HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 9:12 AM

That is interesting about the Eye Institute, Matthew. I guess it is good news for the city that Wake is leasing and not buying, in-terms of tax revenue. I was reading an article in the Triangle Business Journal yesterday about skyrocketing sublease space in Raleigh (one of the hottest markets in the country in-terms of jobs/housing/etc.).

They mentioned the Citrix building in Raleigh, which may be similar to the Inmar building (although it was a new construction in 2014, not a repurposed building and is around 2/3 the size).

Image of building:
https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.uuYvjl...id=ImgDet&rs=1

-----

"The huge Citrix building in Downtown Raleigh was built in 2014 and features a yoga studio, restaurant and fitness center. Now, the 153,000-square-foot building is empty.

“We’ve seen very little activity on large subleases. Anything over 50,000 square feet would need to attract a very large regional office or a corporate headquarters and those spaces have ended up sitting on the market for quite some time,” said Tucker Shade, executive vice president of Savills.

“Citrix is an amazing space; it is that flight to quality but it’s too big. There are a number of spaces that are over 50,000 square feet that, odds are, they will not get subleased.”

-----

We are very fortunate to have Wake Forest taking the majority of the Inmar building. If Raleigh cannot find a tenant for the Citrix building, the Inmar building would have sat vacant for a long time.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 3:10 PM

Norfolk Southern has informed Charlotte it is willing to consider leasing its O-Line tracks for the proposed red line commuter rail. The O Line runs from Charlotte to Winston-Salem and is key to current plans to return passenger rail to Winston.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 11:49 PM

^ promising

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 4:06 PM
randalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMetroRaleigh View Post
Norfolk Southern has informed Charlotte it is willing to consider leasing its O-Line tracks for the proposed red line commuter rail. The O Line runs from Charlotte to Winston-Salem and is key to current plans to return passenger rail to Winston.

Wow. I could’ve used that back in the day when I was a college kid in Winston commuting home to Charlotte.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 10:58 PM

Truliant Tower

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 11:19 PM

Metropolitan Village

Old Posted Oct 21, 2023, 4:13 AM
Fourth and Main

A lot of opinions are changing about Truliant Tower, now that the sign is completed and lit. A majority of people seem to like it now, including those who hated it when it was first proposed. I noticed on a web cam, the buildings are lit all-night. Even the Wells Fargo Center. It's good to see that.

I was just searching for an update on Metropolitan Mixed-use. Thank you for posting an update! That is a very big development and I seem to remember it's phased, so there will be more structures starting when this phase is completed.

Maybe that passenger rail line from Winston-Salem's Union Station to Uptown Charlotte is moving closer to reality than many of us thought? I know there are many local leaders pushing for it. I noticed, next to Charlotte's ballpark, it appears as if the tracks pass through a concrete structure (near Trade and Graham) that could be designed for future passenger rail? It has stairs and what appears to be platforms. The line to downtown Winston-Salem ends about seven blocks from that structure and could easily be connected to it. That would allow sports fans in Winston-Salem to ride a train to football, soccer, and (maybe with a transfer?) basketball games. It also works in reverse, connecting Charlotte to Wake Forest sports, Winston-Salem arts, interesting restaurants and breweries, the IQ District, etc.,.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2023, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSBornNBred View Post
That is interesting about the Eye Institute, Matthew. I guess it is good news for the city that Wake is leasing and not buying, in-terms of tax revenue. I was reading an article in the Triangle Business Journal yesterday about skyrocketing sublease space in Raleigh (one of the hottest markets in the country in-terms of jobs/housing/etc.).

They mentioned the Citrix building in Raleigh, which may be similar to the Inmar building (although it was a new construction in 2014, not a repurposed building and is around 2/3 the size).

Image of building:
https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.uuYvjl...id=ImgDet&rs=1

-----

"The huge Citrix building in Downtown Raleigh was built in 2014 and features a yoga studio, restaurant and fitness center. Now, the 153,000-square-foot building is empty.

“We’ve seen very little activity on large subleases. Anything over 50,000 square feet would need to attract a very large regional office or a corporate headquarters and those spaces have ended up sitting on the market for quite some time,” said Tucker Shade, executive vice president of Savills.

“Citrix is an amazing space; it is that flight to quality but it’s too big. There are a number of spaces that are over 50,000 square feet that, odds are, they will not get subleased.”

-----

We are very fortunate to have Wake Forest taking the majority of the Inmar building. If Raleigh cannot find a tenant for the Citrix building, the Inmar building would have sat vacant for a long time.
The Citrix building is over 100 years old. Yes it is empty because Citrix was bought by another firm, after covid.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2023, 11:52 PM

Wow, I’m even more impressed now that the signage is complete. The building is revalidated - thank you again Truliant.

Let’s not get too excited about rail twixt W- S and Charlotte recalling the huge amount of announced stuff that never materialized and this has not even been announced.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 6:49 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. If you can, please support any local businesses sharing photographs and thank them.

A new headquarters, an update on 200 West Second, and a new small grocery store in Truliant Tower! I'm excited!

Video Link

3rd + Main Market:
Are you ready for another small downtown grocery store? 3rd + Main Market is a proposed urban market located on the first floor of the Truliant Building. The market will have a variety of groceries and essentials, along with craft beer and coffee, baked goods, and a kitchen for sandwiches and other food options. Indoor seating will be along the Third and Fourth street exterior glass walls. Outside seating will be on the terrace of the building, just outside the market. Metropolis Architecture is the architect for this project. It's great to see the spaces along the street-level entrances of this 30-storey high-rise building converted to retail/restaurant spaces!

Credit: Matthew Draughn

Kaleideum Science Museum:

Credit: Garmon and Company

Assembling exhibits from Roto Group:

Credit: Kaleideum

Progress Tour:

Credit: wildfireideas

Credit: Kaleideum

Truliant Tower: Built!
This project is now completed.

This city has rough terrain:

Credit: tim_hutch

Credit: Joe Mills

GOLFTEC Headquarters:
GOLFTEC has leased office space and is moving their corporate headquarters from Colorado to 801 North Liberty Street in downtown Winston-Salem's Arts District. LMI Builders will be the General Contractor for this project.

Mission Mobile Medical:
This adaptive-reuse project is starting construction. It will become their new headquarters. Fourth Elm will be the General Contractor for this project.

Credit: Fourth Elm

Novant Health Critical Care Center:

One of the most difficult projects to find photographs of:

Credit: d-s-duggins-welding

...and I search every week for an update on this project!

New Tenants/Leases:
The franchisee owner in the region for a chain hair salon now has the space at 315 S. Liberty Street. No word on what his plans are for the space.

Salem Bottling Works:

Credit: salembottleworks

200 West Second Hotel & Apartments:
Transwestern Real Estate Services will provide asset services for 200 West Second Street. Is this the moment we have been waiting for? Are the legal issues resolved and the building can finally be sold? Contact Micah Larmie about the building, if you're interested in the building. "Micah has been active in commercial real estate for more than 20 years. She has extensive experience in operating all classes of office buildings, industrial and mixed-use properties, acquisitions and dispositions of assets, development and redevelopment of assets."

1782 George Stockburger House Restoration:

Credit: stockburgerfarmhouse

Powaah Multiplex Event Space:
The event space of the week is Powaah Multiplex. It's not a done deal, but the building at 27th and Collins is being considered for this. I do believe there is an "event space" post-pandemic bubble and I also think said bubble will pop in the near future. There are so many of these event spaces being planned and built.

Interstate 74:

Interstate 40 / Interstate 74 Interchange (October 15, 2023):

Credit: Dale Briggs

Credit: Dale Briggs

Facture @ BLDG 87: Built!
This project is completed and now leasing. Sadly, no photographs.

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:
Michael Sears said, "Made it to the Residential Level... 2 levels of Parking and Amenities/Restaurant slabs are in. I love concrete construction! We should start wood framing by Christmas!"

Credit: Michael Sears

Alternative Transportation:

Transit, Bike, & Pedestrian Improvements:
The Community Walk Audit is now studying West End Boulevard, in the City's effort to create a more walkable city.

Off-Subject:

Job Growth:
Winston-Salem's job growth is the best in the Triad and among the best in the state, at nearly 4%, according to the N.C. Department of Commerce.

Your City

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 7:33 PM

Thanks for sharing all the info. I hadn't heard anything about Golftec and Mission Mobile. They are exciting new business projects that should be reported in the news. GWSI should pick up those stories. Any idea where Mission Mobile is going?

Also, what is Facture at BLDG 87?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 9:05 PM
Fourth and Main

I'm sorry it took so long to respond.

Facture at BLDG 87 is the renovation of a 1920 warehouse into co-warehousing space. It is completed and leasing space. This is located on the proposed expansion of Long Branch Trail, north of downtown. If anyone reading this has a small business that creates items to sell and you need a warehouse and distribution/shipping services, this is something to look into. They have office space, meeting space, warehouse space, and shipping services for tenants.

I'm guessing GOLFTEC was one of the two headquarters GWSI was working to bring here? I haven't seen anything on incentives or meetings for incentives? Mission Mobile Medical is adaptive-reusing the former Dudley Products Headquarters Complex. They didn't buy the hotel and conference center on the former Dudley Headquarters Campus, but they did buy the building constructed in 1994 at the campus. Both headquarters projects have a GC and are starting work.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 12:49 AM

In today’s WSJ an article about a company to implement electric air taxis between W-S Smith Reynolds and Charlotte Douglas. This sounds exciting and very good for INT. On the other hand will it be competition for the recently discussed nearing reality high-speed train between W-S and Charlotte?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post
In today’s WSJ an article about a company to implement electric air taxis between W-S Smith Reynolds and Charlotte Douglas. This sounds exciting and very good for INT. On the other hand will it be competition for the recently discussed nearing reality high-speed train between W-S and Charlotte?
Wait, what's an electric air taxi? A car that is electric and goes between airports? Not an electric car that flies?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 9:25 PM

A lot of construction activity at the Lofts of Whitaker Park

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 2:24 AM

Wynnefield Forward, LLC received $4.85 million of gap financing to develop 180 rental housing units near Indiana Avenue and Bethabara Road. The housing will consist of (27) one-bedroom, (81) two-bedroom, and (72) three-bedrooom.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 1:20 PM

I was in Greenville, SC recently and came across a place called Gather GVL. It is an outdoor food hall/greenspace that actually uses old shipping containers for a lot of the food stalls. It had upper and lower level seating, as well as a green space in the middle to sit or for kids to play. Some of the food stalls were pizza, burgers/bar fare, sushi/Asian, mexican, and a few others. They served wine and beer also.

If there are any developers on here, this would be perfect for one of the vacant lots around DTWS - maybe at one of the 4th and broad commercial lots for sale? I am sure this would be a huge hit in downtown W-S if it were to be replicated. It has consistently been rated as one of the best food halls in America.

Here's what it looks like:

https://assets.simpleviewinc.com/sim...1c941575da.jpg

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/gcd...-Gather_01.JPG

We need something like this!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 5:34 AM

I hope the finished product actually looks like renderings for 3rd and Main Market. The renderings depict an attractive injection of street activity on the ground floor of Truliant Tower.

Last edited by DCMetroRaleigh; Oct 28, 2023 at 2:20 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 8:48 PM
Fourth and Main

Thank you for the update on The Lofts @ Whitaker Park. That is a project I often forget about. Since the move to SSP, I no longer have any sources for what is happening at Whitaker Park. I would love to know if the new developer will build the retail, new "ground-up construction" apartments, and hotel project or if all of that will move to the Deacon Boulevard Redevelopment Site? These two are so close, they would likely compete for tenants, residents, hotel guests, and even hotel flags. If the retail and hotel are cancelled, it would also be interesting to know if a new project is proposed for that area? Will it build-out with all apartments is another question? I guess that depends on the success of The Lofts @ Whitaker Park?

The Joby Aviation project that selected Dayton was looking at Winston-Salem. There are two more considering Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem is creating the leading airport for eVTOL research and tech, with assistance from ECSU and the State of North Carolina. For a time, it should be the only airport in the United States designed for take-off and landing of eVTOL aircraft, since those requirements and tech are being developed in Winston-Salem.

I've actually been to that food hall in Greenville on a visit to see my parents, who live in neighboring Henderson County. It was a few years ago. Winston-Salem does have a plan to build something like this called The Railyard. It will be located next to Fogle Commons park and that tall light tower in the Innovation Quarter's next phase. The description includes retail, restaurants, and entertainment center, with art galleries and a climbing wall.

Look for the shipping containers (bottom, right corner) to find The Railyard in this rendering:

Credit: Innovation Quarter

I love seeing what is happening with Truliant Tower and would like to see that market project move forward.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 12:02 AM

I know Matthew will remember that using old containers in this manner was discussed at length on the old WSTB Forum. I seem to recall I was the only one against. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in my opinion those used containers are awful. If such a food plaza is done in W-S, I do hope it’s not these containers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations