HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ Even with new, small bricks, they may be just as good of quality or better, but we just can't replicate the natural discoloration and variance that bricks used to have that give them their mosaic look. Everything today is even color or intentionally several bricks of different colors to replicate the subtle color variations caused by old kilns.

I know we can still make small bricks that are probably even higher quality, but they don't have the same aesthetic as the old bricks.
I hear you on that. Gotta love the texture old brick has.

FYI, the technical name to the jumbo bricks you see all about on Chicago infill is called utility size...oversize just like sport utility vehicles.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 9:55 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

via sun-times

Quote:
http://www.pioneerlocal.com/evanston...510-s1.article

Architect floats Evanston marina plan
Comments

August 4, 2010

By BOB SEIDENBERG bseidenberg@pioneerlocal.com

A performing arts center, meeting and convention hall, a new Coast Guard station, theatrical venues galore -- toss in a Barack Obama Presidential Library when the president retires.

Evanston architect Michael Vasilko all but obliterated any citizens' quota for out-of-the-box ideas when he sketched plans for an Evanston Fine Arts and Performing Arts District to members of the city's Economic Development Committee.

Some members of the panel were amazed at the audacity of scope.

Others -- whose constituents live along the lakefront -- were, well, mortified.

Alderman Melissa A. Wynne, 3rd Ward, who heads up the committee, called discussion of the plan a "non-starter," citing the pollution a marina would bring. Wynne's ward includes a portion of the lakefront.

Nonetheless, a number of committee members voted to return to the issue later, at least to see how the city could go about exploring its feasibility..........

The nearly one-million-square-foot development would be located in a land mass at the east end of Church Street under the preliminary proposal.

A marina would be built off the existing boat launch, and just north of the main land mass..........

The committee agreed to discuss the proposal next month. Several members professed admiration at the plan..........
More in link

Last edited by nomarandlee; Aug 5, 2010 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 2:25 PM

Poetry foundation

Walked by this yesterday, didn't realize they had got this far.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 4:10 PM

So I know this is out there, but is there any talks about the Waterview Tower, whether it to be demolished or turned into a parking garage? It is such a blight on the river front, it makes me sick to know it will be there for years untouched.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 6:33 PM
BANNED

^^^ Rumors abound of a deal in the works... I've heard some on here and some elsewhere... Everything I've heard points to completing it as is, partial completion of the original design, or complete completion of the original design. I haven't heard anything suggesting a teardown...

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 7:08 PM

There's a new Dominick's at Lincoln and Foster that looks similar to the design a few miles to the west at Foster and Sheridan. (Has construction begun on the latter yet?) I was driving by and didn't get a good look at it, but, from what I could tell, it seemed pretty nice, though I believe there's a parking lot on the north side of the site.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 7:12 PM

Quote:
^^^ Rumors abound of a deal in the works... I've heard some on here and some elsewhere... Everything I've heard points to completing it as is, partial completion of the original design, or complete completion of the original design. I haven't heard anything suggesting a teardown...
complete completion please.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 7:21 PM
BANNED

^^^ It could happen...

The Foster and Sheridan Dominicks is nearly complete.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 8:24 PM
BANNED

What is the height on that Poetry building I cannot seem to recall?

Nowhereman....do you have links to sources re: Waterview or just conjecture?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 11:59 PM
BANNED

Wonder how will this will impact development:

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...y-council.html

Smith, Shiller won't seek re-election to Chicago City Council
Share |

Posted by John Byrne at 4:14 p.m.; updated at 5:30 p.m.

The Chicago City Council's two longest-serving women both will step down at the end of their terms.

Lakefront Alds. Helen Shiller, 46th, and Mary Ann Smith, 48th, each said today that they will not be on the February ballot for re-election.

Smith, who chairs the Parks and Recreation Committee, has been on the council since 1989. She was the first of many aldermen Mayor Richard Daley got to appoint.

Smith said she wants to devote more time to water quality issues that have been her passion while serving on the council. Daley has done enough to make "green issues" a priority that Smith said she doesn't worry attention to such things will suffer without her voice to speak up for them.

"The mayor is looking for innovation in these areas, and he has brought in a lot of innovative people," Smith said. "We're in good hands in that regard."

Smith said she has been approached by several groups interested in her help with land use and water quality work, but declined to discuss her specific plans. She mentioned her love of the Indiana Dunes and the development of Chicago's south lakefront as areas she may focus her attention.

Possible successors will soon make their names known, Smith predicted.

Shiller, who was first elected in 1987, said she has accomplished what she set out to in her North Side ward. Shiller said she believes she can be a better advocate for things such as diversity and equal rights in housing and economic opportunities for all Chicagoans if she is unburdened of the time-consuming responsibility of running a ward office.

Though Shiller has been criticized in recent years by some Uptown neighborhood groups opposed to the pace and direction of development in the ward, Shiller said she isn't stepping aside because of a possible tough re-election fight.

"Re-election has always been like that, every time I've run," said Shiller, 62, who chairs the Human Relations Committee. "I just feel there's very little serious discussion going on about how to solve the issues facing us in this city, and I believe I can more effectively address that outside the arena of the council."

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 1:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post

Some of the rumors have been on here. Other rumors I have heard from friends in the industry. Apparently the vultures have made many attempted bids on this thing to Teng. Last I heard another Chinese group (separate from ones previously mentioned on here) was trying to low ball the project and get it on the cheap to complete (original massing, slightly different design). I heard this from a friend who runs a RE development consultancy downtown. Can't name the consultancy for obvious reasons.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 3:33 AM
BANNED

This is a question for Mr.downtown and the other zoning types: what does it take to remove PMD status from a property in Chicago? Is it just a zoning issue that can be ammended by an alderman? Or does city code need to be modified?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Hopefully this is on-topic since it pertains to development/proposals, but the financing environment does make one question the ease with which large buildings are demolished to make way for new construction that may or may not actually happen. There used to be a 12 story (I think?) building there, and we may be graced with an empty patch of dirt paying low property taxes for years if the developers don't pull the project off due to trouble with financing.
that's more of a failure of the city when it comes to allowing demolition without financing already in place, & it's more of a general development issue.

I'd love there to be a requirement of financing in place for a new project before demolition permits can be approved, so we do not have any more Block 37, or Mercantile Exchange travesties in the future.

speaking of preventing the destruction of quality built form:

Kamin article on the potentially devastating challenge to Chicago Landmarks

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-kamin-landmarks-0805-20100805,0,490839.story

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 3:03 PM

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...n_July2010.pdf

In depth plan for Lake Shore Flyover project. Not sure if it was posted or not.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 4:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Some of the rumors have been on here. Other rumors I have heard from friends in the industry. Apparently the vultures have made many attempted bids on this thing to Teng. Last I heard another Chinese group (separate from ones previously mentioned on here) was trying to low ball the project and get it on the cheap to complete (original massing, slightly different design). I heard this from a friend who runs a RE development consultancy downtown. Can't name the consultancy for obvious reasons.
Well I truly hope it gets built as close to the original as possible

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 4:09 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
what does it take to remove PMD status from a property in Chicago?
The city council could, by simple majority vote, repeal the entire zone or modify its boundaries. However, this has never been done. The idea was to create a certain amount of inertia so that rezoning a property in a PMD would be much more difficult than ordinary zoning map amendments, where the wishes of the local alderman are nearly always followed.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 8:48 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post

This rendering posted by spyguy awhile back seems to indicate the top of the metal screen, halfway between ground floor and third floor, perhaps @approx. 35'-0" height (assuming 10ft/fl.)

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 10:18 PM
THAT Guy

Forgot to post these DePaul projects

Theatre School - I assume this is the new [Cesar Pelli] design since it was in a DePaul magazine

Art museum

New academic building

Cacciatore Stadium

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 12:32 AM
The City

^ I think you've posted them all before, with the exception of the new Theatre school renderings

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 1:06 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...n_July2010.pdf

In depth plan for Lake Shore Flyover project. Not sure if it was posted or not.
I love how all their photos are from the middle of winter, the exact time lakefront use is at its peak ...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development