HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 2:48 PM
sick transit, gloria

I've basically never used anything from my Aerospace Engineering undergraduate degree on the job. And surprisingly little from my Planning Master's. That being said, these types of degrees are less about providing you the skills to slide seamlessly into a job than both the ability to pick up new concepts quickly and (for my Master's) employ critical thinking when faced with difficult issues. I've seen the differences in my career with people who had more technical subject matter degrees yet seem less flexible when situations change quickly.

I was absolutely one of those kids who was expected to go to University no matter what, even though they made it pretty clear I was on my own when it came to paying for it! Surprisingly my high school was actually pretty good about encouraging kids to consider college or trades though - probably because of the neighbourhood it was located in and mix of backgrounds compared to some other suburban high schools in Calgary. I do absolutely get why a lot of parents are insistent on university - it gave me the ability to move across the country and was probably the single most formative experience in my life. As someone who had a mediocre (at best) high school experience it was like entering a different world and I don't regret the choice even a little bit - even though I realized I couldn't stand engineering partway through (despite the fact I could get As).

This all being said there should to be some sort of middle ground between essentially mandatory university for white-collar careers and entering the workforce immediately after high school. Something along the lines of CEGEP in Quebec always seemed pretty good to me.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 2:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My entourage is almost all white collar Gen Xers, and I've noticed a lot of guys around 50 that I know are talking about ditching office jobs to drive sidewalk snow removal chenillettes, or selling chain saws at a Husqvarna store.
Thought of this thread yesterday as I crossed paths with an old friend I'd lost touch with during the pandemic. He's a lawyer by profession and a federal government executive (EX). Getting to his mid-50s and thinking about retirement, and can't wait to get a college diploma as a mechanic and go work in the auto shop at Canadian Tire.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Thought of this thread yesterday as I crossed paths with an old friend I'd lost touch with during the pandemic. He's a lawyer by profession and a federal government executive (EX). Getting to his mid-50s and thinking about retirement, and can't wait to get a college diploma as a mechanic and go work in the auto shop at Canadian Tire.
It's almost like 30+ years doing something and it's not as fun anymore. Gotta find something fulfilling again.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 3:33 PM

Yeah turning wrenches and wrecking your body is not great fun. I’m a refrigeration and a/c mechanic and it’s hard enough on the body. Started in my mid 30’s and not early 40’s knees do not love ladders. I wouldn’t mind getting a job where I’m in a warm space all winter and air conditioned all summer instead of being on a roof in -30 and +30. Good money though.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Yeah turning wrenches and wrecking your body is not great fun. I’m a refrigeration and a/c mechanic and it’s hard enough on the body. Started in my mid 30’s and not early 40’s knees do not love ladders. I wouldn’t mind getting a job where I’m in a warm space all winter and air conditioned all summer instead of being on a roof in -30 and +30. Good money though.
I totally get that. And also see it from the other side. Sitting in an office chair for 3 decades will destroy your body in other ways. It's good to have a job that combines problem-solving with a (modest) amount of physical movement. I also doubt that lawyer plans to work as a mechanic for 20 more years.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 4:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
It's good to have a job that combines problem-solving with a (modest) amount of physical movement.
You shoulda become a physician then!

But, being an MD destroys your body in other ways. I have 40 years of on call responsibilities under my belt, and getting called in the middle of the night and running back & forth to the hospital at 3 AM does a real number on your sleep habits.

I've been off call for a little over a year now, and I'm still a night owl. Lots of restless and disrupted sleep too. Poor sleep can take years off your life span.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 4:27 PM

Quote:
It's good to have a job that combines problem-solving with a (modest) amount of physical movement.
Being in charge of one’s own business is IMO the best way to have a problem-solving life. Your results hinge on your decisions, all the time. My entire adult life has basically been a continuous stream of problems, cogitation, and (ideally and in the vast majority of cases) solving.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 4:59 PM

Quote:
That's a great feeling.

If you've "slayed the three dragons": saving for retirement, paying off your house and paying for your kids' education, then why not?

There's the status/prestige of a white collar job with a fancy title but, with every passing year, I find that I care about that less and less.

---

My own plans are to save up enough in those aforementioned three areas (some of them like paying off my house I'll probably never 100% achieve - I do live in Toronto, after all - but that's ok), and then quit my job for something kind of blue collar and hands-on that pays about half what I currently make.

If I ever feel the urge to do "white collar stuff", like spreadsheeting, presenting, meeting with people, etc., I think I'll volunteer for a small-scale non-profit in a cause I believe in that could use help in these areas.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 5:07 PM

Dang. We gotta start a club.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 5:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The Neo-Blue Collar Ex-White Collar Club?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 5:42 PM

Quote:

DM me if you want to bounce off ideas. I'm always interested to learn what other people are doing and to cheerlead from the sides. I also can share some approaches that have worked for me.

Cheers!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 6:06 AM

No matter what multi decade career you had chosen it won't beat starting a successful company, selling it at 40 and retiring to gardening or opening a winery or some other healthy, enriching hobby that involves some light physical labour. Spinning that life pathway would even beat out those who were born so rich they never had to work a day in their lives.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 1:22 PM

Quote:
I work in environmental consulting, soon to be licensed as an engineer this year, and this is pretty much how my job works. Field work mixed in with office work that heavily involves problem solving. Lots of projects going on at once so there is a lot of variety in the day-to-day. Lots of interesting and bizarre situations too.

It can be quite exhausting at times, but it’s hard to imagine going back to the days before I had my degree, when I was wrecking my body doing long weeks of low-skill physical work.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 6:39 PM

Almost 9 025 000 for Quebec and it seems like it was just yesterday that we passed the 9 million mark!

It's crazy.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 5:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to the population clock, we are now less than 30k away from 41M Canadians.

We should reach the milestone within about 12 days (I'm personally hoping for April Fools Day).

That's a million new Canadians in one year. Completely unsustainable.....

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 6:15 PM

US Metro Areas by Population Growth, 2022-2023

Dallas: 152,598
Houston: 139,789
Atlanta: 68,585
Orlando: 54,916
Tampa: 51,622
Charlotte: 50,458
Austin: 50,105
Phoenix: 49,240
San Antonio: 48,071
Miami: 43,387

The American South completely dominating growth. Dallas will be passing Chicago in total population by the 2030s at this rate. Interesting to see that Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver (among others?) are likely only behind 2 American metros in yearly population growth. We will wait for StatsCan official estimates.

More Counties Saw Population Gains in 2023, US Census Bureau (see Table 8)
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...ains-2023.html

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 6:29 PM

Is that the Southern Top Ten, or actually really the Top Ten?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Is that the Southern Top Ten, or actually really the Top Ten?
Top 10 overall, yes

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 9:38 PM

The Top 10 declining metropolitan areas weren't published on that link, but the respective counties with the greatest declines are within the following metros, and were no surprise if anyone was following the news: Los Angeles, New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, San Diego

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 9:59 PM

Sorry is this a Canadian or American Statistical Population thread? Or just yet another example of Canadians obsession with the US?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada