HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 2:56 PM

More negative talk about Jansen in the Aussie press and from London:

Potash hubris
Potash has the potential to be a fifth "pillar" for BHP, under management's simplification of the miner.
But Gait cannot understand why BHP has not yet shelved the Jansen potash mine – the last of the megaprojects – as it has its other two megaprojects, the Port Hedland Outer Harbour, and Olympic Dam open pit.
"The economics of the potash market will, we believe, continue to deteriorate for incumbents and hold absolutely no room for a new entrant, particularly one which will have the impact of Jansen", located 135 kilometres east of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
"But the real concern about Jansen is what it reveals about BHP's thinking around capital allocation, we have yet to encounter anyone, other than BHP, who thinks the investment makes sense and there is a word for this – hubris.
"However, there may be another reason for Jansen; it may be a stalking horse to facilitate an acquisitive entry into potash."
BHP could think it has the mandate for more large-scale acquisitions, with the obvious candidates being either potash (Potash Corp or Mosaic) or in petroleum (BG), Gait says.
But Gait's view is at odds with that presented by BHP management, who have all but ruled out acquisitions.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/minin...#ixzz3O9D364zb

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 7:00 PM

speaking of Jansen, has anyone else heard rumours that the two current shaft projects have hit....obstacles and are delayed/stalled/having problems particularly with the blairmore formations?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 3:45 PM

http://www.progressiverailroading.co...-estate--43268

Rail News: Canadian Pacific
CP enters joint venture with DREAM Unlimited to develop surplus real estate

Canadian Pacific and DREAM Unlimited Corp. this morning announced an agreement to form DREAM Van Horne Properties (DREAM VHP), a joint venture designed to help the Class I develop its surplus real estate.

"Since mid-2012, CP has undergone a remarkable business transformation that has generated significant surplus real estate," CP Chief Executive Officer E. Hunter Harrison said in a prepared statement. "The formation of DREAM VHP is the result of a comprehensive selection process to find the right partner with the expertise and vision necessary to unlock the significant long-term shareholder value from those assets."

CP's portfolio of surplus real estate properties includes Schiller Park, a 75-acre site in Chicago; Obico, a 74-acre site near Toronto; South Edmonton Yard, a 92-acre site close to downtown Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; and Lucien L'allier, a 3-acre site in downtown Montreal.

"We believe that there is unlimited potential to work together to develop land that has benefitted from the growth of our cities," said DREAM Unlimited CEO Michael Cooper.

CP should get on it and redevelop their 450 acres of yard in Winnipeg! Although obviously way more expensive and likely less desirable land than some of these other redevelopments.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
CP should get on it and redevelop their 450 acres of yard in Winnipeg! Although obviously way more expensive and likely less desirable land than some of these other redevelopments.
"For sale: 450 acres of heavily contaminated former railway land in the most economically depressed and crime-ridden part of Winnipeg"

Line up to the right, gentlemen!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
"For sale: 450 acres of heavily contaminated former railway land in the most economically depressed and crime-ridden part of Winnipeg"

Line up to the right, gentlemen!
Oh, oh, oh! [jumping up and down, hand in air]

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 5:17 PM

lol! Yeah but it's the great divide segregating certain classes of people from the rest, right?! It's just soo easy to get the railway out and bring new, urban utopian life to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 5:19 PM

Quote:
lol! Yeah but it's the great divide segregating certain classes of people from the rest, right?! It's just soo easy to get the railway out and bring new, urban utopian life to Winnipeg.
Winnipeg pretty much returns to a state of Garden of Eden-like bliss once we get rid of the railyards. Or so Pat Martin tells us.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 5:46 PM

Quote:
In fact, thousands of years of tribal association and societies of like-minded people gathering and settling in common areas is completely undone just by removing railyards.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 6:47 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
The neighbourhoods on either side of the CP yards are pretty much the same.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 7:29 PM

^Yes, I know. I was more poking at the whole rationale behind relocating the yards. It has been said many times the yards act/acted as this divide that separated the poor north end from downtown, and thus the rest of civilization.

My reason for posting the article was because I thought it was interesting and relevant to the somewhat ongoing talk of yard relocation. They come up every few years, with some seriousness every decade it seems. Also brings some scale to the subject. As you can see Winnipeg's yards are much, much larger than some of the other project that are always used as a comparison. "Well Regina and Edmonton can do it, so why not Winnipeg?!" kind of thing.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 7:35 PM

I'm sure it will happen some day, but there are a lot of stars that have to line up before it can happen. The immense cleanup costs will have to be justified by a high property value, and things just aren't there yet.

I don't see this as a bad thing though. Rather than developing for development's sake, it's better to wait until market demand is there to build something useful and impressive.

If you want an example, look at the old CN yards in Edmonton. They were ripped out in the early 90s at a time when downtown Ed was in its doldrums, as was the economy in general. The early developments were mostly crappy strip malls and wood-frame walkup apartments... the only highlight was the Grant McEwan campus. Contrast that with what's being built now, with downtown on the upswing... office towers and the new Oilers rink. I'd rather wait until there is a real and genuine market need for that land.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 2:42 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 11:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Bang on!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:13 PM
Transit Nerd

I'm rarely on here anymore... bu this caught my attention the other day:

http://www.steinbachonline.com/local...-new-scu-opens

Quote:
Excitement is building among staff and customers of Steinbach Credit Union. Their new building is only about five months away from opening day. Chief Executive Officer Glenn Friesen says he can't wait to have all employees at one location. He adds construction is moving along well.
And also:
\
http://www.steinbachonline.com/local...d-in-steinbach

Quote:
Steinbach city council has approved a subdivision plan for a new commercial area being opened up by a local developer. It is located on 50 acres along the west side of Highway #12, just north of Big Freight and will have 17 lots of various sizes. Mayor Chris Goertzen says council was unanimous in approving the plan.

"This was a number of years in the making when it comes to this subdivision. It's a large commercial area right at the edge of our city. It's the last major piece along the Highway #12 North commercial corridor. It's really good to see this come to fruition, to see the developer making this happen. There'll be a number of businesses that will locate there, there will be many people employed there and it will also help the city in added taxes so that we can continue to provide good services for our citizens."

Last edited by armorand93; Jan 30, 2015 at 5:26 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 2:48 PM

It doesn't look it in the photo, but the new SCU is an absolute beast in person.

Not excited about the commercial plan though. I hate that format.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 5:16 PM

Nice to see continuous job creation and employment growth in the Steinbach area and the Pembina triangle. A lot of it is based on manufacturing of various sorts and flies in the face of the "manufacturing is dead in Canada" mantra that you often hear.
Curious to understand the comment about format, if you could elaborate. Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 5:30 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

SCU makes a huge amount of money off old order Mennonites as they will not take any interest on money saved. Great deal for them!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
Nice to see continuous job creation and employment growth in the Steinbach area and the Pembina triangle. A lot of it is based on manufacturing of various sorts and flies in the face of the "manufacturing is dead in Canada" mantra that you often hear.
Curious to understand the comment about format, if you could elaborate. Thanks.
I presume your earlier comment about certain historical reasons for manufacturing prowess has a lot to do with the Paraguayan Mennonites that continue to prosper in the area?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I presume your earlier comment about certain historical reasons for manufacturing prowess has a lot to do with the Paraguayan Mennonites that continue to prosper in the area?
What about the Mexican Mennonites?????

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
That is a big part of it Simplicity. Would be great to study how those communities manage to adapt and grow when nearby communities with the same resource endowments and similar demographics do not. I have my theories but others would be more expert on that.

Manufacturing in and around Winnipeg also benefitted greatly from waves on immigration and the entrepreneurial culture they brought and which lives on today. Then farms shed labour and people who knew how to fix things and tinker moved to winnipeg. Many started companies bashing metal, machining, farm implements etc. many others became employed in industry and provided high quality labour. As well, Winnipeg was the only major urban center in western Canada until say the nineteen fifties, early sixties. So there were urban agglomeration benefits from that. Three railways meet here which is unique between vancouver and Toronto I believe. If you look at the origins of the great exporting companies we have here you will see their roots were modest and they grew organically. Of course it doesn't hurt when a Boeing plant locates here as a result of a federal industrial offset.
Anyways that was then and this is now. It will be interesting to see how we make out in areas such as biotech, nanotechnology, gaming, artificial intelligence etc. hopefully some of our traditional strengths will carry over.
By the way, I could have sworn the Mennonites were from The Soviet Union

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan