HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Yeah 10 years ago huge advances replacing all truck drivers and cashiers were imminent. Now both are growing occupations. No AI yet driving trucks and automated cashiers moving backwards and being ripped out of many locations.

Prediciting the future is very hard to do.

We will need workers for a long time. Should we hire our own students or hire fake students seems like an obvious decision. Record high levels of unemployment among Canadian students is an appaling statistic.
It's kind of comedic how we've been saying "everyone's job is going to get replaced" for the past... let me check... 300 years.

But remember, this time is different!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah 10 years ago huge advances replacing all truck drivers and cashiers were imminent. Now both are growing occupations. No AI yet driving trucks and automated cashiers moving backwards and being ripped out of many locations.

Prediciting the future is very hard to do.

We will need workers for a long time. Should we hire our own students or hire fake students seems like an obvious decision. Record high levels of unemployment among Canadian students is an appaling statistic.
Yep exactly. Cashier and to a certain extent delivery/truck driver will always be unskilled labour. I'd always recommend young people pick up a skilled trade or other training based job for more money. Whether or not that unskilled job will exist in 5-10-20 years.

Anything related to home building or healthcare seems like a no brainer.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 10:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
It's kind of comedic how we've been saying "everyone's job is going to get replaced" for the past... let me check... 300 years.

But remember, this time is different!
Almost every worker from 300 years ago would be obsolete today. A few hundred years ago most of the workforce was farm workers and now they're a small percentage. There have been many other cycles like this with resource extraction, heavy industry, and so on.

I tend to think we are bad at innovating in Canada. Cheap imported labour is probably a factor behind this. The real purchasing power and standard of living of a cashier worker in downtown Toronto is very low, but people will accept that because their alternative is to go back to a third world country. And those grocery chains are oligopolies so they're not as pressured to change. I believe this is a major factor behind our poor productivity.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 11:36 PM

For those skeptical that student numbers will not decline....

Quote:
Universities in Atlantic Canada worried about big drop expected in foreign students

HALIFAX - With just over one month before the beginning of the school year, universities in Atlantic Canada are worried about the expected big drop in foreign student enrolment due to caps imposed by the federal government.

In Nova Scotia, the province has so far accepted less than 4,000 international students for the upcoming year, down from last year's 19,900 foreign students.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/universi...ents-1.6984333

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 12:55 AM

When tasks get replaced by technology it frees people up to do more productive things that they previously didn't have time for.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 12:57 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
For those skeptical that student numbers will not decline....

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/universi...ents-1.6984333
However will CBU ever survive???

I mean, there goes 90% of their enrollment.

Dave Dingwall must be soiling himself in fear..........

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
However will CBU ever survive???

I mean, there goes 90% of their enrollment.

Dave Dingwall must be soiling himself in fear..........
Will Cape Breton survive. The only thing propping up the Islands economy has been the CBU puppy mill, Provincial construction projects and Golf Tourism on the West Island. The Ontario expat wave has not quite hit C.B.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 3:24 AM

Quote:
We certainly don't have to make them PRs just because it's hard to deport them. Many will return rather than be illegal and at least illegal low skilled workers don't suck up welfare, healthcare and OAS within a few years. Though I guess we actually provide a lot of those to our illegals anyway. Certainly healthcare though perhaps we'd crack down a bit should the number skyrocket.

I guess all the issues that arise from that might be worse than a one time granting of PR to this surge as long as we slow drastically the intake of temporary workers and eliminate completely fake students goign forward.
To qualify for OAS you need a minimum of 10 years of residence in Canada but you are getting 25% of the full amount. And to get the full amount you need 40 years of residency. But once you get the 10 years you are eligible for GIS if you previous year's income was low enough.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
To qualify for OAS you need a minimum of 10 years of residence in Canada but you are getting 25% of the full amount. And to get the full amount you need 40 years of residency. But once you get the 10 years you are eligible for GIS if you previous year's income was low enough.
I think the other key factor that gets overlooked is that the temporary foreign workers and temporary students pay into CPP and they pay income and sales tax and EI premiums the same as everyone else.

I am not certain why anyone would be upset with them getting benefits they have paid into.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I think the other key factor that gets overlooked is that the temporary foreign workers and temporary students pay into CPP and they pay income and sales tax and EI premiums the same as everyone else.

I am not certain why anyone would be upset with them getting benefits they have paid into.
I think you know the answer to this. It is the secondary damage the unplanned immigration wave has done to the economy.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 6:07 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
I think the other key factor that gets overlooked is that the temporary foreign workers and temporary students pay into CPP and they pay income ... and EI premiums the same as everyone else.
Is this true for "gig" jobs like food delivery?

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Curious.....................have any of you guys heard anything about the Liberals & NDP working together as I have online and in a couple Youtube videos. I am NOT talking about any kind of merger between the parties but rather a more strategic alliance.

Basically every polling agency has shown that the Tories are in the 40% to 42% range and have been for the better part of a year. With PP being pro-choice, supporting SSM, married to a immigrant, and having a gay father means that the tried and true Liberal strategy of painting the Tories as "dangerous" isn't going to work this time. In other words the traditional ABC vote isn't going to come to Trudeau's rescue.

I have heard nothing of a merger but have of a strategic alliance. Basically, if one party is polling at, for example, 15% or below in a particular riding, the party does not run a candidate so as to not split the ABC vote. Elections are not decided in rural Alberta, Vancouver East, or the West Island but rather those key swing ridings. This could be very advantageous for the Liberals & NDP as they are basically of one mind now so nearly all votes for either of those parties would go right to the other with basically none going to the Tories. It would have financial benefits as well as Liberal party funding is quite slow and the NDP are essentially broke so it means they could be more riding specific to where those limited funds go.

I would never have thought the Liberals would consider such a thing but with a man as power hungry as Trudeau, I wouldn't put anything past him.
Put this post up 5 pages ago and kind of surprised no one has commented. What do you guys think?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Is this true for "gig" jobs like food delivery?
Assuming Uber eats is like any other self employed employee. Yes, you have to pay income tax.

You have to pay the employee and employer contribution for CPP. I think it kicks in when your above $3.5k of earning in a year.

EI is a bit more tricky there is ways of getting out of it. But it you do, then you don't qualify for the benefits.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Put this post up 5 pages ago and kind of surprised no one has commented. What do you guys think?
I'd be sceptical. At most, I could see them joining forces to bring down a Conservative minority, but then they'd need to deal with the public fallout. In any event, for the time being it looks like our next government will have a Conservative majority.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 12:31 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
I'd see a merger before this ... and I expect the Leafs to win the Cup before I'd see that merger.

I don't expect anyone in the LPC executive would even listen to this option as it would imply that they were no longer a national party and that they are definitely "scared" of the Conservatives. It would kill their reason for being.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 3:31 PM

Quote:
That type of plan would need serious buyin from local riding associations. From both partys. Very difficult thing to weave together. I could see it in some downtown MTV ridings where they think the Conservatives would be a cats and dogs living together situation but those folks live on a different Planet anyway.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 3:44 PM

Quote:

Just because you pay into something doesn't make you eligible. Students can't collect EI for example. Certainly if they later become illegall there is no need for us to pay them CPP even if they pay CPP on this illegal income.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 3:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The alleged Lib-NDP plan sounds a bit similar to what the various French parties to the left of the Rassemblement National just did in order to try and stop them from taking power.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The alleged Lib-NDP plan sounds a bit similar to what the various French parties to the left of the Rassemblement National just did in order to try and stop them from taking power.
Well they had the advantage of a second round so who should drop out was based on actual voting. It's hard to see it working in Canada as a lot of NDP voters wouldn't follow over to a Liberal candidate and a lot of soft Liberals might flee to the Conservatives because of the whole stench of the process so Cons end up at 45%+.

The Liberals seemed very resigned to their fate and don't seem like they are ready to try anything unorthodox to turn it around.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 4:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Well they had the advantage of a second round so who should drop out was based on actual voting. It's hard to see it working in Canada as a lot of NDP voters wouldn't follow over to a Liberal candidate and a lot of soft Liberals might flee to the Conservatives because of the whole stench of the process so Cons end up at 45%+..
Agreed. Such a move by the Liberals speaks of political desperation. Left wind Liberals might go for it, but, for Blue Liberals, this could be the last straw. All they would see is a strengthening of the Liberal drift towards the left. They might very well say "screw this, I'll swallow my pride and vote for PP rather than Singh).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada