located on the site, she continued.

"That's really going to jump-start this whole project," Carlson said.

The mall was "pretty cool and innovative" when it first opened, "but its time has come to be turned over to something different and something new," Carlson said.

She said it has not yet been determined if the city offices will remain in the current building over the long term

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 1:02 PM

not Winnipeg retails specific, but Canada.

"Canadian department store Zellers hopes to make a comeback next year, a decade after the discount chain shuttered most of its locations.

Hudson’s Bay Co. said Zellers will debut a new e-commerce website and expand its brick-and-mortar footprint within select Hudson’s Bay department stores across the country in early 2023.

The company said the relaunched Zellers will offer “a digital-first shopping journey that taps into the nostalgia of the brand.”"

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 1:29 PM

^ Feels like HBC is throwing everything at the wall now, hoping something will stick.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
1. A full-scale, downtown grocery store operated by a national chain will never happen in Winnipeg. Even before the pandemic heavily accelerated on-line grocery shopping with local fulfillment and delivery to your door it wasn't going to happen. The cost of real estate downtown is a big factor, add in the razor thin margins in the grocery segment and the above industry average shrink (theft, etc) rate of a downtown location. It doesn't take much time in analysis to quickly see it is a money loser from the start and people that own these stores aren't rich because they knowingly open new business the run at a loss.

2. There is a reason no where in Winnipeg has a year round farmers market. Local produce is essential in season for about 3 months out of the year, that's it. Building a dedicated market space or plaza isn't going to change the weather locally to extend the growing season. Even in Phoenix where they have a much longer growing season the farmers market operates only on set days, not every day, all year long.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 3:05 PM

Quote:
The now withdrawn Starlight plan for Portage Place was to essentially end retail as it has been in the mall. That likely lead to letting leases go month to month or completely cancelling them. Add in the extended effects of the pandemic and the overall retail downtown and it is easy to see why vacancy at Portage Place is climbing up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan