HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Anybody hear any news on the status of the CPT west extension? Last I heard was the announcement that it had been pushed up to 2016 or so.

Who said it was pesky green space? I think the should have went west of the ball diamonds personally. West around the Prairie Dog, up and around the ball diamonds, straight east across route 90.
The plan for the west CPT extenstion, which is why is was fast tracked over the east extension, is that it will tie into CPW. If you look at the proposed routes of both streets near Inkster and Sturgeon they are almost touching. It would seem to long term plan is to eliminate the loop that ties CPW into Inkster and instead seemlessly transition from CPW to CPT. This also explains the reason for the proposed route of CPT instead of moving it west like you suggest.

Further, the long term plan calls for an extension that would amount to a road connecting Hwy 6 and Sturgeon. It would primarly be a north-south route inside the Perimeter.

I would also not be surprised to see Inkster eventually severed where CPW/CPT and Sturgeon/Hwy 6 meet.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
That was a bit of my sarcasm coming out -- I may actually be the only person on this board who thinks the eastern extension of Peguis Trail shouldn't have been built in the first place, though I do believe that some would have rather seen the money spent elsewhere.
Ya i kinda figured. So how come you think the east CPT extension was a bad idea? I don't think it will be fully utilized until CPT is extended to CentrePort. And even further more to the east perimeter. I know of people who are just begging for the west extension. Other people say use the perimeter. Just not the same when you need to drive an extra 10 mins in traffic to get to the perimeter, plus another 10 mins getting back in.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The plan for the west CPT extenstion, which is why is was fast tracked over the east extension, is that it will tie into CPW. If you look at the proposed routes of both streets near Inkster and Sturgeon they are almost touching. It would seem to long term plan is to eliminate the loop that ties CPW into Inkster and instead seemlessly transition from CPW to CPT. This also explains the reason for the proposed route of CPT instead of moving it west like you suggest.

Further, the long term plan calls for an extension that would amount to a road connecting Hwy 6 and Sturgeon. It would primarly be a north-south route inside the Perimeter.

I would also not be surprised to see Inkster eventually severed where CPW/CPT and Sturgeon/Hwy 6 meet.
Sorry not sure how to do the double quotes.

But i get what's going on the with CPT and PTH 6, etc. Just saying the same thing could be accomplished going west of Little Mountain. There will be one honkin interchange there if it ever gets built.

I don't think that Inkster would be severed there however. That allows for truck access into the industrial area down Inkster/Keewatin. Also just for general track back into that area.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 2:55 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Ya i kinda figured. So how come you think the east CPT extension was a bad idea? I don't think it will be fully utilized until CPT is extended to CentrePort. And even further more to the east perimeter. I know of people who are just begging for the west extension. Other people say use the perimeter. Just not the same when you need to drive an extra 10 mins in traffic to get to the perimeter, plus another 10 mins getting back in.
The problem I have with CPT Extension, either way, is that: it promotes sprawl by cartering to the automobile (no bus route scheduled to go from Main to Lag that I have heard of), it creates a net loss in operational budget for the City of Winnipeg (the amount of money that is needed to upkeep the extension is more than the tax revenues that would be created from new housing starts as a result of the extension), and it creates a net decrease in Provencial revenues (the increase in GDP for the province wouldn't generate the tax revenue to upkeep the extension either).

When the City agrees to build these (even when it is with funds from the Build Canada Fund), they are losing out because it makes it easier for people to live in ESP, Birds Hill, or WSP -- and with the Western extension Stonewall, etc. and still commute downtown for work.

If you want to read my piece on it it's in the Uniter. http://uniter.ca/view/8500/

Those are my main points, none of which are the design.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 3:58 PM

Quote:
I don't think that Inkster would be severed there however. That allows for truck access into the industrial area down Inkster/Keewatin. Also just for general track back into that area.
My thinking on Inkster being severed is that the current plan calls for Sturgeon/Hwy 6 to be the main north-south route and CPW/CPT to be the east-west route with an intersection roughly where Inkster and Sturgeon currently meet. Based on the construction on the overpass near that intesetion it seems there is currently no plan for for tying Inkster in. This seems to be further demonstrated by how Inkster will essentially be part of CPW until the CPT reaches that far west.

I could see Inkster being broken where CPW crosses and you can right turn onto CPW or take an exit from CPW onto Inkster but that Inkster traffic will not run east-west past CPW. Inkster would then become more of a local access route directing traffic to Route 90, CPW or the Perimeter.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 11:51 PM

Living in the northeast, I'd much prefer any money they'd like to spend on an eastern extension of the CPT be spent on building some underpasses or overpasses and getting rid of lights on the Perimeter and Lag. Adding road capacity in that stretch won't alleviate much if the traffic can't flow.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 11:58 PM
Heart of the Continent

The lights at the perimeter and lag are a provincial thing, and the fix is in the works.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
The lights at the perimeter and lag are a provincial thing, and the fix is in the works.
I'm talking more generally about those roads, not just their intersection. For some reason it was decided that we needed to add lights on Lag recently. For the most part I believe we have enough capacity, need to improve what we have.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post

Not trying to be a pessimst, but wev'e been hearing that for the better part of 2 decades!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 3:06 AM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDBO View Post
Not trying to be a pessimst, but wev'e been hearing that for the better part of 2 decades!
It's not that I am trying to defend the Province here, but in my last conversation with MIT they said that although they are trying to secure more federal dollars for this project they are likely adding scope too. I believe that you will see the pedestrian overpass for the Pioneers greenway added and possibly the proposed grade separation of Birds Hill Rd and 59 included as well.

Living 5 minutes away and using that poor excuse for an intersection almost every day I more than anyone want to see it completed.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 6:42 AM

Not to mention the awful 59/101 intersection that is finally scheduled to get a proper interchange. (thank god) I can't believe how long they allowed it to operate in the current state.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It's not that I am trying to defend the Province here, but in my last conversation with MIT they said that although they are trying to secure more federal dollars for this project they are likely adding scope too. I believe that you will see the pedestrian overpass for the Pioneers greenway added and possibly the proposed grade separation of Birds Hill Rd and 59 included as well.
Very interesting. I was wondering if the pedestrian overpass would be an addition since the cyclists put up a big stink. Glad to hear that. Any word on a timeline for any of this info to be officially publicly announced? Or anything as to an update on the project. Haven't heard much since late 2011.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 7:31 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Very interesting. I was wondering if the pedestrian overpass would be an addition since the cyclists put up a big stink. Glad to hear that. Any word on a timeline for any of this info to be officially publicly announced? Or anything as to an update on the project. Haven't heard much since late 2011.
Possible start in 2014.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Possible start in 2014.
Ya, same olds still. Hoping for some kind of announcement in 2013. I would think it would be included when the tenders for 2014 are released next November by MIT. At least some portion of site clearing/grading/prep. or a set of structures.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 7:44 PM

Getting tired of CPT and the constant stopping at EVERY intersection.

I can't remember a time yet, that I driven East or West on CPT, that I have never had to stop for one of the lights. Do they see me coming? and turn on the red lights? I have tried to find a speed that I could go from Lag to Main without having to stop at every damn light. I almost made it last Friday morning, but had a woman cut in front of me at Gateway, only to hammer the brakes on when the light turned yellow. Maybe she thought I was a cop!

I would have thought they would have put Gateway over the top and kept turning traffic from crossing the median, (the principal cause of accidents at intersections is turning traffic.) but I guess Winnipeg hasn't learned yet. Will Autopac, take up the cross on this issue?

Henderson Hwy. intersection should be elevated East and West, with the run-ups left like they are. Bicycle traffic should NOT be allowed on the roadway, and you can add scooters to that also.

Seeing as how, they built it using 20 year old specs, (only two lanes each way, and not three, or four). Using it as a bus express, to move people from one area to the other with a minimum amount time and stops, was not in the forward thinking of the powers at City Hall. Sometimes it makes me wonder why Transit doesn't allow Timmy's to franchise their coffee on the buses down Portage, Main and to the University. Hell, put the coffee in sippy cups if you have to and lower the price of the bus fares, and if you are going that far, put a smoking section in the back of the bus (that's where I did my smoking on the way back from downtown to Windy Park 50 years ago). That seat behind the driver could be put to better use with a concession machine, and the drivers could go back to making change again. I'm thinking small business here, do we have any takers.

Just throwing this out to enterprising minds, Pole dancers on the late night runs! Hey, that will keep the driver awake. Or, keep the downtown runs going all night long and the homeless ride for free from 12 to 6 am.

See you all in 2013.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 8:19 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
Getting tired of CPT and the constant stopping at EVERY intersection.

I can't remember a time yet, that I driven East or West on CPT, that I have never had to stop for one of the lights. Do they see me coming? and turn on the red lights? I have tried to find a speed that I could go from Lag to Main without having to stop at every damn light. I almost made it last Friday morning, but had a woman cut in front of me at Gateway, only to hammer the brakes on when the light turned yellow. Maybe she thought I was a cop!

I would have thought they would have put Gateway over the top and kept turning traffic from crossing the median, (the principal cause of accidents at intersections is turning traffic.) but I guess Winnipeg hasn't learned yet. Will Autopac, take up the cross on this issue?

Henderson Hwy. intersection should be elevated East and West, with the run-ups left like they are. Bicycle traffic should NOT be allowed on the roadway, and you can add scooters to that also.

Seeing as how, they built it using 20 year old specs, (only two lanes each way, and not three, or four). Using it as a bus express, to move people from one area to the other with a minimum amount time and stops, was not in the forward thinking of the powers at City Hall. Sometimes it makes me wonder why Transit doesn't allow Timmy's to franchise their coffee on the buses down Portage, Main and to the University. Hell, put the coffee in sippy cups if you have to and lower the price of the bus fares, and if you are going that far, put a smoking section in the back of the bus (that's where I did my smoking on the way back from downtown to Windy Park 50 years ago). That seat behind the driver could be put to better use with a concession machine, and the drivers could go back to making change again. I'm thinking small business here, do we have any takers.

Just throwing this out to enterprising minds, Pole dancers on the late night runs! Hey, that will keep the driver awake. Or, keep the downtown runs going all night long and the homeless ride for free from 12 to 6 am.

See you all in 2013.
A few times, I was lucky enough to make it all the way through, from Lag to Main, and vice versa.

Although those times, it was during low-peak hours.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 11:27 PM

I don't drive CPT ever really, but my daughter is in a hockey tourney at Gateway CC so have 5 times in the last week and I really enjoy it. Yeah, there's a few PIA set of lights but at least it flows nice and better than using side streets to get around.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 10:16 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
I don't drive CPT ever really, but my daughter is in a hockey tourney at Gateway CC so have 5 times in the last week and I really enjoy it. Yeah, there's a few PIA set of lights but at least it flows nice and better than using side streets to get around.
I don't miss driving down Springfield from Henderson to Lag one bit.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:29 PM
BANNED

Genstar will be holding an open house Feb. 27 Canad Inns Trancona for proposed developments in the area between Transcona and EK.

-Western extension of Kildare

-Extension of Devonshire Dr. west

-Twinning of Ravleston Ave east

-Extending Reenders Drive to Peguis

-Twinning/paving of Peguis from extended Reenders to CPR Keewatin rail line

-Closure of Almey at Lag.

-Construction of Ed Schreyer just west of Plessis from Regent to proposed extension of CP Trail

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Genstar will be holding an open house Feb. 27 Canad Inns Trancona for proposed developments in the area between Transcona and EK.

-Western extension of Kildare

-Extension of Devonshire Dr. west

-Twinning of Ravleston Ave east

-Extending Reenders Drive to Peguis

-Twinning/paving of Peguis from extended Reenders to CPR Keewatin rail line

-Closure of Almey at Lag.

-Construction of Ed Schreyer just west of Plessis from Regent to proposed extension of CP Trail
AHHHHHH! Can you tell I'm excited!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan