HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 8:46 PM

Eh I am not sure I support forcing development where the market might not demand it. If they didn't see a need for ground floor retail you will either see empty store fronts there, or continue to see them up and down Canal.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Here in Mid-City, the shopping center that was formerly a Home Depot is moving quickly with the CVS having just opened. The three smaller buildings are probably a month or two from being completed and work on the larger building in the back is ongoing. I've noticed another building across the street from this (in the 500 Block of N. Carrollton) and don't remember hearing anything about it. Does anyone know what's going in there? Or in any of the other buildings for that matter - I've heard Wingstop and possibly a Petco, but that still leaves three spaces.
500 block of N. Carrollton is going to be a Mattress Firm. Having a business a block away, not my first choice :-/ But oh well.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post
500 block of N. Carrollton is going to be a Mattress Firm. Having a business a block away, not my first choice :-/ But oh well.
Not very glamorous, but hey, pretty much everyone needs a mattress.

Regarding Canal Crossing, there are some building requirements I could do without (parking minimums, for example, especially as the city densifies). However I do think that retail at that site is in everyone's best interest. As the area develops, there could easily be several thousand new residents within an area of a few blocks. Those people are going to need places to eat, shop, and run errands, even if the demand isn't quite there yet. Plus retail helps to make Canal into more of a shopping and entertainment district as it used to be. 1031 Canal, for example is including a large portion of retail and I think it will be great for that area.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 12:08 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Eh I am not sure I support forcing development where the market might not demand it. If they didn't see a need for ground floor retail you will either see empty store fronts there, or continue to see them up and down Canal.
I might agree with you on a different street, but this is Canal Street, literally the most prominent shopping street in the city. It needs to be lined with retail from Claiborne to the ferry.

Landowners had trouble filling stores in the past because of Iberville, and because the other side of Canal was a parking wasteland. Fortunately both of those problems are going away to some extent.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 3:58 AM
-

Quote:
Not very glamorous, but hey, pretty much everyone needs a mattress.

Regarding Canal Crossing, there are some building requirements I could do without (parking minimums, for example, especially as the city densifies). However I do think that retail at that site is in everyone's best interest. As the area develops, there could easily be several thousand new residents within an area of a few blocks. Those people are going to need places to eat, shop, and run errands, even if the demand isn't quite there yet. Plus retail helps to make Canal into more of a shopping and entertainment district as it used to be. 1031 Canal, for example is including a large portion of retail and I think it will be great for that area.
Exactly. Retail begets retail. Plus this project isnt required to provide any offstreet parking but will have like 400 spots. But the retail is key to create activity. Its a smart design strategy i think. Plus if the jung and other projects around it can find tenants im sure they can as well. As a resident in this area now im very much against not including ground floor commercial. It will kill streetlife if we dont include it .

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 4:01 AM
-

Quote:
No the mattress firm isnt going into that complex. Its across the street by Masseys.

533 N Carrollton Ave·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: PYCDDK
Download (7) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Sammy Butera
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
2/25/2016 2:37:15 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Supplement to 15-23961-CUSE, for non-structural, interior final finishes to Mattress Firm. Work inclues carpet, paint, desk, electrical saw-cut to the desk and specialty #-Stat system. No plumbing. No electrical. No HVAC.

Looks like a new TMobile store is going in there though.

500 N Carrollton Ave·Design Review · Project #DR011-16 ·Ref Code: LS5LXT
Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Design Review
Applicant:
GraciHart Electric
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
1/22/2016 9:58:16 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Design review for an attached sign for T-Mobile in an EC Ehancement Corridor and Greenway Corridor Overlay District.

Some substantial new permits over the past two days:

236 N Rampart St·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: 7LC7B1
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Richard Choate
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/15/2016 7:24:59 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Complete redevelopment of the existing Carmelite Monastery complex. The VCC requested we submit this application although the development is in it’s beginning stages.

846 Baronne St·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: K5ZG0D
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Rachel Davis
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/15/2016 12:02:10 PM
Closed:
No
Description
New fifth floor addition to existing four-story masonry and heavy timber frame building. To include 55 apartments, and ground floor lease space and vehicular parking.

618 Magazine St·New Construction ·Ref Code: 16VWS1
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Myles Martin
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/15/2016 1:40:03 PM
Closed:
No
Description
New construction of a parking garage with ground floor retail.

640 Magazine St·New Construction ·Ref Code: MK8RNZ
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Myles Martin
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/15/2016 1:52:37 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Renovate existing five story building into a mixed use structure, with multifamily housing on the upper floors.

700 Magazine St·New Construction ·Ref Code: 36TPHL
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Myles Martin
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/15/2016 1:58:47 PM
Closed:
No
Description
New construction of a 5 story mixed use (retail, parking, multi-family) structure.

3108 St Thomas St·New Construction ·Ref Code: BNGE52
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Jonathan Tate
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/15/2016 2:27:01 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Partial renovation and new construction for 12 units of housing.

923 Julia St·New Construction ·Ref Code: 4HQCFC
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Roland Bodden
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/15/2016 4:06:34 PM
Closed:
No
Description
New 6 Floor multi family development.

Applicant:
Roland Bodden
Contractors:
Expires:
Division:
SP
Subdivision:
Central Business District
Council District:
B
Area:
Next Status:
Application Review
Next Status Date:
3/18/2016 4:06:34 PM
Next Inspection:
Inspection Date:
Next Inspector:
Total Fees:
Unpaid Fees:
Final Date:
Days Open:
Days Issued:
Filing Date:
3/15/2016 4:06:34 PM
Lead Staff:

4501 Magnolia St, 2700 Napoleon Ave·Design Review · Project #DR020-16 ·Ref Code: CCRDKE
Type:
Design Review
Applicant:
Alder Hotel Partners, LLC
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
3/7/2016 11:29:40 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Complete historic renovation of existing 10-story apartment building into a 10-story hotel. The existing structure and exterior facade to remain. New driveway and canopy added to protect drop-off at entrance

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 17, 2016 at 5:33 AM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
846 Baronne St·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: K5ZG0D
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Rachel Davis
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/15/2016 12:02:10 PM
Closed:
No
Description
New fifth floor addition to existing four-story masonry and heavy timber frame building. To include 55 apartments, and ground floor lease space and vehicular parking.
I'm really excited about the activity going on around this little stretch of Baronne. That block between Julia and Howard Ave has so much charm I think. I was sorry to hear Fraques closed down right before the little neighborhood really grew, but looks like they already found a new tenant for the space...

http://mammothespresso.com/

In my opinion this area close to Union Passenger Terminal and bounded by Howard Ave and Julia St always had so much potential for a laid back, urban vibe.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
No the mattress firm isnt going into that complex. Its across the street by Masseys.
Yeah, thats what he was initially asking about - the building being renovated across from the CVS

As for the TMobile in the old home depot lot... that was one of the stores floated with Starbucks, PetCo and CVS in the initial plans. I wonder if all those stores will wind up in there anyway now, despite the initial disapproval from residents. We really dont need a Starbucks.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 6:59 PM
-

Quote:
Yeah, thats what he was initially asking about - the building being renovated across from the CVS

As for the TMobile in the old home depot lot... that was one of the stores floated with Starbucks, PetCo and CVS in the initial plans. I wonder if all those stores will wind up in there anyway now, despite the initial disapproval from residents. We really dont need a Starbucks.
Sorry I misunderstood ! But yes people need mattresses or at least a place to try them out before they order it online lol

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 2:08 PM

Just noticed that there is construction at Lakeside in the parking lot where the Goodyear place used to be (facing Causeway Blvd. to the right of Red Lobster). They are just dumping dirt right now and have it fenced off, but looks like it will be a standalone building. Anyone know what it may be?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 2:40 PM
NOLA Razorback

1031 Canal

Noticed yesterday the crane is starting to go up!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Noticed yesterday the crane is starting to go up!
YES! Finally! It seems like this project was never going to get off the ground. I can't wait for the actual structure to start going up!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
Just noticed that there is construction at Lakeside in the parking lot where the Goodyear place used to be (facing Causeway Blvd. to the right of Red Lobster). They are just dumping dirt right now and have it fenced off, but looks like it will be a standalone building. Anyone know what it may be?
A bank, if I'm not mistaken.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 3:58 PM

Hri

HRI Properties getting additional $50 million for growth

http://theadvocate.com/news/neworlea...ion-for-growth

Glad to see a local developer growing nationally. I see on their website that they have plans at 1508 and 1601 Orleans (which show on my map as being on Basin Street - the vacant auto shop and a building across the street). That area really needs to see some improvement. We have the Iberville redevelopment and the Rampart streetcar moving along. I'm surprised no one has done anything with the former Winn-Dixie and the large parking lots between St. Louis and Lafitte, especially with the greenway now complete.

The city could also help the area by opening up Armstrong Park. The whole back of the park is a parking lot. I would open up the block between Basin and St. Ann for private residential development and use the revenue to build a small parking garage behind the Mahalia Jackson Theater. Then you could turn the lot along St. Philip into more green space. Probably won't happen, but it would make the whole area feel a lot nicer and safer.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 7:11 PM

Quote:
HRI Properties getting additional $50 million for growth

http://theadvocate.com/news/neworlea...ion-for-growth

Glad to see a local developer growing nationally. I see on their website that they have plans at 1508 and 1601 Orleans (which show on my map as being on Basin Street - the vacant auto shop and a building across the street). That area really needs to see some improvement. We have the Iberville redevelopment and the Rampart streetcar moving along. I'm surprised no one has done anything with the former Winn-Dixie and the large parking lots between St. Louis and Lafitte, especially with the greenway now complete.

The city could also help the area by opening up Armstrong Park. The whole back of the park is a parking lot. I would open up the block between Basin and St. Ann for private residential development and use the revenue to build a small parking garage behind the Mahalia Jackson Theater. Then you could turn the lot along St. Philip into more green space. Probably won't happen, but it would make the whole area feel a lot nicer and safer.
I know something is in the works for the old Winn Dixie, they just have not made any public announcements yet. 1508 Orleans and 1601 Orleans both received Low Income Housing Tax Credits in the 2016 funding round and should be moving forward as mixed-income developments with a total of 70 Units between the two addresses.

http://www.lhc.la.gov/assets/Program...andScoring.pdf

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 11:53 PM

Demolition on Elysian Fields

Hey Tennis, I noticed demolition in the 3800 block of Elysian Fields next to the Regions Bank. Anything? Thanks!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Re...39b4ac!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 1:22 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post
Hey Tennis, I noticed demolition in the 3800 block of Elysian Fields next to the Regions Bank. Anything? Thanks!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Re...39b4ac!6m1!1e1
Yeah they lost lease for drive thru so bank bought next door properties to move drive thru to. Nothing too exciting

Posted on tumblr renderings for new 17 story hotel on convention center Blvd. also the plans for 846 baronne

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 4:59 AM
-

846 Baronne Street:

1148 South Peters Floorplans

1148 South Peters Renderings

Canal Street Ferry Terminal:

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 6:44 AM

Tennis I saw on your blog that you also posted what looks like an updated rendering of the Four Seasons/WTC project. Hopefully it's moving forward as much as possible while its still wrapped up in that lawsuit.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 3:07 PM

I've never even heard of the S. Peter's Development! Is that in the Warehouse District? Also in the Warehouse District, I saw a tower crane right behind the Piazza D'Italia (for a while it had my hopes up that they were starting on the Piazza ). What is this for?

As for the Canal Terminal, I really like the design! I don't understand why they didn't connect the roof all the way. I find it a little weird that if it rains, you'll be protected at two separate points, but have to get wet running to catch the ferry...

And finally, that new rendering of the Four Seasons are INCREDIBLE! WOW! I saw this article and I'm hoping that it does start soon so that once the Four Seasons gets going, 2 Canal St. Investors will just drop the lawsuit seeing that it would be pointless for one to make the city re-bid when a vast majority of a project is already completed...but that's wishful thinking knowing this city.
http://nola.curbed.com/2016/3/18/112...t-construction

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations