HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 7:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Why? They have more than enough domestic acts, and more than enough money and support to go after larger audiences. That's just the unfortunate reality of Canada and the Canadian military compared to the Americans.

Canada is not sponsoring any war films featuring CF-18s or Leopard 2s anytime soon, I'll say that much.
Canadian "acts" in any number of cultural fields, who are all starving for support and visibility, would like to say hi!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Perhaps you can provide an example where the American military sponsored a foreign musical act to promote American culture.
I forget the details but they gave some kind of resources to Canadian owned Ubisoft making a game as a recruitment tool since American kids were going to consume the game. This is a Canadian concert so the audience are Canadians or at least residents. As Truenorth says this is absolutely nothing new even if a bit edgier and they probably didn't participate as you don't have control over exactly how the act behaves rather than some idealogical opposition to such events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Canadian "acts" in any number of cultural fields, who are all starving for support and visibility, would like to say hi!
It's not what they can do for the cultural acts it's about exposure to their audience. Not sure the ballets, symphony or theatre across Canada are their target audience. Unless we are going to recruit soldiers post retirement. Hopefully things haven't gotten that bad. Though lots of older soldiers in Ukraine showing you can do a lot above current age maximums in modern warfare.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
> US military provides an entire air wing of jets and crew plus filming access to the USS Enterprise for Top Gun

"America, fuck yeah!"

> Canadian military has 100 soldiers stand during a stage show for an Indian pop star

"Is this really the best use of our resources?"
The original Top Gun was renowned not just for the depth and sensitivity of Tom Cruise's performance but also as a recruitment booster for the US armed forces. So much so, that they put recruitment officers in some movie theatres for the sequel.

....So recruiters are offering bigger bonuses and other incentives to those who sign up. And they are seizing on the boost that Hollywood may offer – such as the buzz over the sequel to the 1986 hit “Top Gun.”

“When the original ‘Top Gun’ was released, the Navy and Air Force received a pretty good recruiting bump,” said Maj. Gen. Edward Thomas, head of Air Force Recruiting Service. “Frankly, we hope people get excited all over again about what we do. Whether they want to aim high or fly Navy, we just want them to come join us. We want them to be excited about military service.”...

... Air Force Sgt. Eric Way did just that at the Regal Cinema in Waterford, Connecticut, during the premiere of “Top Gun: Maverick.” Standing in the lobby, surrounded by Air Force swag and banners, he captured the attention of a 22-year-old from Old Lyme, who later told him the movie convinced him that he should enlist.

Air Force Senior Master Sgt. Gervacio Maldonado, who helped organize the New England recruiting campaign centered on the movie’s premiere, said recruiters spoke to the young man before the film and gave him social media information to contact them later....

https://apnews.com/article/navy-air-...e3d1e70353b108

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'tit Renard View Post
How can you even tie the two together it's completely nonsensical. Top Gun is an American production that projects American culture and power.

Diljit Dosanjh is a 100% foreign superstar that has no direct ties to Canada nor Canadian culture, and does not project Canadian culture or power.
The relevant ties to Canada were among the 52,000 spectators, obviously.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
Aren't these the same people that Pierre is busy courting favour with? Diagolon - X is full of audio clips of the white nationalist event and very scary crowd reactions.

Until the Conservative Party disassociates with this very scary group and stops having photo-ops with their leaders - I'm not interested...

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...olon-in-ottawa
All you are missing is a picture of you clutching your Pearls. The RCMP have deemed them what they are, Rural N.S. Knuckleheads. God get out of Ottawa sometime and drive up the Ottawa valley.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 11:51 PM

Canada currently has some of the highest grossing pop stars on earth. But apparently we don’t have enough cultural acts for our military to support. Lol

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Canada currently has some of the highest grossing pop stars on earth. But apparently we don’t have enough cultural acts for our military to support. Lol
First: The cultural act has to be able to use the military.
Second: The cultural act has to want the support of the military.
Third: The cultural act has to showcase the military in a positive light.

Something tells me the average Bublé or Drake show doesn't exactly meet those points. Lol.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 1:34 AM

A month or so ago, on a last minute whim, my wife and I decided to go to a concert of one of our favourite 90's country acts, Brooks and Dunn. Their finale song is called Only In America. Now, it's quite often funny when US musicians do a big patriotic song in Canada and feel they have to tailor it to us a bit (I think of Toby Keith's Courtesy Of the Red White And Blue that he altered the words for us, but at least he did give several mentions in his show of the Canadian military in the war on terror and his personal appreciation for that).

Anyway, this song B&D does, they take the opportunity to bring some local military up on stage to be recognized, and the show this night in London was no different. Middle of the song, we see 3 Navy officers march up on stage, the backdrop flips to the Canadian flag and red and white streamers shoot out. Naturally, at this point they changed the words in the hook to "Only in America, where we dream in red and white". I thought this was a cool thing to do. Just thought I would drop that in here given the conversation earlier.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Middle of the song, we see 3 Navy officers march up on stage, the backdrop flips to the Canadian flag and red and white streamers shoot out. Naturally, at this point they changed the words in the hook to "Only in America, where we dream in red and white". I thought this was a cool thing to do. Just thought I would drop that in here given the conversation earlier.
Very cool; I'd assume that they'd have to have the permission of the military to be on stage in naval uniform.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 6:27 AM
Beer me Captain

The more one reads about the LPC's immigration fuck up, the more epic it appears. IMHO, this is perhaps the biggest negative thing done to Canada in recent times.
Quote:
Ottawa has to do something about immigration boom, but it doesn’t have any good options

Let’s look at the conundrum Marc Miller faces. The Immigration Minister must choose between bad policy and disaster.
The ugliest of those options could involve building an immigration-enforcement machine to deport large numbers of people, as the United States does.
To avoid that, the Liberal government will probably settle for bad immigration policy: permanently admitting more of the lower-skilled immigrants who are already here as temporary residents and rejecting more of the brightest prospects.
The government has adjusted visa rules for students and temporary workers, and will again, but it’s not easy to cut big numbers quickly without altering the terms of visas that have already been issued.
The problem is that means turning the goals of Canada’s economic immigration program upside down.
It is supposed to bring in people with the best potential to help Canada’s economy – highly educated or highly skilled applicants. But in recent years, the big growth in international students has come in private and public college students, with less education and fewer skills. Turning large numbers of temporary residents into permanent residents means accepting lower-skilled applicants.
LINK

But hey, a large fleet of Uber food delivery drivers could be something to be proud of! What a legacy!!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 7:22 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
The equivalent for the Liberals would be to bring up abortion. Perhaps they are waiting until the actual election to drive that wedge.
Or use really inappropriate times to try and score a "polictical win". The LPC are really becoming a caracture of past glory ...
Quote:
Witness who stormed out of House committee in tears demands apology from Liberal MP

A witness who stormed out of a parliamentary committee meeting in tears Wednesday is demanding an apology from a Liberal MP who put a halt to a planned discussion about violence against women in favour of a debate about abortion rights.

Cait Alexander was on Parliament Hill to provide testimony at a rare summer hearing of the House of Commons status of women committee when she says Liberal MP Anita Vandenbeld re-victimized her as a survivor of domestic violence.
It began when Vandenbeld was given the floor to ask questions of the witnesses.

She gave a short statement about how much she cared about survivors’ stories, and outlined some of the actions the federal government has taken to address violence against women.
Instead of pivoting back to the topic at hand, Vandenbeld went on to call for a debate on a motion related to abortion rights – an issue Liberals have tried to pin the Conservatives down on for months.
“This is the problem. Did she listen to anything that was said this morning?” said another witness, Megan Walker, who lives in London and advocates to end male violence against women.
Not long after that, Alexander stormed out of the room in tears. Walker turned her back on the committee and followed.
Conservative MP Michelle Ferreri lambasted Vandenbeld for derailing the meeting, and said the victims came to testify in order to bring about “legitimate change.”
Alexander said afterward the entire ordeal was retraumatizing and that the committee’s actions are “exactly the type of behaviour that has allowed my abuser to go free.” While abortion is a “serious issue” deserving of attention, she described the antics of the committee, and Vandenbeld, as “abusive,” and accused the Liberal of trying to use her trauma for political gain.

“It’s so utterly disrespectful, inhumane and honestly just unkind to not allow us to continue a healthy conversation on what was supposed to be discussed, and the audacity to do something like that,” she said.
"The Liberals pulled this heartless stunt to cover for the prime minister whose reckless policies have unleashed a crime wave across Canada that disproportionately affects women and vulnerable groups.”
LINK

Last edited by shreddog; Aug 1, 2024 at 8:17 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 11:12 AM

A vivid example of why backbenchers are backbenchers.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 11:22 AM

The RCMP has arrested a father-son duo planning an ISIS inspired axe and machete attack "against a specific community".

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/fat...rcmp-1.6984267

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 12:30 PM
video et taceo

Is it true there is no Zyn in Canada?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/zyn-po...nada-1.6923558

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
The more one reads about the LPC's immigration fuck up, the more epic it appears. IMHO, this is perhaps the biggest negative thing done to Canada in recent times.

LINK

But hey, a large fleet of Uber food delivery drivers could be something to be proud of! What a legacy!!
I would disagree with the premise of the article.

The US has an illegal immigration problem. People who have entered the US illegally that have never had any legal standing to be their in the first place. They are basically criminals. Heavy handed enforcement is a more reasonable response.

In the case of Canada we are talking about people who have come here legally as temporary students/workers. If they have integrated into Canadian society are working, supporting themselves, contributing to society we should just give them permanent status and move on. Who cares if they are doing Uber delivery to put food on the table. It is a legal honest job.

If we need less uber drivers and more engineers going forward, then yes, lets change the rules on new applicants to Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Or use really inappropriate times to try and score a "polictical win". The LPC are really becoming a caracture of past glory ...
LINK
Yes. Liberal and Conservative back benchers play silly games. As in this case.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 12:45 PM

Quote:

The US has an illegal immigration problem. People who have entered the US illegally that have never had any legal standing to be their in the first place. They are basically criminals. Heavy handed enforcement is a more reasonable response.

In the case of Canada we are talking about people who have come here legally as temporary students/workers. If they have integrated into Canadian society are working, supporting themselves, contributing to society we should just give them permanent status and move on. Who cares if they are doing Uber delivery to put food on the table. It is a legal honest job.

If we need less uber drivers and more engineers going forward, then yes, lets change the rules on new applicants to Canada.

I think temporary is the key word here. The students should be here for the length of their program (plus 3 months I think). These are not permanent immigration programs and it makes little sense to try to turn people here on temporary programs into permanent residents unless they qualify for some other program.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 12:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
A month or so ago, on a last minute whim, my wife and I decided to go to a concert of one of our favourite 90's country acts, Brooks and Dunn. Their finale song is called Only In America. Now, it's quite often funny when US musicians do a big patriotic song in Canada and feel they have to tailor it to us a bit (I think of Toby Keith's Courtesy Of the Red White And Blue that he altered the words for us, but at least he did give several mentions in his show of the Canadian military in the war on terror and his personal appreciation for that).

Anyway, this song B&D does, they take the opportunity to bring some local military up on stage to be recognized, and the show this night in London was no different. Middle of the song, we see 3 Navy officers march up on stage, the backdrop flips to the Canadian flag and red and white streamers shoot out. Naturally, at this point they changed the words in the hook to "Only in America, where we dream in red and white". I thought this was a cool thing to do. Just thought I would drop that in here given the conversation earlier.
Navy guys in London, Ontario?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 1:11 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Yes. Liberal and Conservative back benchers play silly games. As in this case.
Ummm, it was only the Liberal back bencher playing the game here.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 1:12 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
And no one is surprised ....

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 1:31 PM

Quote:

Aren't the majority of illegal immigrants in the USA visa overstays?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada