HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 4:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I agree with you in as such further study could end up being just a delaying tactic to prevent things from getting done, but I am under no illusions that the feds are going to cough up $40-50M tomorrow, so we have some time to try and figure out why this single engineering study was at such odds compared to the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
All of the science has been indicating that a naturalised river will become a better watershed and actually protect against flooding because there is more available area for larger volumes of water, during instances of torrential rains.
A wider river will certainly be better able to handle inundations due to major rainfall events. We should see less flooding of the causeway traffic circle for example.

Another concern however (for a tidal river like the Petitcodiac) is flooding due to coastal storms with significant storm surge. I think this is less easy to predict. My hunch is that a wider river could deliver more flood water to the upper reaches of the Petitcodiac under extreme tidal conditions. This could put significant infrastructure (like Champlain Place) at risk. I wonder how much study has gone into the consequences of a fully restored river given a once in a century storm surge event like the Saxby Gale?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I agree with you in as such further study could end up being just a delaying tactic to prevent things from getting done, but I am under no illusions that the feds are going to cough up $40-50M tomorrow, so we have some time to try and figure out why this single engineering study was at such odds compared to the others.
Being Synical: Depends on who paid for this one secret study

Quote:
A wider river will certainly be better able to handle inundations due to major rainfall events. We should see less flooding of the causeway traffic circle for example.

Another concern however (for a tidal river like the Petitcodiac) is flooding due to coastal storms with significant storm surge. I think this is less easy to predict. My hunch is that a wider river could deliver more flood water to the upper reaches of the Petitcodiac under extreme tidal conditions. This could put significant infrastructure (like Champlain Place) at risk. I wonder how much study has gone into the consequences of a fully restored river given a once in a century storm surge event like the Saxby Gale?
I don't think that should be a legitimate concern...with the causeway gone, the flow of the river will be more free flowing and allow for greater disperal of the tidal flow (less of the current bottleneck).

As far as the study saying they want to 'dredge'...yes, they do...but not as described in the previous post. Once the removal of the Causeway occurs and the bridge built the plan intended for the dredging and widening of the 'opening' where the gates occur to more directly coincide with the size of the river on the downriver side of the gates. I've viewed the official plan many times and never did it show any plan to dredge a more 'central' path for the river and away from the banks in Riverview.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 7:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
As far as the study saying they want to 'dredge'...yes, they do...but not as described in the previous post. Once the removal of the Causeway occurs and the bridge built the plan intended for the dredging and widening of the 'opening' where the gates occur to more directly coincide with the size of the river on the downriver side of the gates. I've viewed the official plan many times and never did it show any plan to dredge a more 'central' path for the river and away from the banks in Riverview.
Well that's good to know. Thanks for that. Simply widening the current channel makes a lot more sense in any event.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 8:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
I don't think that should be a legitimate concern...with the causeway gone, the flow of the river will be more free flowing and allow for greater disperal of the tidal flow (less of the current bottleneck).
Agreed.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:37 PM

Forget a bridge for at least a few years.

http://www.news919.com/2013/02/05/re...ity-mp-goguen/

Removing causeway not top priority: MP Goguen
Says purifying river more important
Allan Dearing
Feb 5, 2013 04:38:51 PM

Quote:
MONCTON, N.B. – Moncton and Dieppe have all passed motions to lobby the federal government to remove the Riverview causeway and replace it with a bridge.

Riverview is studying the matter.

But Greater Moncton MP Robert Goguen says although he supports a health Petitcodiac River, he doesn’t see it as a priority.

“How does widening the fishway from 100 metres to 146 metres become an immediate urgency in the lives of each and every person in Greater Moncton?”

He says replacing the causeway with a bridge may not be the best option during these fiscally challenging times, and says an upgrade to the Greater Moncton sewerage plant might be better for the river in the long run.
In other words: "Harper doesn't even know I exist, so I'm going to pretend that I never said I'd work on getting money from Ottawa." I don't want to start a political debate, but with a useless MP like him, we might as well not have one at all.

And on another note: I hate to copy full articles from News 91.9, but they're so concise that there's nothing to strip out.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 11:47 PM

Well, that guy just lost his seat!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 12:59 AM
ハルウララ

So everyone here is agreed that the river is more important than the events center, or anything else currently on the books?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 2:45 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
So everyone here is agreed that the river is more important than the events center, or anything else currently on the books?
Nope, I didn't say that.....

If the feds dropped $50M in our laps tomorrow and said we could do anything with it that we wanted, I would absolutely put it towards the events centre. The greatest economic impact to the city would certainly occur with this investment.

MP Goguen's comments regarding the upgrades to the sewerage system also have merit. I believe federal standards in sewage treatment are changing and that an extra investment here will be necessary in order for Moncton to remain current.

This however does not obviate the importance of maximizing river restoration. I fear however that with everything else going on that the Petitcodiac will be forgotten. This is unfortunate but may be a fiscal and political reality. There is only so much money to go around.......

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 4:22 PM

Petitcodiac river bridge won’t increase flooding

The project director of a climate change report in the Moncton area wants to clarify that his work never concluded that removing the Petitcodiac River causeway would lead to increased flooding.

Jacques Paynter is a Fredericton-based principal with AMEC Environment and Infrastructure. He was involved in a report that was released to Moncton city council in October which examined climate change factors like precipitation, extreme weather, water levels and more, in offering up suggestions on how to mitigate risk in the long-term future.

“Essentially, in order to conduct the analysis and because we’re dealing with a 100-year time frame, the working hypothesis was made that the tide levels would eventually work to pre-1968 levels, before the causeway was constructed. It’s important to recognize that this is going to happen as long as there is an opening in the causeway, either with the gates open or a bridge,” he said. “Now something that may have people scratching their heads is the report in essence presents some total water levels and some pretty high water levels in the long-term future. Those levels are really a function of, or a consequence of extreme weather conditions, storm surge, high wind, high rain, that kind of stuff. That’s going to happen whether there’s a bridge there or not.

Read more in Today's Times&Transcript

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 6:33 PM

According to this we are sitting at 143,000 in 2012, which is a 2,300 population increase in one year.

This was posted by the user HARLS in the Canada hits 35 million thread.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 7:03 PM

I would also like to point out that Moncton is not drawing from the north as much as people think, lets look at the facts.

-2,300 + increase in 2012
-1,365 minus in the North,
- out of the 1,365 : 376 went out west
84 Nova Scotia
337 Quebec and Ontario
12 PEI
4 NL
9 International

- That's 822 out of 1,365 that leaves us with 543.

Now provincial break down : Fredericton: 45, 25 of which was university reasons.
Saint John: 132, 45 of which moved for University
Moncton: 218, 42 for university.

The final 148 where spread out over smaller areas, like edmunston, sackville, shediac,oromocto etc.

All stats are from Stats Canada and CBC

I think that people have bias and assume that Northern New Brunswickers choose to go to Moncton due to the fact its a bilingual city, but as the stats show they go all over with the largest going to Ontario, Quebec and Western Canada.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 7:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I've tried to correct this misconception before myself. Moncton draws people from elsewhere in NB, from across Canada and internationally. We get a much greater variety of migrants in our city than simply refugees from la peninsule.

So, by your calculations less than 10% of the population growth in the Moncton CMA is due to northern migration. This is less than even I thought. I was under the apprehension that it was 25-30%.

Your figures are from StatsCan, correct?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 7:17 PM

Yup statscan 2012, I will post all the links when I get a chance, I have been working on this for about Month now collecting the stats. Also using CBC articles on the North and the CBC maps that show where the loss was and how much. A lot of the loss was people moving to Universities in Nova Scotia, Quebec (Mostly Montreal) and Ontario ( Ottawa - Gatineau) and other parts of NB, the loss that was out west was mostly to place like Fort Mac, Calgary, Grand Prairie and Saskatchewan ( Oil, Potash etc.)

Between 2000- 2005 we gained 1565 from the North according to a study done by Kevin Silliker. Good example, my friend owns a few apartments in the Sunny Brae area and housing rentals and her tenants are 50% percent Haitian and 50% Quebec, also she said most of the tenants are living in these units 365 days, not just renting for the school year. There is about 50 students total. I have a feeling even if the North migration slows, we will still see 500- 1,500 person increase each year to every couple of years.

Last edited by Monctoncore; Feb 6, 2013 at 7:37 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 7:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Also, with the 2012 population estimate of 143,000 in the Moncton CMA, we have now officially surpassed Guelph and we are now the 28th largest CMA in the country.

Assuming a constant growth rate (and this has been the case for at least the last 5 years), Moncton will surpass 145,000 in 2013 and should be 150,000 by 2015.......

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Assuming a constant growth rate (and this has been the case for at least the last 5 years), Moncton will surpass 145,000 in 2013 and should be 150,000 by 2015.......
Which is why we need no less then a 10,000 seat downtown arena!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Also, with the 2012 population estimate of 143,000 in the Moncton CMA, we have now officially surpassed Guelph and we are now the 28th largest CMA in the country.

Looking good, Moncton!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 8:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Which is why we need no less then a 10,000 seat downtown arena!
+1

City council please note........

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 8:51 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Saguenay and Trois Rivieres aren't far off either. We'll likely pass both in the next five years or so.

EDIT: Especially if we were to pick up Shediac into the Moncton CMA. We'd get a 6k bump overnight.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 9:58 PM

I don't know why Shediac isn't part of the Moncton CMA... Sackville is and its a lot farther than Shediac...

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 10:15 PM

Does anyone know of a "Kent" distribution centre being built in Moncton? I caught the last bit of the news on cbc radio on my way home and apparently Irving will be hiring 2700 people over the next two years. Positions will range from trades people to retail. They also mentioned that they will be hiring for the distribution centre that was currently under construction in Moncton.

Last edited by ithree; Feb 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces