HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 15, 2023, 4:33 PM

Not much of an Atlanta photo if the day but why not.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 6:52 PM

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 4:33 PM

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 6:56 PM

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 4:53 PM

Old Posted May 6, 2023, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
A great shot that would be made greater if only that 1,000-ft. building would move to the left a little bit. My OCD flares up every time I see that misalignment :-)

EDIT: On second look, is the driveway entrance off-center, too? I give up.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
A great shot that would be made greater if only that 1,000-ft. building would move to the left a little bit. My OCD flares up every time I see that misalignment :-)

EDIT: On second look, is the driveway entrance off-center, too? I give up.
Looks like the entrance is 2 lanes (on the right) allowing for both east and west bound traffic to turn in at same time. And a single exit lane to Linden.

Live across the street, have been watching this for years

Old Posted May 14, 2023, 7:24 PM

Nothing special but just thought how odd it was to see the Hyatt that was once an overview of the city look so small and “bullied”. Funny anecdote below from same spot.

Ran 8 miles yesterday and when I took the pic from Ted Turner Dr over Connector bridge I dropped my keys on the sidewalk. Somehow almost beyond lotto odds I took a “butt”/accidental picture of the ground and my keys were in the pic. I went back about 2 hours later and sadly they were MIA. I even found the twist-tie but no sign of my keys. Odd since this section of sidewalk isn’t used much and why would anyone bother to pick up random keys on the sidewalk.

Old Posted May 14, 2023, 7:34 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Nothing special but just thought how odd it was to see the Hyatt that was once an overview of the city look so small and “bullied”. Funny anecdote below from same spot.

Ran 8 miles yesterday and when I took the pic from Ted Turner Dr over Connector bridge I dropped my keys on the sidewalk. Somehow almost beyond lotto odds I took a “butt”/accidental picture of the ground and my keys were in the pic. I went back about 2 hours later and sadly they were MIA. I even found the twist-tie but no sign of my keys. Odd since this section of sidewalk isn’t used much and why would anyone bother to pick up random keys on the sidewalk.
Damn...sorry you lost your keys like that.

In the first pic, there was supposed to be second mirror image residential tower on the other side of the shorter hotel. If I'm not mistaken, Novare was the developer. I wonder of those plans are permanently mothballed or if that second tower might yet get built.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 3:11 PM

Urbanize Atlanta : View from the Four Seasons

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 6:08 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Is it just me, or does Atlanta and Toronto get gypped when it comes to building designs? Philly, Miami, New York, Chicago get all of these great designs. Even Nashville has been getting good stuff lately. We get good designs too, but...

Is it just me? lol

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
Is it just me, or does Atlanta and Toronto get gypped when it comes to building designs? Philly, Miami, New York, Chicago get all of these great designs. Even Nashville has been getting good stuff lately. We get good designs too, but...

Is it just me? lol
Not just you. If I had to guess, there are two reasons, outside of zoning and regulation:
1. for the older cities, age. They sit on well established grids and have been built up for centuries. Downtown land becomes far more valuable, especially since they have larger metros.
2. For Miami, and to a much lesser extent, Nashville, their main exports are cultural. Flashy tourist hubs that have an image to curate.

Atlanta does not fall under either of these umbrellas. I don't think Nashville is all that great. but still could explain why people are under that impression.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 3:10 AM

I don't travel much and haven't been following other cities. But I am thinking maybe it's a land area thing. The footprint sizes of the new developments in Atlanta are all huge— half block, full block, etc. Maybe they are working with smaller lots in those other cities and can splurge on the façade. Or maybe it has something to do with the costs of engineering around the bedrock being higher.

Last edited by bryantm3; May 18, 2023 at 3:20 AM.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 4:48 AM

I think Atlanta is getting good designs—the new project on the east side trail that just delivered is world class, for instance. But Atlanta is also getting a whole ton of cookie cutter high rises—I saw a list that we are #2 in total high rises constructed from 2021 to 2025 with 85, behind only NYC. It’s not all going to be art.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post

Is it just me? lol
Not just you--that opinion is common on this forum. I don't agree with it though. All those cities have a similar mix of good designs and generic infill. I think it's just that people in Atlanta follow every project here and only notice the best from other places.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
Not just you--that opinion is common on this forum. I don't agree with it though. All those cities have a similar mix of good designs and generic infill. I think it's just that people in Atlanta follow every project here and only notice the best from other places.
I don't know about Miami's upcoming projects but every time I visit there the buildings seem bland... they mostly look like bland timeshare midrises.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 10:48 AM

When young was kinda into photography but never developed a decent "eye". I take a lot of pics around town and often just luck up and get a passable pic. This is an example of how POOR my photography "eye" skills are. Stopped to take a pic of the tower going up behind the row "houses" store fronts. After I looked down and was impressed at the view. It seemed to encompass all Midtown is becoming with so many residential high rises in a row. I expected it to be a good pic. However it is actually a terrible pic. Trash cans are the main items and ugly overhead power lines look like crap. And worst yet the "star" high rises just kinda look like background clutter.

So I present the ANTI pic of the day.

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 2:33 PM
Topher’s 2 cents

[QUOTE=Julien;9949471]When young was kinda into photography but never developed a decent "eye". I take a lot of pics around town and often just luck up and get a passable pic. This is an example of how POOR my photography "eye" skills are. Stopped to take a pic of the tower going up behind the row "houses" store fronts. After I looked down and was impressed at the view. It seemed to encompass all Midtown is becoming with so many residential high rises in a row. I expected it to be a good pic. However it is actually a terrible pic. Trash cans are the main items and ugly overhead power lines look like crap. And worst yet the "star" high rises just kinda look like background clutter.

I hope some buys that all up and scrapes it all off the face of the planet. Those houses need to go.

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 3:28 PM

I’d love to see those lots gets redeveloped. Also it would be great if the city would bury the power lines when they redo Piedmont.

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 4:03 PM

[QUOTE=BlueSangha;9950274]
Quote:
When young was kinda into photography but never developed a decent "eye". I take a lot of pics around town and often just luck up and get a passable pic. This is an example of how POOR my photography "eye" skills are. Stopped to take a pic of the tower going up behind the row "houses" store fronts. After I looked down and was impressed at the view. It seemed to encompass all Midtown is becoming with so many residential high rises in a row. I expected it to be a good pic. However it is actually a terrible pic. Trash cans are the main items and ugly overhead power lines look like crap. And worst yet the "star" high rises just kinda look like background clutter.

I hope some buys that all up and scrapes it all off the face of the planet. Those houses need to go.
And what would you replace those houses with? Based on the street presence of just about any high-rise that's been built in Midtown over the last decade, I'm not confident that redeveloping these houses would add anything to the streetscape of the neighborhood that these thriving businesses aren't already providing while keeping some of the "Old Midtown" gayborhood charm.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta