HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 10:39 PM
I am a typical

I'm sure they'll figure it out when the project gets underway. Has anyone mentioned it at an open house? There will be more so if it hasn't been brought up there is still a chance.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I'm sure they'll figure it out when the project gets underway. Has anyone mentioned it at an open house? There will be more so if it hasn't been brought up there is still a chance.
Not to my recollection. I'll start diseminating the idea and see if it takes.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 2:19 AM
Urban Fanactic

From the Sault Star. Can't find a rendering for this one yet.
Quote:
A Toronto group has its eye on the Sault skyline after purchasing the former Northern Breweries site on Bay Street last week.

And before long the condominium complex the group plans to build on the 1.8-acre site at 503 Bay St. will probably catch the eye of everyone who passes.

Sun Avalone Health Care Partners Inc., has started the ball rolling toward construction of a 272-unit residential condominium/commercial/m edical complex that will be unique to the Sault and enhance the local waterfront, says Nirmala Singh, a co-ordinator with Sun Avalone.

Singh says the one-, two-and three-bedroom residential units will be "very affordable." There will also be five floors of large penthouse units.

"The use of the building is private residences, medical training and a suite of medical offices, and there will also be some additional commercial space." said Singh, who was in the Sault on Thursday with the lead architect of the project and a construction representative from southern Ontario.

Singh says the suite of medical offices will include a walk-in clinic, chiropractic, physiotherapy and optometrist services, as well as a laboratory and X-ray facility. The building will also house a medical school for training nurses.
Read more here:
http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3175302

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 4:40 AM
I am a typical

I hope they're successful. Since Sault Ste. Marie's tallest is about tied with Thunder Bay's and Sudbury's, this will be a new tallest conventional highrise in Northern Ontario, possibly the tallest building, if it is taller than a couple of Thunder Bay's grain elevators.

Thunder Bay's waterfront hotelier has apparently been "chosen" and I think we might find out during tonight's (Monday's) council meeting, when they approve (if things go well) the increase in height from 25 to 27 meters.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 7:01 PM
I am a typical

Downtown map
including various proposals and visions. You have to download the document (and possibly update Adobe reader) to view the notes.

Anything I've left out?

Here is the raster version.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 11:56 PM

Looks good.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 2:11 AM
I am a typical

Thanks.

As you may or may not know, a map is never finished. I added some more earlier but I'm not going to both re-uploading it for just a few minor changes.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 2:00 AM
Urban Fanactic

College lays groundwork for new building

From the Sault Star

Quote:
Sault College is moving quickly to prepare for construction of its new health and wellness centre.

The post-secondary institution's board of governors agreed with president Ron Common's recommendation to begin work on the $11.5-million building immediately.

A request for proposal for design, build and construction is expected to be put out to tender by the second week of July, said Common on Thursday.

The two-storey, 45,000-square-foot building has a projected opening of fall 2012.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 8:52 PM
Urban Fanactic

Funding set for next phase of Sault solar power

From Sootoday.

Quote:
Starwood Energy Group Global, LLC (Starwood Energy), a private investment firm focused on energy infrastructure projects, today announced that its affiliate, Starwood SSM3 Canada, L.P., has reached financial close on a 10 megawatt (MW) AC solar photovoltaic project in the City of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario (Starwood SSM3).

The project builds on the success of Starwood SSM1, a 20MW AC project that came online in October 2010, and Starwood SSM2, a 30MW AC project expected to be completed during Q3 2011.

Starwood SSM3 is contracted under the Renewable Energy Standard Offer Program (RESOP) developed and overseen by the Ontario Power Authority (OPA) and will connect to local utility PUC Distribution, Inc.

The combined 60MW AC project, when complete, will be the second largest in North America and among the largest in the world.
Read more: http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ryNumber=52852

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 3:00 AM
Urban Fanactic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwils01 View Post
From the Sault Star. Can't find a rendering for this one yet.

Read more here:
http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3175302
Finally got a rendering of the tower, my parents had to mail me a copy of the paper.
The tower will be 43 floors and about 146m. I hope it stays this way but I'm sure it will be reduced.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 3:12 AM
I am a typical

That can't possibly be proposed for Sault Ste. Marie.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 3:21 AM
Urban Fanactic

But it is.
I'm sure if it goes through, it won't be this tall, maybe only 20 floors.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 3:26 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
But it is.
I'm sure if it goes through, it won't be this tall, maybe only 20 floors.
I hope it's 40 floors. That way, not only is Kenora dejected by not having the tallest building between Winnipeg and Toronto, but us Ottawans can finally say: "look, even Sault-Ste. Marie has taller buildings than Ottawa!"
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 3:28 AM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay has the tallest building between Winnipeg and Toronto (Canada Malting Elevator); Sudbury has the tallest highrise (I think it's called Balmoral Towers?). Kenora has the tallest hotel between Winnipeg and Toronto. I think Sault Ste. Marie has the hotel with the most rooms. I think the tallest office building between the two cities is Tom Davie's Square, Sudbury's city hall.

The tallest smoke stack is the superstack, and the tallest TV tower (as far as I know) is the CHFD-TV tower east of Thunder Bay. (It's the 9th tallest thing in Canada, and the tallest object in Northern Ontario; the top of it, even though it is on a mountain, is still at a lower altitude than the CN Tower's pinnacle, which is the highest point in Ontario as far as I know.)

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 4:25 AM
Urban Fanactic

From what I'm hearing back home demolition of the brewery should be sometime this fall.

Also city council have been talking about the proposal. Looks like it might not be as big as the rendering shows.

I just hope that it will be tall enough to become our city's tallest of even Northern Ontario's tallest building.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Finally got a rendering of the tower, my parents had to mail me a copy of the paper.
The tower will be 43 floors and about 146m. I hope it stays this way but I'm sure it will be reduced.
Looks like this one in Panama City:

(from VIP at SSC)

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 12:30 AM

Today I went and took photos of some of the construction around Thunder Bay. (Click on images for larger version)

Shoppers Drug Mart at Red River & Junot

EMS Headquarters on Junot Ave

Office Building at William & Balmoral

Siding being repainted at Victoriaville Mall (Archibald Entrance)

Consolidated Courthouse from Victoriaville Parkette

DSSAB Building at Arthur & May

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 2:17 PM

nice pictures russman

there's also construction going on at the corner of Balmoral and Hewitson - not sure what is going in there

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 12:21 AM
Urban Fanactic

Anybody from Thunder Bay got pictures of the re-clad of Waverley Park Tower, I want to see how it turned out.

Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 12:24 AM
I am a typical

It's still underway. They've got most of the eastern wing of the building, and are now working primarily on the southwest wing. At the rate they're going I'm not sure if it will be completed this year...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario