HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 7:54 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

assiniboin on pemida

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 8:20 PM
the first stamp is free

^ ding ding! LEED Silver. Although it should have been Gold. We got screwed.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 10:17 PM

Too bad your client did find some used motor oil on the lot when they were digging the foundation.

MPI found some when they were building their new Main St location, left in the ground from when the lot was a dealership years ago, and by removing the contaminated oil and adding that fact in the paperwork they went from a designed Silver building to a Gold designation.

If I am not mistaken all govt buildings have to obtain a LEED Silver designation now.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Too bad your client did find some used motor oil on the lot when they were digging the foundation.

MPI found some when they were building their new Main St location, left in the ground from when the lot was a dealership years ago, and by removing the contaminated oil and adding that fact in the paperwork they went from a designed Silver building to a Gold designation.

If I am not mistaken all govt buildings have to obtain a LEED Silver designation now.
And this is the height of waste. That contaminated soil is affecting nothing. It's especially not affecting an MPI claims centre that is slab-at-grade and paved everywhere else. it's not even legally required remediation of a commercial building. And yet, in order to check some meaningless box and make a claim almost nobody cares about, we run a hundred diesel trucks back and forth to a site dumping and replacing soil, all at huge expense.

Some things I'll just never understand...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 12:31 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post

There was oil. The building was built over top of an old gas station. No crawlspace to avoid the contamination in the soil.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 12:44 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
There was oil. The building was built over top of an old gas station. No crawlspace to avoid the contamination in the soil.
Community Chev Olds Cadillac was there, before that I think it was Winnipeg Motors.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Community Chev Olds Cadillac was there, before that I think it was Winnipeg Motors.
This was the MPI building on North Main. They're referring to the ACU on Pembina...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 1:05 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Yes, that was the post I quoted.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 4:58 PM

Potain MD 365 - Assembled to full hieght for project in image (260 feet) - Used on Alt Site.
glasshousewinnipeg.com

@brent_bellamy

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 7:03 PM

Glass House | SkyLofts - Site Nov.26

Source

Where is the much talked about Fin on the Alt?
That stucco color is quite odd looking in the morning, looks better in the dark.

I threw this in for all you posters who love Stefano Grande..lol..

@CentrepointWpg @GlasshouseWPG Love the display suite! Sell out and build more please!
https://twitter.com/stefanogrande/st...35513580855296

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 7:12 PM

^ alt definitely looks nicer with the trim around the windows. Takes some of the attention away from the EIFS cladding. It'll be interesting to see what effect the fin has.

I see this building as being a bit of a "role player" in the skyline... kind of a background building that helps to modernize the overall look of things, but doesn't have much of an impact on its own in either height or appearance. Certainly an improvement over what was there before.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ alt definitely looks nicer with the trim around the windows. Takes some of the attention away from the EIFS cladding. It'll be interesting to see what effect the fin has.

I see this building as being a bit of a "role player" in the skyline... kind of a background building that helps to modernize the overall look of things, but doesn't have much of an impact on its own in either height or appearance. Certainly an improvement over what was there before.
Sure the window trim is nice, and the overall building is different from what's currently the norm here but it's pretty much complete. Can we actually verify the fin will be added, maybe they've removed the feature from the final design?

I certainly hope it's not cut out of the initial renderings and subsequent plan, much like the grand looking parkade initially proposed?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 7:54 PM

Once they take the stickers off the windows, I think ALT will clean up not too bad. Still looks a bit of a mess. Betcha that fin will never show up. How is the red coming along on the parkade? That was sarcasm by the way. I haven't seen anything as of last week. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 7:59 PM

Am I the only one who thinks the old facade that was retained adds nothing to the overall design? It's like the architectural equivalent of a moose head hanging over the sofa... it worked with the RRC Exchange Campus because there was enough of a critical mass of old buildings and facades. However, it seems like a pointless appendage on CentrePoint.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Once they take the stickers off the windows, I think ALT will clean up not too bad. Still looks a bit of a mess.

Betcha that fin will never show up.

How is the red coming along on the parkade?

That was sarcasm by the way. I haven't seen anything as of last week. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.
I'm getting that feeling.

It isn't, same feeling..

But. maybe we'll both be shocked and something will occur.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Once they take the stickers off the windows, I think ALT will clean up not too bad. Still looks a bit of a mess. Betcha that fin will never show up. How is the red coming along on the parkade? That was sarcasm by the way. I haven't seen anything as of last week. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.
entire main floor of parkade is covered in orange tarps so how could you see anything?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks the old facade that was retained adds nothing to the overall design? It's like the architectural equivalent of a moose head hanging over the sofa... it worked with the RRC Exchange Campus because there was enough of a critical mass of old buildings and facades. However, it seems like a pointless appendage on CentrePoint.
can you imagine the "save the eatons" crowd if they didn't save that facade of the mitchell copp building. good lord, nothing would've been built there.

keep a grand historical entrance helped the St.B cathedral

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
keep a grand historical entrance helped the St.B cathedral
It worked in the case of the St. B cathedral... Mitchell-Copp, not so much.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 8:52 PM

Quote:
It worked in the case of the St. B cathedral... Mitchell-Copp, not so much.
Even though I'm a huge proponent for historical preservation, this facade does not do much for the appearance of the new building it's fronting or the street.

Maybe in a different location, but not along side the current architecture on this block, several blocks for that matter.

Last edited by Cyro; Nov 28, 2014 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
entire main floor of parkade is covered in orange tarps so how could you see anything?
There you go. Like I said I haven't been by since last week or so. The red stuff is supposed to be up the whole side of it, not just the first floor. My point was and still is, I highly doubt the fancy stuff will be added. but I hope I'm wrong.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan