HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 7:27 PM

Here's a little gif of the S.E traffic circle. I was there for about 1/2 an hour and saw several near misses. I thought I had some video of some close calls, but turns out I need to read my DSLR manual.

This is also my first attempt at creating a gif. I think I should have made the pic size a bit smaller. You'll have to be patient as it takes a minute or so to load.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 7:37 PM

Yep. I went through it last night and noticed one car who decided to go the wrong way around the circle to get from Highfield to head into Ramsay, and numerous cars *in the circle* yielding to cars trying to enter it. And a train was approaching but I got through before I noticed it and decided I didn't want to stick around to see the chaos of that added element

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 9:11 PM
not a NIMBY

great gif Ramsayfarian!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Yep. I went through it last night and noticed one car who decided to go the wrong way around the circle to get from Highfield to head into Ramsay, and numerous cars *in the circle* yielding to cars trying to enter it. And a train was approaching but I got through before I noticed it and decided I didn't want to stick around to see the chaos of that added element
I would have stuck around for that train wreck. I was praying for a train to show up, when I was taking those photos.

When I was observing the unwashed, I saw so many close calls, the first thing that popped into my mind was the old figure 8 stock car racetrack. The thing that worries me, is most folks who aren't used to a traffic circle, are so focused on what the fuck they should be doing, that I don't think they even notice the tracks.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
great gif Ramsayfarian!
Thanks, but you're too kind. I think my technique needs a bit of work. It's coming close to inducing nausea.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 1:10 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
the first thing that popped into my mind was the old figure 8 stock car racetrack.
You're probably thinking of the real thing, but your comment made me think of a figure 8 SLOT car track.

Great idea for a concept short film: have you and several people holding those old corded controllers on your porch, pretending to drive the idiots through the circle. Get the camera angle right, with lots of swearing as cars collide, and I bet you'd have a million YouTube hits within a week.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 1:18 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Great idea for a concept short film: have you and several people holding those old corded controllers on your porch, pretending to drive the idiots through the circle. Get the camera angle right, with lots of swearing as cars collide, and I bet you'd have a million YouTube hits within a week.
Hell yeah!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 3:39 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Thanks, but you're too kind. I think my technique needs a bit of work. It's coming close to inducing nausea.
Could you post a straight pic from gif with the traffic circle in the middle? This is a good angle for a reference shot.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 3:43 AM
Round Head

Quote:
it hurts my eyeballs.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 3:57 AM

Quote:
You're probably thinking of the real thing, but your comment made me think of a figure 8 SLOT car track.

Anyone under 30 wouldn't know what those controllers are, and would assume we're terrorists.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 5:09 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Anyone under 30 wouldn't know what those controllers are, and would assume we're terrorists.

I normally don't post empty responses, but that was just too good to pass up.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 5:54 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:
Here's a little gif of the S.E traffic circle. I was there for about 1/2 an hour and saw several near misses. I thought I had some video of some close calls, but turns out I need to read my DSLR manual.

This is also my first attempt at creating a gif. I think I should have made the pic size a bit smaller. You'll have to be patient as it takes a minute or so to load.
Forgive the stupid question, but were you hitting the shutter button to start the video recording? I remember you have a T1i and that's what I was doing with mine initially until I found the record button to the right of the LCD screen.

I think freeweed's suggestion about the controllers is a great idea, though I'd peg the age of recognizing them closer to 25 (mostly because I'd be able to recognize them and I'm not 30 yet...though I'm quickly approaching).

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 6:10 AM
not a NIMBY

I thought the nausea inducing effect was your artistry in showing what a clusterfuck this traffic circle is so far.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
Forgive the stupid question, but were you hitting the shutter button to start the video recording? I remember you have a T1i and that's what I was doing with mine initially until I found the record button to the right of the LCD screen.

I think freeweed's suggestion about the controllers is a great idea, though I'd peg the age of recognizing them closer to 25 (mostly because I'd be able to recognize them and I'm not 30 yet...though I'm quickly approaching).
Good memory, but I don't have the T1i anymore, I upgraded to the 7D which is slightly different.

If you think the approach to 30 is quick, wait until 40.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 3:38 PM

Quote:

I normally don't post empty responses, but that was just too good to pass up.
I have a wireless RF remote for my camera, the transmitter actually has a telescoping antenna. The sales guy told me not to use in Airports as it might freak out security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I thought the nausea inducing effect was your artistry in showing what a clusterfuck this traffic circle is so far.
I'm so glad you caught that, because I sure didn't.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post
Could you post a straight pic from gif with the traffic circle in the middle? This is a good angle for a reference shot.
Hi Ferreth, I could have sworn that I posted one last night, but I guess not. Here's one, it's not the best shot, but you get the general layout.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 10:28 PM
I'm the bear on the right

I went for a quick walk to capture more of the WLRT construction, and I came across this sign on EB 17th Ave @ 37th ST SW:

I've zoomed in on it a bit with my camera, but would a driver be able to decipher it? I really don't think so.

Last edited by srperrycgy; Mar 21, 2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Corrected direction.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
I've zoomed in on it a bit with my camera, but would a driver be able to decipher it? I really don't think so.
I think that you'd have a pretty good defence if you got nabbed making that turn. Isn't there some sort of standard size that writing must be on road signs?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
I think that you'd have a pretty good defence if you got nabbed making that turn. Isn't there some sort of standard size that writing must be on road signs?
Realistically actually you shouldn't need a defense, if you can't read the writing you should be assuming no left turns at any time. Granted I'm sure there will be some people who are used to driving there that won't even see the new sign, but thats a different issue.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Realistically actually you shouldn't need a defense, if you can't read the writing you should be assuming no left turns at any time. Granted I'm sure there will be some people who are used to driving there that won't even see the new sign, but thats a different issue.
Agreed the writing underneath is tiny unlike many other examples of that type of sign. Plus I'm pretty sure a good chunk of the population has no idea how to read time in 24 hour format. Piss poor signage.

Having said that why is the turn restricted only during evening rush hour? Morning is when it gets really busy (17th EB heads TOWARD downtown).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure