HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 4:56 PM

I think you two are missing the point.

The PSB could have been reused even if the entirety of the facade was removed and changed entirely. Aesthetics are not the crucial factor here.

Reusing 1/2 of the building, e.g. the core and structure, or even extending floor plates beyond the original footprint, are all possibilities being put into practice elsewhere. In our lifetime it will be seen as increasingly egregious to dump all that embodied carbon into the landfill.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 5:17 PM
the first stamp is free

The parkade was deteriorated and unsafe - but I agree the PSB building itself could have remediated and re-used. It's major issue was the stone veneer - which isn't a structural component.

All of the steel would have been recycled and the concrete busted up to be used as "clean fill". All of the nasty interior finishes would have been hitting the landfill regardless of whether the building stayed up or came down.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Well in my opinion the demolition of the Public Safety Prison was a crowning achievement for the aesthetics of the Exchange District.

It’s not that I’m completely against Brutalism (the Canadian Grain Commission and Robson Hall bldgs are works of art imo) but man that thing was an eyesore and so depressing to look at next to City Hall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I suppose I'm in the minority here, but I don't miss it. IMO there was nothing terribly attractive about it.
I genuinely liked how it looked. Objectively terrible for human interactions, especially since the parkade wasn't even usable and a police station in a brutalist fortress is the opposite of a neighbourhood-enhancing structure.

But Winnipeg is still suffering through a serious dearth of aesthetically interesting buildings, never mind an iconic period like our weirdly prolific brutalist moment. "Cheapest and best" seems to rear its head far too often, even in large, conspicuous projects. Radical designs get pooh-poohed and scaled down.

I don't know that I miss the actual PSB and its parkade, but I guess I miss the sheer Insanity Wolf approach to architecture Winnipeg had in previous eras. And no, Barcode's hot mess accolade-hunting disasters are not filling the void.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 2:45 AM

Fuck Barcode

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by post_man View Post
I genuinely liked how it looked. Objectively terrible for human interactions, especially since the parkade wasn't even usable and a police station in a brutalist fortress is the opposite of a neighbourhood-enhancing structure.

But Winnipeg is still suffering through a serious dearth of aesthetically interesting buildings, never mind an iconic period like our weirdly prolific brutalist moment. "Cheapest and best" seems to rear its head far too often, even in large, conspicuous projects. Radical designs get pooh-poohed and scaled down.

I don't know that I miss the actual PSB and its parkade, but I guess I miss the sheer Insanity Wolf approach to architecture Winnipeg had in previous eras. And no, Barcode's hot mess accolade-hunting disasters are not filling the void.
I'm no designer or architect but realistically how much would it cost to build some neo-Chicago/Beaux-Arts style buildings considering some of our most beautiful buildings are in the Chicago/Beaux-Arts Style.

Does things like advanced material 3D printing make the ornamentation cheaper and easier going forward in the 21st century? I would love to see some more Ashdown Buildings and Confederation Buildings springing up in relevant areas, like on surface lots in the Exchange.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 3:07 AM

Moarrrr briiiiick

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Moarrrr briiiiick
It looks nice and since the options seems to be Hardie board or Barcode abominations against God, I'll take the brick haha.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 3:09 AM

In other news I am going to work on constructing the St Boniface ER Expansion, so hopefully there will be some good photos I can snap over the next year

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 5:30 AM

Quote:
In other news I am going to work on constructing the St Boniface ER Expansion, so hopefully there will be some good photos I can snap over the next year
Seems like its coming along nicely! Whens the projected complete date?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 5:48 AM

Don’t know anything yet. Just got headhunted last week so won’t know til my boots are on the slab. Will report!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 2:57 AM
Great White Norf

Hey guys/Winnipeggers,

I just thought you'd might like to say some positive, kind, hopeful words to one of your fellow Winnipeggers and fellow Canadian forumer, thurmas. I'm sure he'd like to hear from any of you.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=256873

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 7:32 PM

Some photos of the early work on 300 Tuxedo. The crane was running today.

https://imgur.com/DjKkY1w

https://imgur.com/HQTUUNe

https://imgur.com/IcNkwGX

Sorry the photos aren't embedded, I couldn't figure how to make it work.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 9:03 PM

“Early work” lol this thing has been ongoing for like 2 years now. Thanks for the shots!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 10:29 PM

Quote:
“Early work” lol this thing has been ongoing for like 2 years now. Thanks for the shots!
To my untrained eye I though they started like 6-8 months ago...well shit haha.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 8:41 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I thought some of you building types might be interested in this. I know the fellow putting this on.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/reg...uK6v0176cLfzwg

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
I'm no designer or architect but realistically how much would it cost to build some neo-Chicago/Beaux-Arts style buildings considering some of our most beautiful buildings are in the Chicago/Beaux-Arts Style.

Does things like advanced material 3D printing make the ornamentation cheaper and easier going forward in the 21st century? I would love to see some more Ashdown Buildings and Confederation Buildings springing up in relevant areas, like on surface lots in the Exchange.
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM689EUrj/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Man, I get any infill I'd better than nothing but especially in places like the exchange that aesthetics were taken into consideration when building new buildings. How hard would it be to put some cornices on the roof when building a box?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 3:46 PM

If any of you guys are into architectural revival stuff, then this is the YouTube channel for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9PScONCSo

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
If any of you guys are into architectural revival stuff, then this is the YouTube channel for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9PScONCSo
That channel has some cool stuff. I wish we would lean into our rich architectural past in Winnipeg more when building new buildings. One benefit of our Chicago-style/Romanesque-revival architecture is that it really isn't that complex, it's just some minor ornamentation with quality cladding and lots of windows imo. It should be pretty easy to recreate and I think the bankrupt development on St Mary would have been a great revival of one of our finest architectural traditions. The Beaux Arts is probably gone forever due to cost, which is lamentable to me at least.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 9:58 PM

820 Taylor - former MB Hydro HQ - wonder what there plans are?

Kinosai Sipi Business Development Corporation (KSBC) on the purchase of 820 Taylor Avenue. The property is approximately 206,000 square feet on 9 acres of prime land in southwest Winnipeg. KSBC is the development arm of Norway House Cree Nation.

We wish to acknowledge our client, Manitoba Hydro, and thank them for putting their trust in Capital for the successful disposition of their former head office location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan