HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 12:44 PM

Lightbulb

I think it is pretty sad that there are those arguing mire over food and drinks than they are about the product being served on the pitch. I have a very hard time seeing Liverpool fans arguing over whether the food and drinks being served at Anfield is better or worse than at Everton!
True fans are not there worrying about the food and drinks.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
I think it is pretty sad that there are those arguing mire over food and drinks than they are about the product being served on the pitch. I have a very hard time seeing Liverpool fans arguing over whether the food and drinks being served at Anfield is better or worse than at Everton!
No true scotsman would DARE enjoy a meal or libations at the Soccer Park! Purify thyselves, ye fans, and purge thyselves of optional nourishments lest ye tarnish the hallowed gates of the Sportsball Stadium!

+++++++

TBH, ABIA is really my gold standard for Austin-centric food court action. They've really done a good job curating local names that could translate well for out of towners but have some quality shine for Austinites. Salt Lick, Hat Creek Burgers, Flyrite Chicken, deMedici coffee, etc. Accessible but with the occasional deep cut. Hopefully the soccer folks will continue to moderate their thirst for lucre with local loyalty. I feel like they seem to want that, will just have to bring their corporate caterers along with them.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I take exception to the idea that Double Dave's is not local. I know they started in College Station but they're based in Austin. I give fewer than zero fucks if it's a chain or not. That shit slams. Hard.

Same with Plucker's. Gross, but local.

mmmpanadas, local. Tamale Addiction, also local. (Manor is local)

Chuy's, Torchy's, Gatti's... all local restaurants.

And if you have a problem with Slovacek's existing in the stadium, I don't think we have the same priorities as Texans at all. Honestly, wanting 100% local restaurants is super silly and nitpicky. OF COURSE a major sporting franchise is going to have chains associated with it. It's also about money, y'know.
Nope. pluckers wings slap so hard

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury6 View Post
Nope. pluckers wings slap so hard
Haha, their flavors are good but their service is always spotty and they don't let you get all flats or all drumsticks. I prefer Wing Stop

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 1:48 PM

Quote:
For a team that hasn't played a (real) game yet? And none that were visible for fans?

Why would we argue about the product on the pitch? Wait a couple months.

Edit/aside: Bao at a match seems like a perfect combo. Excited to try it in a couple months.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 3:48 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
I mean, we haven't played a game? Also, sports fans bitch about stadium food (prices, quality, speed) all the time globally. I don't go to a game at Wrigley without getting a Chicago dog, and it would be disappointing to me if I couldn't have one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comm...und_the_world/

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comm...st_fooddrinks/

Like, I'm sure you can find some Everton fans in there

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 3:48 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
For a team that hasn't played a (real) game yet? And none that were visible for fans?

Why would we argue about the product on the pitch? Wait a couple months.

Edit/aside: Bao at a match seems like a perfect combo. Excited to try it in a couple months.
Bao'd Up is pretty good. I used to grab it before going to my friends place in Mueller but :stares in covid: so its been a year since I've had it.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 3:50 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Their “official domestic beer partner” was always going to be a national company, because no brewery in Austin makes shitty domestic beer.
Ricey Boy by Zilker is actually an excellent take on a good shitty domestic beer if you are in the market.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Ricey Boy by Zilker is actually an excellent take on a good shitty domestic beer if you are in the market.
I haven't had theirs, but Black Star did something similar. But both are still craft beers that happen to be in the style of "adjunct lager"

They were always going to have some sort of macrobeer on tap, because some number of the attendees expect and want it. It will be (relatively) cheaper than any of the Austin craft beers on tap, and I'm sure they'll sell a bunch.

If we had a hometown macro, I'd have expected them. But since we don't, I've no complaints with who they selected.

Given the number of different breweries in Austin, going with rotating taps is actually probably better than having an "official craft brewery".

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 6:34 PM
World Traveler

Rotating taps keeps things interesting anyway. I love trying new beers. And watching sports. Why not do both?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 8:34 PM
Resident Moron

I went to a game at Camp Nou and luckily got warned by a local to shotgun beers outside the gates before coming in. They only had near-beer in the stadium.

Which is to say, Bud Light is better than non-alcoholic estrella.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 2:06 AM

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 4:46 AM

HEB signage is going up

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 7:52 PM
Resident Moron

Team looked pretty ok during their first game against MLS competition.

Lost 3-2 but had another 3 really dangerous scoring opportunities.

Biggest issue is they were passing the ball out of the backfield in *very* dangerous ways which gave up two cheap goals and could have easily given up another 2.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
I’ll bet tv announcers will say that that area is downtown Austin at some point.
When I first read this I laughed but I now agree after seeing a report on KVUE with a drone fly-by showing how it will look to those not knowing Austin...like most mid-sized US cities.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 12:32 PM

I will repeat, now we just need a realllly sexy 300 foot tower at Domain in case people do believe it's downtown.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Haha, their flavors are good but their service is always spotty and they don't let you get all flats or all drumsticks. I prefer Wing Stop
all flats or drums option is on their menu

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 1:50 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I will repeat, now we just need a realllly sexy 300 foot tower at Domain in case people do believe it's downtown.
I agree...with how crazy downtown is, it's only a matter of time till we start getting mid-rise and high rise at the Domain not to rival downtown Austin but will rival other Texas cities.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 1:59 PM
World Traveler

I'm sure when games are televised, shots of downtown will be included. This is the same as how Cowboys games show shots of downtown Dallas despite the fact that they play in Arlington.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I'm sure when games are televised, shots of downtown will be included. This is the same as how Cowboys games show shots of downtown Dallas despite the fact that they play in Arlington.
Yep. Just look at Austin FC's own promotional videos. They almost all feature skyline shots of downtown, with various shots of South and East Austin locations too. Ever seen a shot of the Domain in them?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin