HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 10:23 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The Prince of Wales bridge today, Dec. 11, 2020

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...f-wales-bridge

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 12:34 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That's probably the most likely scenario. The bridge has been neglected so long that it could never support rail, so MUP is the only chance at giving it a new life. Hopefully, the Feds can champion a project to build double track rail on a new bridge next to it in the near future. They have expressed interest in building two, maybe three new road bridge (Alexandra replacement, Kettle and a west end bridge), why not a transit only bridge for Trillium?
If a new transit bridge is to be considered later, building it out by Parkdale might provide better utility than right beside this one. A direct link between the UQAM Rapibus and Tunney's Pasture Stations could be really useful with a stop in the densified north end of Parkdale. If it were for a surface tram, I could easily see them running on the wide grassy medians within Tunney's. Of course this wouldn't be a Trillium extension, more like a Rapibus tram conversion.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 12:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
ends in a low density residential neighbouhood with no major employers
I thought you were referring to Stittsville for a minute

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 2:00 AM

https://ontarioconstructionnews.com/...in-the-bushes/

Recent quotes by the Moose proponent.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 8:32 AM

Moose is like the black knight in Holy Grail.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Moose is like the black knight in Holy Grail.
LOL. Nailed it.

But I really want to see who these investors are who have supposedly put up $50M to buy the bridge but have no plan for a system buildout necessary to secure a return on that initial investment.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 6:20 PM

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 6:16 PM

Thanks for posting. Good to see that an interprovincial transit link is still on the table at this point... eventually.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Jim Watson
@JimWatsonOttawa

Following initial discussions with our Algonquin partners, I will be seeking your support to rename the Prince of Wales Bridge to the Chief William Commanda Bridge. He served as Chief of the Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg First Nation ('51-'70) & was an Order of Canada recipient.

https://twitter.com/JimWatsonOttawa/...57032682840073

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Jon Willing
@JonathanWilling

Watson wants Prince of Wales Bridge to be renamed Chief William Commanda Bridge. He also sounds certain the city this year can start working on transforming the bridge deck into a pathway (it needs upper gov funding). Could open later this year!

10:51 AM · Jan 27, 2021·TweetDeck
https://twitter.com/JonathanWilling/...57062894424070

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Can't wait to cross the bridge by bike or even walk on the bridge to bayview station to reach the airport via trilium

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 6:06 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Quote:
Jon Willing
@JonathanWilling

Watson wants Prince of Wales Bridge to be renamed Chief William Commanda Bridge. He also sounds certain the city this year can start working on transforming the bridge deck into a pathway (it needs upper gov funding). Could open later this year!

10:51 AM · Jan 27, 2021·TweetDeck
https://twitter.com/JonathanWilling/...57062894424070
Nope... I can't get behind this at all. What a slap in the face to the Prince of Wales! What heinous act did he ever perpetrate to merit being erased from history like that?

Can't we name something new after Chief Commanda? he's absolutely a man worth remembering.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Nope... I can't get behind this at all. What a slap in the face to the Prince of Wales! What heinous act did he ever perpetrate to merit being erased from history like that?

Can't we name something new after Chief Commanda? he's absolutely a man worth remembering.
You don't think the Prince of Wales has enough things named after him across Ottawa, let alone the rest of the world? It doesn't seem like that big of a slap in the face... He's already going be the next King of Canada, that's not enough?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 6:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I don't really care about the Prince of Wales and his name being on stuff, but did Mr. Commanda have a relationship to the city of Ottawa? I know he is from Kitizan Zibi near Maniwaki.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 6:51 PM
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArconio View Post
You don't think the Prince of Wales has enough things named after him across Ottawa, let alone the rest of the world? It doesn't seem like that big of a slap in the face... He's already going be the next King of Canada, that's not enough?
my thoughts exactly

It's offensive that we still have the monarchy.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 6:57 PM
Registered Loser

Quote:
Aside from being a hereditary, anti-democratic, hierarchical institution

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Which Prince of Wales is it even named after? Assuming not the current one.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 7:07 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
There's all kinds of potential symbolism here (erasing the name of the Crown, just like the Crown erased indigenous rights during colonization, etc), which I'm not commenting on. I'm just against renaming things in general, unless there's an overwhelming reason to do so, because it's changing history.

In highly related news, Langevin Avenue in Vanier is about to be renamed Commanda Way. In this case the name being replaced is intrinsically linked to the creation of the residential school system. Langevin's erasure is being generally viewed as a positive thing.

This street renaming, however, falls within the purview of the City of Ottawa, unlike the POW Bridge, which is federal jurisdiction and beyond Watson's reach. But that's never stopped Jimbo from sticking his nose into federal business before. Ah... politics!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 7:11 PM

Quote:

Surprised to see such a strong reaction on this.

I tend to agree that renaming roads, buildings and other infrastructure accomplishes nothing, but in this case, I feel like it's a slam dunk. I'm less enthused about renaming the Langevin Avenue in Vanier. Why do we have to rename two things for Chief Commanda in one shot? A highly visible and likely to be popular bridge and a minor residential street most people have never seen and heard about. I feel like renaming Trump Avenue is more pressing. But I'm getting off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Which Prince of Wales is it even named after? Assuming not the current one.
It's named for King Edward VII, son of Queen Victoria.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 7:14 PM

Quote:
There's all kinds of potential symbolism here (erasing the name of the Crown, just like the Crown erased indigenous rights during colonization, etc), which I'm not commenting on. I'm just against renaming things in general, unless there's an overwhelming reason to do so, because it's changing history.

In highly related news, Langevin Avenue in Vanier is about to be renamed Commanda Way. In this case the name being replaced is intrinsically linked to the creation of the residential school system. Langevin's erasure is being generally viewed as a positive thing.

This street renaming, however, falls within the purview of the City of Ottawa, unlike the POW Bridge, which is federal jurisdiction and beyond Watson's reach. But that's never stopped Jimbo from sticking his nose into federal business before. Ah... politics!
I agree there is value in continuing to honour those our society has chosen to honour in the past. I just also happen to think we have very many things named after members of the royal family, and it might make sense to spread the honour around to other deserving contributors to society. Not every renaming is erasure. Keeping Prince of Wales drive but renaming this bridge seems eminently reasonable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation