HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 1:22 PM
SkyTrain Nut

Predictions call for gas to climb to something shy of 130.9 in the Interior by the summer.
I'm honestly curious now how long it takes for the prices in the lower mainland to follow suit. You have now been some of the cheapest in the province for over a week now, which goes against the "it's more expensive to transport the further west you go" we were told last year.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 2:08 PM

But it really depends on markets ... usually Washington State gasoline is the most expensive imported into BC. Now it could be the cheapest if they are under contract and being forced to accept and process supply from Alaska.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 5:12 PM

As usual, gas price is random and unexplainable.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Predictions call for gas to climb to something shy of 130.9 in the Interior by the summer.
I'm honestly curious now how long it takes for the prices in the lower mainland to follow suit. You have now been some of the cheapest in the province for over a week now, which goes against the "it's more expensive to transport the further west you go" we were told last year.
That's the thing. The Dan McTeagues of the world will always have an excuse du jour ready, which is why many people have called for the media to stop interviewing him every time there's a story on gas prices. It makes him into an authority on the subject without diving into the fact that he cultivated industry ties during and after his time as an MP. He left GasBuddy to form a new site and lead some new "affordable energy" group, which is just a front for the industry to win the policy/PR war.

130.9 is not necessarily out to lunch in the middle of summer if it's a reflection of supply and demand, given massive production drops. The problem is that the price is rarely a reflection of supply and demand.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 5:13 AM

I wish gas retailers would stop with the yo-yo pricing that happens every day from morning until evening... high in the morning, low in the evening. This has been going on for years and it is time to put a stop to it.

This doesn't happen in Edmonton and other markets. The price there is the same no matter what time of day it is.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainguy View Post
I wish gas retailers would stop with the yo-yo pricing that happens every day from morning until evening... high in the morning, low in the evening.
So you want the price in the evening to be as high as it is during the day?

IMHO this isn't as crazy as that time when everyone was posting signboard prices that were higher than actual price they sold the gas for.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 5:49 PM

Quote:
I wish gas retailers would stop with the yo-yo pricing that happens every day from morning until evening... high in the morning, low in the evening. This has been going on for years and it is time to put a stop to it.

This doesn't happen in Edmonton and other markets. The price there is the same no matter what time of day it is.
It does in some other places - seen it in Edmonton and Calgary too. Esso started doing it before they sold their retail chain, and the retailers seem to have kept doing it, and it is mirrored somewhat by others depending on their proximity to an Esso.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 6:49 PM

Quote:

I think they just assume they make enough by the people who don't care about the fluctuation (premium) than just leaving it the same price. The margins are probably low enough that it matters.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 8:33 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:

I see it daily in Calgary at certain stations. Business has adapted to the point that prices are adjusted according to demand fluctuations and consumer tendancies throughout the day.

Not a big deal, a business should be allowed to change their price according to demand.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 3:23 AM

Today I saw the gas price go from 1.10 at Shell and I drove 4 blocks down and the price was 0.95 at Petro.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 3:49 AM

yesterday i found gas at 0.90 around ~7pmish in Vancouver proper at Chevron. but others nearby were at 0.94 and 0.92. it really is hit and miss.

i would never gas up during the daytime though.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 4:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I think they just assume they make enough by the people who don't care about the fluctuation (premium) than just leaving it the same price. The margins are probably low enough that it matters.
I buy 91 and 87 to make 89 lol. Its a lot cheaper to mix it yourself in the gas tank than to have the pump combine them for you. Its such a scam.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
I buy 91 and 87 to make 89 lol. Its a lot cheaper to mix it yourself in the gas tank than to have the pump combine them for you. Its such a scam.
Holy crap why am I not surprised to hear this from you?

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
yesterday i found gas at 0.90 around ~7pmish in Vancouver proper at Chevron. but others nearby were at 0.94 and 0.92. it really is hit and miss.
The GasBuddy smartphone app is your friend...

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 2:33 AM

Gas prices are on their way up again as traders and speculators are helping to push up the crude prices since the economies are starting to open up and demand will increase. Was nice while it lasted.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Gas prices are on their way up again as traders and speculators are helping to push up the crude prices since the economies are starting to open up and demand will increase. Was nice while it lasted.
Unfortunately this silver lining came part and parcel with a pretty god-awful hurricane...

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Unfortunately this silver lining came part and parcel with a pretty god-awful hurricane...
Look on the bright side. We had a month of once-in-a-decade low prices (circumstances aside), and we're still a long way from the $1.70-1.75 we were paying last year at this time.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 7:32 PM

Anyone know why our gas prices are back to $1.30 level? Price of oil is still down from 6 months ago and rest of Canada is still enjoying sub-$1 prices. What's the excuse this time?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Anyone know why our gas prices are back to $1.30 level? Price of oil is still down from 6 months ago and rest of Canada is still enjoying sub-$1 prices. What's the excuse this time?
Western Canada Select has rebounded to almost exactly the price it was 6 months ago.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 10:15 PM

Well aren't we lucky!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure