HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 12:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I lived in Bloomfield for several years, and never once shopped there. That ugly store always gave me the creeps (there were also plenty of superior options in close proximity). Hopefully it and its vast parking lot are destroyed for a new urban mixed-use development... and a grocery component would be nice... just not that particular Shur-Save.
Fuck no! I park in that parking lot when I go out for drinks in Bloomfield. Don't mess this up for me dude!

Plus I go to there to get my Turner's ice tea and hoagie with jumbo and ham for lunch.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 12:32 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Plus I go to there to get my Turner's ice tea and hoagie with jumbo and ham for lunch.
Why don't you just go to Uni-Mart, "Pittsburgh's MOST robbed convenience store™!"

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 1:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Why don't you just go to Uni-Mart, "Pittsburgh's MOST robbed convenience store™!"
Nah, man. I don't go ta Uni-Mart... they don't carry Turner's, only that Turkey Hill shit from eastern PA bullshit. Plus, ya know the chick behind the register ere n at got herpes n shit. Instead the chick at Shur-Save behind the deli case n at got big tits that you can even tell through her Roethlisberger jersey. She takes time wit da hoagies and only has 1 kid.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 1:17 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Nah, man. I don't go ta Uni-Mart... they don't carry Turner's, only that Turkey Hill shit from eastern PA bullshit. Plus, ya know the chick behind the register ere n at got herpes n shit. Instead the chick at Shur-Save behind the deli case n at got big tits that you can even tell through her Roethlisberger jersey. She takes time wit da hoagies and only has 1 kid.
You were checking out her Jumbo's? Well, just make sure to wear a gumband when you get into her chipped ham.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 1:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
You were checking out her Jumbo's? Well, just make sure to wear a gumband when you get into her chipped ham.
Ewwwww!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 2:33 PM

A lot more residential units coming to the Strip. Hoping the design turns out well.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201412180265

Quote:
Cleveland developer teams with Buncher for Strip District housing
December 18, 2014 9:23 AM
By Mark Belko / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A Cleveland developer is teaming with the Buncher Co. to build 800 residential units in the Strip District as part of Buncher's Riverfront Landing development.

In the first phase, NPR Group LLC will develop a 400-unit apartment complex along the Allegheny riverfront trail, with construction expected to begin next fall and initial units to be completed in spring 2017.

The complex will feature studio and one-, two-, and three-bedroom units. They will include two-story townhouses and penthouse lofts, offering views of the Downtown skyline and the river.

Other amenities will include integral enclosed and accessible parking for residents, a resident bike shop, bike and kayak storage and lockers, and an enhanced river walk. The development will be built off Waterfront Drive, the new road being constructed by Buncher through its property off Smallman Street in the Strip.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 2:38 PM
JasonInPGH

Interesting news from Buncher.

Quote:
Cleveland developer teams with Buncher for Strip District housing

By Mark Belko / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
A Cleveland developer is teaming with the Buncher Co. to build 800 residential units in the Strip District as part of Buncher's Riverfront Landing development.

In the first phase, NRP Group LLC will develop a 400-unit apartment complex along the Allegheny riverfront trail, with construction expected to begin next fall and initial units to be completed in spring 2017.

The complex will feature studio and one-, two-, and three-bedroom units. They will include two-story townhouses and penthouse lofts, offering views of the Downtown skyline and the river. http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201412180265
Not sure what to think about this, NRP has done some good work in the past, but hopefully Buncher will feel the need to increase the height of their buildings past the 4-6 stories we saw in the PLDP.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 3:19 PM
BANNED

Pretty cool

http://gigapan.com/gigapans/166353

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/busine...761d-144777609

Evoking a total Pittsburgh state of mind, a new nighttime panoramic photo called “Pittsburgh Nocturne” ranks as the largest ever taken of the Golden Triangle.

Part of the High Point Pittsburgh Project, the zoomable 18.66 megapixel photo can be seen on The Pittsburgh Gigapanorama project website. It was taken by photographer James Albright and is best viewed on a full screen or large monitor where viewers can zoom in to a point where they can clearly read the traffic signs to the North Shore, see chairs in the Wyndham’s lobby or even (if they really want to) count the lights on the Point’s Christmas tree.

Shot on November 25 from a balcony on the 17th floor of Mt. Washington’s Trimont Condominiums, the photo is 280,520-by-66,504 pixels high—a full scale print would measure 78-by-185-feet, says David Bear, director of the High Point Pittsburgh Project and fellow at the Studio for Creative Inquiry at Carnegie Mellon University.

http://gigapanorama.org/?page_id=688

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 3:23 PM

Digging @ 3 Crossings.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone7281 View Post
Digging @ 3 Crossings.
When did 3 Crossings go to the Planning Commission? I don't remember seeing there presentation posted online.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 4:27 PM

Some more articles on the NRP/Buncher announcement (obviously all drawing from the same press release):

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg....html?page=all

Quote:
NRP Group LLC, a national multifamily developer based in suburban Cleveland, will build 800 apartments at The Buncher Co.'s $400 million Riverfront Landing development in the Strip District, the company announced. . . . NRP, which is finishing up the 319-unit Ascent 430 apartment complex in Warrendale, indicated it will pursue a 400-unit first phase project along the Three Rivers Heritage Trail that is expected to begin construction in the fall of 2015. It is scheduled to begin delivering units in the spring of 2017.
http://www.crainscleveland.com/artic...FREE/141219839

Quote:
The NRP Group LLC of Cleveland said it has formed a partnership with Pittsburgh-based The Buncher Co. to build a “luxury multifamily apartment community” on two riverfront parcels in Pittsburgh’s Strip District. The deal initially will involve “$100 million in additional investment” into Buncher’s Riverfront Landing development, NRP Group said in a news release. Specific financial terms of the partnership were not disclosed. NRP Group said it will develop a 400-unit apartment community along the Three Rivers Heritage Trail.
I think the most hopeful interpretation of all this is the following. There are really four parcels behind the Produce Terminal along the riverfront trail, as seen here (although we know this is an outdated document at this point since the Produce Terminal is going to remain full length):

Taken together, the articles seem to be suggesting NRP has signed up to do 800 apartments on two parcels, and is starting with 400 apartments in the first phase, which would then presumably be on one parcel. This would square with the apparent math--if the first 400 apartments alone cost $100 million, and the whole thing is supposed to be $400 million, then ultimately we should be talking about 1600 total units (400 per parcel, at around $100 million per building).

And 400 apartments on just one of those parcels sounds pretty good to me! For comparison, originally Buncher had committed to only one 75 unit project as part of the now-dead Produce Terminal deal:

http://www.phlf.org/2010/12/15/bunch...inal-building/

I'm not sure what that will work out to in terms of height, but that's got to be well above minimums.

However, it is not perfectly clear to me that it is 800 units over two parcels, or instead maybe 400 units over two parcels, with the other 400 units to come on the next two parcels That would obviously be relatively disappointing, although again still much more than originally promised (approximately three times as much, going from 75 units a parcel to 200 or so). Note in this case the $400 million couldn't be referring to just the apartments along the riverfront trail behind the Produce Terminal, but Buncher does have more planned for many additional sites west of there.

Last edited by BrianTH; Dec 18, 2014 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 5:05 PM

Some quick guesstimation. "The Yards" at Three Crossing takes up a parcel at least about 50% bigger than one of the four parcels in question (maybe more since Railroad is farther back from the river at that point, although they also seem to be allowing for a generous setback from the river):

The Yards is 300 units over five residential stories, plus an additional base level for parking, amenities, and such I believe. So about 60 units per residential story, which is 50% more than 40 units per story. 400 units at 40 units per story would be ten stories, plus again a base level or two. So I'd guesstimate a 400-unit building on just one of the Buncher parcels might be in the 10-12 story range.

Again, that may be off by a factor of 2 if it is only 200 units per parcel (meaning it would be pretty much the same scale as "The Yards"). But again the budget makes sense the first way--Oxford is saying Three Crossings is in general a $130M project, which includes the office portions. So those 300 units separately probably come in a significant amount under $100M, such that it would make sense for a 400-unit taller-but-narrower building to be at around $100M, and four such buildings to be $400M.

All this will be clarified soon enough, of course.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 6:11 PM

Seeing all of these renderings back-to-back for the different Strip projects is making me realize how generic this all might look. I think this is really the first time in Pittsburgh's history where a sea of cube buildings takes over many blocks at a time. I hope I'm wrong and it all turns out ok. Getting some serious Denver vibes from all of this, and I don't love that.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Seeing all of these renderings back-to-back for the different Strip projects is making me realize how generic this all might look. I think this is really the first time in Pittsburgh's history where a sea of cube buildings takes over many blocks at a time. I hope I'm wrong and it all turns out ok. Getting some serious Denver vibes from all of this, and I don't love that.
A sea of rust, cream, and gray colored cube buildings no less...

BTW, was a city zoning ordinance passed that requires all new residential construction be these colors?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 6:54 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
A sea of rust, cream, and gray colored cube buildings no less...

BTW, was a city zoning ordinance passed that requires all new residential construction be these colors?
Yes, city councilman Wonder approved the colors and design.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 7:32 PM

Also, I think after perusing NRP's site, that Millcraft's 'The Yards' might have moved up to #1 ugliest building in the strip.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 8:13 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

How many units are currently under construction or definitely going forward in the Strip District? I think it's over 1,500.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 8:44 PM
JasonInPGH

Quote:
How many units are currently under construction or definitely going forward in the Strip District? I think it's over 1,500.
1. Buncher - 800 Units
2. Wholey Building - 144 Units
3. Three Crossings - 300 Units
4. Pittsburgh Brass Building Conversion - 14 Units
5. 1100 Smallman - 59 Units

Total: 1317 Units

I consulted my Pittsburgh Development map, if you have any suggestions, please let me know.
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...w.k68uIzHJHFn8

Last edited by SkyPittsburgh; Dec 18, 2014 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPittsburgh View Post
1. Buncher - 800 Units

I consulted my Pittsburgh Development map, if you have any suggestions, please let me know.
Nice. But I think you have the Drury hotel on your map twice.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 9:49 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPittsburgh View Post
1. Buncher - 800 Units

1.) There's also 2500 Smallman (City Homes concept) - 11 units
2.) 25th and Smallman Streets - 38 or 39 units
2419 Smallman St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
"The existing five-story warehouse building located at 25th and Smallman Streets, plus two adjacent properties were purchased in June 2014 with plans to remodel and expand to create 38 or 39 condominium units plus 50 parking spaces. Plans were submitted in July 2014 with construction expected to begin by the end of the year."

And then recently renovated:
- Lot 24 - 96 units
- Cork Factory - 297 units
- Otto Milk - 56
- The Pink Building - 14 units
- The Brake House - 18 units

Possible:
Crucible Apartments (100+)

So:

1,366 under construction/approved
481 recently opened
100+ proposed

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations