HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 6:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
Would it not serve the area well if a lane was added both directions between the Cocagne interchange and mckees mills and again between Sheridan road and the scales? Then just add intermittent passing lanes north or bouctouche?

Passing lanes are helpful to be sure, but are not an absolute panacea. Just look at the infamous section of the TCH between Sutherlands River and Marshy Hope in northern NS. There are lots of passing lanes on this section of road but still a mounting death toll. The NS government has caved in and decided to twin this section of the highway.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I know southwestern Ontario modestly well, having vacationed up there a couple of times in the last five years. What you have said is mostly true but.

- Highway 8 is divided well past Kitchener and only reverts to a rural highway about 10-12 km before Stratford.
- There is continuous work being done on the 410 around Brampton, and Highway 10 north as far as Orangeville I would classify as a "super super non divided highway" (very wide four lane non divided highway with very broad shoulders and lots of space to avoid oncoming traffic).
- They have completed a bypass around Wasaga Beach and Collingwood (non divided to be sure, but a limited access "super two" with overpasses and I'm pretty sure a potential to be divided in the future)

There is no question that large towns like Owen Sound and Goderich have been ignored by the Ontario Department of Highways, but Ontario has more urgent business trying to keep highways in the Greater Golden Horseshoe from becoming hopelessly overburdened. It is always difficult to compare the needs of two entirely different provinces.

And finally, it bears repeating that the dividing of the southern portion of Route 11 here in NB isn't just to serve the pampered citizens of Bouctouche. Highway 11 is the principle highway connecting Moncton to the Miramichi, the Acadian Peninsula and the Chaleur coast. There is a lot of truck traffic, and south of Bouctouche, the traffic situation is compounded by exurban commuter flow and tourists traffic. Throw in weather conditions and moose and I think you have ample justification to divide this segment.
Rte 8 is divided about 1/3 of the way between Kitchner and Stratford. Highway 10 is exactly what i think should be done with highway 11. Two lanes both directions as well as a center turning lane.

While the two provinces are different my point was to illustrate there are other ways to look at improving highway infrastructure. Unless of course you want to build it big and then charge a toll for using it. Then by all means go nuts!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 6:24 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Would it not serve the area well if a lane was added both directions between the Cocagne interchange and mckees mills and again between Sheridan road and the scales? Then just add intermittent passing lanes north or bouctouche?
Alternatively (if not additionally), what about twinning the highway at interchanges (like 7 at entrance to CFB Gagetown)?

Edit: Route 11 north of 134, sure, widen to 5 lanes with a middle turning lane. Where it’s already a super 2 though, twin.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Alternatively (if not additionally), what about twinning the highway at interchanges (like 7 at entrance to CFB Gagetown)?

Edit: Route 11 north of 134, sure, widen to 5 lanes with a middle turning lane. Where it’s already a super 2 though, twin.
the very wide Medians imposed by the province for divided highways does not allow a set up such as this AFIK. There are a few spots where a concrete barrier separates the 2 lanes, however these are few and far between. Highway 1 near Saint Andrews and maybe the Saint John throughway by the Harbour bridge are a couple.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 9:34 PM

Quote:
There were cuts in Saint John, Fredericton and Moncton as well. So you are wrong once again but you dont want to see the big picture because you like to play the victim of an attack on your language. Go crawl back in your home!
Mange de la marde! I said French OR Liberals riding. I never said it was only in French ridings that cuts happened, learn to read, if you're unilingual try to manage that one at least.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Dec 28, 2018 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 3:00 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

I'm glad this topic has raised some good debate, but I think it's worth reminding everyone that
1 - Debate ideas and opinions all you want, but keep it civil.
2 - Don't be so prickly. It's hard to infer or impart tone in text. Sarcasm too.
3 - Try to keep things somewhat on topic.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 3:46 AM

[QUOTE=OUIR@random;8420618]Mange de la marde! I said French OR Liberals riding. I never said it was only in French ridings that cuts happened, learn to read, if you're unilingual try to manage that one at least]

I can read just fine thanks in both languages! You’re still wrong. Saint John and Fredericton are not in french or liberal ridings! Easy to tell you reside in one of the above with you telling me to eat shit in french. Grow up or go away like you said you were going to earlier in this thread if you cant handle someone with a different opinion then yours.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 3:48 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

As much as I can see the passion from you both, away with the profanity directed at one another.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 4:06 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Personal attacks generally aren't tolerated on SSP.

Myles has already issued a general warning. Next step would be a PM warning, and if bad manners continue then a possible suspension or permanent banishment.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 5:15 AM

Thank you!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 3:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Please note that I am not necessarily taking your side in this dispute. I am studiously neutral on this particular issue. My comments were intended in a general sense for the information of all. This is a civilized forum and we all want decorum to prevail.

As Myles pointed out, tone can be lost on a text driven medium like an internet forum, and offence can be taken where none was really intended. My hands aren't lily white on this issue either, and I have innocently made comments in the past that other took offence to.

As a rule, think twice and read your post twice before clicking the "submit" button. Make sure that what you are saying is really what you want transmitted to the world.........

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 12:00 AM

Happy New Year to all, it should be an interesting year in New Brunswick.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
the very wide Medians imposed by the province for divided highways does not allow a set up such as this AFIK. There are a few spots where a concrete barrier separates the 2 lanes, however these are few and far between. Highway 1 near Saint Andrews and maybe the Saint John throughway by the Harbour bridge are a couple.
Welsford bypass is another, as well as few scattered sections in the Fredericton - Oromocto corridor.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Please note that I am not necessarily taking your side in this dispute. I am studiously neutral on this particular issue. My comments were intended in a general sense for the information of all. This is a civilized forum and we all want decorum to prevail.

As Myles pointed out, tone can be lost on a text driven medium like an internet forum, and offence can be taken where none was really intended. My hands aren't lily white on this issue either, and I have innocently made comments in the past that other took offence to.

As a rule, think twice and read your post twice before clicking the "submit" button. Make sure that what you are saying is really what you want transmitted to the world.........
Its not about sides. Its about being civilized and im glad you spoke up. Thats all.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
Welsford bypass is another, as well as few scattered sections in the Fredericton - Oromocto corridor.
Route 1 in Petticodiac is another. And part of Wheeler Blvd. in Moncton.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 12:41 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Don’t forget Highway 2 through Edmundston.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 3:17 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...90293&page=371 #7404
Urgent discussions, people.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
There is also a section of the 105 (ring road) from just west of the Royal Rd to Maple street on the north side in Freddy.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 5:02 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Curious question: Is the extension of N.S. 104 from St Peter’s to Sydney supposed to join N.S. 125 at Sydport Access Road (Highway 125 Exit 5)? If the goal of twinning TCH in Nova Scotia is to serve increasing truck traffic, ending it there makes the most sense to me.

Edit: Oops I just realized that Sydport and Sydney Port are on the opposite side of the Sydney River.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Curious question: Is the extension of N.S. 104 from St Peter’s to Sydney supposed to join N.S. 125 at Sydport Access Road (Highway 125 Exit 5)? If the goal of twinning TCH in Nova Scotia is to serve increasing truck traffic, ending it there makes the most sense to me.

Edit: Oops I just realized that Sydport and Sydney Port are on the opposite side of the Sydney River.
I doubt it. The new alignment is to run south of the Bras d'Or, so it seems easier to me to have it stay south of the Sydney River and end at Exit 7.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces