Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 25, 2008, 12:21 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
From: http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...rn1024-ON.html

Quote:
Future of Northern Parkway, fast alternative to I-10, taking shape
Oct. 24, 2008 08:01 AM
The Arizona Republic
For West Valley drivers fed up with slow options to head east, Northwest Parkway should provide relief. The six-lane roadway, made by widening and elevating Northern Avenue, will be the region's first fast east-west alternative to Interstate 10.

But the project hasn't come without critics. Glendale finally gains the cooperation of Peoria, where some residents will lose part or all of their land.

Northern Parkway timeline

• 2003: Plans to turn Northern Avenue into an elevated "superstreet" are discussed at public meetings in Peoria and Glendale. Peoria residents complain the project will bring more traffic, pollution and noise into their neighborhoods and take away some people's land. Traffic officials say the project is needed to accommodate the West Valley's growth.

• 2004: Maricopa County voters approve a half-cent sales tax until 2025 to fund various transportation projects, including a large part of the $307 million Northern Parkway. Glendale, Peoria and El Mirage would also pitch in money.

• 2006: Prices for construction materials skyrocket, doubling the cost for the 12.5-mile superstreet. Officials decide to build two-thirds of the project first, from Loop 303 to Loop 101, with the original funding plan. The stretch from Loop 101 to Grand Avenue will have to be built with other funding sources.

• 2006-08: The Glendale Transportation Department, with input from Peoria, El Mirage, the county and Luke Air Force Base, works on preliminary designs, acquires rights of way and works with the Federal Highway Administration to gain approval for funding.

• Summer 2008: Peoria residents and City Council members accuse Glendale of pressuring cooperation on Northern Parkway in order to get approval on a road project connecting Beardsley Road and Loop 101, which would benefit Peoria drivers.

• Fall 2008: Glendale, Peoria and El Mirage agree to partner on the project. The county transportation sales tax and federal highway funds will pay for 70 percent of the project, or $215 million. The additional $92 million will come from Glendale ($36.8 million), Maricopa County ($27.6 million), Peoria ($18.4 million) and El Mirage ($9.2 million).

• 2008-11: Widening to four-lane divided road with stop lights at each mile from Loop 303 to Dysart Road.

• 2011-15: Widening and improvements from Dysart Road to 111th Avenue, with frontage roads and a bridge over the Agua Fria River.

• 2015-25: Ultimate construction from Dysart Road to 103rd Avenue, including parkway elevation and interchanges instead of traffic lights, plus interim construction from 103rd to 91st avenues.

• Indeterminate future: Final construction of full project if funding is found, including major overpasses at Loop 101 and Grand Avenue.
Heres the map: http://www.azcentral.com/ic/communit...ernmap1024.pdf

I didn't realize it was only planned as going as far East as Grand. I definitely agree theres a huge need for an East-West high speed road in the West Valley, but it seems odd to stop it at Grand. I suppose any area East of Grand is probably too built up and would require too much imminent domain, though it does seem there would be need for an inner built between the 51 and 17, and from the 17 to Grand.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2008, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
As much as I support light rail, I think the Republic is getting carried away with the articles it has been running recently. Promising miracles everywhere along the line will only create unrealistic expectations and enable the rail-bashers to say "I told you so."
I wouldn't worry about the "told you so" people. I'm convinced if we could see where all these rail bashers are we would find most of them live way out in the suburbs and don't ever come to the central city. Far be it for the to understand there are other people in this city (or this planet for that matter) other than them. It always makes me laugh when people think the trains will be empty... they obviously never go near the areas where the train will run.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 3:05 PM

The Republic has been running a light rail related article seemingly every day, here's a few:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ngasu1028.html

Quote:
Lighting up Tempe's hopes for the future

Students, businesses look forward to light-rail launch
by Chad Graham - Oct. 28, 2008 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Tempe is putting its economic hopes into light rail. Just look at the bridge over Tempe Town Lake to see.

Each time a Metro light-rail train crosses into Tempe, it will set off a Vegas-style light show on the $22 million span.

The lights will be a continual reminder of how charged the city is about the $1.4 billion, 20-mile transportation system that launches Dec. 27.

Light rail could simplify the lives of Arizona State University students, reinvigorate the Mill Avenue business district and transform the Apache Boulevard area, once a bustling neighborhood but now troubled by crime and urban decline.

"The effect of the light rail all along the corridor in Tempe has been so dramatic, and it has been unabated," said Chris Salomone, Tempe's community-development manager. "It's all been incredibly fortunate for the city."

Many of the mixed-use projects planned along the light-rail route in Tempe are forging ahead despite the credit crisis that has stalled other Valley projects, officials said. Light rail has provided a bit of a buffer against the downturn.

Student benefit
Students, faculty and staff who travel among ASU's campuses in Tempe, central Phoenix, west Phoenix and Mesa hope light rail will make their daily routine more convenient.

Ram Pendyala is a professor of civil and environmental engineering at ASU who has spent much of his career studying how and why people use transportation systems. He believes students will be critical first-adopters of the system.

ASU now uses a system of free shuttles to transport students such as Mallory Kydd among campuses. The sophomore rides from Tempe to the new Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication in downtown Phoenix.

Kydd said the shuttle is a better alternative to driving, but there are drawbacks.

The buses can be packed and sometimes make her late to class.

Light rail should fix that problem.

Shuttle buses run every half-hour, but light rail will operate every 10 minutes during daytime hours.

The trip between Tempe and Phoenix is projected to take about 20 minutes, whereas the bus can take upward of 40 minutes during rush-hour traffic.

"I'm looking forward to the light rail coming every 10 minutes, and it'll make more stops where I need to be," said Sharon Ponce, a faculty associate at ASU's College of Nursing & Healthcare Innovation. She takes the free shuttle between Tempe to Phoenix three times a week.

Shuttles will transport riders from light-rail stations to the Polytechnic campus in Mesa as well as to the West campus in Phoenix.

Light rail also could mean savings for those able to park in a light-rail lot instead of parking on the Tempe campus. ASU charges $210 to $780 a year to park at its Tempe campus. Students holding a U-Pass card can ride the light rail, as well as take the Valley Metro bus, for free at all times. Faculty and staff can buy a U-Pass that can save them money on public transportation.

"Once people try it out, they're going to see the benefit of it," said Shereen Saurey, spokeswoman for ASU's Parking and Transit Services.

Beyond ASU
The Tempe Mission Palms Hotel is just one of the businesses along Mill Avenue that hopes to see a spike from light rail.

If a large convention coming to Phoenix needs to find additional hotel rooms in other Valley cities, for example, "we would become a natural for that because of the light rail," said Chris Kenney, director of sales and marketing. "It is really a benefit to our community."

Mill Avenue's restaurants and shops have not only taken a hit during the downturn as consumers cut spending but also from competition from Tempe Marketplace, an outdoor entertainment and shopping mall.

"Right now, it is going through a period of struggle," said Vic Linoff, who operated an antiques and bookstore on Mill Avenue for 35 years. The store recently closed. "It is struggling to find its appropriate identity in these changing times."

Linoff, who has already ridden the light rail, praised the system and believes it'll draw more visitors to Mill, especially those who are leery of the area's limited parking.

It could help develop future independent businesses that offer an alternative to chain stores found in a shopping mall.

City leaders and developers hope that the dozen or so projects planned for Mill Avenue, when combined with light rail, will give the area more of an urban-living vibe.

Light rail is a big part of establishing Mill and downtown Tempe as a place people want to live, said Casaundra Brown, spokeswoman for Downtown Tempe Community Inc., a non-profit that manages the area.

"People want to be able to leave their cars, hop on public transportation like the light rail and go to a game or maybe go to Mesa and be able to come back here and walk home," she said.

The trains, for example, will connect sports fans to Sun Devil Stadium and theatergoers to Gammage Auditorium.

Apache to benefit most
The biggest economic-development benefit of light rail in Tempe may come to Apache Boulevard.

For decades, the route southeast of downtown was a part of the old U.S. 60, which connected travelers to Phoenix, Tucson and Prescott. Tourist traps, gas stations, motor lodges and restaurants sprang up along the busy route. It spurred the development of Tempe's first subdivisions in the 1940s.

The area, however, began to decline in the 1960s and 1970s, when it was bypassed by Interstate 10 and the Superstition Freeway. The properties along Apache Boulevard were zoned for commercial highway development and were narrow and therefore difficult to redevelop. The area began its decline and became a place known for prostitution.

In the mid-1990s, Tempe officials launched a redevelopment plan.

Farouk Almarayati, owner of Haji-Baba International Foods near Apache Boulevard and Loop 101, said the area has seen improvements, but the turnaround has been slow.He hopes the light rail speeds that process. He also hopes that the street feels more connected to downtown Tempe and that businesses have nice storefronts that let people window-shop. "But that's long-term," he said. "We're going to have to wait and see."

During the past handful of years, as the transportation system became a reality, city officials saw property values triple, said Salomone, Tempe's community-development manager.

Even in the downturn, which has dropped prices, about 10 projects are still being built in the Apache corridor.

"The flattening of the economy did cause some readjustments along Apache Boulevard," he said. "In particular, we saw more of the dense condominium projects convert to student-housing projects, which are more recession-proof.

"The few projects that have been stalled will come back sooner because of the light rail."
From: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...riefs1025.html
Quote:
Briefs: Light-rail volunteers sought
Oct. 23, 2008 04:48 PM
With celebrations across the 20-mile alignment and more than 200,000 people expected, Metro light rail is seeking volunteer support for the launch of Arizona's light-rail system Dec. 26-28.

Volunteers, or "Metro Ambassadors," are needed to support the many aspects of a launch party this large. Ambassadors will be asked to greet and queue passengers at platforms, provide information about the day's events and how light rail works, assist in set-up and breakdown at events and monitor for safety.

To sign up, visit www.metrolightrail.org/grandopening for an application and more details on Metro's grand opening. The deadline to apply is Nov. 14.
from: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...tions1022.html

Quote:
Light-rail stations reflect neighborhoods
by Ron Sanzone - Oct. 21, 2008 11:45 AM
The Arizona Republic
Each of Metro light rail's 28 starter line stations has a unique design, with special efforts taken to reflect the neighborhoods where stations are located.

Mike James, who spent seven years working for Metro as a station planner and architect, spoke to The Republic about the stations, which will be in full operation Dec. 27 when light rail begins running between north-central Phoenix and Mesa.

Question: How do the stations reflect the neighborhoods they're in?

Answer: Before we started the station design process, we had a designers meeting in each neighborhood. People were asked how the stations could reflect the neighborhoods. We didn't want to distract from the architectural character of the existing buildings. We wanted to fit in the context of the area. The scale is one way. . . . A lot of the art reflects back to surrounding types of activities going on there. Color is another way. It reflects adjacent buildings.

Q: If you had had an unlimited budget, is there anything you would have done differently with the station design?

A: In the past, someone said let's put these stations indoors and air-condition them. It would have been nice to have a water feature like a cool wall, but there were budget issues with that. As we looked at it, the maintenance costs were quite high. . . . While some water features would have helped a little bit, the maintenance and the costs would have been really tough.

A few stations' unique features

• Encanto Central station (Central Avenue and Encanto Boulevard). The station art reflects the nearby Heard Museum with pre-Columbian, Indian and modern motifs used. One section of the art has towers, which reflect high-rises on both sides of the station.

• Downtown Tempe/Town Lake station (Mill Avenue/Third Street). The station is adjacent to what used to be a large park area. In the future, that site will be developed, so the design team wanted to retain the concept of a green space, an oasis within the downtown Tempe area. The south side of station incorporates windows allowing a rider to stand on the platform and look out from the station. Green trellises are also on the outside of the station platform, not just in the middle as is the case with all the other stations. There is an etched glass piece depicting canopies of the trees in the nearby green space. It will be a permanent reminder of what was there in case the trees are someday cut down.

• GateWay Community College station (38th Street/Washington). One of the themes of the station, not far from Sky Harbor Airport, is the evolution of airplanes. There are art pieces that look like 12 airplane wings. The wings have cutouts in them that direct the sunlight going through them to specific spots on the ground. This enables the creation of a sundial calendar.

• Downtown Phoenix station (northbound platform on Washington/Central Avenue). There is more urban hardscape than at other stations, which works well with an adjacent plaza. The station has historical artwork of downtown Phoenix.

• Third Street and Jefferson station. Not only is artwork integrated into design, so are things like lights. At this station, the sleek modern lights herald the many cultural events nearby.
From: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...trail1024.html
Quote:
Metro light rail to expand testing to entire line
Oct. 24, 2008 03:05 PM
The Republic | azcentral.com
Metro light rail will expand testing across all 20 miles of the line starting next week.

Until now, tests have been limited to the track south of McDowell Road, in downtown Phoenix, along Washington Street and through Tempe and Mesa.

Vehicles will now begin regular testing on Central AvenueIn addition, some trains will go all the way to the end of the line in Phoenix at 19th Avenue and Montebello.

Testing primarily occurs during the day. However, in coming weeks testing will also take place at night to simulate service.

Expect a train anytime, from either direction, according to Hillary Foose, spokeswoman for Metro light rail. She says testing will continue to ramp up and become more recurring in the weeks leading up to the system's grand opening on Dec. 27.

Testing will become so regular, in fact, it will appear as though Metro is in service, she said.

Each train is required to travel 1,000 miles during testing before it can be placed into regular service. Testing also helps Metro coordinate the various systems needed for light rail to run.

With trains testing at such a regular pace, Metro offers these guidelines to staying safe around light rail:

• Light rail is quiet; look and listen for the train.

• Obey the traffic signals; stop on red.

• Use the crosswalks and obey all signals.

• Stay off the trackway; never drive, bike, walk or skateboard on the tracks.

• Stay clear of the overhead wires; they are energized.

So far, Metro has not had a serious accident. For more on how to ride and ways to be safe around light rail, visit www.metrolightrail.org.
They weren't kidding about the trains running quite often. I had to go to Lux yesterday and I drove along the line from Tempe to Midtown and saw quite a few trains. I tried to snap a few photos while I was driving:

Also I didn't get a picture of it, but I noticed at one of the downtown stations the dot matrix video screen had little flames on it and it said "Yes we know its hot, but its a dry heat!" I suppose this bit of helpful understanding is in lieu of installing misters at the stations.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 8:25 PM

I saw a train for the first time running as I was randomly headed past the ASU game (I didn't go to the game, but I was in the area) Saturday night. I'm getting really excited!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkfromaz View Post
I saw a train for the first time running as I was randomly headed past the ASU game (I didn't go to the game, but I was in the area) Saturday night. I'm getting really excited!
They had the trains operating on a normal schedule before, during, and after the game. It was cool to see the trains every 10 minutes. There were cops all over the place making sure people didn't get hurt from the train.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 1:06 AM
under the influence...

There were 10 trains lined up back-to-back along Washington St. today, near the branch to the maintenance center. Quite a site to see really, almost like a parade...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 3:13 AM

While on campus today, I saw and heard for the first time a LRT near the school at Indian School and Central. I heard the horn and looked over while walking between buildings, and the train whizzed by heading southbound. It was a sight I will never forget, and this is a good thing for Phoenix.

--don

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 4:05 AM
I like this much better

Hope the cars have killer AC units...

But it's great to see this in Phoenix. I hated living there without a car, was always wishing for something like this.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 3:45 PM

This was in the Republic this morning. Kind of sad... Sorry I didnt transfer it the right way, I didnt feel like bothering to figure out how

Phoenix cuts early-morning, late-night bus runs

59 comments by Casey Newton - Oct. 29, 2008 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Early-morning and late-night bus hours will be eliminated and Saturday service reduced in Phoenix as the city makes unprecedented budget cuts.

On Tuesday, the City Council voted unanimously to eliminate all trips before 5 a.m. and after 10 p.m. In addition, Saturday service will be reduced to match Sunday levels, a reduction of 24 percent.

The reductions go into effect Dec. 29, leaving thousands of people to find new ways of getting from place to place.

Transit advocates and bus riders protested the move, saying that eliminating bus service would disproportionately affect the poor and residents with disabilities. Donna Powers, who uses a wheelchair, said reducing bus service would make it harder for transit-dependent people to work and shop, compounding the city's economic woes.

"If people can't ride, there's going to be less buying," Powers said. "We tend to overlook the fact."

The weekday routes being eliminated account for 3,600 boardings per day. Council members said they had little choice but to accept the staff's recommendation.

"It's very painful," Councilwoman Peggy Neely said.

The move, which will save $7.4 million between now and July 2010, comes as collections from Phoenix's Transit 2000 tax have fallen 6.9 percent over the past year.

The transit tax paid for a large expansion of Phoenix's bus service in 2000.

"Our problem is that there is not enough money coming in to pay for the services we have," City Manager Frank Fairbanks said.

Further reductions to bus service will be made in July, as Phoenix attempts to close a $250 million budget deficit, officials said.

An additional $10 million may need to be cut from the transit budget, said Tom Callow, a deputy city manager.

In a separate move, the Regional Public Transportation Authority is considering a fare increase to offset part of the budget deficit.

Phoenix hopes to restore the routes when the economy improves.

In the meantime, though, bus riders lamented the loss of the service.

"There are times when I have to be somewhere after 10 p.m.," said Lisa Dugan, who is blind. She said that absent other options, she would have to rely on friends and family for transportation.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 4:33 PM

So one of my buddies just sent me a link to this flyer, a special promotion they're having for the St Louis MetroLink (light rail):

I really hope we eventually have something like that, its so silly and ridiculous, it seems tremendous. Plus Don could wear a tuxedo top and his short shorts, that would be something to see.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfom View Post
This was in the Republic this morning. Kind of sad... Sorry I didnt transfer it the right way, I didnt feel like bothering to figure out how

Phoenix cuts early-morning, late-night bus runs

I'm curious what that means for the light rail hours. It's my understanding that the trains were supposed to start at 4:40AM and run until at least midnight. If there aren't any buses running before 5AM or after 10PM, unless you live right on the light rail line, there isn't any reason or convenience to having trains run either. The cuts start on the same day that the LRT starts regular service too. I understand the need to cut budgets in this economic climate, but that really seems counter productive to me

Does anyone know if the cuts effect only Phoenix service or all Valley Metro routes?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 4:10 AM
BANNED

trains downtown were running every 10 minutes today. It was weird they were actually part of the city as I was watching them riding around on my bike and when I ate at Z Pizza (yuck, still.)

The only thing that bewildered me is the train stopped for a red light at Monroe rather than having all the cars stopped. I was in the left turn lane and it was sitting right next to me and I got arrow before it got the green light. Really odd, I can't believe they would actually do that when it gets up and running.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 5:02 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
I'm curious what that means for the light rail hours. It's my understanding that the trains were supposed to start at 4:40AM and run until at least midnight. If there aren't any buses running before 5AM or after 10PM, unless you live right on the light rail line, there isn't any reason or convenience to having trains run either. The cuts start on the same day that the LRT starts regular service too. I understand the need to cut budgets in this economic climate, but that really seems counter productive to me

Does anyone know if the cuts effect only Phoenix service or all Valley Metro routes?
It probably means we can kiss any hope of later hours on weekends goodbye for now, although I doubt we'll see light rail hours shortened to less than already announced.

The cuts approved by the City Council apply only within Phoenix city limits, but I would not be surprised to see similar cuts in the suburbs.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 2:53 PM

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...fares1030.html

Quote:
Light-rail, bus fares may go up due to increased costs
by Kerry Fehr-Snyder - Oct. 30, 2008 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic
Before the Valley's light-rail service ever begins, the cost to ride the train and city buses may be headed up.

The issue of raising the Valley's regional fare policy has been brewing for several months as transit officials have struggled to cover rising gas prices and other increased operation costs, said Greg Jordan, Tempe's transit administrator. Transit and light-rail costs are covered by a half-cent sales tax, which has fallen over the past year.

Sales-tax revenue fell by about 8 percent in August compared with the same month a year ago, according to the Maricopa Association of Governments.

Proposals to raise fares are expected to come before Valley Metro's board, which oversees bus and light-rail service and is comprised of Valley mayors and City Council members, in January and February.

The first fare increase could come as early as summer. The second increase would follow in summer 2010. Fare changes proposed over two years are:

• Local day passes would rise to $4.50 from $2.50.

• Express day passes would rise to $6.50 from $3.50.

• Thirty-one-day local passes would increase to $55 from $45, while 31-day express passes would rise to $85 from $68.

• Local passes would rise to $1.75 from $1.25.

• Express fares would rise to $2.75 from $1.75.

"It's very preliminary," Valley Metro spokeswoman Susan Tierney said.

The increases, if approved, are expected to reduce ridership while increasing revenue. The proposed increases are projected to generate $76 million more in fare revenue from July 2010 through July 2013 while decreasing passenger boardings by 28 million over the same period, according to an estimate compiled by Jordan.

Bus riders reacted with anger at the prospect of rising fares.

"Right now, with how the economy is going, people can't afford to pay more," said Susan Islas, a Mesa High School cafeteria worker who was waiting for a bus Tuesday morning.

The changes would mark the first hike in about a year and the second in 13 years.

This past December, Valley Metro, the regional bus operator, increased the price of 31-day passes to $45 from $34 for local buses and $68 from $51 for express buses. At that time, it also reduced the cost of all-day bus passes to $2.50 from $3.60.

Kevin Mason, a 20-year-old Mesa Community College student who lives in Tempe, said it's understandable that Valley Metro is blaming rising gas prices as a reason for hiking bus fares.

"Gas prices, yeah, but that's why people take the bus in the first place," he said.

Kerry Thatcher, a Mesa resident who works at Fiesta Mall, said she doesn't have much choice but to pay the new bus fares if they are approved by Valley Metro's board of directors.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 3:05 PM

That sucks. But how close are the possible new fares in comparison to other cities?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 3:39 PM

4.50 for a day pass is just way too high.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfom View Post
4.50 for a day pass is just way too high.
Indeed, however, and I know this probably makes me a bad person but, when I was in St Louis I can't recall every paying to ride their light rail. I'd just hop on and ride to my destination, there was rarely ever anyone checking tickets and if there was I'd just hop off the train before they got to me Such is the life of a college kid I suppose.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 8:42 PM

Why dont they do more with adjusting schedules vs. bumping up the price (which really doesnt benefit). Also, I hate to say this, but this makes the light rail much less appealing to me. I don't have much expendable income, and if it costs less to drive I am probably going to do it. At $4.50 I would be hard pressed to take LR.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
That sucks. But how close are the possible new fares in comparison to other cities?
It sounds like some of us have a bit of sticker shock. While it's a big increase for locals, it seems to be right in line or cheaper then other major cities.

Here's what I found for day passes...

Denver: $5.25
San Diego: $5.00
Chicago: $5.00
NYC: $7.00
Los Angeles: $5.00

For one way...

LA: $1.25
San Diego: $2.50
San Francisco: $1.50

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 10:21 PM

Maybe there is some sticker shock, I looked at the cost of DC metro which I always use when I go into the city and it wasn't really better. Here, I am used to driving because I know my way around. The thing is, there is a lot more stuff to do in other places than on our line (at least right now). Honestly I wish it ran to Biltmore area and Scottsdale right now. As it stands, Tempe is the only place far enough away but appealing that isn't really close to where I live.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest