HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 8:07 PM

-

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 8:40 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Is The Mirror a news publication?
They corrected the typo, but it did make me briefly laugh to myself thinking that the German media was reporting on Regina municipal news ("Der Spiegel" is fairly well known and translates to "The Mirror").

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
https://www.620ckrm.com/2022/03/25/295599/
Provincial budget invests in Queen City

The Highways around Regina will be getting some improvements as twinning projects for Highways 6 and 36 near Regina and Weyburn will be their planning and pre-construction phase.

SaskPower will be beginning construction on the Logistic Warehouse Complex that will centralize regional services and support around the Regina area, SaskEnergy is planning the expansion of the Regina East and West transmission system, and through SaskWater, the Government is investing $52.7 million to support significant industrial growth in the Regina region.

Mayor Sandra Masters said she was excited about the investments made into the City.

“There looks like some increased funding in terms of municipal projects, so we are kind of hoping to be in on that,” she said. “We know there is going to be some money spent on highways around the City of Regina, which is really helpful considering some of the economic announcements we’ve had in terms of the transportation hub.”

“There is an increase in spending for mental health and addictions, which is incredibly needed, the urgent care centre for both Saskatoon and Regina; we know we need one of those here, so that’s pretty fantastic,” she continued.
Did you mean Highway 39 ?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
They corrected the typo, but it did make me briefly laugh to myself thinking that the German media was reporting on Regina municipal news ("Der Spiegel" is fairly well known and translates to "The Mirror").
The Mirror is a well known British tabloid.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Haha! Foreign influence in Regina’s downtown…

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 9:43 PM

Going into the old Co-Op location on south Albert:

https://regina.ymca.ca/announcement/...WSyulUIiK1cqK0

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
Going into the old Co-Op location on south Albert:

https://regina.ymca.ca/announcement/...WSyulUIiK1cqK0
Smart idea!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 11:21 PM

Does anyone know what the plan is for the former St. Pius X site once the new school with Argyle opens?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2022, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Does anyone know what the plan is for the former St. Pius X site once the new school with Argyle opens?
I believe some of the land will be transferred to the city as part of the deal, but I don't know much beyond that. Perhaps future infill?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I believe some of the land will be transferred to the city as part of the deal, but I don't know much beyond that. Perhaps future infill?
It's my understanding that the entirety of the land of St. Pius X will be transferred to the City in exchange for the land to be used as a parking lot for the new combined school.

From this Leader-Post article, it's 4.73 acres.

What will go there remains to be seen. I'd love for maybe some residential (row houses or townhouses would be cool) and some more green space.

That said, the school is progressing along nicely!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 4:05 PM

https://www.theprogress.com/news/chi...OiAgQR-Nx7JSEw

Regina placed first, Prince George ranked fourth, and Squamish ranked in last place.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 4:49 PM

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/regina...47400.amp.html

Consultant hired for preliminary Ring Road rail relocation design
It’s about time

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/regina...47400.amp.html

Consultant hired for preliminary Ring Road rail relocation design
It’s about time
I'll agree to disagree. It's a huge spend to move the rail lines. That's a lot of other stuff that plain and simple can't be done if you commit millions to moving rail lines.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 6:50 PM

The likelihood of it actually happening is pretty low. The cost will be astronomical and the new industrial plants will make it even harder.

I don't think Council had any intention of going through with it. They don't even have enough capacity to take it on as debt. And the province has expressed zero desire to help pay for it.

The consultant report will come back with a $150 million + price tag. And there will be a lot of political finger pointing.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 2:46 PM

I feel like they could have done something cheap by combining it with the largely unnecessary Winnipeg Street overpass realignment. The grade separation already exists and a rail bridge could have been added for probably $15 million or less. The Winnipeg Street project is $29 million and it provides little benefit other than avoiding rehabbing the old bridge ($4-5 million).

Our City engineers need to start getting creative instead of over-designing projects because the see the Federal infrastructure $ dangling in front of them.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 7:26 PM

Cargill's cushing plant will be out at the Global Transportation Hub

The most interesting part of the article is that it says they want the plant operating by 2024. This really helps the GTH financially but doesn't quite put it in the black (by my back-of-napkin math)

I hope this illustrates the point that generational infrastructure won't necessarily be a good short-term investment.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 9:23 PM

Specific to removing the rail lines in the NE. Viterra is already doing lot's of the leg work as part of their canola crush plant. The future CP main track is being built. Most of the work left over would be removing sections of track and building the N-S connection east of Co-op.

Really it's not THAT much money. Cost of an overpass/interchange maybe. The City is footing the bill for the land and other works. I'm not up to speed on exactly if Viterra is paying to build the track and will sell it later, if the City is paying or what.

The plan is basically whatever was done by the HDR study in the past. With updates being the Viterra crush plant. Co-Op complicated it a little bit by constructing 2 new tanks at the far NE corner of their property.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 5:58 AM

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...5eebeaeac/amp/
It sounds like Harvard is finally ready to move forward with their plans to redevelop Lakeshore Mall. It will be done in phases. They haven’t released their plans yet, so no idea what it will look like. They did release renderings way back when (2014 I believe), but they haven’t said if they will follow the original plans or do something different altogether.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Finally! Interesting that the Lakeshore Steakhouse might not be part of it.
Guessing back in 2013, Harvard Developments thought the Steakhouse would be a part of the new build. Maybe they offered to buy and the Steakhouse refused to sell?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
With real estate prices the way they are, that might have been a smart decision. Or not cuz I honestly don't know how much higher they can go. Also interesting that the Sobeys still exists in the original rendering but it sounds like they are going to tear the entire building down.
I think the original plan called for replacing the old grocery store with a new structure. Looking at the rendering, the front of the store is on the opposite side to where it used to be. Also, it looks to be angled with the narrower end facing the intersection instead of the wide side.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan