HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 6:07 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
"Only in Winnipeg are people happy to block development."

Not true. Seven years after a 70m (that is, 70m high, 250m long and 200m wide) grain elevator was demolished on our waterfront, people don't want the empty site developed because it is parkland.

It's actually a pile of rubble, blocked off to human access, and across a small bay from one of the worst industrial "accidents" in Ontario. (The blob)

What are they opposing? Three six story buildings, to be built near other six storey buildings and a parking lot.

Winnipeg isn't the only city that likes to block developments.
Add Edmonton to that list, believe it or not.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 2:19 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
"Only in Winnipeg are people happy to block development."

Not true. Seven years after a 70m (that is, 70m high, 250m long and 200m wide) grain elevator was demolished on our waterfront, people don't want the empty site developed because it is parkland.

It's actually a pile of rubble, blocked off to human access, and across a small bay from one of the worst industrial "accidents" in Ontario. (The blob)

What are they opposing? Three six story buildings, to be built near other six storey buildings and a parking lot.

Winnipeg isn't the only city that likes to block developments.
Winnipeg and TB needs each other.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 3:22 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

The part that made me angry about the article is that when it comes to the Exchange District Gord Sinclair is nowhere to be found.

Here we have an existing neighbourhood under seige and this guy is off in la-la-land defending a fort that hasn't existed for 80 years.

Even worst he takes a cheap shot at Crystal Developments for doing something nobody else has the balls to do; build downtown.

If you ask me a 100+ higher end apartments will do a lot more good for downtown than some desolate park.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 3:26 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

If you ask me a 100+ higher end apartments will do a lot more good for downtown than some desolate park.
yes!

besides the park that is there now is just right with the old growth tress gives it a very unique feel why mess with that only thing that should go is that bilbord of the old house

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 5:58 AM

I'm sure Winnipeggers are brimming with enthusiasm at the idea of going to a park that is seperated from any service by arguably the busiest section of roadway in town.

Yes, it is close to the Forks, and if people want to go to the Forks, they wont stop off at Gordon Sinclair's puppet park on the way. Symbolically, it is completely irrelevant. It's about as historically important to Manitoba as Jamestown is to Americans. You know, pretty much in history books only. It's not as though the entire area is being filled with concrete. It is a relatively small portion. A park and interpretive centre can still exist in a smaller scale alongside the residential tower.

Again, this wouldn't be a major park. It would be a minor park, and with that being the case, it shouldn't be treated with the same social (re: Gordon Sinclair) protective clauses, as that of Assiniboine, Kildonan or St. Vital.

If the city's elite really wants to do something nice for greenspace, the titled "Garbage Hill" could be a green haven for pedestrians and the light industrial in the area alike. It is as far as I know, the highest point of elevation in the ity proper and gives you views you cannot get anywhere else in the capital region. A beautifying effort would be well served there. As opposed to a little nook that is a 5 minute walk from where you really want to be.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 6:32 AM
Back from the dead

Hmmmm...so they found a "historical artifact" that might block this development. No surprise of course. The fact that it was buried and nobody had any idea it was there in the first place means diddly of course. Meh, whatever. I wonder if the NIMBY's feel like the Crusaders did when they "found" the "True Cross". Watch "Kingdom of Heaven" to see how the "True Cross" helped them out against Saladin. Hopefully the NIMBY's repeat the performance.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 1:22 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Upper Fort Garry finds a new friend
Councillor opposes development next to site

Fri Nov 16 2007

By Bartley Kives | Winnipeg Free Press

THE Friends of Upper Fort Garry have finally caught a break in their crusade to push an apartment building off the edge of the historic site, as a member of Mayor Sam Katz's cabinet has joined their cause.

Six months after the city approved the sale of land southwest of the old fort's footprint to Crystal Developers, downtown development committee chairman Russ Wyatt is now opposed to a residential building next to the site.

In May, the $1.8-million deal sparked protests from The Friends, a non-profit group that wants to build an historic park where the city's birthplace once stood.

The group's cause appeared doomed until October, when an archeological dig found the former fort's northwestern bastion three metres to the west of where it was expected, surprising historians and effectively reducing the size of the developer's parcel of land.

While the city's Land Use Division and Crystal Developers try to hash out a reduction in the sale price, Wyatt changed his mind and is now calling on the company's owner, Ruben Spletzer, to back out of the project.

"In light of the new archeological evidence, the developer's site is smaller and the fort's footprint is even bigger. I would encourage Mr. Spletzer to reconsider," Wyatt said Thursday.

"We don't have a great appreciation of history in this. This is the trading post that opened up Western Canada. You wouldn't put an apartment building on the Plains of Abraham."

Spletzer could not be reached for comment. But Harold Buchwald, a spokesman for Friends of Upper Fort Garry, was elated by Wyatt's change of heart.

"I'm very excited he's taking this leadership and he's seeing the virtue of (an historic park) over a commercial development," said Buchwald, whose group has pledged to raise $2.5 million toward a $12 million park supported by all three levels of government.

"We have credible, reliable people ready to go out and develop this -- if we have something to develop."

The Friends' membership includes former Manitoba Premiers Duff Roblin and Gary Filmon, former Gov.-Gen. Ed Schreyer and Lt.-Gov. Pearl McGonigal, ex-mayor Bill Norrie and businessman George Richardson, Leonard Asper, John Buhler, Bob Chipman and Bob Silver.

But so far, these heavyweights have not raised a single penny toward a historic park, Buchwald conceded.

Winnipeg, meanwhile, is in a poor position to fund a new park, as the city is having trouble maintaining approximately 900 existing parks and open spaces, including its decaying flagship, Assiniboine Park.

Manitoba already has 113 provincial heritage sites. And the federal government only manages seven out of Manitoba's 55 National Historic Sites.

That said, Parks Canada is interested in working with whoever winds up managing Upper Fort Garry to enhance the profile of the city's birthplace and possibly connect a future park to the nearby Forks National Historic Site.

"We've sat in on meetings about Upper Fort Garry Gate. Obviously, it's linked to The Forks and it's of national historic significance," said Dawn Bronson, the superintendent of Parks Canada's Manitoba Field Unit.

But Parks Canada is unlikely to contribute significant funding or hands-on management.

"Over the past 25 years, we have assumed management of very few national historic sites," Bronson said.

bartley.kives@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 1:24 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Well boys, anyone want to join me as I wash away my sorrow with a bottle of cerveza in Winnipeg's newest neglected park?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 2:37 PM

Do you think anybody at the Free Press will eventually spell Rubin Spletzer's name correctly?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 3:44 PM

Unfortunately, my hope now is geared towards finding Crystal Properties a new location, in a property swap of sorts, to allow construction to go ahead, at least somewhere else in the downtown core. I'm disappointed, to say the least.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 4:47 PM
the first stamp is free

^ they could build that building a little further down on Assiniboine where that 100 year old complex of apartments is slated to get demolished...? What about the Dubrovnik's site?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 5:49 PM
surely you agree with me

you should not believe everything you read in the free press. Not only does Wyatt have his info wrong, the decision for the sale does not go back to council.....i'm not sure what he could possibly do now to kill the sale of property.

the tower is not dead.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Well boys, anyone want to join me as I wash away my sorrow with a bottle of cerveza in Winnipeg's newest neglected park?
Are you serious?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
you should not believe everything you read in the free press. Not only does Wyatt have his info wrong, the decision for the sale does not go back to council.....i'm not sure what he could possibly do now to kill the sale of property.

the tower is not dead.
I certainly hope not. I love the site, and think it would be a fantastic addition. It's not so much that I'm a crystal properties lover that I want them there, but more that I am such a huge proponent of downtown residency, that there is little that I wouldn't do to get people living downtown. That is the ONLY way, downtown will ever revitalize that. Certainly this project on its own won't accomplish the task, but I believe it is one of many very important steps.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 12:46 AM

"We don't have a great appreciation of history in this. This is the trading post that opened up Western Canada. You wouldn't put an apartment building on the Plains of Abraham."

i really do not understand the big deal here. has he not noticed the parking lot that covers the majority of the site now....where was the appreciation of history when they paved over this buried archeological evidence in the first place?

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 1:00 AM
I am a typical

Fuck, we turned Fort William into an oil tank field, and now it's contaminated soil and blocked off from human interaction!

I'd rather a high rise, myself.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 1:16 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post

i really do not understand the big deal here. has he not noticed the parking lot that covers the majority of the site now....where was the appreciation of history when they paved over this buried archeological evidence in the first place?
There wasn't as much appreciation then. How does it follow that we shouldn't be more careful now? Having said that, I would have thought there was room for both an expanded historical site and some sort of apartment building. But if there's demand for downtown housing, then why wouldn't they build in another location? That one doesn't seem particularly special.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 1:27 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yea but they did preserve the gate for future genirtions to injoy and fixed the hudge crack that had indangerd it in the early 1900's

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 1:41 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
yea but they did preserve the gate for future genirtions to injoy and fixed the hudge crack that had indangerd it in the early 1900's
Yes, saving the gate was one of the earliest examples of the development of historical consciousness in the city.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 2:16 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

and so we have this tiny park that is pefect size for a urban gem... it just needs some tlc and to get rid of that stupid bilbord....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan