HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 2:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo_Starr1987 View Post
Hello all

Any updates on the Walmart Supercentre developments in Moncton and Dieppe? Been living in Saint John for the past 1 1/2 years and I'm curious to see. I have heard that Walmart has applied for their building permit to expand the one in Dieppe...but curious to see if any development has begun at these sites.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forums.

This issue is addressed in the [Moncton] Retail thread. To my understanding, it is the Plaza Blvd Wal-Mart that is being expanded to become a supercentre. This is because it will be in direct competition with the new Target at the Northwest Centre. As far as I know, there are no plans for changes to the Champlain Place Wal-Mart.

If you have any definite information otherwise, please feel free to post it.....

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Welcome to the forums.

This issue is addressed in the [Moncton] Retail thread. To my understanding, it is the Plaza Blvd Wal-Mart that is being expanded to become a supercentre. This is because it will be in direct competition with the new Target at the Northwest Centre. As far as I know, there are no plans for changes to the Champlain Place Wal-Mart.

If you have any definite information otherwise, please feel free to post it.....
Thanks, MonctonRad!

Is it currently under construction? Any idea of completion?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 5:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo_Starr1987 View Post
Is it currently under construction? Any idea of completion?
No and no.

I am sure they are waiting for the spring construction season to start. I imagine that the expansion (which is modest) and the renovations will be completed by the late fall, to roughly coincide with the opening of Target.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 6:07 PM

Quote:
No and no.

I am sure they are waiting for the spring construction season to start. I imagine that the expansion (which is modest) and the renovations will be completed by the late fall, to roughly coincide with the opening of Target.
Much appreciated!

If I hear anything, I'll be sure to post here

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 2:14 PM

City of Moncton appoints new General Manager of Economic Development and Events

March 13, 2013

MONCTON – Following an extensive international executive search, City Council is pleased to announce the appointment of Maurice Belliveau to the position of General Manager, Economic Development and Events.

“Maurice Belliveau brings a wealth of experience and local knowledge and understanding to the position and he will be a tremendous addition to the City,” said Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc. “He is a results-oriented, bilingual professional whose passion for Moncton will serve him well in his new role with the City.”

“This is a key senior management function that drives Moncton’s economic development, business attraction, and population growth and oversees the attraction, planning and delivery of major sports and entertainment events at our facilities,” added Moncton City Manager, Jacques Dubé. “We are very pleased that Maurice has accepted the challenge and I look forward to working closely with him. He has the right blend of strategic and practical experience with a proven track record. He will be a great fit with our City of Moncton team.”

“This is a fantastic opportunity for me and I am very much looking forward to joining the City of Moncton, to working with the team of Council and staff with the goal of identifying new opportunities and successfully moving ahead on key economic development and event projects,” said Maurice Belliveau. “I am particularly excited to be working with the great team that is already in place in Economic Development and Events. No one can replace Ian Fowler and I have no intention of trying to do that. His status in this community is legendary.”

Mr. Belliveau will join the City on April 2. He is currently Vice-President at Hudson Design where he worked closely with clients to help grow their business. Previously, he was the Managing Director, Consulting Service, for Business Development Bank of Canada where he helped clients identify growth opportunities. He also possesses strong event management experience in bid submissions and event logistics.

www.moncton.ca

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 3:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton job outlook strong: survey
Wednesday, March 13, 2013
Times & Transcript
By: Eric Lewis

Survey shows 25 per cent of Moncton employers plan to hire in second quarter

Moncton job seekers may be in luck.

The city is ranked in the top five of a new nationwide survey of employers in terms of whether they plan to hire in the next three months.

The quarterly Manpower Employment Outlook Survey was released yesterday, indicating that 25 per cent of employers plan to hire for the upcoming quarter - April to June - while three per cent anticipate cutbacks. Another 72 per cent of employers plan to maintain their current staffing levels.

'It's a good, strong forecast,' said Karen Myers, regional director for Manpower's Atlantic region.

Read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=10747

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Moncton job outlook strong: survey
Here are the raw numbers: http://manpower.ca/MP-CA-File-Pile/A...st-Outlook.pdf

Interesting that Fredericton has the highest increase percentage (33%) and also the highest decrease percentage (17%). Meanwhile, Saint John is at the very bottom of the list.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 1:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Municipalities Act reform continues this summer
Friday, March 15, 2013
Times & Transcript
By: Brent Mazerolle

Drafting new legislation is still months off, official says

A spokesman for the New Brunswick Department of Environment and Local Government says Minister Bruce Fitch's action plan to reform the province's antiquated Municipalities Act is on schedule.

However, for those frustrated with the limitations the nearly 50-year-old legislation imposes on the province's municipalities, the decades-long wait will continue.

Spokesman Ryan Donaghy said yesterday the province will be working with stakeholders this summer through the province's municipal associations.

Coming out of those meetings, "we'll have a framework by the fall," Donaghy said, explaining that once the framework is complete, the real hard slogging of rewriting legislation will begin.

Read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=10757

Personal note - the reform of the provincial municipalities act is extremely important. The current legislation is restrictive, which prevents municipalities from dealing with significant local issues. In Moncton, it is currently impossible to outlaw booting as this issue is not specifically addressed in the current legislation. Similarly, the city is prevented from instituting a hotel occupancy tax, the profits of which could be used for such things as downtown improvement or tourism development. New Brunswick municipalities are at a significant competitive disadvantage compared to municipalities in every other North American jurisdiction. Our cities are hamstrung when it comes to new issues and initiatives not addressed in the current 40 year old legislation. This needs to be addressed immediately....

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 2:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to the sleuth, Tim Horton's corporate is considering installing an electric car recharging station at one of the outlets in greater Moncton. It would be only the second such charging station at a Timmie's in the entire country......

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 2:48 PM

Quote:
According to the sleuth, Tim Horton's corporate is considering installing an electric car recharging station at one of the outlets in greater Moncton. It would be only the second such charging station at a Timmie's in the entire country......
That's odd, does anyone in Moncton even own an electric car?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
That's odd, does anyone in Moncton even own an electric car?
Not sure about Moncton, but I've seen Chevy Volts at the GM dealerships in Saint John...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 5:12 PM

I saw a Chevy volt this week in Moncton

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 6:30 PM

The Credit Union Place on Summerside PEI has an ENTIRE parking lot of plug in stations. There is probably 15 or so of them. Waste of money as far as I'm concerned, but at Tim's where the parking lot is regularly used, why not eh?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 9:30 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Waste of money as far as I'm concerned
Care to elaborate on this point, exactly?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Care to elaborate on this point, exactly?
Well if you were to see what they have then you'd under stand. They put up around 15 plug in stations in the farthest parking lot from the building (so the last resort overflow parking lot) and Summerside has like 15,000 people or so, I just don't see the need for that many of them in that location in a city if that size.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 1:15 PM

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but there is already one charging station in Moncton at Hotel Beausejour, they actually had a Tesla Roadster at it for the unveiling last summer.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
I saw a Chevy volt this week in Moncton
I've seen a silver Volt in town on several occasions. I also saw my first Nissan Leaf on Mtn. Rd yesterday.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 11:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is the link to the pdf of the agenda for the March meeting of the City of Moncton Planning Advisory Commission:

http://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Plannin...PAC+Agenda.pdf

The biggest news is that we now know where the new Kent Distribution Centre is being built.

The distribution centre will be huge and will be located at the end of Commerce Street in the Caledonia Industrial Park. The building will be just to the north of that curved section of the Trans Canada Highway immediately to the west of the Shediac Road interchange.

Here are a couple of images I took from the pdf:

This shows the location of the lot with relation to the adjacent Trans Canada Highway.

This shows the actual building itself, and it's location on the lot. There will be a large outdoor lumberyard just to the east of the building. The building itself will have 40 loading bays for tractor trailers!

Between this project, and the new Kent Superstore on Harrisville Blvd, it's going to be a big year for JDI in greater Moncton....

Last edited by MonctonRad; Mar 21, 2013 at 12:31 AM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 12:20 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

That will look quite impressive next to the highway.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 3:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Two final notes about the Kent Distribution Centre:

- if you study the drawing carefully, there will be a rail spur immediately off the CNR mainline serving the facility.
- also, there is space for an additional 100,000 sq ft expansion along the west side of the main building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces