HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 11:12 PM

Here is my drone shot from last Thursday evening. It's interesting to see the difference over two days.

Last edited by urban_planner; Apr 25, 2022 at 12:28 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 11:50 PM

Congrats on the drone purchase! Nice to know there are now two drone pilots on the forum, more the merrier!

Just FYI, if you put an 'h' before the period in the imgur link, it shrinks the image size down a bit so it fits better in the forum.

Last edited by TheHonestMaple; Apr 25, 2022 at 12:45 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 12:28 AM

Thanks for the resizing tip. Also the Drone is amazing. I love it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 1:44 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I think I understand the John/Rebecca "park" now. It's actually a symbol used by an extra-terrestrial civilization. They will land there when we're deemed ready for their visit (though it may be centuries before we are worthy )

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 1:50 PM

Hopefully that park can actually be used for its intended purpose once all these condos get built in the area..... right now it's a complete no-go zone...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 1:58 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Hopefully that park can actually be used for its intended purpose once all these condos get built in the area..... right now it's a complete no-go zone...
And I hope the new residents demand that the city make it more park-like, and not cater exclusively to the aliens or whomever it was designed for.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
And I hope the new residents demand that the city make it more park-like, and not cater exclusively to the aliens or whomever it was designed for.
Totally agree. It's awful. I think it should be completely destroyed and redesigned. Not sure what the heck they were thinking. Even without all the garbage and used needles all over, it's still an extremely uninviting space. Who would have thought paving a park with 80% concrete would be a bad idea

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 2:29 PM

the base design wasn't terrible when it was planned to be done with pavers.. they then cheaped out with asphalt and it completely killed the entire design. If they replace the asphalt with pavers and give the trees another decade to mature, it won't be bad. Maybe put some more benches in, and a larger local population, and it won't be terrible.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 2:33 PM

Once the condo goes in at 71 Rebecca it will change the feel quite a bit.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
the base design wasn't terrible when it was planned to be done with pavers.. they then cheaped out with asphalt and it completely killed the entire design. If they replace the asphalt with pavers and give the trees another decade to mature, it won't be bad. Maybe put some more benches in, and a larger local population, and it won't be terrible.
This was largely a design by committee problem. Many community members were concerned about accessibility. Those using walkers and wheelchairs.

I'm supportive of people with disabilities but I truly don't think pavers are that bad if maintained for accessibility really. The city loves it because it's cheaper, and white knights get to feel like they protected the vulnerable.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 3:29 PM

everywhere else in the world seems to be fine with pavers.. not sure why that's an issue. Hell you don't even have to go far, just 45 mins down the highway to Toronto to see excellent parks with pavers.

If you are really concerned about it get a paver type that's smoother and give it a good sub-base to keep it flat over the long term. Given Hamilton's maintenance practices that would be doubtful though.. but even the asphalt will probably end up being a heaving, cracked mess in a few years.

Berczy Park has very flat, smooth pavers that give off a very premium feel which are still very easily accessible:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.64779...7i16384!8i8192

Queens Quay has an entire street of not-so-smooth pavers that seem to be no issue for those in wheelchairs:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.63959...7i16384!8i8192

Honestly you can see from Berczy Park what mature trees do to parks as well. Give it another 10 years for the trees in the park to be looking more substantial and it'll be fine.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 6:36 PM
Ham-burgher

Could have used patterned concrete if paver heaving was a worry (which it should not be for a number of years if done right, with no heavy vehicles pounding on it daily)

I think my issue isn't so much what was used for paving, but the fact it dominates so much of the space! A nice open area with grass and plants and trees -- especially around the perimeter, to create more of a secluded-from-city vibe -- criss-crossed by paved walkways would have been just fine, especially with some seating. Instead we have largely useless mounds that look like reverse crop circles.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 6:43 PM

The problem with the park was it was designed to please everyone and ended up pleasing none!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 7:01 PM

anyone know the floorplate size here? looks yuge

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
anyone know the floorplate size here? looks yuge
They're not perfect rectangles, but on the site plan it shows the south tower as 41.00m by 18.50m and the north tower as 38.35m by 21.42m.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 9:29 PM

Wish these Liuna projects had more renders. Wonder why they don't release more.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Wish these Liuna projects had more renders. Wonder why they don't release more.
Costs money to make renders, and they're just not needed. Developers make renders to market their building or to sell it architecturally to the city. They've completed both those tasks.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
The problem with the park was it was designed to please everyone and ended up pleasing none!
I think the city shouldn't have built a park here at all actually. They should have sold the land off to a developer at a good price and made sure a large residential development was built within 5 years. The tax revenue and increase in residents in the area would have done a lot more for the city than this shitty park will ever do.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 4:16 AM

Quote:
I think the city shouldn't have built a park here at all actually. They should have sold the land off to a developer at a good price and made sure a large residential development was built within 5 years. The tax revenue and increase in residents in the area would have done a lot more for the city than this shitty park will ever do.
I actually agree. Downtown badly needs park space, but I'd have preferred to see it be the Vine municipal parking lot, closer to James St. There's less park space that way, and it would work well with a pedestrian friendly James St and likely to be popular hip area around Vine St once developments begin taking over the blocks between Bay, James, Cannon and York.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 6:04 PM
Hammer'd

When the development goes in at the former bus station across the street and the trees mature a little in a few years, I think it'll become a popular park. Kids will enjoy watching the fire trucks come in and out of the station across the street.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton