HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Waldorf-Astoria in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 11:14 PM

^Cool, I wonder how long those wood piles have been in the ground, 100 years perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Well I think you're being incredibly optimistic. . . there isn't a single project in Chicago on the market in recent years that has sold "extremely fast". . . so I don't see why you think this one is any different. . .
I wouldn't say that, as One Museum Park sold 80% in the first weekend of sales. Andf of course Mellenium Center as mentioned above.

But yeah, condo sales will likely happen at a slow and stedy pace, but with Waldorph taking half the building for the hotel, I remain very optimistic. They could work out a staged occupancy ala Trump to get the hotel earning money ASAP.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 4:22 PM
Closed account

This is a beautiful tower

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 6:33 PM

Wow. I had no idea prep work began.
Vista Tower, Chicago 1,1199 ft UC 45 Broad St, New York 1,115 ft UC
9 DeKalb Ave, New York 1,066 ft 53W53, New York 1,050 ft UC

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 6:37 PM

Is the real tower being prepped or just the rental tower on the same property?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 6:39 PM
BANNED

^^^ Just the rental at the moment, the main tower is supposed to start selling sometime later this year or early next...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 7:12 PM

^^lot more optimism about this than I can muster. I bet this is at least 5 years off, if it happens. I wager that this tower, the Architectonica tower in LSE, towers 3 & 4 in Central Station, and any number of other projects are going to be on hold or just die in the next 6 months to year. I was talking to an architect at a large firm that just did an internal survey and found that 6000 units are coming on the market in the next 18 months. Eeeks.

Hope I am wrong about W-A. I like it.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 9:05 PM
BANNED

^^^ Yes, ~6000 new units are coming online over the next year or so, but most of those are already sold... So not as bad as it sounds.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 12:57 PM

^^^^
Despite all the gloom and doom in the housing industry, there is a real trend of moving back downtown from the suburbs. And gas prices certainly aren't hurting that movement. I have faith is this one and other in the city.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 6:40 AM
Chicago

Last edited by SolarWind; Jul 14, 2008 at 2:30 AM. Reason: Deleted picture and added link to 465 North Park Drive photo

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 6:04 PM
comin' home again

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
^^^^
Despite all the gloom and doom in the housing industry, there is a real trend of moving back downtown from the suburbs. And gas prices certainly aren't hurting that movement. I have faith is this one and other in the city.
This is true. Retiring to the city is also becoming a popular option.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
^^lot more optimism about this than I can muster. I bet this is at least 5 years off, if it happens. I wager that this tower, the Architectonica tower in LSE, towers 3 & 4 in Central Station, and any number of other projects are going to be on hold or just die in the next 6 months to year. I was talking to an architect at a large firm that just did an internal survey and found that 6000 units are coming on the market in the next 18 months. Eeeks.
Hope I am wrong about W-A. I like it.
You're looking at too short a time frame and lumping the whole market together.
Arquetectonica will follow once Aqua is done and sold out as the next LSE property. GP3 will follow once OMPW is sold, and GP4 will follow that.

W=A is following Trump and the Spire and won't have units ready for move in until about 2012.
It's all spread out, and the people who will be buying in W=A aren't in the same market as a typical south loop buyer where most of the units are. Plus it's only 300 units.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 2:49 AM

self edited

Last edited by hawkeye view; Jul 14, 2008 at 12:34 AM. Reason: sorry for adding to the confusion...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ Just the rental at the moment, the main tower is supposed to start selling sometime later this year or early next...
The thread title is very deceiving. Someone might see the thread title, "CHICAGO | Waldorf=Astoria | 1,265' Official / 1,200' Roof | 107 Floors | SITE PREP", and think that "construction" is beginning. Yet it hasn't. It's just the rental tower that is seeing the activity at this time. BIG difference. If mods insist on keeping the rental tower in this same thread, maybe the title should be changed to: "CHICAGO | Waldorf=Astoria | 1,265' Official / 1,200' Roof | 107 Floors | SITE PREP (Rental Tower)" so that people aren't fooled into believing the hotel tower itself has started.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 3:39 AM
The City

I long ago said that the rental tower discussion shouldn't be a part of this thread. It creates a lot of confusion.

I mean, for all practical purposes, when people visit this thread they're interested in the 1200+ foot Waldor Astoria, not another run of the mill apartment tower.

No disrespect to anyone, just my late night Sapporo beer-induced opinion..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 5:37 AM
The City

^ Thanks, but you're not telling anybody here anything they dont know, and I'm sure that by the next page newcomers will be asking the same question over and over again.

That's why I say we discuss the rental tower on the 'Boom Rundown' thread and discuss the W=A tower here, and change the status back to 'Proposed" to save people from having to explain this over and over again.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 6:26 AM

^Exactly. . . please refrain from posting questions on the status of this building or it will simply be deleted. . . if you're unsure about the status, read the title of the thread or reorient yourself within the forum. . .

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 6:49 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Mr. Moderator in Chicago, I just added my post not long ago and already it's deleted? The thread's title reads "Site Prep" but yet there is no construction of any sort taking place in regards to the Waldorf iself. This is why there's confusion because no one and certainly not you has changed the thread to "Proposed." There was never any work taking place at any point because the tower itself still has hurdles to pass. The thread's title should have never been changed to "Site Prep" just because a building next door is having below grade work being done. This has only caused people to questioned what exactly is going on. Now if you as the moderator are just going to delete posts questioning the status of the Tower simply because there is false information and confusion, then maybe you shouldn't be a moderator at all. I had to turn to other sites such as Wikipedia to get some info because the information here has been misleading and overhyped. Just look at the last pics posted. The current site of what would be the Waldorf is still an active Parking Lot. After all, this is a "Forum" and unless you're being biased since you're in Chicago, then all opinions and questions should be left as is. I never used any foul or innapropriate language to have my last post deleted. My only question was the "real" status of this tower.

Last edited by NYC4Life; Jul 13, 2008 at 7:37 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 5:07 PM

^You're right. . . the thread title has been changed to PROPOSED. . .

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 5:13 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

edit

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 2:29 AM
Chicago

Waldorf=Astoria site

July 11, 2008

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive